HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 1 Thoughts

Old
05-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Cbdudek
Goalie/Referee/Geek

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Detroit last played SUnday, so they had 3 days rest. They'll get less rest before they get more.
Next game is on Saturday, which should offer the Wings another 3 days to rest up. I don't know if that will be a factor or not, but the schedule is very favorable to the Wings who went the distance in the last series.

Cbdudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Mickey Redmond

vCash: 500
All the turnovers made me cringe. Wings can't sustain any pressure in their zone. This one will probably end in 4 people.

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:41 AM
JPE123

We have the ability to turn it around and make it a competitive series, let's see if we have the will. A disappointing effort last night, particularly second and third

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:51 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbdudek View Post
Next game is on Saturday, which should offer the Wings another 3 days to rest up. I don't know if that will be a factor or not, but the schedule is very favorable to the Wings who went the distance in the last series.
It's the second round and the Wings got 3 days rest before the 1st game of round 2.

If fatigue was really a factor, the Wings won't be long for the playoffs. As I said, it will get worse before it gets better, as I doubt any team will get more than 3 games rest between games of the same round. The Wings should have been well rested for this game. If not, their age (and, perhaps, fitness level), is clearly catching up to them.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Yemack

I have a feeling this year's playoff kinda resembles Wings 2007 playoff run to WCF. assuming Wings played their 1st round already during last couple of regular season games.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:07 AM
redjax
Boom Roasted.

Played real bad. Need to play real gud.

Mix up the D a bit: Kindl-Quincey, Smith-CC. Clear. The. Puck. Smith looked terrible.

If our 3rd line looks like our best line, we are in trouble, and we need to convert our good chances. Had 2-3 great ones we didn't bury.

Game was close for 40 minutes (Thanks, Howard) - but we need to maintain some offensive pressure. It was painful to watch us bumble around in our own zone - terrible turnovers lead to goals. Story of the season for the Wings.

redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:09 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
I have a feeling this year's playoff kinda resembles Wings 2007 playoff run to WCF. assuming Wings played their 1st round already during last couple of regular season games.
Except in 2007-2008, the Wings were the best team in hockey. This year they are basically a .500 team (when you factor out the 3 point games), and have, for the entire season/playoffs, a goal differential of +2. The Wings give up as many goals as they score, and the Hawks have a +13 in the playoffs, after a +53 during the regular season.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:12 AM
insomniac34
Canada is Coming

Pens fan coming in peace. Saw this on ******, just thought I'd share in case some of you haven't seen it:

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http://i.im...cnkbA&start=91

insomniac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Cbdudek
Goalie/Referee/Geek

vCash: 395
Quote:
It's the second round and the Wings got 3 days rest before the 1st game of round 2.

If fatigue was really a factor, the Wings won't be long for the playoffs. As I said, it will get worse before it gets better, as I doubt any team will get more than 3 games rest between games of the same round. The Wings should have been well rested for this game. If not, their age (and, perhaps, fitness level), is clearly catching up to them.
Agreed. I don't think fatigue was a factor at all. I was merely pointing out that they had a couple days between games. The Hawks came out and played a great game. The Wings were being outshot by 10 at the end of the 2nd period, but really turned it on in the 3rd period. At one point the shots were 40-17. They were outshot 17-5 in the 2nd and 19-9 in the 3rd.

The Wings have to match that intensity in game 2 in order to take one in Chicago.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Except in 2007-2008, the Wings were the best team in hockey. This year they are basically a .500 team (when you factor out the 3 point games), and have, for the entire season/playoffs, a goal differential of +2. The Wings give up as many goals as they score, and the Hawks have a +13 in the playoffs, after a +53 during the regular season.
2006-2007 season = 2007 playoff
2007-2008 season = 2008 playoff

just to clear up

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:33 AM
BinCookin

Pretty much the only compliment I can give to our team is that the score was close.

Beyond that, they had roughly zero percent chance of winning this game.

If they look like this in game 2, series already over.

Lets hope we see something different in game 2!

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Well that went well

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:52 AM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post
Pretty much the only compliment I can give to our team is that the score was close.

Beyond that, they had roughly zero percent chance of winning this game.

If they look like this in game 2, series already over.

Lets hope we see something different in game 2!
Seemed like we had a chance when we came back and scored and tied it 1-1. After that, game was over

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:22 AM
yave1964
22 and counting

If it possible to come out of a 4-1 loss feeling optimistic, I guess I am.

We were tied at 1-1 going into the third on the road against the best team in Hockey who were rested. They took over in the third, but I think Saturday might be a different result.
I picked the Hawks in five and I am a realist, but the team was not horrible last night. A post here, a break there and it might have been a different story.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:30 AM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
If it possible to come out of a 4-1 loss feeling optimistic, I guess I am.

We were tied at 1-1 going into the third on the road against the best team in Hockey who were rested. They took over in the third, but I think Saturday might be a different result.
I picked the Hawks in five and I am a realist, but the team was not horrible last night. A post here, a break there and it might have been a different story.
Or 70% of the Wings' forwards shot the puck when at point blank range. That Cleary back pass...****ing hell

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Johnny Law

Kindl was much better than I expected, his skating was useful as obviously they had a hard time exiting.

Honestly though if you expected anything other than what you got out of this d group [mod]. They lack experience and have had a hard time exiting the zone clearly all year, they are playing a much more talented team that works hard and can roll 4 lines all night.

I'm not saying they can't be better but we need to retain some reasonableness.

I think they come with more energy in game 2 and back off that forecheck a little.

The relative few times they got the cycle going I thought they looked pretty good, excellent play below the dots that generated the few legit chances we had.

PP simply has to convert.

Last edited by Fugu: 05-16-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: if you believe X then you are____ = generalized flame
Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
Seemed like we had a chance when we came back and scored and tied it 1-1. After that, game was over
Let me clarify. I was hoping we would get a flukey goal. Maybe we go up 2-1.

But outchanced 18-1 in last 2 periods was like watching a shooting galary. Also their forecheck was 1000x better than anaheims

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
Pens fan coming in peace. Saw this on ******, just thought I'd share in case some of you haven't seen it:

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http://i.im...cnkbA&start=91

I wondered how long it would take for a meme/gif to come out of that one.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:18 PM
RedWingsForPresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Sports View Post
It's only one game. We looked terrible in the 3rd. Howard kept us in the game.Dan Cleary is the worst player in the NHL. I really wish Babcock would sit him and he does not get re-signed next season.Smith is terrible.
Not true. He's not even the worse player on the Red Wings. That title goes to Jonathan Ericsson.

Or every 4th game Kyle Quincey

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:22 PM
RedWingsForPresident

The only positive to take out of this game is Jimmy Howard. He's been our MVP all year long and is still playing great.

It's 100 times better to have a goalie playing great with a mediocre team infront of him then an amazing team with bad goaltending. Look at the Flyers or Penguins last year. Hey, even the Blackhawks last year when Crawford was terrible.

This 2 day break between games is huge for Detroit. Gives us time to rest from a 7 game series with lots of travel and makes Chicago lose some of the momentum gained in game 1 with a long break.

Jimmy Howard kept us in a position to win that game. Left out to dry on all 3 goals he gave up. As long as Howard keeps playing like this, all we need is to find a rythym and we have a chance

Old
05-16-2013, 01:25 PM
braille

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
Not true. He's not even the worse player on the Red Wings. That title goes to Jonathan Ericsson.
it's not 2010

braille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:31 PM
RedWingsForPresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by braille View Post
it's not 2010
I realize it's 2013. He's still the worst. He's the worst most overpaid defenseman in the league. How does he get $3.25 million with a NTC? Horrible.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Shawn Lutz

Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn Lutz
I think what the deal was is that we were fine to start, we gradually faded away while at the same time Chicago started to get rust knocked off and started skating.

Coming off a tough 7 game series I was hoping we wouldn't have a letdown but we played a lot of hockey with thousands of miles of back and forth travel. Once Chicago got their legs we didn't have a whole lot in the tank it seems.

Shawn Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:00 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
In spite of all the assessments in here, the Hawks didn't blow the game open until midway through the third.

It's the same type of meltdown we were seeing against the Ducks. The guys get tired, start making more mental mistakes, aren't helping each other out. Kronwall, for example, sleepily skates toward a puck sitting right in front of his own net. Did he really think no Hawks forward was going to notice that puck in front of the net?

Mental mistakes. They play defense first. They're outmatched by the Hawks depth-wise. Let's not forget this is probably the best team in the NHL right now.
I thought the first period was pretty good, actually. I don't buy the "unprepared" argument because of that fact - they were right there toe to toe in the 1st and actually looked like they were controlling the play for a good portion of the period. They made too many turnovers, but otherwise they were holding up admirably.

It looked in that period like it could be possible that the Wings could push the Hawks around and make things much more difficult for them. It actually crossed my mind that the Hawks looked like those old 90s Wing teams that wanted to play tic tac toe so badly that they'd play themselves right out of series they had no business losing just by getting too cute.

Then the 2nd period happened. It's an absolute miracle they didn't give up 10 goals in that period. It looked like they were trying to give up 10 goals in that period. They lost the physical edge that got them through the 1st period and the turnovers went from occasional to constant.

The dam finally broke in the 3rd.

If they can play every period like the 1st, they will win a game or two in this series and could theoretically take things to the wire. If they play two periods a night like the 1st and one period a night like the 2nd or 3rd, they're not going to win a single game. It's going to take that 1st period effort every period, every shift, every second.

It's the only way to beat a team that's much, much better than you are - you beat them every second until the other team starts wondering if maybe you really are better than they are. Last year's Kings, the 06 Oilers, the 03 Ducks, etc. They all managed to do it. I don't think this bunch has it in them - maybe with Helm and DeKeyser, but not as currently constructed. But we'll find out for sure.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:14 PM
ashenhigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
I realize it's 2013. He's still the worst. He's the worst most overpaid defenseman in the league. How does he get $3.25 million with a NTC? Horrible.
See ****ing Quincey, Kyle.

Or

Samuelsson, Mikael.

Ericsson is easily our second best defenseman.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote