Jets 2013 Draft Talk - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Gil Fisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Calgary has Pittsburgh and St.Louis' picks. Columbus has LA and the Rangers picks.
Thanks. So Calgary's (StL) pick looks to be #20. The other three yet to be determined.

Looking at that top 30, I really think you'd be better off with two in the 20's than one at 13.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Chevy likes big...no way he takes Domi
I agree, mondo.

Domi would have to be rated very high by Jets scouts on their list, and then 'slide' to #13. But I see the Jets liking Gauthier, more so than Domi. And maybe someone like Horvat, more than Gauthier.

If rumors - of the Jets liking a couple of dmen, to draft - are true, then I can see a trade to move up happening.

With teams having disappointing playoffs, and the cap going down, it will be an interesting draft day, and off-season.

Maybe teams are looking for a big dman with offensive capabilities, and will desperately over-pay to get one.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Thanks. So Calgary's (StL) pick looks to be #20. The other three yet to be determined.

Looking at that top 30, I really think you'd be better off with two in the 20's than one at 13.
should keep it in mind that some of the other organizations have been quite different then ISS's

Old
05-15-2013, 12:59 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Regarding Domi: he also possesses a huge amount of character to go along with his scoring prowess. His size issue is overrated, IMHO: he's built like a proverbial you know what at 5'9" and 200 lbs, skates extremely well, and is difficult to move off the puck.

I would not be at all surprised if the Jets took him if he's BPA at the time. For me, the fact he's another LW is more of an issue.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post

I'd prefer Buffalo's #8 and #15. .

Wonder if this would work?

To Sabres:

1st rd pick (#13)+Burmi+2nd rd pick

To Jets:

2-1st rd picks (#8 and #15)

Basically, Burmi (former #8 overall)+2nd - for this year's #8 overall and the ability for Sabres to move up from #15 to #13. Is it an over-payment for #8? Maybe, but where is Burmi heading- as a player?

I would think at #8, Jets could take a dman (RR or Zadorov), or a forward (Monahan or Lindholm) that they likely covet. But Sabres likely want a big dman, which they would get at #8, so this might not appeal to them. Their two forward picks last draft, syas to me they will want NHL players, now, not more prospects.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Nothing Is New

I have wondered if Domi isn't already physically mature with that stocky build but both he and Horvat may be there for the Jets. Reports I've read say both are character guys. Horvat is more two way with little better than average speed but good supplementary skills -faceoff etc. Think I like Domi a little better for the Jets. he will play big. His dad's size was non-standard also.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:09 PM
JetsHomer

Just looking over the history to get some hints for this draft.

Jets have moved up twice, both times in 2011. They grabed two long term defense projects. Serville at 78 went for 97th and 108th pick. Yuen was grabbed at 119 and they traded the 133rd and 194th for him. Jets have never traded back.

In rounds 5-7 they have selected 3 NCAA bound goalies, no other goalies taken in the draft. Two CHL forwards with size, and a NCAA defender. Three NCAA defenders taken. Jets seem to love that route. Our draft record as the Jets is looking really good.

Round one: Scheifele and Trouba two blue chip prospects.

Round two: bust round. Only Sutter has been taken in round two.

Round three: Lowry, Serville, Kosmachuk. Lowry has raised his stock significantly, while the other two have developed as expected for 3rd round picks.

4th round: only have one pick from the 4th and that's Yuen. He'll play for St. John's next year I would think.

5th round: Brassard and Hellebuyck. Brassard regressed offensively this year but had a decent playoffs. Hellebuyck... we'll what's not to like with about having the best sv % in the NCAA? I would think he's greatly improved his value.

Rounds 6 and 7 we have: Olsen, Kasdorf, Phillips and Harstad. Olsen and Kasdorf have taken big steps forward, and Harstad and Phillips didn't perfrom bad for late rounders.

I'm looking forward to this coming draft to see what trends hold up for TN. I'm hoping it's the drafting well overall one and not the flubbing on second rounders one :p

Old
05-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

2 drafts is not enough to get a sense of trends, IMO, particularly when you consider that the first draft was mostly still Dudley's scouting staff, not Chevy's. I would not take that as absolute fact about what Chevy will or won't do, IMO. Particularly since this is a very strong year for both QMJHL and Europeans and we finally have a large number of picks, I imagine some trends will be broken this season.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
2 drafts is not enough to get a sense of trends, IMO, particularly when you consider that the first draft was mostly still Dudley's scouting staff, not Chevy's. I would not take that as absolute fact about what Chevy will or won't do, IMO. Particularly since this is a very strong year for both QMJHL and Europeans and we finally have a large number of picks, I imagine some trends will be broken this season.
very much agree.

Also if i'm not mistaken there was an article/interview given during the lockout etc where they talked about increasing their european and QMJHL scouting.

i'm eagerly awaiting draft day!

Old
05-15-2013, 04:07 PM
mondo3

I've always enjoyed the draft; especially sweet now that we have a team. Hope that one day soon we get to host it

Old
05-15-2013, 05:09 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
I have wondered if Domi isn't already physically mature with that stocky build but both he and Horvat may be there for the Jets. Reports I've read say both are character guys. Horvat is more two way with little better than average speed but good supplementary skills -faceoff etc. Think I like Domi a little better for the Jets. he will play big. His dad's size was non-standard also.
Domi is starting to grow on me, no pun intended. He has played well at all levels and is one of those unique players that we may be missing. My hope is that instead of just drafting someone with size, I hope we pick the best skilled forward (in the GM's mind) that is available as that is what we are missing. We need skill up front and there will surely be a foward left for us to draft.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:29 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Domi is starting to grow on me, no pun intended. He has played well at all levels and is one of those unique players that we may be missing. My hope is that instead of just drafting someone with size, I hope we pick the best skilled forward (in the GM's mind) that is available as that is what we are missing. We need skill up front and there will surely be a foward left for us to draft.
Size is great, but scoring is better.

Domi scores at a pretty elite level for an 18 year old, but he is small. The question is whether or or not his size will inhibit his offense from carrying forward. His stalky build and leg strength should help.

Somebody should covet him.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Size is great, but scoring is better.

Domi scores at a pretty elite level for an 18 year old, but he is small. The question is whether or or not his size will inhibit his offense from carrying forward. His stalky build and leg strength should help.

Somebody should covet him.
I guess it really comes down to a scouting staffs take on his ability to transition his game. Might be a perfect high risk high reward pick for someone with three first rounders like Calgary or Columbus.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:23 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I tend to agree but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Chevy likes size and NA skaters. I also wouldn't be surprised if we branched out this year and took a smaller guy in the first round and possibly some Euro guys later on in the draft.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:41 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I guess it really comes down to a scouting staffs take on his ability to transition his game. Might be a perfect high risk high reward pick for someone with three first rounders like Calgary or Columbus.
Could definitely see that. A team that already has a decent talent pool could also likely justify the gamble.

Then again any team that likes his upside and isn't really worried about his size / transition could nab him. Button thinks he may be NHL ready right away.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:08 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

If Pulock or Zadorov is available I would grab one and be thrilled. If its Pulock I would trade Buff right away and wait for Pulock and trouba.

Just imagine a right side with Bogo and the two kids. Best defense in NHL in three years.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:13 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
When do you think JC Lipon is going to go in the draft....He been passed over twice but as a 19 yr old this year he scored at a 1.5 ppg in Kamllops (89PTS) and made the WJ Canada squad........He might be an interesting pick for one of our late 2nd's or early 3rd if he is still available............ as he turns 20 this summer, we can sign him and send him straight to SJ boost our AHL depth and have a project player for the jets in the future...........Thoughts???
Saw Lipon play twice this past year here in Victoria and came away very impressed. Very shifty little player who works his ass off. Could adapt to any role....he has always been overlooked and always exceeded expectations. Be thrilled if he Jets grabbed him. He has special hands, could be quite a sleeper pick...

Old
05-15-2013, 10:21 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
I don't like Zadorov. He seems like one of those overly optimistic picks, like a lot of mid/late first round power forwards are.
He draws alot of comparisons to Jared Cowan, a player I think is utterly amazing, care to elaborate as to why you don't care for him?

Old
05-15-2013, 10:46 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
Inconsistency & lack up offensive upside. With his size, ability & teammates while playing against boys he shouldn't have those issues. It's not really my personal scouting report; it's a pattern I've seen with certain types of prospects. If you have watched him a tonne, I'd defer to you. I am partial to forwards in the top half of the first round.

Jared Cowen still a prospect. He had a solid rookie season, but where does he top out?
I see Cowan as a #2 defenceman, primarily a shut down guy. He has offensive ability though, although I don't think it will be elite. maybe top out between 30 to 40 points, especially if he is paired long term with Erik Karlsson.

In that case the sky is practically the limit.

I did see Cowan play in junior and he was the best dman I ever saw at that level. He was to the dub what Chara is to the big show now.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:37 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
I was referring more to watching Zadorov. Cowen didn't look great in game 1 vs Pittsburgh. He must suck
In all honesty its just youtube highlights for me regarding Zadorov, just taken in more scouting reports about him than anything else, but they were all highly complimentary. Curious, do u know much about pulock?

Old
05-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Steenager

I have a feeling that Zadorov could be a modern Boris Valabik. A huge guy that people love for his size, but just isn't destined to put it all together a la Chara.

Anyone have any reasons why this won't be the case?

Old
05-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Nothing Is New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenager View Post
I have a feeling that Zadorov could be a modern Boris Valabik. A huge guy that people love for his size, but just isn't destined to put it all together a la Chara.

Anyone have any reasons why this won't be the case?
How well we old Thrasher dinosaurs remember Boris - the next Chara.
I think there is almost no resemblance to Zadarov - other maybe than remote ethnicity and size. Boris in 3 seasons at Kitchener was +20 with 29 points. In his only year at Kitchener, Zadarov was +33 with 25 points. Here's what a scout says:

"Nikita is a big man who skates very well," Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "He has very good mobility and his backwards skating is about the best in this year's draft. He will take the body and battles hard along the boards. He uses his long reach well and is an effective pokechecker."

Were he to be available, for us, I would take him right away.

Closed Thread