HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Ilya Bryzgalov's comments cost him his job?

Old
05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquizitor View Post
Bryz just played his worst game ever and allowed 8 goals from team USA in the quarter finals. No idea why the russian coach was blind enough to let him play
oh well
Sounds like he didn't play his best but according to Meltzer he let in 4 (not all 8) and was summarily pulled

Quote:
As of this writing, the 3rd period of the IIHF World Championship quarterfinal game between USA and Russia is ongoing. The Americans lead, 4-1. Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov had one of those games where he wasn't giving up "soft" goals per se, but looked bad on a couple of momentum save chances were a save was possible if he played it a little better. Bryzgalov was pulled after the fourth US goal and replaced by Colorado's Semyon Varlamov.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:18 AM
BringBackStevens

Its a sign that your beat writers don't know anything about the sport when most of the articles are off the ice fluff

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:23 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid Stupid stupid stupid
wait, let me get this straight.....

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Brozgalov

Wait so this is actually a story?

I am no historian, but I did take a course on WW II in college. I believe what he was saying is that without Stalin they would have stayed in depression / etc until someone else did what Stalin did. If you learn about the start of WW I and WW II, people latched onto Hitler for a reason. They were paying for a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrel full of money (inflation) and things were pretty ****ed up. You bring in a guy who brings back stability and you start to look past other things you might not agree with.

I don't know much about Stalin and the history of Russia, but these types of leaders would have existed with different names if they hadn't taken power. They are able to rebuild the country with an "iron fist" or what have you. You may not agree with it, but it builds stability and I think that's what he is saying....

EDIT: Oliver Stone Said the following and got attacked....

Discussing his Showtime series "Oliver Stone's Secret History Of America" on Jan. 9, 2010, Stone said, among other things: "Hitler is an easy scapegoat throughout history and it's been used cheaply. We can't judge people as only 'bad' or 'good'. (Hitler) is the product of a series of actions. It's cause and effect. People in America don't know the connection between WWI and WWII. ... I've been able to walk in Stalin's shoes and Hitler's shoes, to understand their point of view. You cannot approach history unless you have empathy for the person you may hate." Carlo Allegri/The Associated Press
Photo: R-Allegri

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ph...#ixzz2TT1AJ5qE

Last edited by Brozgalov: 05-16-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Look, Im not trying to get into a political tuffle, though it's interesting you should say that, considering I have taken a graduate economics class...

My opinions on capitalism aren't so much conceived based upon any percieved detriment it has domestically or economically (though issues lay there too) or even capitalism as a whole, but rather the anti-human effects that it has on a lot of the people growing crops and manufacturing goods in lesser developed countries that can't afford to feed their families or the luxury of a flushing toilet because that wouldn't allow a big enough profit margin. People's lives are only worth a specific price at an inflated cost, and that's all i'll say on the subject.

But yeah, Stalin was a jackass. Pretty interesting guy though. I think Bryz is essentially just saying he'd like to know how the guy thought and what made him into the person he was... Surprisingly, the biography of his that I read was incredibly boring and pretty difficult to finish.
I think you are trying to critique neo-liberal Globalization and finance capitalism. There is lots wrong with the current crony type capitalism we're experiencing dominated by a bunch of oligarchic "economic royalists." We saw some of the ramifications in 2008 and still seeing it with all the austerity being imposed mainly in Europe but it's starting to hit here with the sequestration and all the budget problems at the national, state and local levels but particularly the latter two since they can't engage in QE and print money to deal with their budget deficits. Anyway, don't want to get all into it..just that I'm interested in this stuff. We're kind of in a transformative stage of capitalism which in and of itself is not bad..just the current form is not sustainable as we will see in the coming years when we have another big correction once the Fed Reserve ends their QE.....

As far as the whole Stalin debate....yeah I think from Bryz's standpoint it stems from a certain kind of nationalism that rears itself when there are economic problems. I mean Hitler was Time Magazine's man of the year for all the economic improvements he made in Germany during the 30's after the Depression. Mussolini was equally lauded. Then of course the two went off their rockers and started invading people...now invasions are done economically (The troika in the EU dominated by Germany is an example) rather than with boots on the ground..no less damaging of course and more cynical....

Old
05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post

I am no historian, but I did take a course on WW II in college. I believe what he was saying is that without Stalin they would have stayed in depression / etc until someone else did what Stalin did. If you learn about the start of WW I and WW II, people latched onto Hitler for a reason. They were paying for a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrel full of money (inflation) and things were pretty ****ed up. You bring in a guy who brings back stability and you start to look past other things you might not agree with.

I don't know much about Stalin and the history of Russia, but these types of leaders would have existed with different names if they hadn't taken power. They are able to rebuild the country with an "iron fist" or what have you. You may not agree with it, but it builds stability and I think that's what he is saying....
With Bryz a lot is lost in translation but yeah you are getting at what my point is as well. I mean Saddam Hussein supposedly wrote a letter to the U.S. and said if you knock me off ..good luck. I'm the only thing holding this country carved out of a colonial legacy up. In a lot of ways he was right that is why in the first Gulf War they didn't go in and topple him and allowed him to put down the shiite and kurdish rebellions. They contained him via years of a no-fly zone..then in 2003 we kicked the hornets nest and Iraq is still all banged up and Maliki is basically another Saddam ruling with an "iron fist" but it is less newsworthy..especially with the Syria mess another miscalc if Assad is overthrown....you will have a vacuum with a bunch of even worse heart eating terrorists ready to fill the void.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post

EDIT: Oliver Stone Said the following and got attacked....

Discussing his Showtime series "Oliver Stone's Secret History Of America" on Jan. 9, 2010, Stone said, among other things: "Hitler is an easy scapegoat throughout history and it's been used cheaply. We can't judge people as only 'bad' or 'good'. (Hitler) is the product of a series of actions. It's cause and effect. People in America don't know the connection between WWI and WWII. ... I've been able to walk in Stalin's shoes and Hitler's shoes, to understand their point of view. You cannot approach history unless you have empathy for the person you may hate." Carlo Allegri/The Associated Press
Photo: R-Allegri

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ph...#ixzz2TT1AJ5qE
Well, I did study Russian history. When the Bolsheviks took power from the Tsar, Russia was a backward, defenceless rural power.

Lenin and Trotsky, and later Stalin, were all about nationalizing the land to liberate people from being peasant-slaves and industrializing the country to catch up to the rest of Europe.

As brutal as Stalin was, when he took over, he industrialized the country in a very few short years - explicitly out of fear of being overrun by the Germans.

You can look it up in the Soviet Congress documents as early as 1929. He accurately predicted that the brutal WWI reparations forced on it were going to turn Germany into an aggressor state again. He even predicted that within 10 years Germany would be sending armies east to get the Ukrainian grainfields. He was spot on.

It's true that he was unforgiveably brutal to many of his own people, but the steel mills and factories he willed into existence saved the rest the country, and the rest of Europe, from German domination.

If he had not created industrial-military capacity capable of resisting the Germans as well as they did, within in a generation, Hitler would have made it through the Soviet Union as easily as he did through Poland, i.e. a walk in the park. The Polish horses and bayonnets left over from WWI were just speed bumps that didn't even delay the Nazi tanks, planes and artillery as they dashed across the place.

Stalin then proceeded to lead the Soviet Union as they carried the war effort vs. the Nazis for a couple years, losing millions of soldiers and civilians in the process while the Brits dawdled and the Yanks stayed neutral so they could cash in by selling oil and Ford engines to both sides.

Bryzgalov is a very intelligent man. I'm quite confident he has forgotton more about history than that idiot intern reporter will ever know.

There were no angels fighting on any side of that war, 60+ years of propaganda notwithstanding. Stone was right.

It wasn't like the West doesn't have its share of shame for looking the other way during the Holocaust or dropping nukes on unsuspecting civilians.

There may be many reasons for buying Bryz out, but his intellectual curiosity about the greatest leader in history of his motherland is not one of them.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
It wasn't like the West doesn't have its share of shame for looking the other way during the Holocaust or dropping nukes on unsuspecting civilians.

There may be many reasons for buying Bryz out, but his intellectual curiosity about the greatest leader in history of his motherland is not one of them.
And the Total War with incendiary bombs...Dresden and the like.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Pyotr I

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Pyotr I
Point well taken, and Catherine will get some votes too!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:46 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

This thread is another log on the fire that is my growing disgust for the Flyers org. . I'll always be a fan, but my frustration is at an all time high. I can't believe I have to read collegiate dissertations spawned from the opinions of the teams nutcase goalie rather than watch the team in the playoffs; this is all magnified by the success of recently traded players and hated rivals winning.

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
This thread is another log on the fire that is my growing disgust for the Flyers org. . I'll always be a fan, but my frustration is at an all time high. I can't believe I have to read collegiate dissertations spawned from the opinions of the teams nutcase goalie rather than watch the team in the playoffs; this is all magnified by the success of recently traded players and hated rivals winning.

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe that is Bryz's intent....to get the focus off of him and onto polarizing topics of higher learning. Guy is a genius after all....

Old
05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Maybe that is Bryz's intent....to get the focus off of him and onto polarizing topics of higher learning. Guy is a genius after all....
I'd like to see Bryz walk into the sea and walk underwater the whole way back to Russia. I'd love for him to enter US waters at Ocean City NJ in late August so that I can wish him well.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

According to @TheGoalieGuild

"Oh my lord, these goals on Bryzgalov were terrible. Guy is an unmitigated disaster."

That's good for our "franchise goalie"

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I'd like to see Bryz walk into the sea and walk underwater the whole way back to Russia. I'd love for him to enter US waters at Ocean City NJ in late August so that I can wish him well.
Considering he likes wearing space suits...he would probably feel comfortable in this antique diving suit on his way back..

Old
05-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Considering he likes wearing space suits...he would probably feel comfortable in this antique diving suit on his way back..

well he does love history..

and that suit has it in spades..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:38 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Point well taken, and Catherine will get some votes too!
Heh. Sorry. That was unnecessary, annoying, nitpicking on my part.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Somebody give it to me straight: Is Bryzgalov crapping the bed against the lesser talent competing in the WC?

05-16-2013, 12:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I live here and believe me he isn't wrong. I don't get why he has to sugarcoat his opinion when it is true about some areas of the city.
My point is, why even go there? Anyone with a brain would avoid an inflammatory comment like that but it's like he can't shut his mouth.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
My point is, why even go there? Anyone with a brain would avoid an inflammatory comment like that but it's like he can't shut his mouth.
I guess you're right for the sake of his image, but I don't mind someone giving their opinion.

05-16-2013, 12:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Somebody give it to me straight: Is Bryzgalov crapping the bed against the lesser talent competing in the WC?
I didn't watch the game but the US steamrolled Russia apparently according to tweets from reporters on twitter. Even Varly was roughed up.

Here's the highlights:

I would only really blame him on the second goal. That was incredibly soft.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-16-2013 at 12:56 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:55 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

must be a ton of defensive breakdowns going on.
or deflections
or perfect shots

ect ect

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Bryz had a shutout, a 1 goal game, a 3 goal game and that disaster. I thought he was doing fairly well. Sv% around .930 before the US game? I could be wrong.

JDinkalage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Backbreaking goal? Disaster out of the blue? Sounds normal. The guy rarely manages to play more than 2-3 good games in a row before crashing and burning for a bit.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Backbreaking goal? Disaster out of the blue? Sounds normal. The guy rarely manages to play more than 2-3 good games in a row before crashing and burning for a bit.
Bryz's trends are not the Flyers friend...

Snider bought himself a pets.com stock.....