Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 12:50 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
I found this on the Portland Winterhawks website they might be revolutionizing season ticket packages for fans. You pay a monthly fee for the hockey year for season tickets regular and playoffs, along with a pass to watch all away games online. Surprised Windsor wouldn't think outside the box considering interest is quite low.

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/i...ier-membership

Old
05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
After reading on another board that Branch informed the Knights that they got the mem cup BEFORE game 7 when said he didint want it to sway one team over the other,

Id like to call out Duff and Parker of the Star and ask them to write a piece and tell the real story of this league and its politics and lay it all on the table for fans, and if the Spits look bad or lose STH so be it.The truth needs to be told here finally.

If the Star was an american paper they would have blasted this league already.

Lets get some transperency here.

So boys?????
I talked to Branch before the game 7 and he told me that the Knights got the cup the next year and it is because he loves us. He also said he is relocating Windsor for the 2015 season to Sarnia because he thinks that city could use two teams. The memorial cup then will be alternated between the Sarnia Sting and the Sarnia Spitfires for the rest of eternity.
Who cares what others posted about when it was leaked. And what gives all you transparency seakers the right to know what goes on behind closed doors? The process is what it is. It was obvious to most that London had the best shot because of money, quality of roster etc. The only thing holding back was they hosted in 2005. So in essence, it was the 'somebody else should get a turn'. Stop with the tree hugging kumbaya stuff....life doesn't work that way and life in general isn't fair. At this point, the best bid based on all the relevant criteria was the Knights. To the other teams, I say 'do a better job'!
Should they start rotating who gets to appear in the Stanley Cup each year? You don't see Leaf fans using that argument.
I guarantee you that if Barrie or Windsor got the bid for next year, everyone would be laughing, pointing and making fun of the Knights because you hate them. Conversely, they got the bid so it allows you to take out your frustrations on a successful organization while ignoring your own back yard. Clean it up fellas.
The other reason why Windsor wanted to win the bid so bad is because there is NO WAY that they would make it next year to the cup anyways. Barrie has a chance...all they have to do is make it to the ohl final and they are in. By the way, there is revenue sharing amongst the league too so a successful event that London puts on benefits ALL the teams.
The sense of entitlement that people have really blows me away sometimes.
(and by the way, go through all my old posts. I had advocated for Windsor and Barrie to get it ahead of the Knights only for the reason that we had it recently.)

Old
05-15-2013, 01:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I talked to Branch before the game 7 and he told me that the Knights got the cup the next year and it is because he loves us. He also said he is relocating Windsor for the 2015 season to Sarnia because he thinks that city could use two teams. The memorial cup then will be alternated between the Sarnia Sting and the Sarnia Spitfires for the rest of eternity.
Who cares what others posted about when it was leaked. And what gives all you transparency seakers the right to know what goes on behind closed doors? The process is what it is. It was obvious to most that London had the best shot because of money, quality of roster etc. The only thing holding back was they hosted in 2005. So in essence, it was the 'somebody else should get a turn'. Stop with the tree hugging kumbaya stuff....life doesn't work that way and life in general isn't fair. At this point, the best bid based on all the relevant criteria was the Knights. To the other teams, I say 'do a better job'!
Should they start rotating who gets to appear in the Stanley Cup each year? You don't see Leaf fans using that argument.
I guarantee you that if Barrie or Windsor got the bid for next year, everyone would be laughing, pointing and making fun of the Knights because you hate them. Conversely, they got the bid so it allows you to take out your frustrations on a successful organization while ignoring your own back yard. Clean it up fellas. The other reason why Windsor wanted to win the bid so bad is because there is NO WAY that they would make it next year to the cup anyways. Barrie has a chance...all they have to do is make it to the ohl final and they are in. By the way, there is revenue sharing amongst the league too so a successful event that London puts on benefits ALL the teams.
The sense of entitlement that people have really blows me away sometimes.
(and by the way, go through all my old posts. I had advocated for Windsor and Barrie to get it ahead of the Knights only for the reason that we had it recently.)
In case you didn't notice the fans have no bearing in that area and that's what makes it frustrating. You act like fans that post on this board have a bearing on how the franchise is run and with the exception of community owned teams that isn't the case.

It's an event hosted by the OHL every 3 years so any money an organization gets can only help cover any losses for that year. A 2 million dollar event would provide windfall of $100,000 for each team which is small potatoes now in junior hockey.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I found this on the Portland Winterhawks website they might be revolutionizing season ticket packages for fans. You pay a monthly fee for the hockey year for season tickets regular and playoffs, along with a pass to watch all away games online. Surprised Windsor wouldn't think outside the box considering interest is quite low.

Intersting idea. Would probly work well for some, as long as the options stays to only by tics and not the extras its a great idea.
Creative idea for sure and maybe a future model for many teams

Old
05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
etr102

Quote:

This is an excellent idea. Especially, the online streaming pass. I wish the OHL's streaming was better. The low bit rate that NeuLion (or whoever it is) streams with is pretty bad considering how much it costs.

Of course the NHL GameCenter streaming sucks as well. For some reason neither can match the quality that MLB.tv provides.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
In case you didn't notice the fans have no bearing in that area and that's what makes it frustrating. You act like fans that post on this board have a bearing on how the franchise is run and with the exception of community owned teams that isn't the case.

It's an event hosted by the OHL every 3 years so any money an organization gets can only help cover any losses for that year. A 2 million dollar event would provide windfall of $100,000 for each team which is small potatoes now in junior hockey.
That wasn't my intended point. You are right, the fans have no control over Rychel and Boug's mess they are making. But my point is that instead of taking out the frustration (derived from the mess) on a successful bid of another team, I guess just keep taking out your frustration on the right topics. Your team.

The money that London will generate from this compared to Windsor and Barrie will make the pie bigger....meaning each team in the revenue sharing (all of them) will get more out of it. Windsor could use the money no? I know some teams could.
If Windsor or Barrie got the bid and got knocked out first round, it may detract from the event and make less money too (ignoring for the moment the obvious reasons why they would make less ie: size of arena). The strength of Londons squad next year played a big roll in the selection. Guarantee you many are not happy about the 'toon this year. And ya ya, don't remind me about last year and the Shaw winning it all.....they were still a very good hockey team, that was well rested with no injuries. All you have to do is go on a little run, get some bounces and boom the cup is yours. Doesn't mean it is right or works. They want the host team to have to go through the trenches just like everybody else.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:27 PM
OHLTG

Getting rev sharing from the Cup is a consolation prize compared to getting the rev if you hosted it.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:36 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
The money that London will generate from this compared to Windsor and Barrie will make the pie bigger....meaning each team in the revenue sharing (all of them) will get more out of it. . They want the host team to have to go through the trenches just like everybody else.
Rotate through the larger arenas (Copps, Ricoh, Air Canada and Civic Centre). League acts as host committee. Both finalists make cup (no politics). Winner of league final gets host schedule. You will end up with the two best (at the time) teams representing the league. No free rides, no worries that one team would be too weak.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
OHLTG

Don't like it for two reasons:

1. It lessens the league title.

2. Part of the Memorial Cup experience is going to those towns and taking in what they have to offer for the Cup. Rimouski in 2009 was amazing off-ice and the on-ice stuff was just the cherry on top.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
Rotate through the larger arenas (Copps, Ricoh, Air Canada and Civic Centre). League acts as host committee. Both finalists make cup (no politics). Winner of league final gets host schedule. You will end up with the two best (at the time) teams representing the league. No free rides, no worries that one team would be too weak.
I LOVE this idea. To expand on it, get rid of the 'host' team, and each year it goes to each league, goes to a central location (like you listed) and have the format done like the Sutherland cup in Junior B. Do a round robin, and then one team goes home and the last two play a best of 7 at that site for all the marbles. People who love hockey would go. I don't care who was playing, I'd be there.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:38 PM
aresknights

How do you guarantee tickets for the host teams season ticket holders?
They'd want advance sales, ya never know who'll make it and I believe the host teams reg season ticket holders deserves chance to see their team play. I also doubt they could save enough for both fan bases if its league host.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:46 PM
RayzorIsDull

Terrific article and this would express the frustration of Windsor fans much better but I imagine some fans still would not get it.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/curi...0506--spt.html

Old
05-15-2013, 06:20 PM
nelli27

Quote:
Terrific article and this would express the frustration of Windsor fans much better but I imagine some fans still would not get it.

I get the frustration. However, I wanted to comment on one of your earlier posts because I thought it was one of the most important statements that anyone has mentioned and it didn't get the attention it deserved.
You mentioned Guelph, and their decision not to put in a bid. I share your concern with the lack of opportunity for the smaller market teams to compete with what London can offer.
Even if we grant/concede that London's bid was the best this year (it probably was)and for that reason they deserved the Memorial Cup, there's still the issue of how a London bid deters other teams from bidding for fear that they can't compete with London's bid. I think if Guelph put in a bid, that they would have been the better choice. They will ice an excellent team next year and even though they hosted in 2002, that's still over a decade since their last hosting gig.
I'm interested in reading about Guelph's specific reasons for not bidding. Would you happen to have a link or reference? Thanks.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:23 PM
OHLTG

From Guelph Mercury:

Part of the formal bid process involves guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue for the Canadian Hockey League. Teams with bigger pockets, bigger rinks and bigger corporate support often have an advantage in how much they can guarantee the CHL.

Hoyle said finances were part of the Storm’s decision not to proceed, but not the only reason. He declined to discuss those other reasons.

“That’s internal with the OHL,” Hoyle said.

Hoyle was asked if the financial realities of hosting the Memorial Cup put small and mid-market teams like Guelph with smaller arenas behind the eight ball when looking to host it.

“They’re not automatically excluded, but the odds aren’t in your favour,” he said.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:55 PM
nelli27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
From Guelph Mercury:

Part of the formal bid process involves guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue for the Canadian Hockey League. Teams with bigger pockets, bigger rinks and bigger corporate support often have an advantage in how much they can guarantee the CHL.

Hoyle said finances were part of the Storm’s decision not to proceed, but not the only reason. He declined to discuss those other reasons.

Hoyle was asked if the financial realities of hosting the Memorial Cup put small and mid-market teams like Guelph with smaller arenas behind the eight ball when looking to host it.

“They’re not automatically excluded, but the odds aren’t in your favour,” he said.
thank you.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:

Here is what I take from it: Windsor got hosed in 2011. They should have been awarded the cup. St Johns got hosed last year, they should have got the cup. So two years out of 9 (the reason I say 9 is because it makes reference back to 04/05 so I imagine all years in between were thought of) they made 'poor' choices for the host.
Did I get it right? Still doesnt explain why people have a sour attitude to the best bid getting awarded the cup next year. And I dont think a 3year old bitterness vendetta or a I hate everything about London (lookin at you 108), counts.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
From Guelph Mercury:

So do more scouting, get better players, expand your rink....you get out of it what you put into it. Man this is funny...Knights were the laughing stock of the OHL and not considered as cup host for, well, ever. Templeton used to say he loved bringing his team to the London Gardens (with a grocery store beside it). He said its the only place in the league you can do your groceries and pick up a guaranteed two points.
The knights run into some success over the past decade and now they are criminals and the lightening rod for all that is wrong with the OHL. Sorry if I dont cry for the small market team but they have had their day, and surely will have it again. Everything in sports is cyclical. You'll have your turn again Windsor, Guelph etc.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Pukhogg

Any rumors of players being traded or signed as of yet? What changes do you see or want to see happen?

Old
05-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
Any rumors of players being traded or signed as of yet? What changes do you see or want to see happen?
I'd like to see a change in the coaching staff and get away from the friends and family plan. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:17 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
What I want to see and what I think happens are totally different things. I was really thinking it over and London getting the Memorial Cup really kills any hope of Rychel wanting to rebuild. Next year will be all about a London coronation. People talk about Guelph or Owen Sound being good and that's fine and dandy but with London in their division they will be under no illusions of trying to be that other team to make it to the Memorial Cup. There's nobody in Windsor's division that is in any shape of being a threat to London. Look at the East and it's pretty murky Barrie might try and depending if Gaunce returns maybe Belleville takes another kick at the can. I think Sudbury could make noise but they are battling the stigma of players wanting to play there.

Rychel is in a tough position now if he wants to rebuild he has to act now in the offseason, he can't wait until the deadline when a guy like Monahan is the big fish to reel in instead of Kerby.

What I think happens Rychel and Boughner ride this thing out and see if they can threaten London. They will go into the year with

Forwards
Rychel
Vail
Giftopolous
Ho-Sang
Verbeek
Moore

Up in the air Johnson, Studnicka, Marchese

Rychel will try and hit 2 home runs in the import draft and maybe get a US kid to come in. That would bring you to 8-9 forwards and fill in the blanks with another OA.

Defense
Sieloff
Koekkoek
Ebert
Murphy
Bateman
Sanvido
Brown
Murray
Burns

Definitely need to figure out what you do there a trade could bring back a forward to help depth.

Goaltending
??

Rychel will try and go for it because there won't be a market to trade in. Guys to target via trade Goodrow (Brampton) coming off 38 goal season would be a terrific OA up front with Giftopolous. Altshuller need somebody in net. Brace with Owen Sound seems to have fallen out of favor with the team 30+ goals last year lots of speed. Fox as another OA possibility in Erie he would bring some sandpaper to the Spits team which is definitely needed. Some of those players might cost a but all of them are realistic.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:41 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Sorry if I dont cry for the small market team but they have had their day, and surely will have it again. Everything in sports is cyclical. You'll have your turn again Windsor, Guelph etc.
a) we're not small market

b) "you'll have your turn again..." shouldn't apply to off-ice stuff. This WAS our turn, again, and Spitfires fans feel like they got screwed...again. You'll have to excuse non-London fans if they're slightly irritated with the situation. I'm not caring much anymore, but you have to look at this from a non-London view.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:13 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
What I want to see and what I think happens are totally different things. I was really thinking it over and London getting the Memorial Cup really kills any hope of Rychel wanting to rebuild. Next year will be all about a London coronation. People talk about Guelph or Owen Sound being good and that's fine and dandy but with London in their division they will be under no illusions of trying to be that other team to make it to the Memorial Cup. There's nobody in Windsor's division that is in any shape of being a threat to London. Look at the East and it's pretty murky Barrie might try and depending if Gaunce returns maybe Belleville takes another kick at the can. I think Sudbury could make noise but they are battling the stigma of players wanting to play there.

Rychel is in a tough position now if he wants to rebuild he has to act now in the offseason, he can't wait until the deadline when a guy like Monahan is the big fish to reel in instead of Kerby.

What I think happens Rychel and Boughner ride this thing out and see if they can threaten London. They will go into the year with

Forwards
Rychel
Vail
Giftopolous
Ho-Sang
Verbeek
Moore

Up in the air Johnson, Studnicka, Marchese

Rychel will try and hit 2 home runs in the import draft and maybe get a US kid to come in. That would bring you to 8-9 forwards and fill in the blanks with another OA.

Defense
Sieloff
Koekkoek
Ebert
Murphy
Bateman
Sanvido
Brown
Murray
Burns

Definitely need to figure out what you do there a trade could bring back a forward to help depth.

Goaltending
??

Rychel will try and go for it because there won't be a market to trade in. Guys to target via trade Goodrow (Brampton) coming off 38 goal season would be a terrific OA up front with Giftopolous. Altshuller need somebody in net. Brace with Owen Sound seems to have fallen out of favor with the team 30+ goals last year lots of speed. Fox as another OA possibility in Erie he would bring some sandpaper to the Spits team which is definitely needed. Some of those players might cost a but all of them are realistic.
Monahan won't be going anywhere with Konency arriving and excited...he and Mono should be dynamite together. Bulls will be pretty good still and Kingston should make huge jump next year...they are loaded with prospects last 2 drafts and now will turn the corner. Sudbury should continue to improve also and North Bay will be solid.

Owen Sound will be top 5 along with Soo team......Guelph, London will likely battle OS in midwest while Windsor will battle an improving Sarnia team. Saginaw and Plymouth could take one step backwards and Kitchener goes to build shop.

A lot of teams will have high end guys on market for raffle and NHL draft should kick it off. London will wait like Windsor on the pro draft to see who lands where then go about landing and high end castoffs....there was some good players moved last year over summer and I think OS landed some then.

There will be plenty of players made available after all the buying this year at deadline that didn't work out. Teams like Sudbury, Erie are drowning in picks and Kingston will be looking for a vet or two to work with their kids.

Happy shopping.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:49 AM
OHLTG

Rayzor, you forgot a forward in that group - Bilcke. As much as you may not like him, unless something changes, he's back next year. They will need him with Clark gone and Bowen 50/50 given our defensive depth.

Right now, we have:

Rychel
Vail
Giftopoulos
Ho-Sang
Verbeek
Moore
Bilcke

Add:

Import
Import
Flyer or pick.
Marchese
Studnicka

That gives us 12-13 forwards, perhaps more if we deal depth from the D. As long as we stay healthy and don't do anything stupid to earn 5-10 game suspensions, I can see this team competing against anyone in the West. We did it at times last year so there's no reason to believe otherwise now.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:21 AM
goalpostmahoney

Quote:
Rayzor, you forgot a forward in that group - Bilcke. As much as you may not like him, unless something changes, he's back next year. They will need him with Clark gone and Bowen 50/50 given our defensive depth.

Right now, we have:

Rychel
Vail
Giftopoulos
Ho-Sang
Verbeek
Moore
Bilcke

Add:

Import
Import
Flyer or pick.
Marchese
Studnicka

That gives us 12-13 forwards, perhaps more if we deal depth from the D. As long as we stay healthy and don't do anything stupid to earn 5-10 game suspensions, I can see this team competing against anyone in the West. We did it at times last year so there's no reason to believe otherwise now.
Hey Mr. Bilke as far as your concerned he is the number one forward.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximSpiridonov View Post
You don't just get a "turn". You earn it. This isn't student of the month club.

Saying you got screwed is hilarious, it was nothing of the sort. You got caught cheating, say what you will about other teams, Windsor and only Windsor got caught. So lets go ahead and reward this cheating by giving a team who didn't make the playoffs by 10 pts the Memorial Cup and just pray they somehow make it with their ho-hum lineup. Oh not to mention a week after the season ends you have the nice little downtown incident with one of the players (and a minor) all over the newspaper.

If your bid was the best you win, it wasn't you lost. I actually thought Barrie was going to win and would have been happy for them if so.
Hey Maxine, I think you are missing the point; do I think Windsor got screwed? yes in 2011, not this year, they did not deserve it.
My point goes back to the criteria used to determine a host. Somebody posted a comment by Branch saying that if Windsor or Barrie would be returning a comparable roster to London, they would have got the hosting gig. In 2011, Windsor was returning a significant part of the cup winning team, but lost out due to guaranteed money. This time they guaranteed the most money, but lose out on strength of roster.
I have no problem with London hosting if they were clearly the best based on the hosting criteria, but when the criteria seem to be moving targets to suit the league, then what's the point in bidding.
I don't feel bad for Windsor, whether or not they had the best bid is irrelevent to me, the other negatives swirling around the team did them in. I feel bad for teams like Barrie and Kingston and Soo and Guelph, because unless the committee or criteria get revamped, they will never get a hosting gig.

Closed Thread