HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 08:49 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Yikes! Well atleast it happened at the end of the year and he'll have plenty if time to heal up before training camp.
Unfortunately, it's going to affect his off season training and preparation for next year.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

vCash: 500
Just FYI:

Niederberger signed with EHC Munich (where Wheeler played last season). For those interested in maybe signing him.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:28 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Just FYI:

Niederberger signed with EHC Munich (where Wheeler played last season). For those interested in maybe signing him.
Excellent news for him!

Hopefully he can string some games together there and get another look back in NA.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Unfortunately, it's going to affect his off season training and preparation for next year.
I don't think it will effect it that much. The collar bone should be healed up by mid to end of June. At most it will cost him about 2-3 weeks of training IMO as I'm sure the Jets would have instructed him to take a good 2-3 weeks off after the season again anyways.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
I don't think it will effect it that much. The collar bone should be healed up by mid to end of June. At most it will cost him about 2-3 weeks of training IMO as I'm sure the Jets would have instructed him to take a good 2-3 weeks off after the season again anyways.
The concussion is the worrisome part for delaying training/workouts. Completely unpredictable.

Last edited by Gil Fisher: 05-15-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old
05-15-2013, 01:18 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
The concussion is the worrisome pare for delaying training/workouts. Completely unpredictable.
True, let's hope its a mild one and he's good in a week or so.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Bob E

Quote:
True, let's hope its a mild one and he's good in a week or so.
Agree, surixon.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:32 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 148
Quote:
you're the optimist. i assume they'll do surgery. not sure if they'll wait until the concussion symptoms subside before surgery. if they plate him, i'd suggest that it is 6-8 months. so, likely, mid-July, since i don't think he's gone under the knife as of yet.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
you're the optimist. i assume they'll do surgery. not sure if they'll wait until the concussion symptoms subside before surgery. if they plate him, i'd suggest that it is 6-8 months. so, likely, mid-July, since i don't think he's gone under the knife as of yet.
Why would they opt for surgery for a broken collarbone?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
HannuJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Why would they opt for surgery for a broken collarbone?
your options:

-surgery
-let it heal on its own
-figure 8 splint

no consensus on how to mend a collarbone. depending on the severity of the fracture (i.e. minor fracture vs a displaced fracture) then I can see how option 2 is the best. if it is displaced, then i'd assume that, since he's a professional athlete playing a contact sport, they'd opt to plate it.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:43 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
your options:

-surgery
-let it heal on its own
-figure 8 splint

no consensus on how to mend a collarbone. depending on the severity of the fracture (i.e. minor fracture vs a displaced fracture) then I can see how option 2 is the best. if it is displaced, then i'd assume that, since he's a professional athlete playing a contact sport, they'd opt to plate it.
I've broken mine 3 times and have never heard of surgery as an option. It healed independently on its own each time. I highly doubt that surgery is even considered unless there is legiment damage as well.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
I've broken mine 3 times and have never heard of surgery as an option. It healed independently on its own each time. I highly doubt that surgery is even considered unless there is legiment damage as well.
Same collarbone three times? Don't want that happening to a highly paid athlete.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:59 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Same collarbone three times? Don't want that happening to a highly paid athlete.
Yup! True, he'll just have to really work on strengthening his shoulders to make him less susceptible for re-injury.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
We had a guy on our hockey team break his collar bone this year, and he had surgery the next day.

He and the doctors thought it was the best option as I think they thought it would heal better. (Don't quote me on that).

Old
05-15-2013, 05:27 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
We had a guy on our hockey team break his collar bone this year, and he had surgery the next day.

He and the doctors thought it was the best option as I think they thought it would heal better. (Don't quote me on that).
Interesting, I guess I didn't break mine severe enough for it to be an option. I still don't see the Jets/Scheifele opting for surgery unless its the only option. Granted every case is different but we didn't see surgery for Enstrom when he suffered a similar injury last year.

While pure conjecture on my part;Scheifele's end of the year quotes don't really lead me to believe that he will be out for a long time. He seems set on making the team next year.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/201...d-to-next-year

Either way we should find our shortly!

Old
05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:

In fairness though, the guy on our team shattered it in 5 places.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Sad to hear Scheifele has a concussion.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:26 PM
puck stoppa

4 weeks for sure for the collar bone and he can still do cardio depending on his concussion, and this will affect his training, it may be minimal or it may be more than we think. All I know is that he is good enough to make our team next year, either as the #2 or 3 centre so even with only 2 months training I think he will be fine and will make our squad.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:44 PM
HannuJ

Quote:
think you just answered the question as to why surgery's a likely option for him

Old
05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
HannuJ

Quote:

my background comes from 2 things:

1. broke mine 9 years ago while biking and i was asked to enroll in a study on best treatment/outcomes for clavicle fractures (surgery or letting it heal on its own). I declined the study.
2. I'm a pharmacist who works in a medical clinic and I provide fracture support/braces for clavicles/ankles/knees/wrists/etc

there's still no consensus on the best treatment for a clavicle fracture. i'd assume that for hockey players, you're looking at plating as an option so that a) you have a faster recovery b) you have a stronger fracture site, preventing the athlete from fracturing his clavicle repeatedly (i.e. "three times" hahaa). most fractures take 4-6 weeks to heal without surgery. even with surgery, you're looking at a minimum of 4 weeks. then, after that, he could participate in non-contact drills BUT if he fell/tripped/lost an edge and went into the boards? you have a risk of refracturing the bone.

someone said something about building up the muscles to make it stronger. that's totally false. the clavicle is probably the easiest bone to fracture. there is ZERO muscle protecting it. it just sits there, like a piece of wood between 2 cinder blocks, waiting for a karate chop to snap it. touch your clavicle. no amount of pectoral or deltoit muscle mass will prevent an impact fracture. you get hit in the wrong spot at the wrong angle and you'll break it. that's why guys like me, who flip over a mountain bike and land hard on their shoulder, will fracture it. the force of impact will break it. that's why Toby Enstrom broke his by being body checked.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Interesting, I guess I didn't break mine severe enough for it to be an option. I still don't see the Jets/Scheifele opting for surgery unless its the only option. Granted every case is different but we didn't see surgery for Enstrom when he suffered a similar injury last year.

While pure conjecture on my part;Scheifele's end of the year quotes don't really lead me to believe that he will be out for a long time. He seems set on making the team next year.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/201...d-to-next-year

Either way we should find our shortly!
Am I missing something? Sounds like he has a concussion, but no mention of a collarbone fracture.

Is that reported elsewhere?

Edit: Webster had a broken collarbone but didn't see anything about Scheifele and a broken collarbone.

Last edited by Bob E: 05-15-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 08:12 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Am I missing something? Sounds like he has a concussion, but no mention of a collarbone fracture.

Is that reported elsewhere?

Edit: Webster had a broken collarbone but didn't see anything about Scheifele and a broken collarbone.
In the FP this morning Ducky only mentions a minor concussion for Scheifele so I'm having doubts that he even has a brocken collar bone. Apparently a defence man on Barrie suffered one though which might be causing the confusion.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
In fairness though, the guy on our team shattered it in 5 places.
That's true. He did get a nice care package from the team though....

Old
05-16-2013, 08:42 AM
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!

Trouba looked looked great today in the USA rout of Russia

PP goal and sat a couple dudes down

Old
05-16-2013, 08:44 AM
surixon

Quote: