HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread XI

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2013, 07:19 PM
  #51
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well it's already started. Now Bryz hates Philadelphia and poor people on welfare according to the politically correct crowd.
It's not about being politically correct. It is a backwards mentality. I don't think there are many people that actually want to remain stuck in poverty barely getting by on the government's meager assistance. The simple fact is there aren't enough jobs out there let alone enough jobs that provide a living wage.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:45 PM
  #52
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
It's not about being politically correct. It is a backwards mentality. I don't think there are many people that actually want to remain stuck in poverty barely getting by on the government's meager assistance. The simple fact is there aren't enough jobs out there let alone enough jobs that provide a living wage.
If you don't believe that there isn't any people out there who willingly abuse the welfare system I don't know what to tell you then. I'm not even a registered voter nor do I care enough about politics to get into this argument.

There's definitely a lot of parts of Philly that I wouldn't blame any person for not wanting to go there. I say that as a person who lives in this city too.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-15-2013 at 07:51 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
  #53
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
If you don't believe that there isn't any people out there who willingly abuse the welfare system I don't know what to tell you then. I'm not even a registered voter nor do I care enough about politics to get into this argument.

There's definitely a lot of parts of Philly that I wouldn't blame any person for not wanting to go there. I say that as a person who lives in this city too.
Saying I don't believe there are many people that want to live in poverty is not the same thing as believing no one abuses the system. There are always going to people out there that take advantage, but I think the idea that people actively chose to live in poverty is backwards because that is what welfare and food stamps are. It is not some glamorous free ride in life. The idea that people receiving assistance simply do not want to work when there aren't even enough jobs out there is just ridiculous. There are plenty of people that work hard and still receive assistance because they are stuck in a low wage job. The problem is more complex than they just don't want to work.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:46 PM
  #54
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Saying I don't believe there are many people that want to live in poverty is not the same thing as believing no one abuses the system. There are always going to people out there that take advantage, but I think the idea that people actively chose to live in poverty is backwards because that is what welfare and food stamps are. It is not some glamorous free ride in life. The idea that people receiving assistance simply do not want to work when there aren't even enough jobs out there is just ridiculous. There are plenty of people that work hard and still receive assistance because they are stuck in a low wage job. The problem is more complex than they just don't want to work.
Have you ever lived in the inner-city here in Philadelphia? There's plenty of people that are proud of the fact that they live in the "ghetto". It's some dumb mentality that you're not "hard or tough" unless you live in a crime-ridden area or commit crimes. I'm talking about all races here too white, black, latino, etc. I've seen kids from all those races boast about being from the "ghetto".

I'm sure there's plenty of people who also hate living in these areas also but don't be naive and act like there's not people who take pride in the fact that they come from slums. I mean all you have to do is put on a "gangsta rap" cd if you never witnessed it in person.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
  #55
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
The problem is more complex than they just don't want to work.
I kind of agree...I think Bryz was being rather simplistic and speaking more out of emotion. However, I don't find it unusual for successful immigrants particularly from former communist bloc countries to buy into the Horatio Alger myth more than Americans themselves do.

Bryz likes history....if so he should read Mark Twain’s 1879 short story, “Poor Little Stephen Girard,” which took satirical aim at the poor-boy-done-good theme that permeated dozens of Alger stories....

Bryz should also maybe take some sociology classes

On a separate note the fact that Bryz is teaching his son goaltending scares me...Flyers might draft him

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:58 PM
  #56
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Have you ever lived in the inner-city here in Philadelphia? There's plenty of people that are proud of the fact that they live in the "ghetto". It's some dumb mentality that you're not "hard or tough" unless you live in a crime-ridden area or commit crimes. I'm talking about all races here too white, black, latino, etc. I've seen kids from all those races boast about being from the "ghetto".

I'm sure there's plenty of people who also hate living in these areas also but don't be naive and act like there's not people who take pride in the fact that they come from slums. I mean all you have to do is put on a "gangsta rap" cd if you never witnessed it in person.
It's more a symptom of a culture of poverty and yeah it pervades all races......

It's definitely hard not to generalize and think politically incorrect thoughts..anybody who doesn't is probably lying but definitely people have to be careful of gross oversimplification. I think Bryz is a bit guilty of it and a master philosopher like him should know better but hey he's allowed to think the way he does as do others..problem is when the rhetoric gets out of hand and leads to dehumanization (not suggesting Bryz is doing that just making a general point). Easier to kill people if your consider them animals etc....Bryz should know that....Germany didn't exactly like his kind during WWII....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:04 PM
  #57
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 500
We have to be politically correct everywhere jeez. There are some lazy sacks of **** in the city, as there are everywhere. There are also good, hardworking people without the means to get out. I didn't think it had to be spelled out that when you say the "ghettos" are bad, you don't mean everyone in it.

Also, the way the word ghetto is used now annoys me.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:06 PM
  #58
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
We have to be politically correct everywhere jeez. There are some lazy sacks of **** in the city, as there are everywhere. There are also good, hardworking people without the means to get out. I didn't think it had to be spelled out that when you say the "ghettos" are bad, you don't mean everyone in it.

Also, the way the word ghetto is used now annoys me.
You want politically incorrect ....We have a lazy sack of a **** goalie in Bryz......

