HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nonis and Carlyle Press Conference Discussion.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Heisenberg Blue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'm 100% on board with this mentality, as he doesn't feel the need to spend to the cap upper limit just because he has money and space available, when cost effective internal options may present themselves.
Hey, it could be bad. Maybe Rogers+Bell are making this team a floor team, and they don't plan on spending money again ever! The ticket prices will be raised, because this is a for-profit business, and the fans are dumb and will flock anyways.

Heisenberg Blue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason12 View Post
Sure didnt sound like Carlyle thinks Reimer should be the starting goalie next year.
Hey, look at that? Someone else with a clue

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg Blue View Post
Hey, it could be bad. Maybe Rogers+Bell are making this team a floor team, and they don't plan on spending money again ever! The ticket prices will be raised, because this is a for-profit business, and the fans are dumb and will flock anyways.
Perhaps if Nonis is planning on exercising buyouts to remove previous mistakes from the roster costing MLSE money to do so, he plans on saving them on the other end, by not spending to the cap ceiling or going out and respending that money foolishly, but rather promoting cheaper young players internally already under contract as their replacements.

05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
The worst part about the press conference was when Nonis said (paraphrasing) "Randy stopped me from pulling the trigger on trades because he thought the players deserved to see through the year". The media asks him, "Reimer too?". Nonis says, "yup".

Dear god if our management saw Luongo as a piece to move forward with, they're crazy.
Ya cause a guy who has routinely been top 10 top 7 in every major category while providing a stabilizing and calming presence at the back isn't something you want. Oh also a vezina nominee, Stanley cup finalist just two summers ago and Olympic gold medalist, ya who needs that guy.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
tooncesmeow

Bozak wants 5M apparently.

Goodbye.

I still say Gomez is great at the 3C.

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Leafs Forever

Where does this "Bozak wants 5 Million" even come from, exactly? It's become such an accepted idea around here, but I have yet to see a source for it. And then you have to ask yourself how valid is the source at this point, and whether or not Bozak has changed his mind.

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
sommervr

nobody really gave anything away. I watched Bozak's interview. I get the feeling that he is moving on. There was a sort of a wistful looking-back quality on questions about his time in Toronto. This is his big payday and I don't blame him if he cashes out while he can. Bozak wont ever get a silver stick.

Fraser was there looking like Frankenstein. He wasn't asked and didn't give any details on his timeline for coming back. He looked in good spirits.

Phaneuf looked more at ease, more reflective and in the moment. I think the season is such a battle for him that he can't turn it off for interviews.

Management was saying the right things. I get the feeling that Nonis will make a move at the draft and might make the team as flexible as possible cap-wise in the meantime. Nonis would be a lousy poker player as he gave some tells when he was talking about cap-dumps and the draft and possibly moving up.

Nonis said some good things about Kessel and his play. I have to agree with him.

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
tooncesmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Where does this "Bozak wants 5 Million" even come from, exactly? It's become such an accepted idea around here, but I have yet to see a source for it. And then you have to ask yourself how valid is the source at this point, and whether or not Bozak has changed his mind.
Mirtle has said it multiple times. And since he is one of the most reputable Leaf reporters you have to expect it to be true. Reinforced by Nonis saying "we'll bring him back at the right price"

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
The breakdown is 5.33 for elite to upper echelon level goaltending for 5-6 years then the recapture is ~$2M/each to Toronto and Vancouver for the next 3 season (guessing he retires after 6) right now the leafs have $2m in buy outs with Armstrong and tucker, and another 9.25m in the minors.
Terrible cap management in the past is no reason to enter into a bad situation going into the future. The extent of Canuck fans wanting another team to take on Luongo's contract gives a hint into their real angst of having him on their team.

Parkdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:32 PM
SteveV*

Did we learn about injuries of players? What aile Bozak, was Phaneuf hurt, why can't O'Byrne skate?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:36 PM
caribouPINE

Check out my dog Puck from Monday night. He's still devastated.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
nobody really gave anything away. I watched Bozak's interview. I get the feeling that he is moving on. There was a sort of a wistful looking-back quality on questions about his time in Toronto. This is his big payday and I don't blame him if he cashes out while he can. Bozak wont ever get a silver stick.

Fraser was there looking like Frankenstein. He wasn't asked and didn't give any details on his timeline for coming back. He looked in good spirits.

Phaneuf looked more at ease, more reflective and in the moment. I think the season is such a battle for him that he can't turn it off for interviews.

Management was saying the right things. I get the feeling that Nonis will make a move at the draft and might make the team as flexible as possible cap-wise in the meantime. Nonis would be a lousy poker player as he gave some tells when he was talking about cap-dumps and the draft and possibly moving up.

Nonis said some good things about Kessel and his play. I have to agree with him.
With cap going down I really wonder if Bozak gets this pay day, nobody in hockey seems to think he's a legit top center, coupled with financial constraints this year, Tyler may find suitors lacking. This isn't a normal free agency year.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
With cap going down I really wonder if Bozak gets this pay day, nobody in hockey seems to think he's a legit top center, coupled with financial constraints this year, Tyler may find suitors lacking. This isn't a normal free agency year.
Nonis was very clever for mentioning the salary cap going down in his response, and players fitting into team concept, if they want to stay when asked about Bozak situation specifically today.

ie. Cap going down so player asking price going down accordingly. He was publicly negotiating with Bozak & agent through his response in his PC today in a very subtle manner.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:47 PM
cajuncue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Can you imagine the abusive tone and confrontational responses and outbursts to the collapse questions had they been handled by another, other than Nonis today?.

Nonis almost turned obvious disappointment, into sympathy from the media by addressing the issue honestly. There was no ammunition provided today for any retaliatory\retribution future articles when reporting on this PC, as no reason was giving to antagonize the media by battling them publicly.
yea because pleasing the media is a GM's number one job .to hell with the product on the ice. Like it or lump it this is Burke's team

cajuncue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Leafsfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

haha aww.
Cute dog

Leafsfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Leaf_Crazy

Man.... Nonis looks like hes gonna crack under the pressure.

I miss Burke. We need a guy who doesnt care what people think. Nonis is relatively still an un-proven GM. Only significant move he made in Vanc was trading for Luongo.

This off-season will be telling.

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncue View Post
yea because pleasing the media is a GM's number one job .to hell with the product on the ice.
Acting as a representative and voice of the organization by his actions, reflects on the organization as a whole.

Both Nonis & Carlyle represented MLSE and the Toronto Maple Leafs well today, particularly under trying and a difficult situation when it came to accounting for the playoff exit and season end.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncue View Post
yea because pleasing the media is a GM's number one job .to hell with the product on the ice. Like it or lump it this is Burke's team
Nonis wasn't trying to please the media , he was simply behaving like a professional . The product on the ice performed better than any Burke built team and if you didn't think it improved by dumping Steckel-Brown-Komi-Connoly and Lombardi then I have no idea what team you were watching .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post

I miss Burke. We need a guy who doesnt care what people think. Nonis is relatively still an un-proven GM. Only significant move he made in Vanc was trading for Luongo.

We need a guy who puts together a winning hockey team. I don't care if the guy cares what people think or not.

Doesn't seem to matter how proven they are either. Have seen GMs screw up in this market regardless of their experience level.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post

I'd say freaking out and constantly going to war every time you didn't agree with something said in the media kind of says he did care what people thought .

It's funny how the Burke supporters were willing to give the guy an unlimited time frame to build the team but Nonis gets only one off season .

The jury's still out on Nonis but I'd be shocked if he could turn us into a cup contender in one summer .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Smoky Thompson

Habs fan here... Making a move for luongo will be a huge mistake. Reimer was your best player in the playoffs. He's young and will have a promising career. You don't need an elite goaltender with a cap hit of 5m+ to go far in the playoffs. You guys gotta be more patient with your goaltenders... Tuuka is a top 10 goalie and got traded for raycroft :/ then you send a first (Eller) for Toskala? You finally have a solid starter. Keep him!

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:23 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Ya cause a guy who has routinely been top 10 top 7 in every major category while providing a stabilizing and calming presence at the back isn't something you want. Oh also a vezina nominee, Stanley cup finalist just two summers ago and Olympic gold medalist, ya who needs that guy.
Apparently not Vancouver even after back to back first round exits with a stellar 1-8 record.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
sommervr

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

Did you kick him every time the B's scored?

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Leaf_Crazy

I honestly dont see how people think Reimer is the answer here.

He played awesome. But I think thats the peak of his potential.
I love how hes good mentally.

But he lacks athletic ability.
His rebound control is terrible.
He cant catch ANYTHING.

I want Luongo. We need to jump on that for a cheap price.

Scrivens + 2nd would be a steal.

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Duffman955

Can someone post the major trades and UFA signings Nonis has made in his career?

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote