HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nonis and Carlyle Press Conference Discussion.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Reimer looked like his regular self. His mental strength is absolutely incredible.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
The overriding sentiment from Nonis and re-signing players is if players want to play here and we value them, he will make a fair market contract offer and it is the player to decide if they want to return.

This goes for Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf, Fraser, Kadri, Orr, anyone....

So we we will make offers for players that are pieces for us, cut bait with deadweight ie. Liles and Grabo and see where the chips fall.

If a player is outrageous in their demands, they will be traded or cut loose.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:23 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
I'm confused about drafting at 21, don't we move up since SJ, DET, NYR, OTT made it through. Shouldn't we be drafting at 17?
No it counts the first 2 rounds. If we went through and lost to the Rangers, we'd be picking at the same spot.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The overriding sentiment from Nonis and re-signing players is if players want to play here and we value them, he will make a fair market contract offer and it is the player to decide if they want to return.

This goes for Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf, Fraser, Kadri, Orr, anyone....

So we we will make offers for players that are pieces for us, cut bait with deadweight ie. Liles and Grabo and see where the chips fall.

If a player is outrageous in their demands, they will be traded or cut loose.
That's the sens ei got from it. He will offer contracts that make sense. He's not going to overpay just to keep someone here.

Loosie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:24 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Yeah, but from some people's comments, it doesn't seem to be obvious to them.
My take is that Bozak isn't a top priority to resign, we will move on if he asks for too much. I like Bozak, but fact of matter apart from faceoffs there is nothing exceptional and he simply downt deserves north of 3 million a year. His stats are padded with Kessel, even there he lags way behind him. His defensive play is attentive, but he's undersized and not effective on the walls. His playmaking is okay, again having Phil is a real clouding factor. His hockey IQ is quite good, and he's okay on the PK. I'm not resigning Tyler because he can win some draws. Kadri is ready to move up, Grabo isn't get bought out and Colborne is moving from IF to WHEN.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
HeroNtF

I hope nonis makes smart moves, and dont hit the cap ceiling... Having space for next year will be key, sure other teams will have to make trades if they wanna stay under cap.

I hope we dont go hard on fa, and instead pick players we want from cap struck teams, and get them for cheap.

HeroNtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Bozak is going to cut his hair

Edit: Bozak said he would love to stay, enjoys playing with Kessel, and Kessel enjoys playing with him.
Hopefully his contract demands aren't outrageous, I would like to see him back.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

I'm always impressed whenever Nonis has a press conference to deal with the media and address the public.

He always handles himself professionally, answers questions asked honestly, articulately and comes across as a true professional.

He handled the difficult collapse issue with grace and faced the music accepting accountability and promising necessary changes of improvement as a result.

All this making Nonis easy to like as the voice of the franchise in how he conducts himself representing the voice of the Leafs.

05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'm always impressed whenever Nonis has a press conference to deal with the media and address the public.

He always handles himself professionally, answers questions asked honestly, articulately and comes across as a true professional.

He handled the difficult collapse issue with grace and faced the music accepting accountability and promising necessary changes of improvement as a result.

All this making Nonis easy to like as the voice of the franchise in how he conducts himself representing the voice of the Leafs.
A lot less "I" than the previous egomaniac running the show.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:37 PM
CrayonSandwich

Anywhere I can see the video now that the live stream is done?

CrayonSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:

A little better than Lowe and macravish eh.

I think leafs will be checking in on Weiss first and foremost. Ontario boy, much more offensively gifted then bozak, slight improvement on faceoffs.

Personally I'd like to see grabs moved, Replaced with Weiss. Weiss is an improving in every facet of grabos. Except maybe durability.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Can you imagine the abusive tone and confrontational responses and outbursts to the collapse questions had they been handled by another, other than Nonis today?.

Nonis almost turned obvious disappointment, into sympathy from the media by addressing the issue honestly. There was no ammunition provided today for any retaliatory\retribution future articles when reporting on this PC, as no reason was giving to antagonize the media by battling them publicly.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:47 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I love how Nonis never truly reveals his cards, just that he'll do whatever he can to improve the team, whether that means signing Bozak, or not, trading for a goalie etc.

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Duffman955

Nonis said he would like to capitalize on teams having cap troubles and use that as leverage for a trade.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:51 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 361
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
This is how I felt as well when watching him during the press conference .

He was very measured and forth coming . I didn't expect him to be too specific about player moves outside of making general comments but I do find it interesting how he keeps mentioning that no one is untouchable .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I love how Nonis never truly reveals his cards, just that he'll do whatever he can to improve the team, whether that means signing Bozak, or not, trading for a goalie etc.
That actually speaks to his Business IQ as he doesn't provide sound bites that can come back to bite him when he speaks generally, rather than specifically when answering questions asked as he answers them honestly.

He doesn't dodge nor avoid them, simply responds politely and as best he can without painting himself into a corner in the future for unfulfilled promises.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Interactif

Lost in the Nonis comments was he left it wide open to do anything, sign other UFA's, moves in trades, or stand pat. One thing is for sure for those posters that don't pay attention to the cap going down, is bad contracts may and will be moved off this team. We know 1 for sure, that will be on the bubble. A 5.5 bubble.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

Quote:
That actually speaks to his Business IQ as he doesn't provide sound bites that can come back to bite him when he speaks generally, rather than specifically when answering questions asked as he answers them honestly.

He doesn't dodge nor avoid them, simply responds politely and as best he can without painting himself into a corner in the future for unfulfilled promises.

Mess,

What are some things you think Leafs management will do this offseason?

I.E. Bozak, Grabo, cap space, defencemen, and goalie situation.

GoodNewfieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:

Indeed, I've got a lot of hope for what he can do with the team. He seems very level headed and patient.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
He's not going to tell the world Grabo is not worth 5.5 or he loves Bozak, he's a GM and he has to play it close to his chest. He wants assets for Grabo, and he wants to Bozak to be reasonable.

One comment he said prior to the playoffs that he let slip, he said they didn't think Bozak was miscast as a #1C or top #2 C when the interviewer asked him is Bozak miscast on this team.

The guy is doing his best GM hat right now, good for him, don't tip your hand.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Lost in the Nonis comments was he left it wide open to do anything, sign other UFA's, moves in trades, or stand pat. One thing is for sure for those posters that don't pay attention to the cap going down, is bad contracts may and will be moved off this team. We know 1 for sure, that will be on the bubble. A 5.5 bubble.
Actually Nonis commented specifically praising certain player(s) effort given in the playoffs, and we all know who that was referring to in part without naming names as Nonis didn't either.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
ecotone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayonSandwich View Post
it's on tsn http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/927900/clip/0

ecotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:05 PM
CrayonSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotone View Post
Thank you sir!

CrayonSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
hockeywiz542

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayonSandwich View Post
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/927900/clip/0

Quote:
Maple Leafs News Conference

Randy Carlyle and Dave Nonis discuss the Leafs' stunning collapse, the future and their offseason plans.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Indeed, I've got a lot of hope for what he can do with the team. He seems very level headed and patient.
Two things he said in particularly that struck home for me..

1) He is not in a position today to deal high draft picks nor prospects for older immediate help, but rather plan to continue his building up instead patiently.

2) Touching on "play the kids", as he specifically stated that he has to provide NHL roster room for prospects and Marlie development players, providing them opportunities to prove and advance as his team building method.

These all speak to patience and a focus on drafting and developing to fuel improvement as opposed to looking for quick fix solutions and shortcuts.

I'm 100% on board with this mentality, as he doesn't feel the need to spend to the cap upper limit just because he has money and space available, when cost effective internal options may present themselves that better serve long-term plans.