HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 01:56 AM
  #151
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
As crazy good as Jagr would be for this team...that's a pipedream. Gonchar and Streit are likely to sign for huge money on the east coast (no travel, and no western connections).

Zidlicky knows the travel he'd be in for, and if he came that cheap...we'd be stupid to not sign him. RHD that's also a PMD...if I recall correctly. Even if not, I know he can play right at least.
I know Jagr said he wants to play in Canada one more time before he retires, so I think it might be between us and Montreal, if Gillis shows interest in him. Jagr is just what we need to play with Kesler, and Despite Gillis' intention to get younger, we have no one in our system even close to what Jagr brings now. It would cost nothing but cash, so I think it would be a good move to make.

I know Devils fans have been disappointed in Zidlicky's play lately, so we might be able to get him for cheap, although I agree it is pretty unlikely we get both in under the cap.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:58 AM
  #152
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
Edler+ for etem/sbisa
You lost me here. Why would we do this?

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 02:09 AM
  #153
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I know Jagr said he wants to play in Canada one more time before he retires, so I think it might be between us and Montreal, if Gillis shows interest in him. Jagr is just what we need to play with Kesler, and Despite Gillis' intention to get younger, we have no one in our system even close to what Jagr brings now. It would cost nothing but cash, so I think it would be a good move to make.

I know Devils fans have been disappointed in Zidlicky's play lately, so we might be able to get him for cheap, although I agree it is pretty unlikely we get both in under the cap.
As I said...Jagr would be HUGE! He's like a topline version of Torres and what I want him for, but I have a feeling Montreal, if it's a two horse race, will throw everything at him, and I just don't think we'd get further then 2nd again (as with Clowe and Doan over the summer). If we can...yes! We should make a pitch, but I just can't get my hopes up.

Zidlicky could be our reclamation project on a bridge contract. If we could get him at the cap hit you cited, or even a little more, he'd do good things for our blueline.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 02:54 AM
  #154
mrbitterguy
Registered User
 
mrbitterguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: san francisco
Country: Canada
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
As I said...Jagr would be HUGE! He's like a topline version of Torres and what I want him for, but I have a feeling Montreal, if it's a two horse race, will throw everything at him, and I just don't think we'd get further then 2nd again (as with Clowe and Doan over the summer). If we can...yes! We should make a pitch, but I just can't get my hopes up.
wut.

i think you need to explain how jagr's game is in any way remotely similar to torres'. one of those guys slows the game down with amazing puck possession and has elite vision and instincts. the other is a gorilla on skates with a brain the size of a walnut.

mrbitterguy is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
  #155
GrogZilla
Registered User
 
GrogZilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Edler traded.
I was against it & I still don't think it'll happen but I'm starting to believe it should.

If Edler's NTC kicks in, we then have our top 4 D locked up for the next 3 years & all of them will have NTCs.

We have up & coming D. Tanev & Corrado both able to play right now.
Tommernes signed & coming next year. Anderson looking like he deserves a shot soon.
We have no room for any of our young D to move up in the depth chart.
To make 3 solid pairings out of our top 6, someone has to play out of position or one of our top 6 ends up in the bottom pair.

We need scoring help in our top 2 lines.
If we keep all 4 of our top 4 D, we just don't have the cap space needed to add much top 6 help.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Jaromir Jagr ($4.550m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.300m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.800m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Kellan Lain ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.400m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Henrik Tommernes ($0.680m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,662,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $637,222

I used Iginla & Jagr as top 6 wingers, but didn't add anything from trading Edler, they were mostly salary placeholders, as were the spare forwards & the 7th D.
Although I do like the idea of clearing space to sign Iginla & Jagr. Then if it doesn't work & we suck at the trade deadline, we can trade them both to contenders for assets.

GrogZilla is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
  #156
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
wut.

i think you need to explain how jagr's game is in any way remotely similar to torres'. one of those guys slows the game down with amazing puck possession and has elite vision and instincts. the other is a gorilla on skates with a brain the size of a walnut.
Jagr is old. Canucks have zero interest in him.

Alflives is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:57 AM
  #157
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Jagr is old. Canucks have zero interest in him.
Youth is overrated.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:04 AM
  #158
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,832
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Jagr is old. Canucks have zero interest in him.
But he's got them moves like Jagr,
Moves like Jagr,
Moooooooooves like Jagr

Just A Bit Outside is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:15 AM
  #159
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Edler traded.
I was against it & I still don't think it'll happen but I'm starting to believe it should.

If Edler's NTC kicks in, we then have our top 4 D locked up for the next 3 years & all of them will have NTCs.

We have up & coming D. Tanev & Corrado both able to play right now.
Tommernes signed & coming next year. Anderson looking like he deserves a shot soon.
We have no room for any of our young D to move up in the depth chart.
To make 3 solid pairings out of our top 6, someone has to play out of position or one of our top 6 ends up in the bottom pair.

We need scoring help in our top 2 lines.
If we keep all 4 of our top 4 D, we just don't have the cap space needed to add much top 6 help.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Jaromir Jagr ($4.550m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.300m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.800m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Kellan Lain ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.400m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Henrik Tommernes ($0.680m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,662,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $637,222

I used Iginla & Jagr as top 6 wingers, but didn't add anything from trading Edler, they were mostly salary placeholders, as were the spare forwards & the 7th D.
Although I do like the idea of clearing space to sign Iginla & Jagr. Then if it doesn't work & we suck at the trade deadline, we can trade them both to contenders for assets.
i'd loooooove to get tanev at that price but pretty sure he'll get about 50 RFA offer sheets thrown his way if mg doesn't sign him first

i predict minimum 2 mil

stickside is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:18 AM
  #160
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,064
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
i'd loooooove to get tanev at that price but pretty sure he'll get about 50 RFA offer sheets thrown his way if mg doesn't sign him first

i predict minimum 2 mil
Why is Tanev going to make so much? Think of what Alzner got, they're very similar players. I don't think offer sheets will be an issue.

Linden is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:18 AM
  #161
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
i'd loooooove to get tanev at that price but pretty sure he'll get about 50 RFA offer sheets thrown his way if mg doesn't sign him first

i predict minimum 2 mil
Look at what PK Subban got, and that was after holding out for part of the season. You really think Tanev will command a min of 2 mil?

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
  #162
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,064
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Youth is overrated.
it's not

Linden is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:20 AM
  #163
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Look at what PK Subban got, and that was after holding out for part of the season. You really think Tanev will command a min of 2 mil?
I do. i think teams will target the canucks and their cap crunch. i know i would.

i'm not saying he's worth 2 million, but some other gm will definitely try and screw over mg.

stickside is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:23 AM
  #164
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
i'd loooooove to get tanev at that price but pretty sure he'll get about 50 RFA offer sheets thrown his way if mg doesn't sign him first

i predict minimum 2 mil
What makes you think this, I've opened this debate with people on this site many times. What exactly has Chris Tanev done to warrant more money.

10 points in 102 NHL games (Regular season and playoffs). Generally for teams to want to offersheet, there needs to be some semblance of production.

It's not there with Tanev.

We know Subban didn't sign one, and we know that he is a much better player at this point than Tanev.

Are teams really going to overpay for a guy who really hasn't established himself as a player who can handle big minutes against good competition.

I definitely don't see it as being realistic.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
  #165
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
it's not
Well, if we don't sign Jagr, and we decide to fill our hole in the top-6 with youth, how do we become a better team? Does anyone really think we'd be better off trying Jensen or Sweatt or whoever in the top-6 instead of Jagr on a 1-year deal?

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:26 AM
  #166
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Why is Tanev going to make so much? Think of what Alzner got, they're very similar players. I don't think offer sheets will be an issue.
He isn't, especially when you factor in draft spot (comes into account for contracts), production, and minutes.

Alzner plays tough minutes, Tanev doesn't at this point.

If I had a choice for one of those guys at this point, it's Alzner, and I'm a big Tanev fan. I just think some of you guys get these little ideas in your head and run with them a little too far.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:27 AM
  #167
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What makes you think this, I've opened this debate with people on this site many times. What exactly has Chris Tanev done to warrant more money.

10 points in 102 NHL games (Regular season and playoffs). Generally for teams to want to offersheet, there needs to be some semblance of production.

It's not there with Tanev.

We know Subban didn't sign one, and we know that he is a much better player at this point than Tanev.

Are teams really going to overpay for a guy who really hasn't established himself as a player who can handle big minutes against good competition.

I definitely don't see it as being realistic.
it's just instinct i have about the kind of player he is now and his upside potential. the kid is a gem. i don't factor in his point production at all. i could care less if he has zero points, his hockey sense is off the charts.

i totally agree with this article

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...209/story.html

stickside is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:29 AM
  #168
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Well, if we don't sign Jagr, and we decide to fill our hole in the top-6 with youth, how do we become a better team? Does anyone really think we'd be better off trying Jensen or Sweatt or whoever in the top-6 instead of Jagr on a 1-year deal?
Have you seen Jagr lately?

Slow as molasses.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
  #169
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Have you seen Jagr lately?

Slow as molasses.
He's still a puck-possession beast and a great playmaker.

If all we want is speed we may as well re-sign Raymond.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:32 AM
  #170
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
it's just instinct i have about the kind of player he is now and his upside potential. the kid is a gem. i don't factor in his point production at all. i could care less if he has zero points, his hockey sense is off the charts.

i totally agree with this article

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...209/story.html
PK Subban didn't sign any offersheets and he has much more hype around the league. He was also coming off an excellent season playing top line minutes against other top lines. In the end he signed a 2.875m contract and this year is a Norris finalist. Somehow no team thought to offer more than 2.875m.

Tanev has zero hype, is coming off a season where he faced 5th toughest competition on the team's D, produces no offense and can't play on the PP. What exactly will make him such a hot target for offer sheets?

Tiranis is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
  #171
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He's still a puck-possession beast and a great playmaker.

If all we want is speed we may as well re-sign Raymond.
Serious question, have you watched him this playoffs?

He's slow and he's giving the puck away a ton.

I'm not giving Jagr 4.5+ million for what I've seen this year.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:38 AM
  #172
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Serious question, have you watched him this playoffs?

He's slow and he's giving the puck away a ton.

I'm not giving Jagr 4.5+ million for what I've seen this year.
I have been watching him this playoffs, and he's been one of Boston's best players. He's just been stuck on the third line so hasn't hit the score sheet as much. Although in Game 7 Julien finally moved him up to the 2nd line and he made a great feed that led to the game-tying goal.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:40 AM
  #173
stickside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
PK Subban didn't sign any offersheets and he has much more hype around the league. He was also coming off an excellent season playing top line minutes against other top lines. In the end he signed a 2.875m contract and this year is a Norris finalist. Somehow no team thought to offer more than 2.875m.

Tanev has zero hype, is coming off a season where he faced 5th toughest competition on the team's D, produces no offense and can't play on the PP. What exactly will make him such a hot target for offer sheets?
why do some people always focus on the offensive side of things when evaluating defensive minded defensemen?

the canucks have no cap room. tanev is a steady, solid, reliable d-man that has tremendous upside. it's just my opinion that gillis needs to sign him now or else he'll be targeted, especially since the compensation for his anticipated salary bracket is a second rounder only.

stickside is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
  #174
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
it's not
Which young team is on it's way to win the Cup this year? I think the only "young" team left is OTT.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
  #175
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
why do some people always focus on the offensive side of things when evaluating defensive minded defensemen?

the canucks have no cap room. tanev is a steady, solid, reliable d-man that has tremendous upside. it's just my opinion that gillis needs to sign him now or else he'll be targeted, especially since the compensation for his anticipated salary bracket is a second rounder only.
You can't have tremendous upside if your a zero offense defensive dman.

He's a good player, could play a top 4 shutdown role for a long time, but isn't there.

To be honest, where Tanev projects and his anticipated salary bracket should be the compensation is nothing.


He should not be getting over $1.6m period, he's unlikely to crack $1.3m IMO.

3 years 3.6m, ending with one RFA year left.

arsmaster is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.