HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Ilya Bryzgalov's comments cost him his job?

Old
05-15-2013, 07:37 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500

Quote:
The Flyers starting goaltender says he hates the media, but he sure does love to talk to them. The outspoken goaltender is gaining attention again for comments he made about wanting to meet Joseph Stalin in an interview with the Russian sports website Championat.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...207595461.html

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Giacomin

Who cares?

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Prongo
Beer

Yep, and Tim Thomas will take his place.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:54 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Lol at the American journalists who think their opinions are superior to others. And I'm not a communist, btw. I don't like Stalin, but I don't like ideological imperialism like this retarded journalist is trying to do. That's so amateur, it's not even funny.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Mgkibbles

The comments by Bryz were pretty stupid. Stalin was one of those "great men are often bad men" type of fellas. So yea, he was a great leader, did some good stuff, but at what cost?

Bryz shouldn't be amnestied for stating a harmless opinion though. Not like Bryz was responsible for the deaths of 20 million.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
That's so amateur, it's not even funny.
Other things that are so amateur it's not funny:

1) Bryzgalov's work ethic.
2) Bryzgalov's performance in net.
3) Bryzgalov's handling of the media.
4) Bryzgalov's bewilderment at the way he is approached because of his personality.
5) Bryzgalov's contract via Paul Holmgren/Ed Snider.

That's why he should be fired; not because he had an opinion, as ridiculously stupid as it was.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:59 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Other things that are so amateur it's not funny:

1) Bryzgalov's work ethic.
2) Bryzgalov's performance in net.
3) Bryzgalov's handling of the media.
4) Bryzgalov's attitude in general.
5) Bryzgalov's contract via Paul Holmgren/Ed Snider.
Your point being? This is still horrible journalism.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Ah yes. The inevitable media stupidity has begun. Stalin is viewed very differently in Russia than he is here.

05-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50

This ****ing place is getting more and more ridiculous

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:01 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Your point being? This is still horrible journalism.
Of course, but if you care that much about shoddy journalism then don't read or associate yourself with it. Eventually the owners of the companies allowing their writers to produce such terrible quality reporting will eventually get the hint.

In the mean time, you can sit back, relax, and thank HFBoards for being the ultimate news media source for hockey.

Other than that though...Bryz really needs to be gone.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Of course, but if you care that much about shoddy journalism then don't read or associate yourself with it. Eventually the owners of the companies allowing their writers to produce such terrible quality reporting will eventually get the hint.

In the mean time, you can sit back, relax, and thank HFBoards for being the ultimate news media source for hockey.

Other than that though...Bryz really needs to be gone.
Eh, don't like that way of thinking. Journalism has a crazy influence in the society, like all the medias. If they do ****** propaganda, people have the right to be angry and to say it. Anyway, I'm not gonna talk politics/media influence in English, as it's not my first language and I can't translate my thoughts on it correctly.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Bryzgalov's horrifying play is more than enough to ream him for. Philly media needs to go ahead and not tear into him for holding a view that, if I'm not mistaken, is common in his homeland. Stick to sports you hacks.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Krishna

I sometimes think the Philly media can't get any worse

And then I read this crap

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryzgalov's horrifying play is more than enough to ream him for. Philly media needs to go ahead and not tear into him for holding a view that, if I'm not mistaken, is common in his homeland. Stick to sports you hacks.
Oddly enough, I don't think anyone from a major media source has openly looked and explored Bryz's performance breakdown in one cohesive article. I think that pretty much everyone has pretty much just alluded to it in other articles about the team's struggles or works about other nonsense Bryz gets into.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I sometimes think the Philly media can't get any worse

And then I read this crap
It's amazing. I thought they were bottoming out with the TMZ job on Richards and Carter. They've broken through bottom and are exploring depths of crap unknown to most journalists.

I will say this: if his media conflicts are what get him bought out, and NOT his play, this organization has officially lost its collective mind. I truly hope that doesn't happen.

Quote:
Oddly enough, I don't think anyone from a major media source has openly looked and explored Bryz's performance breakdown in one cohesive article. I think that pretty much everyone has pretty much just alluded to it in other articles about the team's struggles or works about other nonsense Bryz gets into.
I haven't seen it either...maybe a couple sentences by Meltzer, but that's about it. Otherwise it's "Bryz bad lolz, universe joke ha." The people paid to do this analysis have generally been destroyed in that regard by fans discussing the team in their free time on the internet.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Brayden Pattison

Panotch has spawned. Quick, kill it with fire!

Brayden Pattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
It's amazing. I thought they were bottoming out with the TMZ job on Richards and Carter. They've broken through bottom and are exploring depths of crap unknown to most journalists.

I will say this: if his media conflicts are what get him bought out, and NOT his play, this organization has officially lost its collective mind. I truly hope that doesn't happen.
Richards' feud with the media certainly didn't help his odds of staying in Philadelphia. Whatever happened behind the scenes will never truly be uncovered. Everything written about what happened is all just conjecture.

We do know that something made the organization think twice about Richards' position, and his feud with the media did not help.

So while I agree, that it would be supremely stupid for the organization to just drop Bryzgalov because of his comments to the media, I will say that our Russian friend isn't doing himself any favors. If the Flyers could drop a guy performing decently on an awesome contract partially because of his drama with the media, I find it hard to believe that Bryz is not catching some flack if not severe warnings from the Flyers front office.

Quote:
I haven't seen it either...maybe a couple sentences by Meltzer, but that's about it. Otherwise it's "Bryz bad lolz, universe joke ha." The people paid to do this analysis have generally been destroyed in that regard by fans discussing the team in their free time on the internet.
There is a reason why I consider the collective of hockey minds on HFBoards far better than any standard media outlet; arguably all of them combined.

I will say though that it is almost uncomfortable watching so many journalists just flirt the real issue with Bryz as if they're afraid to come out, examine it honestly, and make a point to inform the fans about how they should look at things, perhaps in a way that they haven't thought before.

Our media in Philadelphia is atrocious. You could give media credentials to a number of random posters on this board and come up with far better content.

The only tip of my hat goes to Meltzer, but everyone here already knows where the credibility within the Flyers' runners lies. I will say that I personally don't mind Baicker either, even though she sometimes gets swallowed up by whatever Panotch is up to. She can't be blamed for that and generally has interesting things for me to read.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:41 PM
mja
Negative Creep

What the hell does any of that have to do with his ability (or lack thereof) to stop pucks?

As long as he's stopping pucks, I couldn't care less if he declared Philadelphia a giant cess pool, called my mother a crack ***** welfare queen, or had an autographed picture of Idi Amin hanging over his bed.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Just me who agrees? I don't care for his politics but i'd love to sit down with Stalin and talk. Hitler too, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan!

You can't claim to be a democracy if you demonise someone for having different political beliefs, within reason.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
i hope so.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid

05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Saying he has a positive opinion of Josef Stalin is no more of an issue than someone saying they have an positive opinion on George W. Bush.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Just me who agrees? I don't care for his politics but i'd love to sit down with Stalin and talk. Hitler too, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan!

You can't claim to be a democracy if you demonise someone for having different political beliefs, within reason.
There's a reason why there's always stuff about those guys on the history channel. People find their craziness' interesting.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:05 PM
zarley zelepukin

No doubt Bryz will get hammered for his opinion. It's an extremely unpopular opinion but I'd like to hear him give a more in depth defense of it before people start jumping all over him because of what he said.

I mean, saying the Star Wars prequels are better than the original movies? Prepare to get crucified, buddy.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:05 PM
MP92
Samoan strong

I honestly think Bryz is trying to get bought out. He's a smart man, and knows whatever he says to the media will become a huge story. He's purposely being controversial to get Snider to pull the plug on him. He most likely hates it here and sees this as a way out.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote