HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 09:07 PM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
I'll believe it when the shovels hit the ground.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:30 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
On the brooklyn arena. What was the reason for the delay? Economy? 10 years was just too little time?
The Brooklyn arena got held up by a bunch of lawsuits from people who didn't want to sell their homes (Ratner was initially offering twice the going rate for homes in that area, even too people who lived there less than a year) and people who didn't want a mega mixed use arena, residential high rise, and office building complex in their neighborhood. The arena was originally planned to open in 2006 but the suits didn't get resolved until like 2009. You also had the financial crisis in the middle of that, which resulted in a loss of some of the funding. Thats why you saw Ratner (the majority owner of the Nets and the project developer) sell a majority stake in the team to Mikhail Prokhorov and the arena scaled down from being a true dual-purpose arena to being a basketball arena where a hockey surface can be awkwardly jammed in.

On a side note the Ratner family is a very prominent Cleveland family (where I live) and word in the Cleveland finance circles after they bought the Nets (I got this second hand so take it for what its worth) was that Ratner never had any real interest managing a basketball team and was more or less indifferent to the teams on court performance, he just needed the team as an anchor to is overall real estate vision. Bringing a major league sports team to Brooklyn for the first time in over 50 years helped to grease the skids to get approval for what was a bigger project than what Brooklyn was used to dealing with.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I can see why the EPS targetting him in that DUI sting awhile back.
As I was saying earlier in the day... Where's the EPS when ya need em.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I'll believe it when the shovels hit the ground.
I'm with harpoon

Old
05-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Looks like Diotte is going to try running for Mayor...

Paula Simons ‏@Paulatics 22m
And right on cue - Just got an press release from Kerry Diotte announcing a special announcement about his future. #yegarena #yegcc

vinesh pratap ‏@vineshpratap 10m
@Paulatics I wonder what he will announce? #worstkeptsecret #lol

Old
05-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Paula Simons ‏@Paulatics 22m
Diotte will announce his intentions May 16, 3:30 pm, Coast Edmonton Plaza. Well, that's the first gauntlet thrown down. #yegarena #yegcc
Sigh. I wonder if there's any way he can kill this deal if Edmontonians are stupid enough to vote him in...

Old
05-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Sigh. I wonder if there's any way he can kill this deal if Edmontonians are stupid enough to vote him in...
Mayors in reality have very little pull in the grand scheme of things. They have a vote and i believe a tie breaker vote other than that they have no more vote power than an alderman.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:22 PM
chrisj

^ also deal will be signed before election... which means the city could wind up paying more in legal costs if it backs out.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:26 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
What else would $550 million buy?

A very good article that all local taxpayers should read.
WTF? Where did he get his numbers. The cost to renovate Rexall was put at 350M not 190M.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
WTF? Where did he get his numbers. The cost to renovate Rexall was put at 350M not 190M.
No idea, I couldn't make it a third of the way through. The article is also from January.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:51 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
What else would $550 million buy?

A very good article that all local taxpayers should read.
I thought you were against the city spending money on things for the citizens.

Crap piece to be honest. Costs for other cities don't mirror what they'd be for here. And even if those prices were accurate, excluding buying the Oilers and renovating Rexall, the bill comes to around 155M. You're telling me the city couldn't find that money over the next 10 years to build those things too? Edmonton is still growing.

Sorry for going off topic, I will leave my review of that "article" at that.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Hockey Nightmare

If Kerry Diotte actually wants to impress me tomorrow, he'll say something like "I don't fully agree with the deal that's been made but council made it and I respect that. If you want better decision making in the future, please vote for me for mayor." Not saying I'd agree with him or vote for him, but I'd at least respect him.

If he instead reveals a completely unrealistic "make Katz renegotiate a better deal" platform that's designed solely to get votes by exploiting anti-arena sentiment, it will drive me absolutely nuts. Imagine half a year of this crap playing out in the media and debates.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:57 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
If Kerry Diotte actually wants to impress me tomorrow, he'll say something like "I don't fully agree with the deal that's been made but council made it and I'll respect it. If you want better decision making in the future, please vote for me for mayor." Not saying I'd agree with him or vote for him, but I'd at least respect him.

If he instead reveals a completely unrealistic "make Katz renegotiate a better deal" platform that's designed solely to get votes by exploiting anti-arena sentiment, it will drive me absolutely nuts. Imagine half a year of this crap playing out in the media and debates.
If he's smart, he won't even talk about the arena, since it's a done deal anyway.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Delete.

Last edited by Q Continuum: 05-16-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old
05-16-2013, 12:10 AM
chrisj

Playground for the rich?

Cool. Didn't know I'm rich... I'll be there all the time for Oilers, Oil Kings, Rush and various concerts.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Playground for the rich?

Cool. Didn't know I'm rich... I'll be there all the time for Oilers, Oil Kings, Rush and various concerts.
Congratulations on your new found status.

Just watch out for the 99% protestors.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Yeah, never thought I'd be part of the 1%. It's awesome lol.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Playground for the rich?

Just curious but why would you think the Edmonton Rush would end up playing at the new Arena. Theres no Oiler affiliation with this club, they would only sell a fraction of the building, and would represent a poor use of the facility.

I suspect they stay where they are if they even remain here as a club as they are losing money year after year.

As far as "rich" I wouldn't put it that way but when lowest cost tickets are probably 100 bucks for most events its a more select market. People seldom seem to consider the layout of the new arena and that as described has a lot of luxury, loge, suite, and party seating but very little, if any cheapseats type sectioning. Its a whole different layout then what people are used to at Rexall. There is no "nosebleed" level in the new build. The top level at the new arena is still all very marketable seating. They won't go cheap. Only Oil Kings, and Curling, if located at the new facility, will be easily affordable.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Delete.

Last edited by Q Continuum: 05-16-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old
05-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

In other arena related news the NBA owners voted today to reject the Sacramento Kings' proposed move to Seattle. Looks like Seattle is going to be waiting a little longer to green light their arena.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:17 AM
gqmixmaster

Edmonton just got owned - not the worst deal but again another special exemption of logic for a sports team. Hopefully Katz doesn't pull what the marlins owner did and trade the team away and ride the minimum salary - not that it can get much worse than it has on the ice for the past 7 years

Old
05-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
Edmonton just got owned - not the worst deal but again another special exemption of logic for a sports team. Hopefully Katz doesn't pull what the marlins owner did and trade the team away and ride the minimum salary - not that it can get much worse than it has on the ice for the past 7 years
I'm highly concerned about this as well. I wouldn't put it past him.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Well sorry.

Must be nice to have all that disposable income to dump into a 30th place franchise while others struggle to make their bills.

Carry on. Obviously, my opinion is the minority. Guess I'll need to start looking at other options.
Going to one or two games a year is within reach for a lot of average citizens. You don't have to be a millionaire, dude.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:23 AM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Just curious but why would you think the Edmonton Rush would end up playing at the new Arena. Theres no Oiler affiliation with this club, they would only sell a fraction of the building, and would represent a poor use of the facility.

I suspect they stay where they are if they even remain here as a club as they are losing money year after year.
Fair point - I say they'd be at the new arena because I personally don't truly believe the existing Rexall Place will exist past 2016, no matter what Northlands currently says.

Actually, if I was a betting person, Katz will buy the Rush before the new arena opens like the Flames purchased the Roughnecks in Calgary... because if he doesn't, your second point will be correct, they won't remain here at all.

Quote:
Well sorry.

Must be nice to have all that disposable income to dump into a 30th place franchise while others struggle to make their bills.

Carry on. Obviously, my opinion is the minority. Guess I'll need to start looking at other options.
I'm not sure of your financial position, so if you are personally struggling please don't think I'm trying to put you down, because I'm not. I'm simply pointing out Rexall Place is filled on a regular basis, and I suspect most of those people are average people income people like myself and not rich folk. Edmonton is not Toronto where everyone goes to the game wearing a suit.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well sorry.

Well, you're obviously not the minority as any poll on the matter has indicated. But this is the Oilers board so it will appear that theres a different consensus here. But on the street little support for this highly public leveraged arena build.

I will say this as well. The perception of being able to easily afford multi hundred buck nights out is a perception borne primarily of what ones employment and income is like at the moment.

Which can change.

Myself I can afford it but I just can't rationalize spending money on overpriced pro sports.

Closed Thread