vCash: 500
Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part VII

Let's dance.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Why would Clowe want to come to Anaheim, and why would he do it at a discount?

Old
05-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 50
Who the hell knows? It's just an idea if he can't find a suitor due to his poor season.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Paul4587

Clowe was asking for something ridiculous from SJ wasn't he? Which is why he was traded. Healthy Clowe at a reasonable price would be awesome but I think he'll be asking for too much. One of the best fighters in the league despite being a top 6 guy - he's beaten Parros before.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Clowe wanted an 8 year sign and trade. He's not coming to Anaheim with the cap crunch we have, he's in it to get paid, and Anaheim is one of the worst places in the league for keeping your money.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:59 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
"As Iím standing here today, Iím telling you it wonít be the same team next year. We made a lot of good steps, weíve got a lot of good kids, but it will not be the same next year. I promise you that. Itís not good enough. Itís not good enough."
If there's one thing you guys can do, it's take our GM's word for it (same GM that's a finalist for GM of the year). Regardless of his past 'dumpster diving,' he made tremendous strides with just three notable free agent additions (Winnik, Souray, Allen). Obviously it's clear that the latter two - come playoff time - proved to be not the best fits, but hindsight is 20/20. They had great regular seasons. The doom and gloom is out of place We can only get better from this year and that is something to be very excited about.

Now, all of that being said, the forward lineup wasn't as much of an issue if you ask me. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan swapped out for someone that has more of a physical presence. For one we'll probably after go after a Clarkson-type... also a Rinaldo or Torres for the fourth line.

But I think we're about to see a big change in the defensive lineup. Fowler and Beauchemin are obviously untouchable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Souray and/or Allen get hit with the amnesty buyout(s). I'm surprised that so many people are willing to trade Sbisa after the playoff performance he just put up as well. He was easily right alongside Lovejoy as our 3rd/4th best defenseman behind Beauchemin and Fowler. For the salary he comes at as well, it doesn't make any sense to trade him unless we're getting a better defender (if that's the case count me in).

Judging by our relationship with Philadelphia, if they're looking to unload the defense and move forward with a younger team, I'd be thrilled with a Coburn acquisition. Meszaros.... not so much but that's another deal I could see happening.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:05 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
If there's one thing you guys can do, it's take our GM's word for it (same GM that's a finalist for GM of the year). Regardless of his past 'dumpster diving,' he made tremendous strides with just three notable free agent additions (Winnik, Souray, Allen). Obviously it's clear that the latter two - come playoff time - proved to be not the best fits, but hindsight is 20/20. They had great regular seasons. The doom and gloom is out of place We can only get better from this year and that is something to be very excited about.

Now, all of that being said, the forward lineup wasn't as much of an issue if you ask me. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan swapped out for someone that has more of a physical presence. For one we'll probably after go after a Clarkson-type... also a Rinaldo or Torres for the fourth line.

But I think we're about to see a big change in the defensive lineup. Fowler and Beauchemin are obviously untouchable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Souray and/or Allen get hit with the amnesty buyout(s). I'm surprised that so many people are willing to trade Sbisa after the playoff performance he just put up as well. He was easily right alongside Lovejoy as our 3rd/4th best defenseman behind Beauchemin and Fowler. For the salary he comes at as well, it doesn't make any sense to trade him unless we're getting a better defender (if that's the case count me in).

Judging by our relationship with Philadelphia, if they're looking to unload the defense and move forward with a younger team, I'd be thrilled with a Coburn acquisition. Meszaros.... not so much but that's another deal I could see happening.
No. Sbisa was Sbisa. He was awful in the playoffs. Not sure what games you were watching. He was looking like the fringe 3rd pairing defenseman that he is

Old
05-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Dirk316

Souray at times was our best dman he should not be playing top2 min obviously but lol at wanting to get rid of him. Besides leadership and toughness his shot from the point is one the teams best weapons. Allen wasnt bad as well. The team needs to replace Lydman and Lovejoy.
Trading Ryan for one top pairing dman is the priority.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post

Sbisa has the same hockey IQ as a bag of carrots.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Souray at times was our best dman he should not be playing top2 min obviously but lol at wanting to get rid of him. Besides leadership and toughness his shot from the point is one the teams best weapons. Allen wasnt bad as well. The team needs to replace Lydman and Lovejoy.
Lovejoy was one of our best defensemen in the playoffs and late in the year once he got acclimated.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Souray has better offensive instincts than Allen (by about 1000%) but he seems unable to skate, he couldn't get a shot through from the point the last part of the year (as the Dallas posters said would happen) and was causing turnovers by a failure to react to pucks that were his responsibility late in the year and in the playoffs. I think the team needs one of the two on the 3rd pairing, not both. Allen was the 4/5 I think they thought they were getting by the end of the year. Souray might be better than him in that role but Allen was a MUCH faster skater than Souray by the end of the season.

I think Lovejoy is a great #6, not sure what the dislike is. I also think Lydman is a far better defensive defenseman than anyone on the team but Beauchemin, especially when played on the left where he belongs. There's hoody on the team to replace him right now.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Who is the free agent at the Worlds that Murray thought he might be able to sign, but who isn't interested?

Old
05-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Who is the free agent at the Worlds that Murray thought he might be able to sign, but who isn't interested?
Did they mention a team?

Old
05-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Did they mention a team?
Quote:
On attending the World Championships
Itís too late. I wish I could. Gibby [John Gibson] is there and heís playing really well there. There arenít a lot of free agents there this year, either. I thought there was a free agent I could go and get there right now, but Iíve had two people there. The indication is there is no free agent for me right there, right now. I think I should take some time and meet with some people here, coaches first, and veterans next week, and figure out where weíre going.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|ANA|home

Old
05-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Hey234

Quote:
That's just wrong. If every signed player from the roster comes back (not traded), the ducks have 52 out of the 63 million dollar cap eaten up. That's with 8/12 forwards and 5/6 defense men. 11 million for 5 players is not much at all. It's doable but that leaves no room at all for any kind of a big name without a trade.
Every team is going to be really close to the cap. It is dropping dramatically. It is the reason why players like Luongo might have to be bought out.

The Ducks will spend what the need to this year as the cap is much closer to what the team normally pays in actual salary. They will fill the roster with young, cheap players and resign the good, young, and cheap players. When the cap goes up the year after, and it will, the Ducks will gain more room.

I am not arguing against dropping salary on this team because I think we should. However, this is just not the summer to be trading goalies. The value for top-end goalies is low due to the number available and there doesn't seem to be a large market for them in the first place. Furthermore, as Emerald Duck alluded to a number of posts ago, trading at the deadline will probably not maximize either goalies value either.

Goaltending is not an area you want to have issues with. Trading proven goaltenders in the hope that untested/barely tested goaltenders will carry the load is a gamble and is not necessary.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey234 View Post
Every team is going to be really close to the cap. It is dropping dramatically. It is the reason why players like Luongo might have to be bought out.

The Ducks will spend what the need to this year as the cap is much closer to what the team normally pays in actual salary. They will fill the roster with young, cheap players and resign the good, young, and cheap players. When the cap goes up the year after, and it will, the Ducks will gain more room.

I am not arguing against dropping salary on this team because I think we should. However, this is just not the summer to be trading goalies. The value for top-end goalies is low due to the number available and there doesn't seem to be a large market for them in the first place. Furthermore, as Emerald Duck alluded to a number of posts ago, trading at the deadline will probably not maximize either goalies value either.

Goaltending is not an area you want to have issues with. Trading proven goaltenders in the hope that untested/barely tested goaltenders will carry the load is a gamble and is not necessary.
Hiller has proven he will not win us a Cup. If cutting him loose now gets us a return as well as a bit of cap relief it's worth doing. We're going nowhere with him, it isn't that big a risk to give the job to Viktor next year. If Andersen can't cut it as backup and we have to sign a 500K vet to back up, so be it.

Hiller's time here is done. Either we get something for him now or he walks for free next year.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:39 AM
AngelDuck

I'm with Eddie on this one. I don't see trading Hiller as some huge risk. We have a guy who played extremely well in the AHL this year in Andersen, and Fasth who has proven he is capable of starting to this point, and we have arguably the best G prospect in the world in Gibson.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:48 AM
2faded

Something I think people forget to think about, is that our "internal budget" may not be year to year. Meaning, the only comments I have read is that our owners wont spend over X amount of millions each year. Maybe not.

For example, say our internal budget is 60m. Dropping 4m in salary may allow the owners to spend 64, the next season. Having a budget doesn't necessarily mean they only spend up to 60m each season.

One last thing to think about, expanding on the paragraph above. What if this was reason why we had a low internal budget that last couple years and it was part of the plan. Cut back on spending for a couple years while rebuilding and time it so that when our prospects are NHL ready, we have all star talent, and we saved enough from the last few years to spend to the cap the next couple years to make runs. Possibly making up profits during the next few playoffs to cover the losses we may have had in the past few while growing the fanbase because we are a successful team again.

Damn I should be a GM. Or maybe I'm just really high.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:51 AM
pesko

Quote:
I agree, except on Lovejoy. He was good for his role and price, especially later in the season, and one of the better puck movers in the defense. And he's a right hander.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:56 AM
2faded

Quote:
What about the complete lack of any breakout pass being the main reason we spent most of the games in our zone and arguably one the of main reasons we lost? How did that crease clearing work out with Souray and Allen? Maybe keep one, not both. And I'm not so sure if we should keep Sbisa either. But it's hard to replace more than 1-2 in an offseason.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:54 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
His shots go on net like 30% of the time at best.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:14 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
I'm guessing Patrick Thoresen, who the Ducks wanted a couple of years ago.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:20 AM
Elvs

I'm very interested in seeing what Murray means by his comments. How is this not going to be basically the same team next year? Getzlaf and Perry aren't going anywhere, he's trying to re-sign Koivu and Selanne decides his own faith. Beauchemin and Fowler aren't going anywhere either, and I imagine he would re-sign Lovejoy as he recently gave up a draft pick for him.

So who is he going to trade? Allen and Souray will be difficult to move, the only way he's getting rid of one of them is if a bad contract comes in return. I can't imagine that he will be looking to trade Palmieri, Etem, Cogliano, Winnik or Bonino either. That leaves Ryan and Hiller, and if Selanne retires I doubt Ryan will be gone.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:57 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

This board is way to hard on Allen, he played fine the last quarter of the year, he provides more toughness on D, he should ideally be primarily 3rd pair and PK. depending on matchups, he just sucks when he has the puck more than 2 seconds unfortunately.

and yeah unless BM will finally move BR, i don't see how he can really change the team. but i'd caution selling low on him at the same time

defense has to be addressed, we have a surplus of forwards. Maroon deserves to be here, DSP you'd think will be alot hungrier come september, AND Don't forget Laganiere he could be ready to step in immediately and he's a big forward.

for some reason i just think DSP, our 1st, sbisa, Ryan, and Holland are going to be talked about can some combination of that bring us what we need?

Last edited by KEEROLE Vatanen: 05-16-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old
05-16-2013, 04:14 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
I'm very interested in seeing what Murray means by his comments. How is this not going to be basically the same team next year? Getzlaf and Perry aren't going anywhere, he's trying to re-sign Koivu and Selanne decides his own faith. Beauchemin and Fowler aren't going anywhere either, and I imagine he would re-sign Lovejoy as he recently gave up a draft pick for him.

So who is he going to trade? Allen and Souray will be difficult to move, the only way he's getting rid of one of them is if a bad contract comes in return. I can't imagine that he will be looking to trade Palmieri, Etem, Cogliano, Winnik or Bonino either. That leaves Ryan and Hiller, and if Selanne retires I doubt Ryan will be gone.
If he trades Etem, Bonino or Palms, fire him please.

Closed Thread