HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 04:10 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

vCash: 500
phanuef? gross

Old
05-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Arguably Gillis has also greased the skids to Schroeder leaving in a deal given his recent focus on getting bigger.

It all depends on one thing in Gillis'....how confident are they that Schroeder can contribute if he has some size on the wings.
He has talked about getting grittier, not bigger. At the AHL level, Schroeder has been willing to pay the price far more than someone like Roy. If that continues in the NHL, then I don't see why he couldn't earn a spot.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Apparently Stalberg is in the Doghouse:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story...arent-demotion

I'd love him on Van but I wonder if he'll get overpaid like UFAs usually do.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He has talked about getting grittier, not bigger. At the AHL level, Schroeder has been willing to pay the price far more than someone like Roy. If that continues in the NHL, then I don't see why he couldn't earn a spot.
Schroeder developed into a PPG player in the last half of the AHL season this year. He's definitely a capable prospect. Even the big bad Flyers have players like Danny Briere in their top 6 so I don't see why we couldn't have Schroeder. People are too quick to give up on promising prospects (I admit even I'm guilty of this sometimes).

05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post

Remember when he tried to get tough and Bieksa pummelled him?

Old
05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't disagree but Gillis has been looking more for size the last couple of years so I expect that may be the reasoning. Even with size on his wings he'd need to be just as willing to pay the price. The size on the wings opens things up for him so that he can more effectively operate. Rely on his linemates to do the bulk of the heavy lifting along the boards like Lucic and Horton are doing the heavy lifting for Krejci. Krejci is still more than willing to get dirty but his wingers give him a better chance at getting to those dirty areas as he doesn't have to carry a 220lb D-man on his back from the corner. He can search for the open ice and get position on guys.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:34 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

will Brunner become UFA?

Old
05-15-2013, 04:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
What exactly has Jordan Schroeder done to earn a guaranteed spot in the top six entering next season?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing, besides being a first round pick.

If you want to just arbitrarily reward players depending on where they were drafted, I don't even know what to say. I guess we have drastically different opinions on how you build an organization.
Who is the better option?

How much do they cost?

We aren't re-inventing the wheel in one year.

I see next year as a transitional year, give your talented players a look in a spot where you need talent.

Schroeder either makes the team, or he's gone....might as well see what he can do first dontcha think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Arguably Gillis has also greased the skids to Schroeder leaving in a deal given his recent focus on getting bigger.

It all depends on one thing in Gillis'....how confident are they that Schroeder can contribute if he has some size on the wings.
Gillis acquired Derek Roy at the deadline.

Never once mentioned size in his end of season presser, NOT ONE TIME.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Gillis acquired Derek Roy at the deadline.
Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but Gillis specifically said he only acquired Roy because we were desperate for C depth if Kesler wasn't ready, and Roy was the only one available.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
KeninsFan

vCash: 50
Wouldn't be fair if I criticized everyone else's roster and didn't post one myself.

Sedin ($6.100m) - Sedin ($6.100m) - Kassian ($0.870m)
Latendresse ($2.000m) - Kesler ($5.000m) - Niederreiter ($2.795m)
Burrows ($4.500m) - Peverley ($2.500) - Hansen ($1.350m)
Higgins ($2.500m) - Gordon ($1.500m) - Clutterbuck ($1.700m)
Tim Connolly ($0.900m), Matt Hendricks ($1.000m)

Hamhuis ($4.500m) - Bieksa ($4.600m)
Garrison ($4.600m) - Tanev ($1.000m)
Edler ($5.000m) - Diaz ($1.225m)
Kent Huskins ($0.900m), Ty Wishart ($0.600m)

Schneider ($4.000m)
Lack ($0.750m)

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $495,125

Luongo to NYI for Niederreiter
Roy (rights) for a 4th
Ballard + Booth for picks/buyout
Sign Rich Peverly after BOS buys him out
Trade 4th for Diaz (MTL). He's a PK monster
Trade Schroeder + pick for Clutterbuck + Tyler Cuma

Faster, younger, bigger. More depth, more options.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
On Stastny: It's essentially the same move as trying to bring in Weiss, Filpulla, Ribeiro or retaining Roy. The idea being to remedy centre ice for this team. The difference being that Stastny would be the most costliest of options available. Every other C is at or near FA.

I don't really care who gets brought in, so long as a centre ice is solidified. Of course, with the pending cap crunch, cheaper is better. Not to mention the assets required to trade for a player as opposed to getting them in free agency. So in that respect, Stastny seems the least likely of all options... if the Canucks were going that way, that is.
The thing is, while some players may well be essentially 'interchangeable' parts...when you're talking about the sort of big $$$ commitment for a $5-6.6M Center who is intended to be a key part of your 'core' offensively, guys aren't interchangeable at all. These guys are all unique players, and while the idea is the same...shoring up the center ice position with a bonafide top-6 center, each of those guys would leave this team looking quite different from one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Stastny is the least likeliest because signings are more probable than trades but IMO Stastny has the most upside of that bunch and is the best fit. Ribeiro would likely produce more but I don't see Gillis giving him the 5 years he's looking for.

Weiss will likely be a target but like Roy, he's on the smaller side and lingering injuries could be a concern.
Agreed. The upside is highest there, and if you're talking about Ribeiro or Weiss, Stastny is clearly the better fit to me. And when you're spending $5.5M+ on a key piece of your team, you don't skimp a bit just because one guy is 'easier'...you've gotta go out and get the guy you really want (within reason obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Upside, sure. Stastny is the youngest of the bunch, I believe. Fit, you also have point there, as he could play a shutdown role perhaps better than any of the options. But that difference is made up for by others in other areas. For instance, I dislike Stastny's footspeed, and it can be an issue. The others seems to move around better (Ribeiro is a maybe).

Saying all that, you do get the point that its easier to get that option, at a lower acquisition cost, and at a lower salary, in FA. So going there first seems much more likely to me.
As above, Stastny is a better fit than guys like Ribeiro, Roy, Weiss, for a variety of reasons. And like i said above...i'm of the mind that you don't build a winner by going out and buying the 'most available' guy just because he's easiest to acquire...especially not when you're talking about the likelihood of committing to that 'easiest guy' to the tune of $5-6M and 5 year term. IMO, you have to go out and get the 'best guys' not the 'easiest'. Obviously there's a point at which the acquisition cost tips the scales too far and you have to examine alternative directions.

But essentially (and this goes, not just for the Stastny example, but any sort of big dollar acquisition in that vein)...if you believe that Stastny is the 'best fit', you don't commit 5 years and $30-35M to the 'lesser fit' unless you've absolutely exhausted the options on acquiring the 'Plan A' guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoyal14 View Post
The Canucks absolutely need that reliable 3rd line center who is good on the dot, can play a shutdown role and on the PK, and can also be a strong source of secondary scoring.

Solution: Trade for Antoine Vermette. The guy went to the SCF with Ottawa in 2007 and helped the Coyotes get to the WCF last year, posting a solid 10 points in 16 games. He's a perfect utility guy and would fill the vacant 3rd line center spot on the Canucks nicely.
Would love to see Vermette as a target for this team. He'd be a very good fit here...but i don't think Center-starved Phoenix is going to be in any hurry to ship him out. At least, not for anything we'd have to offer. I think that ship sailed last year's deadline when he was moved from Columbus, and Gillis missed the boat on 'skimping' on Pahlsson the 'easier' or 'cheaper' option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post

Some team will almost definitely overpay him. I don't see much need for him here...he's essentially a slightly faster David Booth, without the physicality.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:33 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Wouldn't be fair if I criticized everyone else's roster and didn't post one myself.

Schneider ($4.000m)
Lack ($0.750m)

Roy (rights) for a 4th

Can that forward group score? I don't see how they do any better than the sad sack offensive push we've shown in the playoffs the past 3 series.

Latendresse is a MAJOR risk considering he can barely stay healthy, and when healthy, is as streaky as they come.

Clutterbuck would be a monumental addition, but I can't see the Wild trading such an important player for a guy like Schroeder (basically an unproven tweener)

Diaz would be a good signing.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:43 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So essentially next season is a throw away year and we shouldn't expect anything to improve? That's a tough one for me to stomach. Then again, there are those who still think this team is good enough, like three straight offensive no-shows in the playoffs wasnt enough and we need a fourth for them to finally get it (maybe?).
I think we will see improvements but I don't think we are going to become contenders again through moves made this offseason. My expectations for next year will probably be a second round exit (barring Gillis makes a big trade involving a core player). I expect Gillis to hope that a healthy Kesler and Booth (if he doesn't get bought out) + a new coach, some depth signings, whatever Luongo brings back in a trade, and prospects stepping up will be enough for the Canucks to be both cap compliant and semi competitive. Then the next year with the cap back on the rise, and the Sedins at least partially off the books, since I doubt they will be retained at their current salary, Gillis will be forced to make some big moves and retool/rebuild or he will be fired.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Verviticus

would boyd gordon even sign for 1.5?

Old
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
Can that forward group score? I don't see how they do any better than the sad sack offensive push we've shown in the playoffs the past 3 series.
At the very least it would allow us to actual roll 4 lines. I hate being a 3-line team. Especially when we have the travel schedule we do.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Petey Cee
reel gud

What do you guys think of playing kesler on the 1st line with sedins? They need a guy who can snipe some goals, and Kesler is basically a better version of burrows.

Of course only if the team can get some more centres (like roy for the 2nd line)

Old
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
What do you guys think of playing kesler on the 1st line with sedins? They need a guy who can snipe some goals, and Kesler is basically a better version of burrows.

Of course only if the team can get some more centres (like roy for the 2nd line)
i dont think kesler has half the patience or cycling down low ability as burrows. youd see a lot of good plays just shot too early

considering how i value shots, i dont say this lightly

Old
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Scurr

Quote:

Part of the problem with our depth now is having too many of our best players on one line. It's hard to build scoring depth with 3 of your 4 best forwards on the same line, it's next to impossible with your 3 best players on one line.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

I was hoping to see AV experiment with Kesler alongside the twins and Roy, Higgins and Burrows on the 2nd line. But Vigneault wasn't in the mood for having a plan B come playoff time, as witnessed with his handling of the defense.

I actually find it pretty mind-boggling how little we've seen Kesler play with the twins 5 on 5. Seems like such an obvious move with how well those 3 have performed on the PP. It's not something you would do very often - but when you need a goal late in a game...

Old
05-15-2013, 06:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
I think we will see improvements but I don't think we are going to become contenders again through moves made this offseason. My expectations for next year will probably be a second round exit (barring Gillis makes a big trade involving a core player). I expect Gillis to hope that a healthy Kesler and Booth (if he doesn't get bought out) + a new coach, some depth signings, whatever Luongo brings back in a trade, and prospects stepping up will be enough for the Canucks to be both cap compliant and semi competitive. Then the next year with the cap back on the rise, and the Sedins at least partially off the books, since I doubt they will be retained at their current salary, Gillis will be forced to make some big moves and retool/rebuild or he will be fired.
If those are the only moves I would say a 2nd round playoff exit may be too ambitious. We'll have a hard time making the playoffs in the new division, and even if we do we'd be out in round 1.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
**** no to Phaneuf on all levels.
this

I want nothing to do with Phaneuf

Old
05-15-2013, 06:54 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

Schneider ($4.000m)
Lack ($0.750m)

Roy (rights) for a 4th

NYI wont trade Niederrite for Luongo
Ballard is a buy out or maybe a 5th rounder

Old
05-15-2013, 07:21 PM
canucksfan100

Realistic Lineup for next year? I dont think Gillis will trade anyone with a NTC or any of our young guys. I expect him to probably sign MacArthur and Torres. Seeing as he wanted both this trade Deadline. Lain will probably replace Lappy and he'll prob bring in a Faceoff Centerman(Gordon, Halpern or Steckel). Corrado, Lain will be the youth he was talking about, with Schroeder being the #1 call up, opposed to Ebbett always playing over him like last year.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Clarke MacArthur ($2.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Peter Regin/Matt Lombardi ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Kellan Lain ($0.900m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jeff Halpern ($0.700m)/
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,069,444; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $230,556

Last edited by canucksfan100: 05-15-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old
05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Realistic Lineup for next year?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Clarke MacArthur ($2.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Peter Regin/Matt Lombardi ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Kellan Lain ($0.900m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jeff Halpern ($0.700m)/
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,069,444; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $230,556
Yeah, I'd say that's pretty realistic.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Realistic Lineup for next year? I dont think Gillis will trade anyone with a NTC or any of our young guys. I expect him to probably sign MacArthur and Torres. Seeing as he wanted both this trade Deadline. Lain will probably replace Lappy and he'll prob bring in a Faceoff Centerman(Gordon, Halpern or Steckel). Corrado, Lain will be the youth he was talking about, with Schroeder being the #1 call up, opposed to Ebbett always playing over him like last year.
Schroeder will not clear waivers

Closed Thread