S.I. Week 1 Power Rankings

Old
09-30-2006, 12:15 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

vCash: 500
S.I. Week 1 Power Rankings

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...gs1/index.html

B's are at 15, a little suprising to me is that Ottawa is # 1. I know it's just one guys opinion and it doesn't matter but figured some might be interested.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 12:22 AM
burstnbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy and Boyes View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...gs1/index.html

B's are at 15, a little suprising to me is that Ottawa is # 1. I know it's just one guys opinion and it doesn't matter but figured some might be interested.

Did you read all of these? In the Tampa blurb Tim Taylor talks about bringing a manditory visor rule to the NHLPA and that it would pass. Don Cherry would not be happy.

burstnbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Don't see it as surprising. People are writing us off but we're a better team overall this year imo. We have a good group of team players and our defense is arguably better than last year with us being maybe the most mobile in the league, and Meszaros ready to become a star.

Predators should've been first though.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 12:25 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Don't see it as surprising. People are writing us off but we're a better team overall this year imo. We have a good group of team players and our defense is arguably better than last year with us being maybe the most mobile in the league, and Meszaros ready to become a star.

Predators should've been first though.
I'm not saying I think Ottawas a bad team by any stretch I'm just a tad suprised he had them at number 1.. I absolutely love Meszaros, I've got him in almost all of my fantasy leagues. You guys will have another very strong season I don't doubt that for a second.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 12:33 AM
misterjaggers

I think Wraight is right: we should make the playoffs.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 05:50 AM
MaCam

"There are still some questions, such as goaltending, where Hannu Toivonen and Tim Thomas will be battling for the No. 1 spot. I'm still not sold on either being an everyday netminder at this level"

Alright this guy is an idiot enough said.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 06:26 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

I can understand the B's being 15th, that's not bad, especially considering where some other writers had the B's (12-14th in the East).

I also understand why there might be slight concern over the goaltending...but did any of theses writers watch either Thomas or Hannu hang in last year and keep us in games with a Swiss-Cheese D in front of them? And both have continued to look strong in preseason.

Not sure why Wraight says watch out for MIN and ATL, ad then ranks them BEHIND the B's? I like MIN's squad this year, but a lot of people seem pretty high on ATL, and I just don't get that??

Kovalchuk and Hossa are dynamic, but they lost Savard, and I think he may be a bit tougher to replace than people anticipate. IMO, some think that anybody could center those two and be successful, but...?

Savard is NOT in Oates' class, but do you think losing someone like that might effect the two wings no matter how talented they are?

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 06:33 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50
I think his assessment of the B's is pretty fair, at this point.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:50 AM
BadBruins

Nice to see Montreal (22) and Toronto (23) where they belong.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Sleemans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1927 View Post
"There are still some questions, such as goaltending, where Hannu Toivonen and Tim Thomas will be battling for the No. 1 spot. I'm still not sold on either being an everyday netminder at this level"

Alright this guy is an idiot enough said.
I think this is a fair statement.

As much as I like the tandem of Toivonen/Thomas, I still have concerns on how they'll perform this season.

Kevin this isn't directed at you personally, but I see a number of Bruins' fans upset at how others see our team for this year and don't understand it.

We were so bad last year, and until we prove otherwise over the course of an entire season people will still see us that way.

Sleemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleemans View Post
I think this is a fair statement.

As much as I like the tandem of Toivonen/Thomas, I still have concerns on how they'll perform this season.

Kevin this isn't directed at you personally, but I see a number of Bruins' fans upset at how others see our team for this year and don't understand it.

We were so bad last year, and until we prove otherwise over the course of an entire season people will still see us that way.
While I agree with you on the Bruins having to prove themselves, the guy does not help himself with comments asserting that even though the Sens lost Chara, Pothier and Havlat they are deeper and stronger because of Corvo and Priessing. Clearly that is simply wrong.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
While I agree with you on the Bruins having to prove themselves, the guy does not help himself with comments asserting that even though the Sens lost Chara, Pothier and Havlat they are deeper and stronger because of Corvo and Priessing. Clearly that is simply wrong.
They're deeper this year, no doubt. They have Schubert, Barinka, Allison and Hedlund now who are all capable of fulfilling a 5/6 role defensively. Corvo and Preissing are both a lot better than Pothier. You don't replace a guy like Chara, but with Phillips getting more ice time and Meszaros a year older, there'll be no trouble.

Havlat was a big loss i'll admit...but with Eaves a year older and Fisher ready to break out it's not that bad. We didn't have Havlat all year, and our team is still very young...so we may very well have improved. Stronger? We'll see...Deeper? Absolutely.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Bruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
...Deeper? Absolutely.
I guess i just don't see the so-called depth. I've never even heard of Schubert, Barinka, Allison or Hedlund - unless that Allison is Jamie Allison.

And one year of development for players like Eaves doesn't make THAT big of a deal. Few player shave such a high development curve. How can you say someone is ready to "break out?" That's a guess at best.

Bruzin is offline   Reply With Quote