HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn:Did he play well enough?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2006, 06:24 PM
  #1
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Kostitsyn:Did he play well enough?

I think Kostitsyn had a very good training camp from what I saw. I believe he should've got at least a 10 game tryout with the big club. Lats had a great camp aswell but I think the Habs are hurting Kostitsyn's development by sending him back down.

What do you think?

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:26 PM
  #2
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I think Kostitsyn had a very good training camp from what I saw. I believe he should've got at least a 10 game tryout with the big club. Lats had a great camp aswell but I think the Habs are hurting Kostitsyn's development by sending him back down.

What do you think?
Yeah but it might speed up grabovski's development!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:28 PM
  #3
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
Andrei will be back up as soon as an injury happens.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:34 PM
  #4
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
He played well enough to make the team in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005...but not 2006, mainly due to the number's game. This means the team's getting better; a good thing. Hell; in the "Houle era" he'd be first or second-line material. Imagine the 2006 Kosty competing against the Witehalls and Delisles lol.



It won't last for long tho. I predict that Andrei will see at least 40 games of action with the Habs this season; I wouldn't fret over it.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:36 PM
  #5
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I think Kostitsyn had a very good training camp from what I saw. I believe he should've got at least a 10 game tryout with the big club. Lats had a great camp aswell but I think the Habs are hurting Kostitsyn's development by sending him back down.

What do you think?
It's a little trickier than that. Kostitsyn can pass up and down the ranks freely. Everyone else needs to go through waivers. That no doubt plays a big part in their decision to send him down (if that's what they decide). The 10-game thing applies only to Latendresse, since he could go back to juniors after this period.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:41 PM
  #6
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,028
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
He played fine, hed of had the spot if gui was simply just not there or able to get sent down to the AHL

Andrei can, so thats why

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:43 PM
  #7
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
No, he's not quick enough for the NHL. May never be. He has to work on that. If you're going to lack quickness, you have to at least be physical and go hard in traffic and on the boards and to the net, and he doesn't do that.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:48 PM
  #8
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate
 
Slew Foots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
No, he's not quick enough for the NHL. May never be. He has to work on that. If you're going to lack quickness, you have to at least be physical and go hard in traffic and on the boards and to the net, and he doesn't do that.
Are you talking about Kostitsyn? Seems like you're describing somebody else...cuz the Kostitsyn I know, although not as fast as Perezhogin, still has more than decent speed...he's not as physical as Latendresse, but he's still pretty strong and was going hard in traffic this preseason. Your assessment of Kosty's abilities are way off.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:50 PM
  #9
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
No, he's not quick enough for the NHL. May never be.

Who the heck are you talking about?

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:54 PM
  #10
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
No, he's not quick enough for the NHL. May never be. He has to work on that. If you're going to lack quickness, you have to at least be physical and go hard in traffic and on the boards and to the net, and he doesn't do that.
Not quick enough ? Once in a while a post has me scratching my head..... Are you sure you're you know who A. Kostitsyn is? He's got great speed...but uses it kinda like Kovalev. You've seen his speed in the Grabovski hilight videos. But dont take my word for it.

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/andrei_kostsitsyn
Quote:
Talent Analysis

Kostsitsyn is an excellent puck-handler, with above-average speed. What sets him apart from other players is his ability to handle the puck at top speed...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 07:04 PM
  #11
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,932
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
No, he's not quick enough for the NHL. May never be. He has to work on that. If you're going to lack quickness, you have to at least be physical and go hard in traffic and on the boards and to the net, and he doesn't do that.
If he is not quick enough how the hell did Latendresse make it?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 07:12 PM
  #12
HappyPappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Remember how last year we had too many guys with Bonk, Hossa and Latendresse doing well in pre-season. Hossa was traded, Bonk disappeared and Latendresse was sent down. This year we actually have a guy we can call up who can play on the first three lines. Injuries happen, he'll play soon enough.

HappyPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
  #13
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Speed does not equal quickness or urgency. Just ask Ron Hainsey. The new NHL is built for quickness and size, not speed alone. The offensive zone is so big now that if you are quick and able to work a short-passing game and have some size to carve out space, you are in good shape.

Souray is probably the fastest skater on this team, but he has very little quickness and acceleration.

This is one of Kostitsyn's problems.

His other problem is that we have too many players like him already and we need a guy like Latendresse to bring the physicality, crash the net and boards and still make plays.

Our top 6 are not "soft" but they sure don't create space for themselves in the "jam" areas, and therefore they are one dimensional, even with all their physical attributes.

Also, the fact that we only have one defenseman who can dynamically move the puck (if his other chores are lessened) means we need to make the most of our chances when we do get the puck in the other end, because we are not a threat on the rush even with all our speed and skill, that's for sure.

I think Kosty could play in the NHL in the right situation right now, but he's not the type of player we need right now, unless someone goes down, then he can fill in. He's not going to do anything unless he's with Koivu though. Koivu is the only guy who can make him work in the NHL at this point imo. All he has that is elite is his shot (range of releases, strength of his shot). I doubt he is able to set up his own shot at the NHL level. He can't even do it at the AHL yet.

All that said, I bet we'll see him in the NHL at some point this year.

If it were up to me, I'd put a couple of these midgets together and ship them off for a defenseman who can make a play or a tough top 6 guy. I do not like the direction this team has taken. I'll give Gainey the benefit of the doubt, but I think we could be more competitive than this. But there are a million ways to get to the promised land.


Last edited by tinyzombies: 09-29-2006 at 07:36 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 07:38 PM
  #14
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
I think Perezhogin will not finish the year in Montreal and Kostitsyn will be back as soon as he's gone.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 07:41 PM
  #15
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Andrei will be back up as soon as an injury happens.
yep.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 07:46 PM
  #16
Dr_Hook
Registered User
 
Dr_Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
I kindda agree with raketheleaves here; Kostitsyn has good top end speed when he's already in motion; but I too was disenchanted with his lack of explosiveness out of the blocks, and overall lack of quickness. He's smooth and fluid, but not quick that's for sure. If he ever improves that, he will become an absolute threat but until then, he'd be easy to defend against at the NHL level.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:05 PM
  #17
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
No, he's not quick enough for the NHL. May never be. He has to work on that. If you're going to lack quickness, you have to at least be physical and go hard in traffic and on the boards and to the net, and he doesn't do that.
Good description of Corey Locke. This is a thread about Andrei Kostitsyn though. Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
The offensive zone is so big now that if you are quick and able to work a short-passing game and have some size to carve out space, you are in good shape.
Kost has decent speed, has good passing abilities and knows where to go to score a goal. As proven on his first NHL goal against the Coyotes last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
His other problem is that we have too many players like him already and we need a guy like Latendresse to bring the physicality, crash the net and boards and still make plays.
As mentioned above, Kost can go to the front of the net and stay there. Not as well as Lats but he can do it nonetheless. He can also work in the corners and he is capable of making plays, for example, like that assist last night where he made the play from the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
All he has that is elite is his shot (range of releases, strength of his shot). I doubt he is able to set up his own shot at the NHL level. He can't even do it at the AHL yet.
All he has is his shot. And his above average speed. And his stickhandling. And passing. And he can take and throw a hit better than several of guys currently on the Habs roster. Not all these abilities are elite, but they are hardly redundant. As for setting up his own shot in the AHL, he does okay there too. But then when he tries to make the play on his own people accuse him of being selfish with the puck and not a team player. And then when he tries to set up a teammate on, lets say last years stellar Hamilton Bulldogs, its because he doesn't have the ability to set up his own shot in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Dr_Hook - you are absolutely right, at the moment he is incredibly easy to defend against in the NHL. Helps if he gets a reasonable chance there to say for sure though, doesn't it. Of course, if he played more than a handful of games where he received over 5 minutes in ice time then we might know.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:07 PM
  #18
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I think Perezhogin will not finish the year in Montreal and Kostitsyn will be back as soon as he's gone.
Imo Perezhogin doesn't make it past december... If you think about our current lines...Where is Latendresse? I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't start on the 4th line, and that Murray does. We'd be left with;

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Ribs - Kovalev
Lats - Pleks - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Murray

Imo, Lats + Perez will never be on the team at the same time. Murray brings something that neither of them can (not just physicality, but grit + speed, along with good defensive play, the ability to shot block and the ability to play the PK). You can't have too many flashy forward without at least having 1 line that doesn't have any defensive holes in it. I'll be surprised if Perez makes it past December...That's just me.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:08 PM
  #19
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
1 of 3 things are gonna happen with Kostitsyn;

(1) Gainey told him that he was going down, but expect to be recalled very quickly because he was going to try to make a roster move via trade.

(2) Latendresse will get his 10 game audition. If the Habs feel he isn't ready they send him to the "Q" so they can retain that 7 year commitment.

(3) He has to wait for someone to play themselves off the team or an injury.

I have a feeling it will be #1, we have youth depth to trade and the name being mentioned all the time is Perezhogin. I would not be surprised to see a move of Perezhogin or even Ribs (maybe both) to make room and to add another body. If your Gainey and you want someone that has some more speed to play with Sammy and Kovy maybe you make an offer like Ribs and Perezhogin to Vancouver for Morrison? From what I have read Morrison seems to be a tradeable player with the Nucks needing to free some cap space for deadline trades if needed. Ribs and Perezhogin in the West (plus Ribs and Perez don't haunt you in the East) would benefit their game and give them a fresh new start, Morrison would give us a good 2nd Centre after Saku and a good 2way player. Just a suggestion, I know I would like to see a Samsonov-Morrison-Kovalev line.


RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:08 PM
  #20
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Speed does not equal quickness or urgency. Just ask Ron Hainsey. The new NHL is built for quickness and size, not speed alone. The offensive zone is so big now that if you are quick and able to work a short-passing game and have some size to carve out space, you are in good shape.

Souray is probably the fastest skater on this team, but he has very little quickness and acceleration.

This is one of Kostitsyn's problems.

His other problem is that we have too many players like him already and we need a guy like Latendresse to bring the physicality, crash the net and boards and still make plays.

Our top 6 are not "soft" but they sure don't create space for themselves in the "jam" areas, and therefore they are one dimensional, even with all their physical attributes.

Also, the fact that we only have one defenseman who can dynamically move the puck (if his other chores are lessened) means we need to make the most of our chances when we do get the puck in the other end, because we are not a threat on the rush even with all our speed and skill, that's for sure.

I think Kosty could play in the NHL in the right situation right now, but he's not the type of player we need right now, unless someone goes down, then he can fill in. He's not going to do anything unless he's with Koivu though. Koivu is the only guy who can make him work in the NHL at this point imo. All he has that is elite is his shot (range of releases, strength of his shot). I doubt he is able to set up his own shot at the NHL level. He can't even do it at the AHL yet.
me think that you ,are far to have a good analyse of our players ...

May be you mixed the name of the Habs players with the ones of the Expos de Montreal ? The Allouettes may be ?

i like the " He's not going to do anything unless he's with Koivu though. Koivu is the only guy who can make him work in the NHL at this point imo. " ;


Last edited by goalchenyuk: 09-29-2006 at 08:14 PM.
goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:10 PM
  #21
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
1 of 3 things are gonna happen with Kostitsyn;

(1) Gainey told him that he was going dow, but expect to be recalled very quickly because he was going to try to make a roster move via trade.

(2) Latendresse will get his 10 game audition. if the Habs feel he isn't ready they send him to the "Q" so they can retain that 7 year commitment.

(3) He has to wait for someone to play themselves off the team or an injury.

I have a feeling it will be #1, we have youth depth to trade and the name being mentioned all the time is Perezhogin. I would not be surprised to see a move of Perezhogin or even Ribs (maybe both) to make room and to add another body. If your Gainey and you want someone that has some more speed to play with Sammy and Kovy maybe you make an offer like Ribs and Perezhogin to Vancouver for Morrison? From what I have read Morrison seems to be a tradeable player with the Nucks needing to free some cap space for deadline trades if needed. Ribs and Perezhogin in the West would benefit their game and give them a fresh new start, Morrison would give us a good 2nd Centre after Saku and a good 2way player. Just a suggestion, I know I would like to see a Samsonov-Morrison-Kovalev line.

Carbo has said that if Latendresse was signed, he would not see another day in Drummondville. Carbs is an honest man and even if Lats were to score a goal in his net per game the first 10 games, I don't see him doing it.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:12 PM
  #22
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,693
vCash: 500
I dont know for a fact that Kost is slow at the start, I do know he is fast at top speed but all this speed thing realy means nothing at all if like most forwards you dont have the talent to completly control that puck while your at top speed ( see Bulis)
Kost can control the puck and continue to control the puck even if he tries a deak or two ( dont see Bulis )

Latandresse protects the puck on the way to the goal ( uses his size very well) Kost must deak to get to the front of the net but Kost does have the moves to do it.

Thats why both are very good prospects.
Habs need size NOW, Carbo is correct but dont sell Kost short, he will be back.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:16 PM
  #23
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I think Perezhogin will not finish the year in Montreal and Kostitsyn will be back as soon as he's gone.
Agreed. Last year that would have torn me up, but the Habs right now have an excess of capable forwards and Perezhogin IMO has become expendable. I hope Gainey can package him with something appealing for a top 4 D.

As for Kost, he'll definitely play this year and most likely make it difficult for the team to send him back down again.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:32 PM
  #24
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Imo Perezhogin doesn't make it past december... If you think about our current lines...Where is Latendresse? I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't start on the 4th line, and that Murray does. We'd be left with;

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Ribs - Kovalev
Lats - Pleks - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Murray

Imo, Lats + Perez will never be on the team at the same time. Murray brings something that neither of them can (not just physicality, but grit + speed, along with good defensive play, the ability to shot block and the ability to play the PK). You can't have too many flashy forward without at least having 1 line that doesn't have any defensive holes in it. I'll be surprised if Perez makes it past December...That's just me.
If Perezhogin is still with the Habs in January, will you remind us that you said he wouldn't be or should we remind you?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:45 PM
  #25
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
We are definitely seeing different things.

I knew Latendresse was going to make this team when I saw those early video clips of his vastly improved acceleration in practice drills. That is why he is in the NHL today (congrats Gui! ).

Kostitsyn looks like he's gotten a bit bigger, but I don't see the likewise improvement in acceleration. Why not?

Perezhogin tried to put on weight, and I think he's still adjusting. I thought Julien messed him up last year. Hopefully he gets a full chance this year.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.