HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nonis and Carlyle Press Conference Discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 12:12 PM
  #101
Heisenberg Blue*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'm 100% on board with this mentality, as he doesn't feel the need to spend to the cap upper limit just because he has money and space available, when cost effective internal options may present themselves.
Hey, it could be bad. Maybe Rogers+Bell are making this team a floor team, and they don't plan on spending money again ever! The ticket prices will be raised, because this is a for-profit business, and the fans are dumb and will flock anyways.

Heisenberg Blue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
  #102
The Big D
Registered User
 
The Big D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason12 View Post
Sure didnt sound like Carlyle thinks Reimer should be the starting goalie next year.
Hey, look at that? Someone else with a clue

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
  #103
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg Blue View Post
Hey, it could be bad. Maybe Rogers+Bell are making this team a floor team, and they don't plan on spending money again ever! The ticket prices will be raised, because this is a for-profit business, and the fans are dumb and will flock anyways.
Perhaps if Nonis is planning on exercising buyouts to remove previous mistakes from the roster costing MLSE money to do so, he plans on saving them on the other end, by not spending to the cap ceiling or going out and respending that money foolishly, but rather promoting cheaper young players internally already under contract as their replacements.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
  #104
The Big D
Registered User
 
The Big D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
The worst part about the press conference was when Nonis said (paraphrasing) "Randy stopped me from pulling the trigger on trades because he thought the players deserved to see through the year". The media asks him, "Reimer too?". Nonis says, "yup".

Dear god if our management saw Luongo as a piece to move forward with, they're crazy.
Ya cause a guy who has routinely been top 10 top 7 in every major category while providing a stabilizing and calming presence at the back isn't something you want. Oh also a vezina nominee, Stanley cup finalist just two summers ago and Olympic gold medalist, ya who needs that guy.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
  #105
tooncesmeow
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Bozak wants 5M apparently.

Goodbye.

I still say Gomez is great at the 3C.

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
  #106
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Leafs Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
Where does this "Bozak wants 5 Million" even come from, exactly? It's become such an accepted idea around here, but I have yet to see a source for it. And then you have to ask yourself how valid is the source at this point, and whether or not Bozak has changed his mind.

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
  #107
sommervr
Registered User
 
sommervr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
nobody really gave anything away. I watched Bozak's interview. I get the feeling that he is moving on. There was a sort of a wistful looking-back quality on questions about his time in Toronto. This is his big payday and I don't blame him if he cashes out while he can. Bozak wont ever get a silver stick.

Fraser was there looking like Frankenstein. He wasn't asked and didn't give any details on his timeline for coming back. He looked in good spirits.

Phaneuf looked more at ease, more reflective and in the moment. I think the season is such a battle for him that he can't turn it off for interviews.

Management was saying the right things. I get the feeling that Nonis will make a move at the draft and might make the team as flexible as possible cap-wise in the meantime. Nonis would be a lousy poker player as he gave some tells when he was talking about cap-dumps and the draft and possibly moving up.

Nonis said some good things about Kessel and his play. I have to agree with him.

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
  #108
tooncesmeow
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Where does this "Bozak wants 5 Million" even come from, exactly? It's become such an accepted idea around here, but I have yet to see a source for it. And then you have to ask yourself how valid is the source at this point, and whether or not Bozak has changed his mind.
Mirtle has said it multiple times. And since he is one of the most reputable Leaf reporters you have to expect it to be true. Reinforced by Nonis saying "we'll bring him back at the right price"

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:10 PM
  #109
Parkdale
Registered User
 
Parkdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
The breakdown is 5.33 for elite to upper echelon level goaltending for 5-6 years then the recapture is ~$2M/each to Toronto and Vancouver for the next 3 season (guessing he retires after 6) right now the leafs have $2m in buy outs with Armstrong and tucker, and another 9.25m in the minors.
Terrible cap management in the past is no reason to enter into a bad situation going into the future. The extent of Canuck fans wanting another team to take on Luongo's contract gives a hint into their real angst of having him on their team.

Parkdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:32 PM
  #110
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Did we learn about injuries of players? What aile Bozak, was Phaneuf hurt, why can't O'Byrne skate?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:36 PM
  #111
caribouPINE
Registered User
 
caribouPINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 500
Check out my dog Puck from Monday night. He's still devastated.


caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
  #112
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
nobody really gave anything away. I watched Bozak's interview. I get the feeling that he is moving on. There was a sort of a wistful looking-back quality on questions about his time in Toronto. This is his big payday and I don't blame him if he cashes out while he can. Bozak wont ever get a silver stick.

Fraser was there looking like Frankenstein. He wasn't asked and didn't give any details on his timeline for coming back. He looked in good spirits.

Phaneuf looked more at ease, more reflective and in the moment. I think the season is such a battle for him that he can't turn it off for interviews.

Management was saying the right things. I get the feeling that Nonis will make a move at the draft and might make the team as flexible as possible cap-wise in the meantime. Nonis would be a lousy poker player as he gave some tells when he was talking about cap-dumps and the draft and possibly moving up.

Nonis said some good things about Kessel and his play. I have to agree with him.
With cap going down I really wonder if Bozak gets this pay day, nobody in hockey seems to think he's a legit top center, coupled with financial constraints this year, Tyler may find suitors lacking. This isn't a normal free agency year.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:42 PM
  #113
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
With cap going down I really wonder if Bozak gets this pay day, nobody in hockey seems to think he's a legit top center, coupled with financial constraints this year, Tyler may find suitors lacking. This isn't a normal free agency year.
Nonis was very clever for mentioning the salary cap going down in his response, and players fitting into team concept, if they want to stay when asked about Bozak situation specifically today.

ie. Cap going down so player asking price going down accordingly. He was publicly negotiating with Bozak & agent through his response in his PC today in a very subtle manner.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:47 PM
  #114
cajuncue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Can you imagine the abusive tone and confrontational responses and outbursts to the collapse questions had they been handled by another, other than Nonis today?.

Nonis almost turned obvious disappointment, into sympathy from the media by addressing the issue honestly. There was no ammunition provided today for any retaliatory\retribution future articles when reporting on this PC, as no reason was giving to antagonize the media by battling them publicly.
yea because pleasing the media is a GM's number one job .to hell with the product on the ice. Like it or lump it this is Burke's team

cajuncue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
  #115
Leafsfan83
Registered User
 
Leafsfan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Check out my dog Puck from Monday night. He's still devastated.

haha aww.
Cute dog

Leafsfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
  #116
Leaf_Crazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Man.... Nonis looks like hes gonna crack under the pressure.

I miss Burke. We need a guy who doesnt care what people think. Nonis is relatively still an un-proven GM. Only significant move he made in Vanc was trading for Luongo.

This off-season will be telling.

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
  #117
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncue View Post
yea because pleasing the media is a GM's number one job .to hell with the product on the ice.
Acting as a representative and voice of the organization by his actions, reflects on the organization as a whole.

Both Nonis & Carlyle represented MLSE and the Toronto Maple Leafs well today, particularly under trying and a difficult situation when it came to accounting for the playoff exit and season end.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
  #118
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncue View Post
yea because pleasing the media is a GM's number one job .to hell with the product on the ice. Like it or lump it this is Burke's team
Nonis wasn't trying to please the media , he was simply behaving like a professional . The product on the ice performed better than any Burke built team and if you didn't think it improved by dumping Steckel-Brown-Komi-Connoly and Lombardi then I have no idea what team you were watching .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
  #119
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,110
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post
Man.... Nonis looks like hes gonna crack under the pressure.

I miss Burke. We need a guy who doesnt care what people think. Nonis is relatively still an un-proven GM. Only significant move he made in Vanc was trading for Luongo.

This off-season will be telling.
We need a guy who puts together a winning hockey team. I don't care if the guy cares what people think or not.

Doesn't seem to matter how proven they are either. Have seen GMs screw up in this market regardless of their experience level.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
  #120
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post
Man.... Nonis looks like hes gonna crack under the pressure.

I miss Burke. We need a guy who doesnt care what people think. Nonis is relatively still an un-proven GM. Only significant move he made in Vanc was trading for Luongo.

This off-season will be telling.
I'd say freaking out and constantly going to war every time you didn't agree with something said in the media kind of says he did care what people thought .

It's funny how the Burke supporters were willing to give the guy an unlimited time frame to build the team but Nonis gets only one off season .

The jury's still out on Nonis but I'd be shocked if he could turn us into a cup contender in one summer .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
  #121
Smoky Thompson
Registered User
 
Smoky Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 514
Posts: 3,612
vCash: 500
Habs fan here... Making a move for luongo will be a huge mistake. Reimer was your best player in the playoffs. He's young and will have a promising career. You don't need an elite goaltender with a cap hit of 5m+ to go far in the playoffs. You guys gotta be more patient with your goaltenders... Tuuka is a top 10 goalie and got traded for raycroft :/ then you send a first (Eller) for Toskala? You finally have a solid starter. Keep him!

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:23 PM
  #122
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Ya cause a guy who has routinely been top 10 top 7 in every major category while providing a stabilizing and calming presence at the back isn't something you want. Oh also a vezina nominee, Stanley cup finalist just two summers ago and Olympic gold medalist, ya who needs that guy.
Apparently not Vancouver even after back to back first round exits with a stellar 1-8 record.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
  #123
sommervr
Registered User
 
sommervr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Check out my dog Puck from Monday night. He's still devastated.

Did you kick him every time the B's scored?

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
  #124
Leaf_Crazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
I honestly dont see how people think Reimer is the answer here.

He played awesome. But I think thats the peak of his potential.
I love how hes good mentally.

But he lacks athletic ability.
His rebound control is terrible.
He cant catch ANYTHING.

I want Luongo. We need to jump on that for a cheap price.

Scrivens + 2nd would be a steal.

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
  #125
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,720
vCash: 500
Can someone post the major trades and UFA signings Nonis has made in his career?

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.