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
  #59
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
You want politically incorrect ....We have a lazy sack of a **** goalie in Bryz......
Yes! Take off the PC blanket!

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:14 PM
  #60
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Yes! Take off the PC blanket!
Bryz is a poofter...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:18 PM
  #61
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Bryz is a poofter...
Polish people love beets! All of them~!

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:19 PM
  #62
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
We have to be politically correct everywhere jeez. There are some lazy sacks of **** in the city, as there are everywhere. There are also good, hardworking people without the means to get out. I didn't think it had to be spelled out that when you say the "ghettos" are bad, you don't mean everyone in it.

Also, the way the word ghetto is used now annoys me.
The society we live in today is incredibly soft. Nobody can handle criticism anymore.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:24 PM
  #63
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Polish people love beets! All of them~!
“Map designed to be offensive to everyone on the planet.”

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/...on-the-planet/

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:26 AM
  #64
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
CSKA1974 -- thanks as always.

I like Bryz the guy. He shoots his mouth off, but it's nice that he's so candid. That doesn't change the fact that he's a bit of a mental case. The Stalin comments are a little alarming, but based on what I've read, that's not so atypical for Russians. I'm just waiting for the media to jump all over this. If they haven't already.


Last edited by chimrichalds18: 05-16-2013 at 09:01 AM.
chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:35 AM
  #65
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
So Bryz was average at the worlds....barely above 90% Sv percentage and rarely made "momentum saves in marqee games" on breakdowns.

Inspires a lot of confidence but I suppose it's the media's fault...

Quote:
Ilya Bryzgalov (G, Russia): Bryzgalov's tournament play for Russia was rather similar to his performance for the Flyers, and the reception it received. There was more focus on the bad than the good, and he struggled to come up with momentum saves in marquee games when there were breakdowns in front of him.

He opened with an easy 14-save shutout against Belarus and was generally solid (apart from looking bad on a breakaway by ex-Flyers forward Branko Radivojevic) turning back 23 of 24 shots in a 3-1 win over Slovakia. On the flip side, he was just so-so in a pair of games of Team USA.

In the first game against the Americans, Bryzgalov was criticized for "ducking away" from one deflected goal, and for dropping his stick in a crease scramble in the other. In the quarterfinal rematch, Bryzgalov was pulled late in the second period after allowing four goals. He looked bad on three of the four goals, although only one could be fairly characterized as a soft goal. Bryzgalov's replacement, Semyon Varlamov, fared no better.

Overall, Bryzgalov finished with a 3-1-0 record, 2.20 GAA, and .901 save percentage. Varlamov was 2-1-0 with a 3.59 GAA and .878 save percentage. The team's other goalie, Vasili Kosechkin, appeared in one game, losing 2-1 to France while stopping 17 of 19 shots.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...rapup/45/51662

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:37 AM
  #66
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,372
vCash: 500
How did Russia play so badly?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:39 AM
  #67
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
How did Russia play so badly?
Too much Vodka and partying....

Russia is not feared like they once were during the Soviet era...seems they are more "individualistic" in their play anymore.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:45 AM
  #68
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,623
vCash: 500
I find that Russia is still more of a group of individuals than an actual team.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
  #69
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,199
vCash: 725
Has anyone with any credibility, said they think Bryz gets bought out and Thomas signed off the ufa market?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
  #70
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Has anyone with any credibility, said they think Bryz gets bought out and Thomas signed off the ufa market?
Randy Miller is the one with the news that TT was interested in playing here.

Now, Carchidi was the one who said the front office is 50/50 on Bryz. So anything can go right now. I honestly think they buy him out and admit their mistakes and move on. It is what they should do.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 04:48 PM
  #71
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Randy Miller is the one with the news that TT was interested in playing here.

Now, Carchidi was the one who said the front office is 50/50 on Bryz. So anything can go right now. I honestly think they buy him out and admit their mistakes and move on. It is what they should do.
Pannach says all signs point to the Flyers keeping Bryz, but we all take what he says with a grain of salt (maybe even less than that)

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
  #72
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,338
vCash: 500
To revive my earlier urgings about looking at a deal involving Halak, I came across this article from the St. Louis Post Dispatch. I'll say upfront that I don't know anything about the journalistic standards or degree of insight by Jeremy Rutherford, but it seems like a bit of a rift between Halak and Hitchcock.

Halak has 1 more year on a 4-year contract with a cap hit of $3.75 mil; actual 2013-14 salary is $4.5 mil. He only played in 16 games this season, complicated by a wonky groin, with a less than good .899 save % and a 2.14 GAA.

For the right price, I'd be much more in favour of Halak than either Bryzgalov or Thomas. Read + 2nd?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:30 PM
  #73
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer
 
OzFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
@howardeskin 6m
Finally got a definite answer ..will #flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov be back with Flyers. Pres peter Luukko told me today..YES !

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:43 PM
  #74
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
@howardeskin 6m
Finally got a definite answer ..will #flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov be back with Flyers. Pres peter Luukko told me today..YES !
Gonna be a fun year. I do hope he steps up his game this year.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:45 PM
  #75
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
@howardeskin 6m
Finally got a definite answer ..will #flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov be back with Flyers. Pres peter Luukko told me today..YES !
I still don't buy it. If a guy like Luongo gets bought-out that would all change.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.