HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1 Thoughts

Old
05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

vCash: 500
The Hawks are just too good, we aren't at that level, to have any chance at all, Howard would have to be a wall a la Giguere 2003 or Hasek in the late 90s and we'd have to be very opportunistic scoring. I don't see either happening enough to win 4 or even 3 games. A win is perhaps possible but everything beyond seems far-fetched.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
You don't need 20 SOG necessarily, you just need to move the puck up the ice smoothly and efficiently.
I'm not sure if he would have made much difference. Hawks get on our D and F really quickly. Even our better stickhandlers didnt have much time and space to do anything. I dont think a guy just out of college can fend off and make play

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:36 PM
lilidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sports View Post
It's only one game. We looked terrible in the 3rd. Howard kept us in the game.Dan Cleary is the worst player in the NHL. I really wish Babcock would sit him and he does not get re-signed next season.Smith is terrible.
you and me probably watch different game

lilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:43 PM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
I'm not sure if he would have made much difference. Hawks get on our D and F really quickly. Even our better stickhandlers didnt have much time and space to do anything. I dont think a guy just out of college can fend off and make play
While I agree that he won't win us games single handedly, I think having him makes us obviously better at getting out of our end, and therefore makes this a closer and more competitive game. We didn't play awful all 60 minutes. I'm not saying we would win the series in 4 or 5 games. I just think that if we are able to generate more of an attack consistently throughout this past game, the outcome would likely look different than it did. Maybe we lose 5-3 on an EN goal, or maybe we lose 2-1 in OT. I just think that with a bit more help back there it is a different game. The Hawks are good, but I don't think they are unbeatable.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:45 PM
lilidk

Bert under 8 min , i'd rather see TOTO next game at list he can bring speed and energy

lilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:46 PM
TKB

vCash: 433
Not a good night, but not the end of the world boys....

President's Trophy winner takes game 1 at home = dog bites man.

Scotty Bowman always said the key game in any series is game 2.

TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Licklas Nidstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilidk View Post
Bert under 8 min , i'd rather see TOTO next game at list he can bring speed and energy
Last series I would've been all about bringing tootoo back...but against the Hawks I think that would just be one or two more penalties per game that we're going to have a lot of trouble killing.

Licklas Nidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Cbdudek
Goalie/Referee/Geek

vCash: 567
Hawks were dominant in second and third periods. Wings can and will come back with a better performance in game 2. This series is at least going 6 games so long as the Wings don't roll over for the Hawks.

Cbdudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Sameheda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Not a good night, but not the end of the world boys....

President's Trophy winner takes game 1 at home = dog bites man.

Scotty Bowman always said the key game in any series is game 2.
Well put.

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:03 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The Hawks are just too good, we aren't at that level, to have any chance at all, Howard would have to be a wall a la Giguere 2003 or Hasek in the late 90s and we'd have to be very opportunistic scoring. I don't see either happening enough to win 4 or even 3 games. A win is perhaps possible but everything beyond seems far-fetched.

no, the hawks weren't that great.

Detroit played terribly. It's that simple. Giveaways and failed clears all game long.

Chicago does not have the greatest defense ever. They just have a mobile one. They can be exploited.

The first period was somewhat how Detroit has to play. They have to be physical. They have to trap in the neutral zone and be patient for turnovers. Chicago's D gets caught deep sometimes.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:11 PM
fimoknete

at least the hawks can simply overpower the babcock defensive brick wall hockey with skill. this is the only reason there is not a ugly hockey garbage like the ducks series. this was unwatchable despite the result. beating the ducks is always a good thing.
but watching all the amazing player the hawks have makes me jealous. i wish we could get rid of the rubbish we have on our roster. just keep howard, dats and zetta and replace the others with random guys. we should have the same result the next season then.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:16 PM
TatarTangle

Gut says after the first game the Red Wings are a combination of too old and slow for the Hawks (doesn't matter how much of a 'playoff warrior' Cleary is), who look twice as fast as the Red Wings, and inexperienced (Smith looked horrendous). The Hawks beat them to every puck, every chance the Red Wings tried to clear the puck a Hawk was there, they're just flat out faster. Doesn't help the Red Wings ran around like a chicken with it's head cut-off in their own zone.

Crawford isn't as good as his stats tell. Get pucks and pressure on the guy and he'll fold. But can the Red Wings do it? Jimmy will outplay Crawford, there isn't any question about it. The Red Wings just have to find a way to get to Crawford and help Jimmy.

Bertuzzi is useless on the fourth line. Either play him with Datysuk or scratch him.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:25 PM
LandofLincoln

Stalberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Chicago scratched a player that would be playing on our 1st line right now. I thought that pretty much sums it up.
Victor Stalberg yeah he is a solid player. He is going to be a UFA the Hawks can't keep. I think he will be wearing a Wings sweater next season. He had 20Gs last season with no PP time. Had a good regular season and average at best first round series. So that was why he was scratched, I was surprised he was scratched and he probably plays the rest of the series.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:48 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Completely dominated by the Hawks. Jimmy made it look close, but the Wings were never able to threaten the Hawks again after Brunner scored.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:15 AM
odin1981

To me it looked like outside of the first period and the third line we just didn't have any gas in the tank. Unfortunate because jimmy did his best to keep us in the game. Hopefully game 2 we come out with our legs on.

I hope babs doesn't put d and z together again. We do not have enough depth with them together on one line. I understand he tried to get something going but when that happened it coincided with their offense waking up as well.

odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:27 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
You don't need 20 SOG necessarily, you just need to move the puck up the ice smoothly and efficiently.
if d-men had been able to move the puck out, chicago would not have had 40+ shots, and DRW would have had more than 20, just based on time of possession.

number of errors in defensive zone was embarrassing.

i thought the F's were much less a problem than d-men. when F's had time in the offensive zone, they were able to create shots and some chances. but they spent most of last 40 minutes on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Victor Stalberg yeah he is a solid player. He is going to be a UFA the Hawks can't keep. I think he will be wearing a Wings sweater next season. He had 20Gs last season with no PP time. Had a good regular season and average at best first round series. So that was why he was scratched, I was surprised he was scratched and he probably plays the rest of the series.
i hope ken holland signs him. lack of speed is a problem.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

In spite of all the assessments in here, the Hawks didn't blow the game open until midway through the third.

It's the same type of meltdown we were seeing against the Ducks. The guys get tired, start making more mental mistakes, aren't helping each other out. Kronwall, for example, sleepily skates toward a puck sitting right in front of his own net. Did he really think no Hawks forward was going to notice that puck in front of the net?

Mental mistakes. They play defense first. They're outmatched by the Hawks depth-wise. Let's not forget this is probably the best team in the NHL right now.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:06 AM
aar000n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Line Interloper View Post
Typical game coming from the West Coast within a few games.

I should have expected it but I don't expect a 20 minute game in an every game counts situation.
This the Hawks were rested and ready we were tired and a step slow.

aar000n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:11 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I had this dark thought too but there is a possibility. Howard I have faith can be that good, a la Jonathan Quick. True that is our greatest hope in winning this series. But if the Wings can push harder to get pucks through and stay(like they showed they can) with the Blackhawks it could be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbdudek View Post
Hawks were dominant in second and third periods. Wings can and will come back with a better performance in game 2. This series is at least going 6 games so long as the Wings don't roll over for the Hawks.
The other half of the coin! Thanks for your post. We will not roll over. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall have too much experience and pride to let this ship just sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post
Gut says after the first game the Red Wings are a combination of too old and slow for the Hawks (doesn't matter how much of a 'playoff warrior' Cleary is), who look twice as fast as the Red Wings, and inexperienced (Smith looked horrendous). The Hawks beat them to every puck, every chance the Red Wings tried to clear the puck a Hawk was there, they're just flat out faster. Doesn't help the Red Wings ran around like a chicken with it's head cut-off in their own zone.

Crawford isn't as good as his stats tell. Get pucks and pressure on the guy and he'll fold. But can the Red Wings do it? Jimmy will outplay Crawford, there isn't any question about it. The Red Wings just have to find a way to get to Crawford and help Jimmy.

Bertuzzi is useless on the fourth line. Either play him with Datysuk or scratch him.
Agree with the part about Crawford but again a somewhat overly negative reaction. We're inexperienced but 1/2 as fast? They beat us and outworked us for every puck? That is an exaggeration (which I am also guilty of). We had some energy and chances. We can play with these guys. Z said pre game that the 1st and 8th teams are not as far apart as the fans believe, I think that is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
In spite of all the assessments in here, the Hawks didn't blow the game open until midway through the third.

It's the same type of meltdown we were seeing against the Ducks. The guys get tired, start making more mental mistakes, aren't helping each other out. Kronwall, for example, sleepily skates toward a puck sitting right in front of his own net. Did he really think no Hawks forward was going to notice that puck in front of the net?

Mental mistakes. They play defense first. They're outmatched by the Hawks depth-wise. Let's not forget this is probably the best team in the NHL right now.
I saw a stat after the game that we have given up the most playoff goals in the 3rd period, 14 I think? That is not good. I'm not sure why we're running out of steam later in the game.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Nut Upstrom
JIMMY GO GANGBUSTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
That's what happens when you suck for years get lottery picks, make good trades, draft well, play youth and swoop in a sign a player like Hossa.
And have your former GM in Florida bail you out on mistake contracts that might have otherwise handcuffed your franchise.

Nut Upstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Mickey Redmond

The united center has to be the quietest building in the league. They only start to make any noise after they go up by 2 goals.

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:27 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
This the Hawks were rested and ready we were tired and a step slow.
Detroit last played SUnday, so they had 3 days rest. They'll get less rest before they get more.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:27 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
The united center has to be the quietest building in the league. They only start to make any noise after they go up by 2 goals.
You obviously missed the national anthem.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:42 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
Their 'fans' probably don't even know what they are watching.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin1981 View Post
To me it looked like outside of the first period and the third line we just didn't have any gas in the tank. Unfortunate because jimmy did his best to keep us in the game. Hopefully game 2 we come out with our legs on.

I hope babs doesn't put d and z together again. We do not have enough depth with them together on one line. I understand he tried to get something going but when that happened it coincided with their offense waking up as well.
Agreed in the 2nd half of that game when the 2nd line was Mule, Flip, Cleary it was just awful. Terrible.

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote