HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 06:05 AM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
Nichushkin is going to fall in this draft - likely past the Oilers too.

Monahan would be great for the Oilers. Carolina is really the wildcard of the top end of the draft. They might surprise and take Monahan or Lindholm.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Hoogaar23

It would be fantastic if TB did pick Nichushkin though.

1. COL - Seth Jones
2. FLA - Nathan Mackinnon
3. TB - Valeri Nichushkin
4. NSH - Jonathan Drouin

Then we would be guaranteed one of Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm. Basically, I think there will be a collective Oil Country fist pump if Yzerman steps up and calls Nichushkin's name.

If I was MacT, I'd check in with the Canes to see what it would cost to swap picks with them (assuming they are looking for someone other than one of the Cs) - Using Beerfish's draft pick value spreadsheet from last year, which IMO is pretty damned good, the difference between 5th and 7th is approximately 275, which is the value of a mid 2nd round pick (ie - ANA 2nd). Or one of our prospects if need be. Then if neither Drouin or Nich are picked in the top 4, try to get that 5th pick to make sure you can get one of the Cs. If BOTH Drouin and Nich go in the top 4, then you stand pat and take whichever is left of Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
It would be fantastic if TB did pick Nichushkin though.

1. COL - Seth Jones
2. FLA - Nathan Mackinnon
3. TB - Valeri Nichushkin
4. NSH - Jonathan Drouin

Then we would be guaranteed one of Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm. Basically, I think there will be a collective Oil Country fist pump if Yzerman steps up and calls Nichushkin's name.

If I was MacT, I'd check in with the Canes to see what it would cost to swap picks with them (assuming they are looking for someone other than one of the Cs) - Using Beerfish's draft pick value spreadsheet from last year, which IMO is pretty damned good, the difference between 5th and 7th is approximately 275, which is the value of a mid 2nd round pick (ie - ANA 2nd). Or one of our prospects if need be. Then if neither Drouin or Nich are picked in the top 4, try to get that 5th pick to make sure you can get one of the Cs. If BOTH Drouin and Nich go in the top 4, then you stand pat and take whichever is left of Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan.
I think Hurricanes could very well trade down, because they do have some center depth. It would be just perfect to land Barkov. I could not be happier if we get him.

Pick Nichuskin, TBL!

Old
05-16-2013, 08:03 AM
DousedInOil

I just find it funny how if you creep on the Sabres, Devils and Stars board that all of them hope that Monahan or Barkov fall to them. I still don't see Monahan making it past Carolina and Calgary. Still, at this point it doesn't matter where a player is ranked. What matters is how much Yzerman, Feaster and Rutherford like them.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:50 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
There has been a lot of talk about Carolina playing the Staals together from the moment they made the trade for Jordan. Having an NHL ready centerman from the draft would allow them to do exactly that. I wouldn't be too quick to assume they would pass on a centerman because of their depth at center. If you move one of the Staals to the wing, their center depth actually looks kinda terrible.

05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I just find it funny how if you creep on the Sabres, Devils and Stars board that all of them hope that Monahan or Barkov fall to them. I still don't see Monahan making it past Carolina and Calgary. Still, at this point it doesn't matter where a player is ranked. What matters is how much Yzerman, Feaster and Rutherford like them.
So WHAT IF Drouin would fall to us? Jones > Mackinnon > Nichushkin > Barkov > Lindholm > Monahan

Can't see it, but THAT pick would be worth a king's ransom. I've always been a BPA kinda guy, but yes another smallish winger? Beuh.

Although:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Drouin - BIG C - Yakupov

would be ridiculous

Old
05-16-2013, 10:30 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Interesting you point that out.

draft year WJHC:
Backstrom - 7p in 6gp
Lindholm - 4p in 6gp

Another thing to consider is that Backstrom led Brynas in scoring in his draft year. That's pretty amazing in the SEL. Him and Lindholm both are born late in their birth-years, so have a bit of an advantage over their fellow draftees.

Lindholm is 3rd in scoring with Brynas this year, playing with a highly-touted Detroit prospect in Calle Jarnkrok (his cousin).
The Brynas team Lindholm's playing on has much more scoring depth than the one Backstrom is playing on, and I feel that may have contributed a bit to his numbers.

I feel the key difference between these two players is the size. Backstrom is 6'1, 210lb. IIRC at his draft he was already about 200lb. Lindholm is 6' 192lb. There's about a 20lb difference between the two atm.

Backstrom actually uses his body more than he gets credit for. He shields away defenders using his size, and is actually very solid along the boards when fighting for pucks. Lindholm also shows the ability to use his body on both sides of the puck, but I doubt it will be effective l in the new division the Oilers are going into.

That being said, these guys' bread-and-butter is their vision, puck skills, and ability to control and read the play. I feel Lindholm's defensive game is actually better than Backstrom's at the same age - however Backstrom learned the 2-way game at a Kopitar-like pace in his first 2-3 seasons in the NHL, and IMO is one of the top-10 2-way centers in the game today.

I don't think the physical build will necessarily make that much of a difference when it comes to differences between Backstrom and Lindholm. Both are quick, both use hockey sense to avoid having to engage physically more than they need to, and both have elite vision and passing ability. However, I remember McGuire exclaiming "this kid is NHL ready" when the Caps picked Backstrom in 2006. I doubt anyone will be making those claims for Lindholm when he gets picked, regardless of his SEL point totals.

I don't think there was much of a quality difference between the two versions of Brynäs. Brynäs this season was a complete mess of a team. And the two teams scored at pretty much the same scoring clip the 05/06 team actually scored more goals per game.

Bäckström is and was a slightly bigger body, but Lindholm is more physical and imo a way more competitive player.

Lindholm is a better skater, Bäckström has a better shot and maybe the slight edge in vision.

I think Bäckström is more of a point producer in the regular season but I'd much rather go into playoffs and big games with Lindholm than Bäckis as he tends to struggle when the going gets tough and the pace goes up. I feel it's the opposite with Lindholm.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Nichushkin is going to fall in this draft - likely past the Oilers too.

Monahan would be great for the Oilers. Carolina is really the wildcard of the top end of the draft. They might surprise and take Monahan or Lindholm.
That wouldn't be a surprise. The Canes board is adamant that Rutherford has spoken in favor of taking a player who can play next year. Its a stretch to think that Nurse or Ristolainen can, and we all know that Nichushkin has 2 years left in Russia.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:04 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
That wouldn't be a surprise. The Canes board is adamant that Rutherford has spoken in favor of taking a player who can play next year. Its a stretch to think that Nurse or Ristolainen can, and we all know that Nichushkin has 2 years left in Russia.
I see Nish dropping to Edmonton and Edmonton passing on him... The two years in the KHL are going to defer people from picking him.

I really hope Edmonton uses the 7th + MPS to bring in a quality player..

Old
05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
doubledown99

Just read an article that said NHL teams are coveting size with speed even more now after watching the Kings success the last few years. The article pointed to Gillis and Bergevin both saying they wanted to get bigger and faster. So Nichuskin might be really in demand at the draft. I've read players like McCarron will likely be bumped up draft boards but so might the big Russian.

Teams said last year Tom Wilson was bumped up lots of draft boards and think the same will happen this year.

Just something to consider. So maybe Nichuskin to Tampa is a real possibility.

Jones
Mack
Nichuskin
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan

Could be how the top unfolds on draft day

Old
05-16-2013, 11:25 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I see Nish dropping to Edmonton and Edmonton passing on him... The two years in the KHL are going to defer people from picking him.

I really hope Edmonton uses the 7th + MPS to bring in a quality player..
Paajarvi is quality, he has size and skates like the wind.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:31 AM
lakai17

Quote:

Because we have RNH, Monahan is the logical choice with that pick. More secure of a pick to address an organizational need. But I can see the "hype" around Lindholm for other teams. There's a reason he's ranked above Monahan in this draft. We're spoiled with top-line talent in previous drafts - some teams are still looking for it.
I'm still sold on Monahan over Lindholm, just my opinion. Lindholm should never be compared to Forsberg or Backstrom. Monahan actually reminds me of RNH in his draft year because he had no wingers to play with whatsoever. His team won 16 games and lost 46. He accumulated the same amount of points this season as last season which is remarkable.

