HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official Oscar Klefbom thread: Does he make the team out of camp?

Old
05-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't see 30 being out of reach by any means. He's very likely going to be Schultz's partner going forward, and will probably pick up his fair share of points just from being with an elite puck mover.
Yeah and as AlowlyOilersfan said, if he gets PP time that should be pretty reasonable. I'm not expecting a huge offensive upside TBH as he thinks the game more defensively than guys like J. Schultz and Marincin for example. That said he has the mobility and passing to be more than a stay at home guy with no offensive ability. His shot is also pretty good from what I recall.

05-13-2013, 12:03 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I don't think SEL numbers are good representative of NHL production for Swedish defensemen. Hell, an 18-year old Karlsson only put up 10p in 45gp in the SEL, while a guy like Rundblad put up 50p in 53gp at 19 and has done nothing at the NHL level.

And no, I'm not saying Klefbom is going to rack up points like Karlsson.
Yeah, but Klefbom never really produced in juniors either. Also when you look at his play he lacks that high end offensive skillset of an offensive d. Erik Karlsson you could see having all world offensive skill just hadn't figured it out at all. At 18 Karlsson was a stupid stupid hockey player, didn't know his feet from his face. Just goes to show that lack of hockey IQ sometimes is just a lack of maturity.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:23 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Yeah, but Klefbom never really produced in juniors either. Also when you look at his play he lacks that high end offensive skillset of an offensive d. Erik Karlsson you could see having all world offensive skill just hadn't figured it out at all. At 18 Karlsson was a stupid stupid hockey player, didn't know his feet from his face. Just goes to show that lack of hockey IQ sometimes is just a lack of maturity.
Yeah this is all true. His scoring pace at the WJHC was far below Karlsson's, and when you use the "eye test" he clearly doesn't have that offensive game-breaker kind of look to him.

I feel his offense will come the same way Seabrook's does in CHI. Play with a puck-mover, make solid simple high-IQ plays leading to scoring chances for your forwards, and let your big shot create some PP opportunities for yourself.

Seabrook rode that to a 48-pt season a couple years back. He's never the guy going end-to-end or mind-blowing puck plays. Just the simple high-IQ ones. Solid break-out passes, jumping into the play for odd-man rushes when the time is right, etc. BTW, his production at the WJHC at 18 is similar to Klefbom's. Similar size and style as well.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:09 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
09/10, FBK J18 and SWE U17 (Klefbom was 16).

The following two seasons he split time between SEL and FBK J18/J20 (except after Christmas 2012 when he secured his position in FBK). I was really disappointed that he couldn't play this season because I do think he is good offensively as well and I thought that this would have been the season to confirm that. I do not think we should expect any offense from him here for the first couple of seasons. He needs to learn the defensive game of the NHL first, and I think he will focus 100% on this to begin with.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
nando2392

Sounds like a beast! He can be the guy we count to shutdown games

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:18 PM
topchowda

If we want to turn him into a seabrook type player he must play AHL to learn both the pro game and NA game.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
If we want to turn him into a seabrook type player he must play AHL to learn both the pro game and NA game.
This, It would be good if he did get some time in the ahl because he hasn't played in quite a while. With that said though its probably not a reach to say he could be with the team sometime next season. Will be fun to see how he progresses

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Or let him earn his spot, where ever the hell the spot is, geez did you guys forget how terrible the defense was last season.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Or let him earn his spot, where ever the hell the spot is, geez did you guys forget how terrible the defense was last season.
Ya I really don't agree with the notion that he has to play in the AHL or he'll bust

05-15-2013, 11:46 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's an odd thing to say considering Seabrook himself only played 9 games in the AHL, and that was only because his final WHL season finished just prior to the start of the AHL playoffs.

05-15-2013, 11:55 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That's an odd thing to say considering Seabrook himself only played 9 games in the AHL, and that was only because his final WHL season finished just prior to the start of the AHL playoffs.
I guess Duncan Keith then?

He spent two seasons in the AHL.

I think he just used the Seabrook comparison because people are comparing Seabrook to Klefbom.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:15 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Bit of an interesting situation here with the D. Some of the frustrations CHI fans were having with Duncan Keith as a 22-year old in his rookie season in 2005-2006 are similar to the ones Oiler fans were having with Justin Schultz this past year. Great skater, but defensively unaware, incompetent, and not really making progressive plays.

He gets paired with a "stud" taken top-10 in one of the greatest drafts of all time in Brent Seabrook, and his career really takes off.

Could Klefbom be the Seabrook for Schultz?

Old
05-16-2013, 12:20 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Bit of an interesting situation here with the D. Some of the frustrations CHI fans were having with Duncan Keith as a 22-year old in his rookie season in 2005-2006 are similar to the ones Oiler fans were having with Justin Schultz this past year. Great skater, but defensively unaware, incompetent, and not really making progressive plays.

He gets paired with a "stud" taken top-10 in one of the greatest drafts of all time in Brent Seabrook, and his career really takes off.

Hope so.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:21 AM
nando2392

Quote:

I wish! Klefbom might be the one who puts the team together.

I think they should give him and maricin a spot in training camp.

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:32 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I wish! Klefbom might be the one who puts the team together.

I think they should give him and maricin a spot in training camp.

I think Marincin will be given a fair shot at training camp, based on what Mac T said about him.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:38 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya I really don't agree with the notion that he has to play in the AHL or he'll bust
Not that hell bust, but he wont learn as much playing bottom pairing as he will playing 1/2 or full season in AHL. Having him play in the NHL next year might help us more for 1 season, but id rather have a more complete player. AHL helps prospects develop, no harm will be done putting him there.

Top 4 vs top pairing ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Seabrook I think was also able to play his 19 yo season, where Klefbom was injured. Also Seabrook was logging big minutes in WHL for 2 years. Klefbom was playing limited minutes start of last season (like 9 minutes) and only got more minutes last half of last season. He played big minutes this season for 13 games.

Also Seabrook had his offensive game figured out in the WHL (54 pts) Klefbom has all the tools are is good offensively, but still has to find his stride.

He has to learn both defense and offense. Im all for talking it slow with our top defense prospect. Cant mess up this one

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:41 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I think Marincin will be given a fair shot at training camp, based on what Mac T said about him.
He seemingly hasn't missed a beat with OKC, even with the big-boys and Schultz leaving for the NHL season. Obviously his offensive numbers have come at a slower pace than before, but his defensive play is seemingly up to par. He's 21, now approaching that "make or break" time for 2nd round pick defensemen.

He needs to come into camp and be one of the last cuts, that "first call-up" when one of the D goes down. Petry and Gilbert both did it in their first years of pro hockey (both were 23), so Marincin's going to be 1-2 years younger than him. But he's had some exposure to the pro game now, and likely won't have the same expectations as them in their rookie years (carry some offensive load, etc).

Old
05-16-2013, 04:29 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

You really should say "some" Oilers fans. I saw what he was capable of in the AHL and early in the year, I still find it rather ridiculous that you don't pin any of his shortcomings this season on being flat out burned out.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:38 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You really should say "some" Oilers fans. I saw what he was capable of in the AHL and early in the year, I still find it rather ridiculous that you don't pin any of his shortcomings this season on being flat out burned out.
He has major positional shortcomings - it's been persistent since he began playing in the NHL.

What really did "burn out" were the plays he was making with the puck. Whereas early on in the season every time he had the puck he was making what seemed to be the "right" play - later on in the season he was prone to mental lapses with the puck, wrong decisions, etc.

I was never impressed with his defensive zone work though...

Old
05-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
What really did "burn out" were the plays he was making with the puck. Whereas early on in the season every time he had the puck he was making what seemed to be the "right" play - later on in the season he was prone to mental lapses with the puck, wrong decisions, etc.

I was never impressed with his defensive zone work though...
Uhm, yeah - that's part of what getting burnt out is. It's BOTH physical AND mental. The first few weeks of the season, he looked amazing, and like you said, seemed to be making the right play all the time - I very much doubt that he simply lost his hockey sense overnight (at least I hope he hasn't). And he seemed to get his second wind to finish the season too - I have all the confidence in the world that he will find his game again next year.

Oh - and being paired with Nick Schultz can't help much either.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Not that hell bust, but he wont learn as much playing bottom pairing as he will playing 1/2 or full season in AHL. Having him play in the NHL next year might help us more for 1 season, but id rather have a more complete player. AHL helps prospects develop, no harm will be done putting him there.

Top 4 vs top pairing ceiling

Seabrook I think was also able to play his 19 yo season, where Klefbom was injured. Also Seabrook was logging big minutes in WHL for 2 years. Klefbom was playing limited minutes start of last season (like 9 minutes) and only got more minutes last half of last season. He played big minutes this season for 13 games.

Also Seabrook had his offensive game figured out in the WHL (54 pts) Klefbom has all the tools are is good offensively, but still has to find his stride.

He has to learn both defense and offense. Im all for talking it slow with our top defense prospect. Cant mess up this one
I think I line up closer to this... I'm not 100% him playing in the NHL this year, it's just that I'd be shocked he could be ready given how little hockey he's played over the last two years.

My caution though has more to do with wanting our team to be competitive, than it does with worrying we would "ruin" Klefbom. I want to see 6 NHL defenders on this team come training camp (FA#1 - solid #2, FA#2 - solid #4, Smid, N Schultz, Petry, J. Schultz)... after that, Marincin, Klefbom, Teubert, Peckham and Potter can all duke it out for the final spot. They can all be given opportunity to play their way up the depth chart.

Unless he blows you away, let Klefbom get 20 games under his belt in OKC before re-evaluating.

bucks_oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:06 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I think I line up closer to this... I'm not 100% him playing in the NHL this year, it's just that I'd be shocked he could be ready given how little hockey he's played over the last two years.

My caution though has more to do with wanting our team to be competitive, than it does with worrying we would "ruin" Klefbom. I want to see 6 NHL defenders on this team come training camp (FA#1 - solid #2, FA#2 - solid #4, Smid, N Schultz, Petry, J. Schultz)... after that, Marincin, Klefbom, Teubert, Peckham and Potter can all duke it out for the final spot. They can all be given opportunity to play their way up the depth chart.

Unless he blows you away, let Klefbom get 20 games under his belt in OKC before re-evaluating.
Without going into arguments over which is the best course I'd just like to point out what I've already done in the past. Unless he completely screws up in TC Klefbom will get to start in the Oilers. I'd bet half of my fortune on it if I had any... 5-10 games I think, then there will be an evaluation and OKC might be an option.

By the way, he didn't play so much this season (23GP) for obvious reasons but last season he played a lot, 77GP, so I don't know what you are referring to there (or did I misunderstand your post?).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He had shortcomings in his first 10 games, people didn't care though because he'd make a fancy defensive move or get points.

As for being burned out, why is he playing for Team Canada then?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He had shortcomings in his first 10 games, people didn't care though because he'd make a fancy defensive move or get points.

As for being burned out, why is he playing for Team Canada then?
He really didn't have a lot of shortcomings in the first 20 games or so, he was really solid and made few mistakes. He really started to fall off during that road trip from hell and just got worse from there.
I'm not sure what you're talking about with "fancy" defensive moves early on in the season. He was smart and composed defensively and didn't make a lot of risky plays surprisingly.

I'm sure he's playing for Team Canada because they invited him, not sure what that has to do with him being burnt out.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
He really didn't have a lot of shortcomings in the first 20 games or so, he was really solid and made few mistakes. He really started to fall off during that road trip from hell and just got worse from there.
I'm not sure what you're talking about with "fancy" defensive moves early on in the season. He was smart and composed defensively and didn't make a lot of risky plays surprisingly.

I'm sure he's playing for Team Canada because they invited him, not sure what that has to do with him being burnt out.
He was getting caught of position, pinching without really knowing if it was a good idea.

As for the bolded, if the guy was burnt out then how would he be able to keep playing after the NHL season?

Just to clarify, I'm not dissappointed with the kid it's what I expected. But it's something we have to take with us going forward.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote