HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2013, 07:23 PM
  #226
wingnutks
Registered User
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
The way to deal with malkin in the past was to take a bunch of cheapshots at him and get him to retailiate and take him off his game like that... its not a good strategy right now because that style of play will get the Pens PP time and frankly thats not a good trade off right now. Malkin supposedly has a shoulder problem that may need surgery in the offseason. he isnt using that powerful shot as often as he used to. he is more in playmaking mode than scoring mode. I just dont really see how you can contain him or Crosby right now with the wealth of talent around them. If you sell out on them, you are leaving a lot of playmakers go elsewhere
Yup. Exactly why Malkin only had 3 goals.... But 10 assists.

Best way to handle Malkin is to make him play defense every time he steps on the ice.

wingnutks is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 08:45 PM
  #227
EngellandHitSomebody
Registered User
 
EngellandHitSomebody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 412/724
Country: United States
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
I was absolutely shocked McClean didn't have Neil shadowing Geno/Neal. They are too easy to draw into stupidity and Neil is too good at agitating. He could be the key piece for the Sens if they use him correctly. McClean ought to tell him to ignore the puck and spend the whole shift following either Malkin or Neal while watching the pp's rack up in game 2.

EngellandHitSomebody is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 08:58 PM
  #228
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngellandHitSomebody View Post
I was absolutely shocked McClean didn't have Neil shadowing Geno/Neal. They are too easy to draw into stupidity and Neil is too good at agitating. He could be the key piece for the Sens if they use him correctly. McClean ought to tell him to ignore the puck and spend the whole shift following either Malkin or Neal while watching the pp's rack up in game 2.
Neil was on Crosby and did a fairly good job, imo. I liked that matchup. He took a few runs at Crosby, and although they didn't connect and do some damage, it let Crosby know Neil was certainly there. CBC has a few highlights focused on Crosby and he was pretty much floating around, not going into the corners, etc. Not expecting that to continue, but Neil on Crosby ended up being a solid decision by MacLean.

But even if we did get the powerplays, unlikely anything would happen. Our powerplay right now is a complete momentum killer. Not saying we should stop trying to get powerplays, but it's actually so bad.

Also, it's MacLean, not McClean. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, but just letting you know for future posts

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 09:15 PM
  #229
KarlssonnSchultz
Registered User
 
KarlssonnSchultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
But yes I think the best player to have on Crosby is Neil, for Malkin I'd like Spezza back to play with Michalek and maybe even Condra or Silfverberg? Try your best to get cycles going and keep the puck in Pittsburgh's end so Malkin has his least amount of time in the offensive zone.


Last edited by Screw You Rick Nash: 05-15-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: removed quote
KarlssonnSchultz is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
  #230
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlssonnSchultz View Post
But yes I think the best player to have on Crosby is Neil, for Malkin I'd like Spezza back to play with Michalek and maybe even Condra or Silfverberg? Try your best to get cycles going and keep the puck in Pittsburgh's end so Malkin has his least amount of time in the offensive zone.
Conacher might be an effective pest against Malkin. I'm not sure what it is about him, but he can really agitate the opponents and draw some calls.


Last edited by Screw You Rick Nash: 05-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Milan the God* is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:26 PM
  #231
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
This is a crucial time for the Pens. If they are smart, they keep this series as low-key and as emotionless as possible. The only thing that could derail this is the Sens getting a hate on or starting to believe that the Pens are beatable and undisciplined. This is exactly what has happened in the last two Pens' playoff series. One they lost, of course, and one they really struggled to find their game.

Just play another rope-a-dope game, score a few goals, stay out of the scrums...easier said than done, I know.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
  #232
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
I feel like the 09 and 10 Pens teams could manage that, but the 12 and 13 varieties are so undisciplined that they will be easily dragged into a brawl if even slightly provoked, thus levelling the talent disparity and giving Ottawa a serious chance. And even if they come out of it with 4 wins, they'll be battered for the next round.

Arguably the best roster we've put together in the Crosby era, but the most undisciplined since 07.
That's what happens when your coach runs the team like a country club.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:36 PM
  #233
GreatStateofHockey
Registered User
 
GreatStateofHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 986
vCash: 50
Tuesday was tough to watch as a Sens fan.

Our defense who has been rock solid against Montreal made too many gaffs. I know Pittsburgh is better offensively, but our defense needs to get better at clearing the puck.

Goaltending was about even. Anderson didn't make any exceptional saves, but he played ok. Pittsburgh was running all over our defense. Vokoun screwed up big a few times but Pittsburghs defense bailed him out.

Offensively, Pittsburgh is just a tier ahead of the Sens, Ottawa doesn't have the skill Pittsburgh has.

Ottawa needs to come out gunning next game, and hopefully they can steal one, but I'm expecting Pittsburgh to be 2-0 heading back to Ottawa.

Offensively, Pittsabb

GreatStateofHockey is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
  #234
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 31,884
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
This is a crucial time for the Pens. If they are smart, they keep this series as low-key and as emotionless as possible. The only thing that could derail this is the Sens getting a hate on or starting to believe that the Pens are beatable and undisciplined. This is exactly what has happened in the last two Pens' playoff series. One they lost, of course, and one they really struggled to find their game.

Just play another rope-a-dope game, score a few goals, stay out of the scrums...easier said than done, I know.
I tend to agree, but that's just not par for the course for guys such as Neal, Geno, and Letang. They will stir the pot and fall for the old gimmicks. No lesson taught will get these kids to pay attention. It's frustrating, but what can ya do?

I agree that they should stay out of scrums and let Ottawa get frustrated. But what will happen? We all know the answer to that.

ColePens is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 03:55 AM
  #235
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Neil was on Crosby and did a fairly good job, imo. I liked that matchup. He took a few runs at Crosby, and although they didn't connect and do some damage, it let Crosby know Neil was certainly there. CBC has a few highlights focused on Crosby and he was pretty much floating around, not going into the corners, etc. Not expecting that to continue, but Neil on Crosby ended up being a solid decision by MacLean.

But even if we did get the powerplays, unlikely anything would happen. Our powerplay right now is a complete momentum killer. Not saying we should stop trying to get powerplays, but it's actually so bad.

Also, it's MacLean, not McClean. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, but just letting you know for future posts
Lol, Sid was floating around because of the Zetterberg like shadowing Neil did on Crosby?

This is more delicious than Karlsson's effort on Dupuis goal.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 03:57 AM
  #236
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Conacher might be an effective pest against Malkin. I'm not sure what it is about him, but he can really agitate the opponents and draw some calls.
CBC showed some of Conacher's activities and all it did was outline the cheap shots he was throwing out and how the refs finally tagged him on a weak call just to send him a message, then he was railed by Orpik and others and the refs just let him take it. The worst call of the game was Karlsson's dive when Neal was trying to go around him, the most lovely part was when Neal crushed him and took a call just to say "Try diving when I skate right through you."

This will be a fun series.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 05:03 AM
  #237
Sikhander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
CBC showed some of Conacher's activities and all it did was outline the cheap shots he was throwing out and how the refs finally tagged him on a weak call just to send him a message, then he was railed by Orpik and others and the refs just let him take it. The worst call of the game was Karlsson's dive when Neal was trying to go around him, the most lovely part was when Neal crushed him and took a call just to say "Try diving when I skate right through you."
You got to love unbiased fans

Sikhander is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 06:51 AM
  #238
Wasz
Registered User
 
Wasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
I'm really appreciating this thread a lot. Lots of insight and information on both sides.

Just wanted to add I feel like the Pens D did some serious heavy lifting in front of the net. There were a few times things turned into a mess in front of Vokoun, but there were more times Sens players got boxed out or the puck was moved out of danger. Lots of credit to Orpik playing his best game of the year on that.

I feel like if those pucks keep ending up laying in the crease like that though the Sens will eventually find enough of them to be a problem. All they need is that little boost.

Still lots of hockey to play I'm looking forward to reading more of this thread.

Wasz is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 07:00 AM
  #239
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Germany
Posts: 42,353
vCash: 500
Yeah, I must say, I was more impressed with the Pens D than the Pens O in that game.

Obviously that was their strategy with the lead, and it worked out.

NyQuil is online now  
Old
05-16-2013, 07:15 AM
  #240
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,747
vCash: 500
I'd really like to see Methot on the ice every time Malkin is on the ice to be honest. He's smart, physical, big and has a great stick. Almost a perfect shut-down defender. Greening - Pageau - Condra was doing a great job with the Crosby line in the first game so I think those are two important match-ups

Cujomi is online now  
Old
05-16-2013, 07:32 AM
  #241
domaug*
Flahr Pahr
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikhander View Post
You got to love unbiased fans
what would be "unbiased" here? kissing up to Conacher and everything he does?

domaug* is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 08:25 AM
  #242
alcanalz
whys and wherefores
 
alcanalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,690
vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
That's what happens when your coach runs the team like a country club.
Lol. Proof?

alcanalz is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
  #243
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'
 
TheRollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,736
vCash: 500
Cowen just needs to be shown clips of Hamonic from the Isles series. He did about as good a job as a guy could do in throwing Malkin off his game.

TheRollingPuck is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
  #244
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
CBC showed some of Conacher's activities and all it did was outline the cheap shots he was throwing out and how the refs finally tagged him on a weak call just to send him a message, then he was railed by Orpik and others and the refs just let him take it. The worst call of the game was Karlsson's dive when Neal was trying to go around him, the most lovely part was when Neal crushed him and took a call just to say "Try diving when I skate right through you."

This will be a fun series.
The worst call, IMO, was when Conacher shot crosschecked Letang

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:49 AM
  #245
Sikhander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
what would be "unbiased" here? kissing up to Conacher and everything he does?
Of course not. And we are all biased one way or the other. That text was just such a blatant one sided stream of manure it was hard not to laugh a little extra

Sikhander is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:58 AM
  #246
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,139
vCash: 256
I think Ottawa is able to limit the effectiveness of Crosby OR Malkin: Crosby was pretty much a non-factor (as much a non-factor as the best player in the NHL can be I guess) in Game 1

I don't think it's reasonnable to expect the Senators to shut both Croby and Lakin down though

Hopefully, if/when Spezza comes back it should make limiting their chances a bit easier

Do Make Say Think is online now  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:05 AM
  #247
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I think Ottawa is able to limit the effectiveness of Crosby OR Malkin: Crosby was pretty much a non-factor (as much a non-factor as the best player in the NHL can be I guess) in Game 1

I don't think it's reasonnable to expect the Senators to shut both Croby and Lakin down though

Hopefully, if/when Spezza comes back it should make limiting their chances a bit easier
Depth in general could play a factor. Although I thought that in the Islander series as well and look how that turned out, the Pens barely escaped from that series. But on paper, when you are sitting a point a game guy in Jokinen because you do not have room in your top TWELVE that is saying something. It would not at all be unreasonable to see a third line of Morrow - Sutter - Iginla. How many teams have defensive pairings deep enough to matchup with the lines Pittsburgh can roll out? Again though, that is on paper. In reality the Pens were healthy for most of the Islander series and they matched up just fine.

As an aside, came across this example of fandom that makes me want to stab my eyes out. What ever would possess someone to manscape their apparently voluminous chest and belly hair into an expression of support for their team?


Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:11 AM
  #248
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlssonnSchultz View Post
But yes I think the best player to have on Crosby is Neil, for Malkin I'd like Spezza back to play with Michalek and maybe even Condra or Silfverberg? Try your best to get cycles going and keep the puck in Pittsburgh's end so Malkin has his least amount of time in the offensive zone.
I think Pageau did an excellent job last game against Crosby.

coladin is online now  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:12 AM
  #249
shizno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Depth in general could play a factor. Although I thought that in the Islander series as well and look how that turned out, the Pens barely escaped from that series. But on paper, when you are sitting a point a game guy in Jokinen because you do not have room in your top TWELVE that is saying something. It would not at all be unreasonable to see a third line of Morrow - Sutter - Iginla. How many teams have defensive pairings deep enough to matchup with the lines Pittsburgh can roll out? Again though, that is on paper. In reality the Pens were healthy for most of the Islander series and they matched up just fine.

As an aside, came across this example of fandom that makes me want to stab my eyes out. What ever would possess someone to manscape their apparently voluminous chest and belly hair into an expression of support for their team?

You aren't a big enough pens fan obviously!

shizno is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:13 AM
  #250
Quo
Moderator
storms in my knees
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,435
vCash: 500
Hey...if you've got the fuzz, you might as well work it.

Quo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.