HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
As crazy good as Jagr would be for this team...that's a pipedream. Gonchar and Streit are likely to sign for huge money on the east coast (no travel, and no western connections).

Zidlicky knows the travel he'd be in for, and if he came that cheap...we'd be stupid to not sign him. RHD that's also a PMD...if I recall correctly. Even if not, I know he can play right at least.
I know Jagr said he wants to play in Canada one more time before he retires, so I think it might be between us and Montreal, if Gillis shows interest in him. Jagr is just what we need to play with Kesler, and Despite Gillis' intention to get younger, we have no one in our system even close to what Jagr brings now. It would cost nothing but cash, so I think it would be a good move to make.

I know Devils fans have been disappointed in Zidlicky's play lately, so we might be able to get him for cheap, although I agree it is pretty unlikely we get both in under the cap.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
Edler+ for etem/sbisa
You lost me here. Why would we do this?

Old
05-16-2013, 02:09 AM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I know Jagr said he wants to play in Canada one more time before he retires, so I think it might be between us and Montreal, if Gillis shows interest in him. Jagr is just what we need to play with Kesler, and Despite Gillis' intention to get younger, we have no one in our system even close to what Jagr brings now. It would cost nothing but cash, so I think it would be a good move to make.

I know Devils fans have been disappointed in Zidlicky's play lately, so we might be able to get him for cheap, although I agree it is pretty unlikely we get both in under the cap.
As I said...Jagr would be HUGE! He's like a topline version of Torres and what I want him for, but I have a feeling Montreal, if it's a two horse race, will throw everything at him, and I just don't think we'd get further then 2nd again (as with Clowe and Doan over the summer). If we can...yes! We should make a pitch, but I just can't get my hopes up.

Zidlicky could be our reclamation project on a bridge contract. If we could get him at the cap hit you cited, or even a little more, he'd do good things for our blueline.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:54 AM
mrbitterguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
As I said...Jagr would be HUGE! He's like a topline version of Torres and what I want him for, but I have a feeling Montreal, if it's a two horse race, will throw everything at him, and I just don't think we'd get further then 2nd again (as with Clowe and Doan over the summer). If we can...yes! We should make a pitch, but I just can't get my hopes up.
wut.

i think you need to explain how jagr's game is in any way remotely similar to torres'. one of those guys slows the game down with amazing puck possession and has elite vision and instincts. the other is a gorilla on skates with a brain the size of a walnut.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
GrogZilla

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Edler traded.
I was against it & I still don't think it'll happen but I'm starting to believe it should.

If Edler's NTC kicks in, we then have our top 4 D locked up for the next 3 years & all of them will have NTCs.

We have up & coming D. Tanev & Corrado both able to play right now.
Tommernes signed & coming next year. Anderson looking like he deserves a shot soon.
We have no room for any of our young D to move up in the depth chart.
To make 3 solid pairings out of our top 6, someone has to play out of position or one of our top 6 ends up in the bottom pair.

We need scoring help in our top 2 lines.
If we keep all 4 of our top 4 D, we just don't have the cap space needed to add much top 6 help.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Jaromir Jagr ($4.550m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.300m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.800m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Kellan Lain ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.400m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Henrik Tommernes ($0.680m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,662,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $637,222

I used Iginla & Jagr as top 6 wingers, but didn't add anything from trading Edler, they were mostly salary placeholders, as were the spare forwards & the 7th D.
Although I do like the idea of clearing space to sign Iginla & Jagr. Then if it doesn't work & we suck at the trade deadline, we can trade them both to contenders for assets.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
wut.

i think you need to explain how jagr's game is in any way remotely similar to torres'. one of those guys slows the game down with amazing puck possession and has elite vision and instincts. the other is a gorilla on skates with a brain the size of a walnut.
Jagr is old. Canucks have zero interest in him.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Youth is overrated.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
But he's got them moves like Jagr,
Moves like Jagr,
Moooooooooves like Jagr

Old
05-16-2013, 10:15 AM
stickside

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Edler traded.
I was against it & I still don't think it'll happen but I'm starting to believe it should.

If Edler's NTC kicks in, we then have our top 4 D locked up for the next 3 years & all of them will have NTCs.

We have up & coming D. Tanev & Corrado both able to play right now.
Tommernes signed & coming next year. Anderson looking like he deserves a shot soon.
We have no room for any of our young D to move up in the depth chart.
To make 3 solid pairings out of our top 6, someone has to play out of position or one of our top 6 ends up in the bottom pair.

We need scoring help in our top 2 lines.
If we keep all 4 of our top 4 D, we just don't have the cap space needed to add much top 6 help.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Jaromir Jagr ($4.550m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.300m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.800m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Kellan Lain ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.400m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Henrik Tommernes ($0.680m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,662,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $637,222

I used Iginla & Jagr as top 6 wingers, but didn't add anything from trading Edler, they were mostly salary placeholders, as were the spare forwards & the 7th D.
Although I do like the idea of clearing space to sign Iginla & Jagr. Then if it doesn't work & we suck at the trade deadline, we can trade them both to contenders for assets.
i'd loooooove to get tanev at that price but pretty sure he'll get about 50 RFA offer sheets thrown his way if mg doesn't sign him first

i predict minimum 2 mil

Old
05-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
i'd loooooove to get tanev at that price but pretty sure he'll get about 50 RFA offer sheets thrown his way if mg doesn't sign him first

i predict minimum 2 mil
Why is Tanev going to make so much? Think of what Alzner got, they're very similar players. I don't think offer sheets will be an issue.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:

i predict minimum 2 mil
Look at what PK Subban got, and that was after holding out for part of the season. You really think Tanev will command a min of 2 mil?

Old
05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Youth is overrated.
it's not

Old
05-16-2013, 10:20 AM
stickside

Quote:
Look at what PK Subban got, and that was after holding out for part of the season. You really think Tanev will command a min of 2 mil?
I do. i think teams will target the canucks and their cap crunch. i know i would.

i'm not saying he's worth 2 million, but some other gm will definitely try and screw over mg.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:23 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

i predict minimum 2 mil
What makes you think this, I've opened this debate with people on this site many times. What exactly has Chris Tanev done to warrant more money.

10 points in 102 NHL games (Regular season and playoffs). Generally for teams to want to offersheet, there needs to be some semblance of production.

It's not there with Tanev.

We know Subban didn't sign one, and we know that he is a much better player at this point than Tanev.

Are teams really going to overpay for a guy who really hasn't established himself as a player who can handle big minutes against good competition.

I definitely don't see it as being realistic.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
it's not
Well, if we don't sign Jagr, and we decide to fill our hole in the top-6 with youth, how do we become a better team? Does anyone really think we'd be better off trying Jensen or Sweatt or whoever in the top-6 instead of Jagr on a 1-year deal?

Old
05-16-2013, 10:26 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Why is Tanev going to make so much? Think of what Alzner got, they're very similar players. I don't think offer sheets will be an issue.
He isn't, especially when you factor in draft spot (comes into account for contracts), production, and minutes.

Alzner plays tough minutes, Tanev doesn't at this point.

If I had a choice for one of those guys at this point, it's Alzner, and I'm a big Tanev fan. I just think some of you guys get these little ideas in your head and run with them a little too far.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:27 AM
stickside

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What makes you think this, I've opened this debate with people on this site many times. What exactly has Chris Tanev done to warrant more money.

10 points in 102 NHL games (Regular season and playoffs). Generally for teams to want to offersheet, there needs to be some semblance of production.

It's not there with Tanev.

We know Subban didn't sign one, and we know that he is a much better player at this point than Tanev.

Are teams really going to overpay for a guy who really hasn't established himself as a player who can handle big minutes against good competition.

I definitely don't see it as being realistic.
it's just instinct i have about the kind of player he is now and his upside potential. the kid is a gem. i don't factor in his point production at all. i could care less if he has zero points, his hockey sense is off the charts.

i totally agree with this article

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...209/story.html

Old
05-16-2013, 10:29 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Well, if we don't sign Jagr, and we decide to fill our hole in the top-6 with youth, how do we become a better team? Does anyone really think we'd be better off trying Jensen or Sweatt or whoever in the top-6 instead of Jagr on a 1-year deal?
Have you seen Jagr lately?

Slow as molasses.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Have you seen Jagr lately?

Slow as molasses.
He's still a puck-possession beast and a great playmaker.

If all we want is speed we may as well re-sign Raymond.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
it's just instinct i have about the kind of player he is now and his upside potential. the kid is a gem. i don't factor in his point production at all. i could care less if he has zero points, his hockey sense is off the charts.

i totally agree with this article

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...209/story.html
PK Subban didn't sign any offersheets and he has much more hype around the league. He was also coming off an excellent season playing top line minutes against other top lines. In the end he signed a 2.875m contract and this year is a Norris finalist. Somehow no team thought to offer more than 2.875m.

Tanev has zero hype, is coming off a season where he faced 5th toughest competition on the team's D, produces no offense and can't play on the PP. What exactly will make him such a hot target for offer sheets?

Old
05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
He's still a puck-possession beast and a great playmaker.

If all we want is speed we may as well re-sign Raymond.
Serious question, have you watched him this playoffs?

He's slow and he's giving the puck away a ton.

I'm not giving Jagr 4.5+ million for what I've seen this year.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Serious question, have you watched him this playoffs?

He's slow and he's giving the puck away a ton.

I'm not giving Jagr 4.5+ million for what I've seen this year.
I have been watching him this playoffs, and he's been one of Boston's best players. He's just been stuck on the third line so hasn't hit the score sheet as much. Although in Game 7 Julien finally moved him up to the 2nd line and he made a great feed that led to the game-tying goal.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:40 AM
stickside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
PK Subban didn't sign any offersheets and he has much more hype around the league. He was also coming off an excellent season playing top line minutes against other top lines. In the end he signed a 2.875m contract and this year is a Norris finalist. Somehow no team thought to offer more than 2.875m.

Tanev has zero hype, is coming off a season where he faced 5th toughest competition on the team's D, produces no offense and can't play on the PP. What exactly will make him such a hot target for offer sheets?
why do some people always focus on the offensive side of things when evaluating defensive minded defensemen?

the canucks have no cap room. tanev is a steady, solid, reliable d-man that has tremendous upside. it's just my opinion that gillis needs to sign him now or else he'll be targeted, especially since the compensation for his anticipated salary bracket is a second rounder only.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
it's not
Which young team is on it's way to win the Cup this year? I think the only "young" team left is OTT.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
why do some people always focus on the offensive side of things when evaluating defensive minded defensemen?

the canucks have no cap room. tanev is a steady, solid, reliable d-man that has tremendous upside. it's just my opinion that gillis needs to sign him now or else he'll be targeted, especially since the compensation for his anticipated salary bracket is a second rounder only.
You can't have tremendous upside if your a zero offense defensive dman.

He's a good player, could play a top 4 shutdown role for a long time, but isn't there.

To be honest, where Tanev projects and his anticipated salary bracket should be the compensation is nothing.

He should not be getting over $1.6m period, he's unlikely to crack $1.3m IMO.

3 years 3.6m, ending with one RFA year left.

Closed Thread