I know it's the journal but valid at the same time.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-monahan-have/

Old
05-16-2013, 11:49 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
NHLE is garbage.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I've come to terms with the fact we won't be getting Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin or Barkov. Those four are quite obviously going to be the top 4, and I'm not going to hold my breath expecting otherwise.

After that, I'm fine with selecting any of Monahan, Nurse, Zadorov, Risto or Nich to be honest. I feel that all of those players bring some kind of dimension to their game that this team needs. I'm not sure on Lindholm, purely because I want the Oilers to draft a coke machine in some capacity, as short sighted as that is.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:54 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
As for Barkov, I find some similarities to Kopitar/Thornton with the way he plays the game. Big frame, good hands for his size, and a solid combination of passing/shooting ability.

His skating's a bit iffy at this point, and I'd suggest he spend one more year in Europe a la Kopitar/Backstrom developing the finer points of his game (face-offs, speed) before he comes over.

But like Monahan - he's your prototypical West Coast hockey player. He goes to the dirty areas, takes hits to make plays, and seems virtually immovable (at least in the FNL/WJHC) when people try to hit him. That kind of rock-solid player is someone you build around.
I have wanted Monahan all along, he is the perfect #2 Center behind RNH, then we can trade or move Gagner to the wing.

But I just don't see him sliding past the Flames, Which sucks, if Monahan is selected I say we trade down, and take one of the stud "D" man, example Nikita Zadorov watched him all year here in London with the Knights, 6' 6" 230pds this is a Russian version of Tyler Myers that everyone wants to trade for. Really like him.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Just read an article that said NHL teams are coveting size with speed even more now after watching the Kings success the last few years. The article pointed to Gillis and Bergevin both saying they wanted to get bigger and faster. So Nichuskin might be really in demand at the draft. I've read players like McCarron will likely be bumped up draft boards but so might the big Russian.

Teams said last year Tom Wilson was bumped up lots of draft boards and think the same will happen this year.

Just something to consider. So maybe Nichuskin to Tampa is a real possibility.

Jones
Mack
Nichuskin
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan

Could be how the top unfolds on draft day
If that becomes the case I'm sold on Zadorov or Gauthier as well.

Any interest in Frederik Gauthier? 6'5 210lb center. +22

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=670537

Old
05-16-2013, 04:45 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

We'd have to mos def get another 1st to get Zadarov & Gauthier

Old
05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Lindo

If Tampa Bay picks Nichushkin and Carolina picks Nurse, we are more than pleased with whoever we have left.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:15 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You consider Moroz a safe pick? He's the definition of a risk/reward pick.
He's the definition of a waste of a pick.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:21 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
If Tampa Bay picks Nichushkin and Carolina picks Nurse, we are more than pleased with whoever we have left.
Jones
Mackinnon
Nichuskin
Drouin
Nurse
...Barkov?

Monahan/Lindholm, I take it.

EDIT: I do as much as I can to move into Carolina's spot to take Barkov, in that case.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
rockinghockey

If we get one of the centremen I would be really happy, I feel that is a bigger need than a dman. We have dmen prospects but no centremen prospects.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
nando2392

I'm 50/50 on Monahan and Lindholm, but i think we should also pick up another 1st round a get a good D or Lazar also.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:08 AM
LaGu

I cannot seem to find the article but a Swedish blogger claims that Lindholm is climbing the rankings and is now 4th after Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon.

Stupid question: how are you able to climb the rankings at this point in time? I thought they stopped playing a while back.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I cannot seem to find the article but a Swedish blogger claims that Lindholm is climbing the rankings and is now 4th after Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon.

Stupid question: how are you able to climb the rankings at this point in time? I thought they stopped playing a while back.
I'm really not sure, I'd think that the combine would be where you see the next movement in terms of European players and NA players whose seasons are already over. Perhaps now teams are going over his entire body of work and seeing more consistency/a higher ceiling than some of the other players? Just a guess.

05-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

If I had to speculate, and this is just that, I'd say that for top European players teams may have a lot of film to add to the live viewings. As scouting staffs watch the film they may see things that they like.

Closed Thread