HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Given his performance in the playoffs (and even the regular season), assuming we can't find somebody better and cheaper, I have no problem bringing him back at the same salary for 2 years. The thing is, he's good enough to be a #6 or even #5 regular on a worse team so he might depart for that reason rather than because he wants more money than we can give him.
It's just my own opinion, but given the cap levels for the next few years; I don't think it's all that great an idea to give multi-year deals to 'depth players'.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

News1130Sports on Twitter reporting that Tanev will represent himself in contract negotiations with the Canucks with assistance from his father, Mike. They contacted the Canucks last week, but it doesn't sound like any significant negotiations have begun. (I am guessing none will occur until after Gillis' pow wow with Ownership)

Old
05-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
It's just my own opinion, but given the cap levels for the next few years; I don't think it's all that great an idea to give multi-year deals to 'depth players'.
Having Tanev and Corrado playing above him on nice contracts might make that a luxury we can afford. Assuming we sign Tanev to a nice deal. Preferable to having a guy like Barker in the lineup half the time imo.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
News1130Sports on Twitter reporting that Tanev will represent himself in contract negotiations with the Canucks with assistance from his father, Mike. They contacted the Canucks last week, but it doesn't sound like any significant negotiations have begun. (I am guessing none will occur until after Gillis' pow wow with Ownership)
Hmmm. The morning bozo's on 1040 said he was being represented by Overhardt.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
1130 seems to be pretty much the best source for Canucks news these days. Much more informed than all other media in the city and they also research the less mainstream news on our prospects that 1040 and The Province won't bother with.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Having Tanev and Corrado playing above him on nice contracts might make that a luxury we can afford. Assuming we sign Tanev to a nice deal. Preferable to having a guy like Barker in the lineup half the time imo.
Depends on whether we keep the blueline intact. That won't leave alot of cap space left to spend up front (forwards) if it remains the same even without Ballard.

I can see an argument keeping Alberts around just as a backup plan if Corrado turns out that he needs a year of "seasoning" at the AHL level. It all depends of course on the cost.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
stickside

Quote:
The morning bozo's probably saw the same article i posted earlier in the thread that has a quote from overhardt in it and then assumed he was the agent.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I was going to point out the typo but in the case of Frolik perhaps "minuets" is appropriate..

Not a player we should be looking at given this teams needs (either legitimate top liners or simply bigger, more effective depth players) in my opinion.
(I googled minuet and then lol'd)

Old
05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Orca Smash

I also would have no issue bringing alberts back at his current salary, he certainly played better later on. Of course I wont be crushed if he leaves either. But for 1.2 he was fine.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I think we share similar views, but there is something to the argument that these 'depth' players make a significant difference in the playoffs. If the two competing teams' top minute guys 'saw-off' then it's the difference in these 'depth' guys, which will mean winning or losing a series. That being said, the Canuck's current core group is not as good as several NHL teams: Chicago, Detroit, Anehiem, San Jose, LA, Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, Ottawa. Are there more?

Old
05-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
That being said, the Canuck's current core group is not as good as several NHL teams: Chicago, Detroit, Anehiem, San Jose, LA, Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, Ottawa. Are there more?
I see no evidence that our core group is worse than Boston's, San Jose's, St. Louis', Anaheim's or Ottawa's. Detroit would be very arguable considering their best D is Kronwall and their G is Howard.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Apparently Eklund's spewing his crap again. This time about Edler AND Kesler potentially being traded.

Anyway, my proposal for the day for trade I'd like but will not happen..

To Van
Yakupov

To Edm
Edler
2013 1st

Edmonton and Vancouver are VERY unlikely to trade with each other but this could be good for both teams.

Hall is going nowhere.

I'd love RNH but he's their #1 centre

Eberle would be more likely to be moved but he just got a big raise and I think he's soft as butter.

Don't want Gagner, MPS or any of their other forwards.

Edm has a need on d and are stalked with forwards.

Van has a need upfront and have d to potentially move.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:57 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
Apparently Eklund's spewing his crap again. This time about Edler AND Kesler potentially being traded.

To Van
Yakupov

To Edm
Edler
2013 1st

Edmonton and Vancouver are VERY unlikely to trade with each other but this could be good for both teams.

Hall is going nowhere.

I'd love RNH but he's their #1 centre

Eberle would be more likely to be moved but he just got a big raise and I think he's soft as butter.

Don't want Gagner, MPS or any of their other forwards.

Edm has a need on d and are stalked with forwards.

Van has a need upfront and have d to potentially move.
Gross.

Wouldn't add to Edler for Yakupov.

Just not sold on Yakupov. We already know what Edler brings, and its more than Yakupov.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post

To Van
Yakupov

To Edm
Edler
2013 1st
I don't have a problem in moving Edler but not for that package (especially giving up our 1st). Might feel different if Yaks cap hit was in the million dollar range.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Alflives

Quote:
I see no evidence that our core group is worse than Boston's, San Jose's, St. Louis', Anaheim's or Ottawa's. Detroit would be very arguable considering their best D is Kronwall and their G is Howard.
Boston has Chara.
St. Louis has Peterangelo (sp?)
Anaheim has Fowler
Ottawa has Karlson
San Jose has Boyle

And you're right. Detroit has Kronwall.

I am a Canuck's fan, but see the team's Cup run in 2011 as more of a 'one-off' than anything else.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Gross.

Wouldn't add to Edler for Yakupov.

Just not sold on Yakupov. We already know what Edler brings, and its more than Yakupov.
Now yes, but what is Yakupov's ceiling? Could Yakupov be the center piece on a top line that could win a Cup? I don't think so either, but his potential must be part of his value. And yes, everyone knows what Edler brings, and it's not going to get better.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Boston has Chara.
St. Louis has Peterangelo (sp?)
Anaheim has Fowler
Ottawa has Karlson
San Jose has Boyle

And you're right. Detroit has Kronwall.

I am a Canuck's fan, but see the team's Cup run in 2011 as more of a 'one-off' than anything else.
What does Fowler have to do with anything? He had 11 points in 37 games this season and was 3rd in ice-time amongst Ducks defensemen. Kronwall and Boyle are hardly examples of the type of players you've been saying the Canucks lack.

I love how the 'core' question for you comes down to whether a team has what you deem to be a #1 defenseman. But apparently the criteria for a #1 defensemen are completely arbitrary and change to include anyone who isn't on Canucks. Including Cam Fowler...

Old
05-16-2013, 03:14 PM
tantalum

Quote:
I wouldn't put St. Louis in the same place as any of those teams including Vancouver. They do not have top line talent IMO. There leading scorer last year was 74th in scoring. This year Stewart was the leading scorer and was a reasonable 35th, but Backes their second leading scorer was 101st. Guys like Backes, Oshie and Steen are fine players but you really want them cast into the second line type of role.

And given the potential budget crunch the Blues will have they may find themselves losing Stewart and/or Shattenkirk. The Bouwmeester acquisition really hurts them if they maintain an internal budget well below the cap like they have.

I can only imagine if Backes and Oshie formed the major part of the canucks core what people would be saying about Backes' 7 points in 15 games and Oshie's 5 points in 15 the past two playoff years..... Yet, the Blues shouldn't expect much more production from those types of guys (especially when having to go against a teams best defensive units). The issue with them is opposite IMO to that of the canucks. The canucks lack quality playoff depth up front while the Blues lack quality talent up front right now.

Btw I didn't cherry pick Backes and Oshie:

Steen: 6 pts in 15 games
Perron: 7 pts in 15 games
Stewart: 3pts in 13 games
Pietrangelo: 7pts in 15 games.....that one is good for D-man.
Berglund: 9pts in 15 games....not bad actually but it would get him crucified as a canuck.

Last edited by tantalum: 05-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
I wouldn't put St. Louis in the same place as any of those teams including Vancouver. They do not have top line talent IMO. There leading scorer last year was 74th in scoring. This year Stewart was the leading scorer and was a reasonable 35th, but Backes their second leading scorer was 101st. Guys like Backes, Oshie and Steen are fine players but you really want them cast into the second line type of role.

And given the potential budget crunch the Blues will have they may find themselves losing Stewart and/or Shattenkirk. The Bouwmeester acquisition really hurts them if they maintain an internal budget well below the cap like they have.
But they have Pietrangelo and that's all that matters when evaluating a core of a team.

TOUGH #1D, BRO!

Old
05-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Alflives

Quote:
What does Fowler have to do with anything? He had 11 points in 37 games this season and was 3rd in ice-time amongst Ducks defensemen. Kronwall and Boyle are hardly examples of the type of players you've been saying the Canucks lack.

I love how the 'core' question for you comes down to whether a team has what you deem to be a #1 defenseman. But apparently the criteria for a #1 defensemen are completely arbitrary and change to include anyone who isn't on Canucks. Including Cam Fowler...
Then, you do agree that the Canuck's current core is far behind several NHL teams, in either age, talent or a combination of both. How then are the Canucks going to win with this current group, when so many other teams have better and younger core players? Fowler is a young D, with great skills, which the Canucks don't have. I missed Edmonton's young core too, which includes J. Schultz. Oh, and Montreal with Subban. I think too many Canuck's fans (including myself) too often see their team for what they want them to be, and not what they currently are. Which is okay, of course. We are fans.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Then, you do agree that the Canuck's current core is far behind several NHL teams, in either age, talent or a combination of both.
No, I don't.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Hey guys I was wondering what you need to get to move Edler? I know the Winsg would have been interested in him had he made it to FA & he would've signed in the 6-7M range had he made it so his current contract is very nice. I guess you would want a top 9/top 4 player+1st+top prospect+possibly more?

If Detroit was to trade for him what would it take? The only prospects off the table are Nyquist/Jarnkrok, not because I'm trying to steel Edler but because neither were involved in the Yandle/Nash talks so it's likely they're seen as big parts of the future.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Beauchemin is miles better than Fowler. And he was playing with a torn ACL for part of the season/playoffs as well.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Hey guys I was wondering what you need to get to move Edler? I know the Winsg would have been interested in him had he made it to FA & he would've signed in the 6-7M range had he made it so his current contract is very nice. I guess you would want a top 9/top 4 player+1st+top prospect+possibly more?

If Detroit was to trade for him what would it take? The only prospects off the table are Nyquist/Jarnkrok, not because I'm trying to steel Edler but because neither were involved in the Yandle/Nash talks so it's likely they're seen as big parts of the future.
Sorry but Nyquist would have to be included in any deal.

Canucks are looking for quality and not quantity.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:27 PM
tantalum

Quote:

While Pietrangelo is a wonderful talent, this year it was Shattenkirk that was the best D-man on the Blues. At least from what I saw. Not sure what the stats would say. Either way Pietrangelo can't quite yet be mentioned in the same breath as a Chara (honestly who can now that Lidstrom is retired...I think Chara is far and away the best overall D-man in the league).

Great talent to be sure but he's not the #1 type of player that fits the posters definition of #1....which is of course not really the definition of #1 but that of an established FRANCHISE player.

Yes it would be great for the canucks to have a franchise D-man, likely future hall of famer, on the blueline. They don't and most other teams don't either. You don't just go out and say "I want a franchise D-man" and the player appears as if by magic. And if you truly think that is the only definition of a good core then why even bother putting a team together to challenge until you have that guy? It would be the definition of futility. But of course you shouldn't need that guy to win if you balance your team in other ways. The canucks don't have that balance right now but damn they nearly did 2 years ago and I'd wager if it wasn't for some very serious injuries to key personnel we aren't even having this same discussion.

Last edited by tantalum: 05-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Closed Thread