HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2013, 07:41 PM
  #126
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,131
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Wouldn't be fair if I criticized everyone else's roster and didn't post one myself.

Sedin ($6.100m) - Sedin ($6.100m) - Kassian ($0.870m)
Latendresse ($2.000m) - Kesler ($5.000m) - Niederreiter ($2.795m)
Burrows ($4.500m) - Peverley ($2.500) - Hansen ($1.350m)
Higgins ($2.500m) - Gordon ($1.500m) - Clutterbuck ($1.700m)
Tim Connolly ($0.900m), Matt Hendricks ($1.000m)

Hamhuis ($4.500m) - Bieksa ($4.600m)
Garrison ($4.600m) - Tanev ($1.000m)
Edler ($5.000m) - Diaz ($1.225m)
Kent Huskins ($0.900m), Ty Wishart ($0.600m)

Schneider ($4.000m)
Lack ($0.750m)

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $495,125

Luongo to NYI for Niederreiter
Roy (rights) for a 4th
Ballard + Booth for picks/buyout
Sign Rich Peverly after BOS buys him out
Trade 4th for Diaz (MTL). He's a PK monster
Trade Schroeder + pick for Clutterbuck + Tyler Cuma

Faster, younger, bigger. More depth, more options.
Long Island laughs and hangs up. There is absolutely no way Luongo commands even close to the value necessary to dig out Niederreiter. Try Schneider and they may listen.

Boston is not buying out Peverly. He has struggled somewhat during the playoffs, but has otherwise been a meaningful part of the roster and only recently signed.

You describe Diaz as a "puck monster" yet only offer a fourth? You realize he bought out this year, yes? He'd command a high second at a minimum, otherwise why the world does Montreal move him?

Minnesota blocks our number.

Honestly, these valuables are horrible for everyone not us and does nothing to consider the needs of the teams whose players we are essentially pilfering. Setting that aside, Latendresse is an inferior Booth, with Raymond levels of consistency; terrible player who goes in frequent lulls, refrains from any sort of forechecking and cannot stay healthy enough to matter. It doesn't help he makes Barker look like a fast skater.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:47 PM
  #127
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Long Island laughs and hangs up. There is absolutely no way Luongo commands even close to the value necessary to dig out Niederreiter. Try Schneider and they may listen.

Boston is not buying out Peverly. He has struggled somewhat during the playoffs, but has otherwise been a meaningful part of the roster and only recently signed.

You describe Diaz as a "puck monster" yet only offer a fourth? You realize he bought out this year, yes? He'd command a high second at a minimum, otherwise why the world does Montreal move him?

Minnesota blocks our number.

Honestly, these valuables are horrible for everyone not us and does nothing to consider the needs of the teams whose players we are essentially pilfering. Setting that aside, Latendresse is an inferior Booth, with Raymond levels of consistency; terrible player who goes in frequent lulls, refrains from any sort of forechecking and cannot stay healthy enough to matter. It doesn't help he makes Barker look like a fast skater.
My name is not Diaz and I certainly hope I'm worth more than a 4th!

(Sorry, the joke had to be made)

thepuckmonster is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:49 PM
  #128
SiCKNESS
Registered User
 
SiCKNESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Realistic Lineup for next year? I dont think Gillis will trade anyone with a NTC or any of our young guys. I expect him to probably sign MacArthur and Torres. Seeing as he wanted both this trade Deadline. Lain will probably replace Lappy and he'll prob bring in a Faceoff Centerman(Gordon, Halpern or Steckel). Corrado, Lain will be the youth he was talking about, with Schroeder being the #1 call up, opposed to Ebbett always playing over him like last year.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Clarke MacArthur ($2.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Peter Regin/Matt Lombardi ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Kellan Lain ($0.900m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jeff Halpern ($0.700m)/
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,069,444; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $230,556
if Schroeder needs waivers, then hell be the 3C or hell be a spare instead of a spare Faceoff Center like a Halpern

SiCKNESS is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
  #129
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,033
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
My name is not Diaz and I certainly hope I'm worth more than a 4th!

(Sorry, the joke had to be made)
lirl

would give future considerations though

Linden is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
  #130
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Here's my take on a roster with tons of versatility and some improved offensive ability, without really gutting things like the defence. Maybe a bit overly ambitious in one or two respects, but trying to stay at least within the realm of possibility, minding NTCs and such.

Trades:
-A combination of Schroeder, Booth, 1st round pick, or potentially Gaunce involved to Colorado for Paul Stastny. May be overly optimistic with this, but i do think a package of Schroeder+Booth+1st is something that makes some sense for both sides. And as much as Booth is dumped on here and isn't a great fit with our group, i think he's still a player who offers a skillset that would be useful to a team like the Avs, and he's no more overpaid than Stastny right now.

-Luongo moved for whatever futures we can salvage out of the deal. If we have to take back a bad contract and use an amnesty buyout to get something of value in picks/prospects, hopefully we'll be able to have one still available. I'm not even going to try to predict where he might end up, but assuming at least one team out there will be willing to take him on for some sort of futures package. Hopefully enough to help recoup some of the futures lost in the Stastny deal above.

-Ballard shipped out to whoever will take him for whatever we can get. If nothing, he's a buyout candidate.

Re-Signings:
-Chris Tanev to a deal similar to the one Karl Alzner got from the Caps. Both young defense-first guys without much of a leg to stand on negotiation-wise. In fact, Alzner was probably playing a more prominent role at the time. 2 years @ ~$1.2M per cap hit.

-Dale Weise short term @ ~$700k. Useful enough 4th line/depth player and actually showed up with some hits in the playoffs.

-Maxim Lapierre @ his current $1M salary. After a disappointing campaign this year, with his reputation and history bouncing around the league a bit...i think the current deal is relatively fair value for what he offers. With the goal of building up center depth, he's worth keeping around unless he figures he deserves a raise.

-Tom Sestito for a year @ ~$605k, or put the money towards an alternative heavyweight if one can be grabbed on the cheap. He's not a very good player, but he's big and sadly i think we'll still probably want that sort of 'goon' around for particular matchups and games. Not something i'd want to spend any more cap space on.

-Extend Andrew Alberts for another year @ $1.225M or less, or if he finds some sucker willing to pay him more than that...put the money towards an alternative 'physical depth defender', maybe Mark Fistric or similar.

Signings:
-Brad Richardson, C/W - LAK. Seems to have ended up buried in the depth in Los Angeles, but would be a versatile bottom-6 addition to our team. Serviceable LH Faceoff option, can play all Center or either Wing, has that recent winning experience, would bring a bit of skill to go with some grit for the 4th line. Just a good utility player who i think may get overlooked in FA. Somewhere in the $900k-$1M ballpark perhaps.

-Allocate something in the $700k neighbourhood towards a 'reclamation project' type player. Preferably someone with some skill and potential scoring ability, or versatility. The 'Jeff Tambellini type' spare forward. Rostislav Olesz would be really interesting if he is indeed bought out of that awful contract by Chicago this summer. Seems like he's still an NHL calibre depth player at least, held out of the league by his terrible horrible contract. Decent size, versatility, defensively responsible and at least a little bit of a scoring upside. Various other candidates for this sort of role, but essentially just someone with a bit of upside and as a worst case, still better than Ebbett, able to eat up a few minutes here or there as injuries/fatigue occur.

The lineup would look something like this:

Quote:
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Brad Richardson ($0.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.700m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m) / Reclamation Project ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,262,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $37,222
*Jensen could be interchanged for Gaunce depending on camp performance (and whether or not Gaunce was included in a Stastny deal).

There's also a ton of flexibility in putting together those lines. The above as a 'roll 3 lines' approach with Burrows-Kesler-Hansen as an elite checking+scoring line:

Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Stastny-Jensen
Richardson-Lapierre-Weise
A 'loaded up' look might look like:

Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Stastny-Kesler
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
???-Richardson-Weise
Or a classic 'Burrows with Twins' look and a 'youth line':

Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen
Jensen-Stastny-Kassian
Richardson-Lapierre-Weise
Or go 'all in' with Kesler on the top line look:

Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Burrows-Stastny-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
???-Richardson-Weise
Lots of different looks and combinations to go with, and having 5 capable Centers is at least a step in the right direction towards building up the sort of depth down the middle that the Kings/Bruins/Sharks boast. Gaunce making the team over Jensen would add a whole slate of even more permutations and looks to the lineup as well...with 6 centers in the lineup on any given night.

Long post, but anyway. That's my ideal-ish, realistic-ish take for the moment. More scoring, more youth, and not downgrading the defence.


Last edited by biturbo19: 05-15-2013 at 08:02 PM.
biturbo19 is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:55 PM
  #131
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,760
vCash: 5100
^That winger depth is beyond horrible.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:57 PM
  #132
SiCKNESS
Registered User
 
SiCKNESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Here's my take on a roster with tons of versatility and some improved offensive ability, without really gutting things like the defence. Maybe a bit overly ambitious in one or two respects, but trying to stay at least within the realm of possibility, minding NTCs and such.

Trades:
-A combination of Schroeder, Booth, 1st round pick, or potentially Gaunce involved to Colorado for Paul Stastny. May be overly optimistic with this, but i do think a package of Schroeder+Booth+1st is something that makes some sense for both sides. And as much as Booth is dumped on here and isn't a great fit with our group, i think he's still a player who offers a skillset that would be useful to a team like the Avs, and he's no more overpaid than Stastny right now.

-Luongo moved for whatever futures we can salvage out of the deal. If we have to take back a bad contract and use an amnesty buyout to get something of value in picks/prospects, hopefully we'll be able to have one still available. I'm not even going to try to predict where he might end up, but assuming at least one team out there will be willing to take him on for some sort of futures package. Hopefully enough to help recoup some of the futures lost in the Stastny deal above.

-Ballard shipped out to whoever will take him for whatever we can get. If nothing, he's a buyout candidate.

Re-Signings:
-Chris Tanev to a deal similar to the one Karl Alzner got from the Caps. Both young defense-first guys without much of a leg to stand on negotiation-wise. In fact, Alzner was probably playing a more prominent role at the time. 2 years @ ~$1.2M per cap hit.

-Dale Weise short term @ ~$700k. Useful enough 4th line/depth player and actually showed up with some hits in the playoffs.

-Maxim Lapierre @ his current $1M salary. After a disappointing campaign this year, with his reputation and history bouncing around the league a bit...i think the current deal is relatively fair value for what he offers. With the goal of building up center depth, he's worth keeping around unless he figures he deserves a raise.

-Tom Sestito for a year @ ~$605k, or put the money towards an alternative heavyweight if one can be grabbed on the cheap. He's not a very good player, but he's big and sadly i think we'll still probably want that sort of 'goon' around for particular matchups and games. Not something i'd want to spend any more cap space on.

-Extend Andrew Alberts for another year @ $1.225M or less, or if he finds some sucker willing to pay him more than that...put the money towards an alternative 'physical depth defender', maybe Mark Fistric or similar.

Signings:
-Brad Richardson, C/W - LAK. Seems to have ended up buried in the depth in Los Angeles, but would be a versatile bottom-6 addition to our team. Serviceable LH Faceoff option, can play all Center or either Wing, has that recent winning experience, would bring a bit of skill to go with some grit for the 4th line. Just a good utility player who i think may get overlooked in FA. Somewhere in the $900k-$1M ballpark perhaps.

-Allocate something in the $700k neighbourhood towards a 'reclamation project' type player. Preferably someone with some skill and potential scoring ability, or versatility. The 'Jeff Tambellini type' spare forward. Rostislav Olesz would be really interesting if he is indeed bought out of that awful contract by Chicago this summer. Seems like he's still an NHL calibre depth player at least, held out of the league by his terrible horrible contract. Decent size, versatility, defensively responsible and at least a little bit of a scoring upside. Various other candidates for this sort of role, but essentially just someone with a bit of upside and as a worst case, still better than Ebbett, able to eat up a few minutes here or there as injuries/fatigue occur.

The lineup would look something like this:



*Jensen could be interchanged for Gaunce depending on camp performance (and whether or not Gaunce was included in a Stastny deal).

There's also a ton of flexibility in putting together those lines. The above as a 'roll 3 lines' approach with Burrows-Kesler-Hansen as an elite checking+scoring line:



A 'loaded up' look might look like:



Or a classic 'Burrows with Twins' look and a 'youth line':



Or go 'all in' with Kesler on the top line look:



Lots of different looks and combinations to go with, and having 5 capable Centers is at least a step in the right direction towards building up the sort of depth down the middle that the Kings/Bruins/Sharks boast. Gaunce making the team over Jensen would add a whole slate of even more permutations and looks to the lineup as well...with 6 centers in the lineup on any given night.

Long post, but anyway. That's my ideal-ish, realistic-ish take for the moment. More scoring, more youth, and not downgrading the defence.


Stasny is a decent 50 Point guy, getting paid what 5M+ a season... Booth is a 40 point guy with size, great skating and only paid 4M

SiCKNESS is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 08:18 PM
  #133
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
^That winger depth is beyond horrible.
I can understand the concern. It leans heavily on young guys taking a step. Kassian would need to improve (but he needs to improve no matter what direction we go). One of Jensen or Gaunce would have to be able to step up and chip in decent 3rd line production. The hope being, with great depth down the middle, you can maximize wingers production. Someone like Stastny may very well be capable of getting some respectable production out of a skilled but raw rookie winger with a great shot. And ultimately...if we're trying to insert more youth into the lineup as Gillis has suggested...the way those young guys play is going to make or break our depth in most scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post


Stasny is a decent 50 Point guy, getting paid what 5M+ a season... Booth is a 40 point guy with size, great skating and only paid 4M
Which is why i think Colorado would potentially consider a deal like that.

The difference being...Stastny as a 50pt guy is still capable of making his linemates better, David Booth...not really. And Stastny easily has the ability to break 60pts in a better situation imo and has done it before. 70pts wouldn't be out of the question playing with Kesler on his wing. And Stastny also plays a more premium position, offers far more flexibility in the lineup, is useful defensively, on the PK, and might actually mesh with Kesler (unlike Booth) and/or provides legitimate insurance for Kesler's inevitable injury adventures (or takes enough of the pressure off that Kesler might actually stay somewhat healthy!).

It's an injury-prone, head-down winger (complementary piece) vs a true point producer who would give us that 4th standalone 'impact forward' (core piece).

biturbo19 is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 08:19 PM
  #134
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Long Island laughs and hangs up. There is absolutely no way Luongo commands even close to the value necessary to dig out Niederreiter. Try Schneider and they may listen.
You might be right about the value.

I've heard Nino has asked for a trade. The Isles look to have Strome, Okposo and Grabner as their top 3 RWs, Nino looks to be the trading chip. I think these playoffs have proved they need a better goalie and Luongo would sell a lot of tickets in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Boston is not buying out Peverly. He has struggled somewhat during the playoffs, but has otherwise been a meaningful part of the roster and only recently signed.
That's just what I've been hearing from some Boston fans who were more than impressed with Jagr's game. If they look to re-sign both Horton and Jagr then Peverly will likely be traded/bought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
You describe Diaz as a "puck monster" yet only offer a fourth? You realize he bought out this year, yes? He'd command a high second at a minimum, otherwise why the world does Montreal move him?
PK = penalty kill, sorry for the confusion. Montreal has a tendency to sell players their fans have a dislike for. Diaz threw the suicide pass to Eller and had a game deciding goal go off him into the net. I think they look to deal him with young guys challenging for ice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Minnesota blocks our number.
Value once again could be off. Minny will definitely look to get a 2C. Cullen likely walks and Granlund isn't ready.

I think Schroeder would be a good fit for obvious reasons. I wouldn't be opposed to JS in the bottom 6/13th forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Latendresse is an inferior Booth, with Raymond levels of consistency; terrible player who goes in frequent lulls, refrains from any sort of forechecking and cannot stay healthy enough to matter.
Latendresse is a good buy low option. He's a big body who may be more use especially if we have depth below to shuffle lines. Is he a legit top 6 option like Booth? No..but he is cheap.

Personally I'm hoping theres a buyout on a top 6er we can sign for cheap. Briere would be a pipedream but Heatley wouldn't be too bad.

RE: Boyd @ 1.5M, yes that's a little low. He'll probably fetch Manny type money in the open market. Comparable players in Nate Thompson and Jay McClement signed for ~1.5m however.

RE: lack of scoring from bottom 9. There's two ways to solve Canucks scoring.
1. Acquire another top 6 option (Like Statsny). It's difficult to have depth this way and I have doubts about Statsny/Roy/etc
2. Hope that by having players like Higgins, Burrows on the bottom 2 lines we get severe mismatches and score against other teams 4th liners.

Thanks for the critique.

kthsn is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 08:58 PM
  #135
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,347
vCash: 883
Would try and run with Sedin Kesler Schroeder and upgrade the wings a bit more.

LiquidSnake is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 09:36 PM
  #136
Nucker101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Wouldn't be fair if I criticized everyone else's roster and didn't post one myself.

Sedin ($6.100m) - Sedin ($6.100m) - Kassian ($0.870m)
Latendresse ($2.000m) - Kesler ($5.000m) - Niederreiter ($2.795m)
Burrows ($4.500m) - Peverley ($2.500) - Hansen ($1.350m)
Higgins ($2.500m) - Gordon ($1.500m) - Clutterbuck ($1.700m)
Tim Connolly ($0.900m), Matt Hendricks ($1.000m)

Hamhuis ($4.500m) - Bieksa ($4.600m)
Garrison ($4.600m) - Tanev ($1.000m)
Edler ($5.000m) - Diaz ($1.225m)
Kent Huskins ($0.900m), Ty Wishart ($0.600m)

Schneider ($4.000m)
Lack ($0.750m)

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $495,125

Luongo to NYI for Niederreiter
Roy (rights) for a 4th
Ballard + Booth for picks/buyout
Sign Rich Peverly after BOS buys him out
Trade 4th for Diaz (MTL). He's a PK monster
Trade Schroeder + pick for Clutterbuck + Tyler Cuma

Faster, younger, bigger. More depth, more options.
Doubt NYI does that, if I'm snow I'd rather sign a goalie or try to trade Nino for a younger goalie, perhaps for Bernier in a 2 for 2 deal. Doubt MTL moves Diaz for just a 4th, I'd say you'd need to make it a prospect or a 3rd for them to even consider. Minny would also be stupid to make that deal unless that's a 2nd rounder next year or something. I also think that Boyd Gordon will get offers of at least 2 million per.

Nucker101 is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 09:59 PM
  #137
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post


Stasny is a decent 50 Point guy, getting paid what 5M+ a season... Booth is a 40 point guy with size, great skating and only paid 4M
Stastny is a much better player than Booth and adds versatility to the forward group that Booth fails to. And Stastny has averaged 70 points/82 games thus far throughout his career - Booth around half that.

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:00 PM
  #138
mriswith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Edler for Backstrom.

mriswith is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:05 PM
  #139
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Stastny is a much better player than Booth and adds versatility to the forward group that Booth fails to. And Stastny has averaged 70 points/82 games thus far throughout his career - Booth around half that.
Just because I'd consider Booth as a compliance buyout candidate (yeah I suppose it's easy for me to say as it's not my money ); Statsny at a $6.6 million cap hit is still excessive for his current production (which is south of 70 points per season pace).

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
  #140
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 14,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Just because I'd consider Booth as a compliance buyout candidate (yeah I suppose it's easy for me to say as it's not my money ); Statsny at a $6.6 million cap hit is still excessive for his current production (which is south of 70 points per season pace).
I would be very weary of going after Stastny if he had term at those dollars. The fact he only has one year left is actually very beneficial. It gives you a season to see how he fits in the top 6...

IMO his game would suit Kesler well. Stastny is strong on the cycle, good defensively and is a very good playmaker. It's time for Gillis to finally get a premiere talent for Kesler to work with. No more looking for low acquisition cost projects.

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:57 PM
  #141
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
True he only has one year left - but it's in the year where the cap is going to be fairly low. Don't think we can afford to be so 'top heavy' (re: cap) with respect to the forwards. If we do, clearly some moves have to be made elsewhere (eg., Bieksa or Edler - or both - moved for cheaper players to fill those positions).

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 12:22 AM
  #142
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,641
vCash: 50
should be some depth bargains available this year if we cam keep a little space.

me2 is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 12:40 AM
  #143
iFan
Registered User
 
iFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Does anyone know when Gillis was meeting with the owners? Long summers kinda suck

iFan is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 12:58 AM
  #144
Bankerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 549
vCash: 633
Edler for a top line RW to play with Kesler like Voracek or Bobby Ryan

Schneider for a young 3C (Courturier or B Schenn) and a young no.4 dman.

You get better top end scoring, depth, and younger...only problem is you would live or die with Luongo....

Bankerguy is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:00 AM
  #145
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,384
vCash: 50
Biturbo, good roster! I really think this is going to be a long quiet summer for Canucks. They can only make small moves. I think they can make smaller additions and still be better than they were this season.

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:31 AM
  #146
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 50
We've been promised big changes. That's ill defined at best, but a wholesale coaching change will keep huge roster changes at bay.

My posts in this thread generally favour more extreme reconstructions (going back to when I joined), but I agree with Junior's post above mine.

Lu's gone (finally, one hopes), simply because after all the PR crap the Canucks have done making this "Schneider's" team would make it suicidal to move him.

Ballard and Booth are likely (and hopefully, for the rest of the roster) compliance bought out.

I would hope Roy is resigned, along some of our depth guys (Alberts, Lapierre, Pinnizotto, maybe Weise) if they're staying at about the same rate. Tanev is a fricking given, if he gets offersheeted or let go, that'd be the end of Gillis. We need him, point blank.

Additions...I'm looking for a Malhotra (please be recovered....he wants to play here) style center, a Torres style winger and an Ehrhoff style PMD. I've used existing or past members of teams as prototypes.

To be honest, these roles could even be filled from with in. We have depth centers in the system, but even someone like Gaunce or Mallet could be taught to be face off specialists, or moulded into a bottom six forward. Plus the going rate for centers will be nuts this off season.

For wingers, Kassian has done that role. If we feel confident he can play physical, not be knocked off, and in collaboration with our (hopefully) new coaching staff, not playing like he's afraid to be benched or penalized, we can stop the search. I'm somewhat pessimistic, and Torres's size and bulk would be huge for our third/fourth line. There is an outside chance Jensen could too, but he's more of a scorer then a grinder/powerforward type.

We're not getting Ehrhoff back, but if we're keeping Edler, we need someone to take some heat off of him as our PMD. Unless someone drops one for cap reasons (ala San Jose in...2009?), this is the least likely thing to happen. K Conn would have/could have/should have, but I can't dwell on this either. We can't fill this one internally, and it won't be cheap, and I think it's our biggest need.

TL;DR: I am hoping our youth takes that next step, and the other component of big change is the coaching staff being given pink slips.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:35 AM
  #147
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,033
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Would try and run with Sedin Kesler Schroeder and upgrade the wings a bit more.
This would be prefered for me as well

Linden is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:38 AM
  #148
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,760
vCash: 5100
Any of Gonchar, Streit, or Zidlicky would make a nice UFA signing, if we have cap space left over.

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jaromir Jagr ($5.200m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Marek Zidlicky ($3.250m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,025,944; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $274,056


Last edited by Vankiller Whale: 05-16-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:49 AM
  #149
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Any of Gonchar, Streit, or Zidlicky would make a nice UFA signing, if we have cap space left over.
As crazy good as Jagr would be for this team...that's a pipedream. Gonchar and Streit are likely to sign for huge money on the east coast (no travel, and no western connections).

Zidlicky knows the travel he'd be in for, and if he came that cheap...we'd be stupid to not sign him. RHD that's also a PMD...if I recall correctly. Even if not, I know he can play right at least.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:55 AM
  #150
ugghhh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Buy low on stastny if possible.

Edler+ for etem/sbisa

Trade luongo, ballard, booth.

Trade 2014 1st+ for a one shot scorer on half salary (ie cammalleri @ 3M)

Run 3 scoring lines, 1 checking line.

ugghhh is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.