HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 World Championship [Landeskog wins Gold, USA settles for Bronze]

Old
05-16-2013, 07:49 AM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Stastny has been unbelievable this tournament.
I still strongly maintain that if the US wasn't putting the pucks in, nobody would be noticing or remember much about Stastny's play. Which is pretty much the way he's always been, and always will be.

He's not a flashy player, even in this tournament. People are now paying attention because he's making the scoresheet. Which he has always been capable of in the right situations.

TatteredTornNFrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:59 AM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
What's Staz doing out there? According to twitter he's magical.
He did not make one amazing or magical play that I can remember in today's game. Just a whole lot of good small plays. That's his game.

TatteredTornNFrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:

Varlamov, ugh. It's not just this game, he's been bad whenever he's played this tournament. I'm actually a bit worried. He was bad to end the season on both continents. Hopefully he sees a lot of rubber over the summer to get his confidence back.
If your referring to the Minnesota Wild game Varly played great in his last game. He was so good that everyone here was rather annoyed that he was going to ruin the tank.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredTornNFrayed View Post
He did not make one amazing or magical play that I can remember in today's game. Just a whole lot of good small plays. That's his game.
Then you are blind. He made huge steal which led for.beautiful.goal. It was 3 or 4 goal i think. Check highlights.

Putting up 4 points and being the best player.on ice.today. He deserves some praise, not this ********.

Last edited by Colorado Avalanche: 05-16-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 50
Hahaha I told you USA would go far

Stastny plays well in the bigger rink, I liked watching him.

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:55 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Stastny has been unbelievable this tournament. The Avs should trade for Craig Smith and David Moss just to keep that chemistry going. And bring back Sacco

But in truth Sacco has done a good job this tournament. He's taken a group of unheralded Americans to the semi-finals. I hope he catches on somewhere as an assistant or something.

Varlamov, ugh. It's not just this game, he's been bad whenever he's played this tournament. I'm actually a bit worried. He was bad to end the season on both continents. Hopefully he sees a lot of rubber over the summer to get his confidence back.
I said a week or two ago that Sacco would do much better than his roster should, and that is because his system works extremely well on bigger ice. There is way less forchecking pressue and the D can easily carry to the puck to the top of the faceoff circles, and then they have room to make a good outlet pass. The problem Sacco had on the small ice is that he couldn't adapt his system once teams figured out that if you put a lot of pressure on the defense they can't complete an outlet pass and the system falls apart (it doesn't help that a lot of his defense couldn't complete a 15' pass to save their lives).

As for Stastny, it is great to see him playing well when he is being relied upon. He needs to bring that back to the NHL next year and play as the 20g 50a player is is very capable of being (a big part of that is coaches using him correctly). If he comes back at that level, there is no reason to trade him and the Avs should try everything the can to keep him in an Avalanche uniform. Having 3 centers like Duchene, Stastny, and ROR would be a great thing going forward even if it costs 19-20m to keep them all.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I said a week or two ago that Sacco would do much better than his roster should, and that is because his system works extremely well on bigger ice. There is way less forchecking pressue and the D can easily carry to the puck to the top of the faceoff circles, and then they have room to make a good outlet pass. The problem Sacco had on the small ice is that he couldn't adapt his system once teams figured out that if you put a lot of pressure on the defense they can't complete an outlet pass and the system falls apart (it doesn't help that a lot of his defense couldn't complete a 15' pass to save their lives).

As for Stastny, it is great to see him playing well when he is being relied upon. He needs to bring that back to the NHL next year and play as the 20g 50a player is is very capable of being (a big part of that is coaches using him correctly). If he comes back at that level, there is no reason to trade him and the Avs should try everything the can to keep him in an Avalanche uniform. Having 3 centers like Duchene, Stastny, and ROR would be a great thing going forward even if it costs 19-20m to keep them all.
Funny part is, It's the same coach. How can Sacco fail so much in NHL, but succeed in tournament? lol I guess his "methods" fit better tournament style.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:09 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Funny part is, It's the same coach. How can Sacco fail so much in NHL, but succeed in tournament? lol I guess his "methods" fit better tournament style.
It may be the same coach, but he doesn't have the same team. Duchene and ROR are not there (or anybody close to their abilities) to take away minutes. Sacco is being forced to lean on Stastny like he did in 09-10.

I truly believe that Sacco failed in the NHL for 3 reasons. 1- Sacco couldn't adapt his system once teams figured out how to beat it. 2- Sacco wasn't given the right defensive personnel to run his system. 3- Sacco became too afraid of youth in his last 1.5 seasons and wouldn't play a player like Barrie unless he was forced to, even if he was obviously better because he feared the rookie mistakes. This caused him to lose the team IMO.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:16 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Sacco can only effectively coach 3rd-4th line scrubs.

Team USA is chock full of those types of players, Stastny is their ONLY established top-6 player besides Oshie who has arrived late.

GeoffL19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
Funny or sad old story?

Varlamov: We can win gold again

http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=3057

Eurolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
agentblack

vCash: 70
Stats makes a good no.1 or 2 guy I just dont think he's gonna do that here.
If I was STL id be calling.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:54 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurolanche View Post
Funny or sad old story?

Varlamov: We can win gold again

http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=3057
I like his confidence in that statement, but it really seems that the Russian squad just didn't play well in front of their goaltenders.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:57 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

So a Swiss/US semifinal, correct? I really like the US chances in that game.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Appleanche

Wow Varly sucked badly there... he showed a real flaw in his game I've noticed since his time here.. he really has a hard time keeping track of the puck, especially on deflections and point shots for some reason.

He let in a lot of fairly weak deflection shots this season, and it's a real flaw in his game..

One of the goals he was screened but still he was practically standing as it went in.. insane.

On the bright side Stastny continues to look great, maybe his trade value goes up, maybe he plays amazing next year for us.. I'm not sure. It's so odd to see him under the same coach, with probably lesser linemates do so much better. Another great stat, his FO% was around 76%...

Appleanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post
Wow Varly sucked badly there... he showed a real flaw in his game I've noticed since his time here.. he really has a hard time keeping track of the puck, especially on deflections and point shots for some reason.

He let in a lot of fairly weak deflection shots this season, and it's a real flaw in his game..

One of the goals he was screened but still he was practically standing as it went in.. insane.

On the bright side Stastny continues to look great, maybe his trade value goes up, maybe he plays amazing next year for us.. I'm not sure. It's so odd to see him under the same coach, with probably lesser linemates do so much better. Another great stat, his FO% was around 76%...
Maybe Stastny should hook Varly up with some lasik.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
Hahaha I told you USA would go far

Stastny plays well in the bigger rink, I liked watching him.
Agreed I think this is a big part of his success. I think he's had a tough time the last few years finding space for himself to make plays, and doesn't have a whole lot of tricks up his sleeve to be shifty, and generate that space for himself.

With the wider rink, it's much easier for him to set up plays with his great vision, and jump into holes to be open for passes and allow himself time to get good shots on net.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:24 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Agreed I think this is a big part of his success. I think he's had a tough time the last few years finding space for himself to make plays, and doesn't have a whole lot of tricks up his sleeve to be shifty, and generate that space for himself.

With the wider rink, it's much easier for him to set up plays with his great vision, and jump into holes to be open for passes and allow himself time to get good shots on net.
So what you are saying is that he needs better linemates to open up the ice for him.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
So what you are saying is that he needs better linemates to open up the ice for him.
I think that would help, but the bigger problem is him not being able to find that open ice for himself in the smaller rink. I think he's gotten a little too complacent in his approach to the game, and needs to change things up.

That's why the different style internationally helps him, and that he may not get back to form until he's on a new team. I think he needs to shake things up mentally for himself maybe, and I'm not sure a new coach on the Avs will do that enough for him. We'll see though.

After all, he's got the same coach now, that he's had the last few years.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

American hero Matt Hunwick leads the WC in +/- with +9, creating hockey fever back in his home country.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Paulie is a beast, that is all.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:15 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Great for Stastny and for Avs if he can get back on his PPG pace.

And if he is traded, he would hopefully bring a better return than he normally would after a tournament like this. If we are sacrificing one of our centers for a defenseman. It is Stastny.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:31 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Great for Stastny and for Avs if he can get back on his PPG pace.

And if he is traded, he would hopefully bring a better return than he normally would after a tournament like this. If we are sacrificing one of our centers for a defenseman. It is Stastny.
I just can't wholeheartedly agree with that. If Stastny comes in next year and over the first ~50 games has 45-48 points, I think you have to find a way to extend him. If he can return to 70 pt form he is still a younger, defensively responsible, 1b center. He has to return to form though, and that is still the big question. If he doesn't return to that form, it is best to trade him over everybody else.

For all of ROR's skills, I don't ever see him being a 70 point center on a consistent basis (before people rag on that, Stastny has shown that capability before with 3 out of his first 4 seasons being over 70 points), I'm not even sure if I see 60 points consistently. ROR will be better defensively. Also, ROR would bring a higher return because of his youth.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:36 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
For all of ROR's skills, I don't ever see him being a 70 point center on a consistent basis (before people rag on that, Stastny has shown that capability before with 3 out of his first 4 seasons being over 70 points), I'm not even sure if I see 60 points consistently. ROR will be better defensively. Also, ROR would bring a higher return because of his youth.
Why not? You're not actually offering any insight as to what limits Ryan O'Reilly from reaching that level... fyi back-to-back 55 point seasons(or projection for this year) and you don't think he can be a 60 point consistently? Selling him awfully short there.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Two 55+ points over two season doesn't prove anything though.

Jarret Stoll had a 68 points season once in the early stages of his career and he is someone who can be compared to ROR.

I think ROR will get better, but still. We have guarantees.

Last edited by RobinDIF: 05-16-2013 at 12:50 PM.
RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 2000
Good effort by our guys. We lost the first 3-0, tied it at 3 but ultimately lost 4-3.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote