Claude Julien

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
When they're positive comments, they're 100% accurate.

When they're negative comments, they're open to interpretation.
Maybe for some people.

I try to not really pay attention to comments like these.

Is this positive comment or negative?

Old
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Ya, they're down right frightening. Just like when he said Dave Lewis' job was safe...

I think some people might be taking comments to the media a little too serious.

He probably said it to stop getting asked about CJ being fired after every loss, like the media seems to do lately.
I think this is spot on.

It seems to me that PC realizes he's got a few guys on this team who have consistency, urgency, effort, whatever you want to call it-type issues. At the end of the regular season he had a radio interview where he basically said he might have to move some key players if they don't get things together, wondering aloud whether the long-term deals he gave out led to any complacency. He likely feels he's better off endorsing the coach to send a message to some players to get in line or you might be going elsewhere.

All that said, it's just a ploy. If he needs to change coaches he will, like any GM. This is the strongest support he can give publicly, but ultimately he can't be held to it.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony View Post
Personally, I dont think Segs has the type of preternatural vision, creativity, instincts, or adaptability that combined to make Savard such a force. And unless the Bs plan on moving him to center full-time, hes going to have to continue to do more corner/board work than was required of Savard.

I know his hockey sense was touted by scouts, but it's year 3 and he hasn't exactly added a lot of nuance to his offensive repertoire. That's troubling to me. He strikes me as a tweener kind of player: too skilled to be shackled to a rigid system, but not quite skilled enough to carry the offense, or have it run completely through him. Simply put, I think he needs to be surrounded with more speed and skill to thrive like we all hope he will. Now, whether Chiarelli and Co. feel the same way, or, if theyre willing to stray from their blue-print to accommodate the skills of one player, I have no idea.

I'm not ready to run the kid out of town, but Im not quite sure he fits in here with the team being constructed along its current lines . . .
Yep, year 3. You know how long it took Marc Savard to put up more points than Seguin did in year 2 in a single season? 9 ... not until his 9th season did he have more points than the 67 Tyler Seguin put up in his second season.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:56 PM
PlayMakers

“I feel strongly about our coach, and his job is safe,” Chiarelli said of Julien, acknowledging that he had heard heard rumors that both he and the coach would be fired if the Bruins lost Game 7 against the Maple Leafs, but saying, “As long as I’m here, his job is safe.”

This quote from Chiarelli is great and not at all unexpected. I suspected as much months ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
IMO, there's no scenario that sees Julien get fired. As long as Chiarelli's got a job here, Julien's got a job here.

05-15-2013, 04:58 PM
chrisab123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
Pretty dumb thing for Chia too say, maybe it's about time Neely cans his as and shows him who is really the boss.
Sure...lets blow it all up! Trade everyone for draft picks and rebuild like Edmonton so we appease half of the posters of HFBoards. Funny how half the people were miserable when the Bruins were down 4-1 and now half the people are miserable that the Bruins actually won.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:58 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
I feel strongly about our coach, and his job is safe, Chiarelli said of Julien, acknowledging that he had heard heard rumors that both he and the coach would be fired if the Bruins lost Game 7 against the Maple Leafs, but saying, As long as Im here, his job is safe.

This quote from Chiarelli is great and not at all unexpected. I suspected as much months ago...
I think its refreshing to see a GM not use his coach as a meat shield.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:03 PM
PlayMakers

Quote:

And sometimes they comments are spot on. Only Mike Babcock has won more playoff games than Claude Julien. Chiarelli's a big picture, long-term thinker and Julien's record speaks for itself.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:03 PM
SPLBRUIN

Chiarelli can say whatever he wants but if the Bruins go on an extended losing streak next year and look absymal all bets are off.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I don't think Boucher is a bad coach at all. I'm not crazy about his system of playing 4 guys behind the red line at even strength, but I do think he's a very good coach. I think he'll be hired quickly and do a good job where he goes. What I don't get is why anyone thinks he'd be better than Julien.

Juilien also was a record setting coach in Jr's and won the Memorial Cup.
Julien also was named Coach of the Year in the AHL and got his team to the finals there.
Julien (unlike Boucher) has won Coach of the Year in the NHL and won a Stanley Cup.

And I noticed in your little recap of Julien's history that you left out how he got the '08 team into the playoffs with no Bergeron and Glen Metropolit as his #2 center, then took the #1 seeded Canadiens to the brink. Or how in 2010, the B's went into the playoffs as the 7 seed with a semi-retired winger as their #1 RW and upset the #2 seed in 6 games. Julien's gotten bad teams into the playoffs, he's gotten good teams into the second round and he got one special group a Cup.

Not to mention...
The players here respect Julien.
The GM here works well with Julien and vice versa.
Julien's done a tremendous job developing young players and getting them into the lineup.

Like I said, I like Boucher, maybe he'll be as good as Julien one day, but there's no evidence to suggest he's better right now, or that he'd be a better fit for this management team or group of players.
See Bill... This is one of the things that I don't understand. People talk about early exits in the playoffs as though they were damning evidence of Julien's time here. Even used how weak the Eastern Conference as been as a reason why the success we've seen our Bruins enjoy is less valid or impressive.

All of that assumes that the Bruins were the Team to Beat in each and every one of those seasons. Or even a contender! It can be argued that in two of his first three years, the Bruins were lucky to even be in the post-season... Let alone see success in it. The B's were hardly anyone's favorite to win in 2011 (myself excluded) as most thought we had no chance against Philly OR Vancouver.

Show me a powerhouse Bruins roster that wins DESPITE Claude Julien, and I'll show you a good Bruins roster that's seen success BECAUSE of Claude Julien.

Doesn't mean I agree with him 100% of the time. I sure as hell DON'T and am frequently baffled and at times frustrated with the decisions CJ makes. But the rhetoric on these boards was teetering on absurd after the B's failed to close out the Leafs in Game 6.

Scotty Bowman? He's OLD, but he may be the only person I would go to if I were to look for a coach that I could say with some real confidence would produce better results than Julien at this point.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:10 PM
patty59

Quote:
I feel strongly about our coach, and his job is safe, Chiarelli said of Julien, acknowledging that he had heard heard rumors that both he and the coach would be fired if the Bruins lost Game 7 against the Maple Leafs, but saying, As long as Im here, his job is safe.

I doubt he would have been fired if they lost that game. But I would have to guess that if Chiarelli was told "him or both of you", CJ would be gone in a heartbeat.

There's no way that Chiarelli would want to fire CJ, but never say never. It could always happen and everyone including Chiarelli and Julien know this. But there is just no reason to even talk about it to the media at this point.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

Depending on who you talk to, you may get different interpretations of "positive" and "negative" in respect to this topic.

I think Chiarelli has (perhaps loosely) tied his fate as a GM to Julien's success as his coach. I believe they have a compatible vision and work well together.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:23 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Depending on who you talk to, you may get different interpretations of "positive" and "negative" in respect to this topic.

I think Chiarelli has (perhaps loosely) tied his fate as a GM to Julien's success as his coach. I believe they have a compatible vision and work well together.
Push comes to shove and Chiarelli would fire him. No doubt in my mind. Sutter fired his brother, Burke fired his BFF(Wilson) after similar comments. GM's say these things all the time and usually turn out to be false.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:33 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I bet Clod dreams of rolling 5 lines
If there was a way, he would do it!

I like these lines.

05-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Push comes to shove and Chiarelli would fire him. No doubt in my mind. Sutter fired his brother, Burke fired his BFF(Wilson) after similar comments. GM's say these things all the time and usually turn out to be false.
Of course he would.

I just think that when it gets to that point, they're both on the same page right? So when it gets to that point where push DOES come to shove, it means a mandatory change in direction for the team and LIKELY if they both weren't gone at the same time, Chiarelli wouldn't be far behind his coach.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisab123 View Post
Sure...lets blow it all up! Trade everyone for draft picks and rebuild like Edmonton so we appease half of the posters of HFBoards. Funny how half the people were miserable when the Bruins were down 4-1 and now half the people are miserable that the Bruins actually won.
I never advocated trading anyone. Looked at my posts. I only said had we lost, Claude Julien should have been fired.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

Easy to make those comments when you win....however if they collapse and get trounced in this round, Cam might be looking to make changes. Last time I checked he has slightly more pull in the Organization than Chia does.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Turk 16

Interesting comments by Adam Oates after the Caps' PO exit that is probaby relevant to this conversation.

Oates Uses Boston Example to Inspire

I've been plenty critical of Clode, but the fact is in a league where the talent difference between the teams isn't all that great, year to year consistency may be the best formula for winning. There are no true powerhouse clubs anymore, and winning it all may come down to being in a position to capitalize on that lucky bounce at the critical moment. But to get in that position requires a consistent, methodical approach and taking the long view towards building a contender.

That's my read on it, anyway. I still think Clode could be more improvisational at times, though. But now that we're in the second round I'm going to stop criticizing him for the rest of the year.

GO BRUINS!!!

Old
05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
EastCoastNiner

Quote:
See Bill... This is one of the things that I don't understand. People talk about early exits in the playoffs as though they were damning evidence of Julien's time here. Even used how weak the Eastern Conference as been as a reason why the success we've seen our Bruins enjoy is less valid or impressive.

All of that assumes that the Bruins were the Team to Beat in each and every one of those seasons. Or even a contender! It can be argued that in two of his first three years, the Bruins were lucky to even be in the post-season... Let alone see success in it. The B's were hardly anyone's favorite to win in 2011 (myself excluded) as most thought we had no chance against Philly OR Vancouver.

Show me a powerhouse Bruins roster that wins DESPITE Claude Julien, and I'll show you a good Bruins roster that's seen success BECAUSE of Claude Julien.
Bingo, bingo, bingo!

In today's NHL, it's tough to have an absolutel powerhouse team year in and year out. If people are thinking the Bruins are head and shoulders above every team in the NHL and should not lose a single game, fine, but you're out to lunch.

If people think this is without a doubt a top five team in the NHL with the abilitly to be the best team when they're on their game, I would completely agree. Too many people think this team has a bunch of HOF players and are absolutely invinsible, which isn't the case. They're one of the best teams in the NHL, and can easily play like THE best team, but there's parity.

It's much more refreshing to post in here about Julien and read both the pro and anti-Julien comments in here where there are more thought out posts than the knee jerk posts everywhere else.

Oh, and for those that think Boucher is a good coach, I have no clue what you see in him. He's as stubborn as they come, and his system has been completely and utterly exposed. For a coach that plays a defensive system like he does to keep the puck out of the net, and has the offensive firepower that he has, there is no excuse for that team to not be in playoff contention, goaltending issues or not.

In Claude I Trust.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Danton Heineken
Hot Carl Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk 16 View Post
Interesting comments by Adam Oates after the Caps' PO exit that is probaby relevant to this conversation.

[URL=" Uses Boston Example to Inspire[/B][/URL]

I've been plenty critical of Clode, but the fact is in a league where the talent difference between the teams isn't all that great, year to year consistency may be the best formula for winning. There are no true powerhouse clubs anymore, and winning it all may come down to being in a position to capitalize on that lucky bounce at the critical moment. But to get in that position requires a consistent, methodical approach and taking the long view towards building a contender.

That's my read on it, anyway. I still think Clode could be more improvisational at times, though. But now that we're in the second round I'm going to stop criticizing him for the rest of the year.

[B][I][SIZE="4"]GO BRUINS!!![/SIZE][/I][/B]
It was 1 year later, not 2.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:04 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupBoysDad View Post
Easy to make those comments when you win....however if they collapse and get trounced in this round, Cam might be looking to make changes. Last time I checked he has slightly more pull in the Organization than Chia does.
Cam had mentioned their goal is not simply to make the playoffs, they aim for championships. If that really is how upper management feels. You have to think if this run ends here, Clode's performance would be a point of discussion.

I don't think he'd be let go, but I do believe the leash would get significantly shorter and anything short of a conference final next year would cost him his job.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:04 PM
JuicyJ*

goodness goodness goodness. i loathe the opening day we no longer have Julien behind the bench. imagine the complaining if we actually had to deal with incompetent coaching?

instead, we've got one of the best in the league.

And still complaining.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyJ View Post
goodness goodness goodness. i loathe the opening day we no longer have Julien behind the bench. imagine the complaining if we actually had to deal with incompetent coaching?

instead, we've got one of the best in the league.

And still complaining.
He's one of the best coaches this franchise has ever had. It's as simple as that.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
missingchicklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk 16 View Post

Oates Uses Boston Example to Inspire

GO BRUINS!!!
Fair comments. The part about the parity in the NHL is why I think Claude needs to stay. He has the B's in a position every year to win the Cup if the bounces go their way and they are healthy. We saw that during our Cup year. We saw that against Tor in game 7. We see that with a lot of other teams as well every year in the layoffs. All I want is a stable coach who gives us a winning team year in and year out, and has that team in a reasonable position to go somewhere in the playoffs. Just bringing in a new coach because some things Claude does are annoying is risky business and probably not wise long-term. I don't think CJ gets enough credit around here for being one of the best in the business.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

What? 1000+ posts and Julien is still not fired?

Old
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
I think its refreshing to see a GM not use his coach as a meat shield.
Agreed. The GM's who subscribe to the 'coaches are hired to be fired' cliche usually don't last very long themselves.

Quote:

Doesn't mean I agree with him 100% of the time. I sure as hell DON'T and am frequently baffled and at times frustrated with the decisions CJ makes. But the rhetoric on these boards was teetering on absurd after the B's failed to close out the Leafs in Game 6.

Scotty Bowman? He's OLD, but he may be the only person I would go to if I were to look for a coach that I could say with some real confidence would produce better results than Julien at this point.
Well said.

Closed Thread