HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
He certainly hasn't loaded it with playoff character. The talent is certainly there: Ovi, Backstrom, Green, Ribeiro, Alzner. That's a decent amount of talent.
Sure, there's some talent, but the team's far from 'loaded'.

They've got two forwards (Ovi and Backstrom) who've ever scored 30 goals in an NHL season.

Green and Carlson are the only defensemen in their playoff top-6 who've ever hit 30 points in an NHL season.

The talent is very thin beyond the top guys.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
He certainly hasn't loaded it with playoff character. The talent is certainly there: Ovi, Backstrom, Green, Ribeiro, Alzner. That's a decent amount of talent.
Not Really. Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Vancouver, LA, San Jose and others I'm overlooking all have much better high end depth than us. We're not all that special.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Put another way: Show me a team that's considered talent-over-character, and it seems like half the time I can show you a team that isn't nearly as talented as it's perceived.
As I already mentioned: Vancouver. Loads of talent, no playoff character.

As much as you think "character" is open to interpretation as to what exactly it is, "talent" is equally open to such interpretation. A player one person sees as talented may not be so talented in the eyes of another person. Even the experts can't agree as to what exactly constitutes talent.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Talent is more quantifiable than character, though. And VAN's current troubles are arguably related to overreacting to the Bruins and shedding talent for the sake of acquiring toughness (because that is no longer a team that plays like a talented team). Well, that and a truly hilarious goaltending rollercoaster.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
As I already mentioned: Vancouver. Loads of talent, no playoff character.

As much as you think "character" is open to interpretation as to what exactly it is, "talent" is equally open to such interpretation. A player one person sees as talented may not be so talented in the eyes of another person. Even the experts can't agree as to what exactly constitutes talent.
Vancouver got to game 7 of the finals with largely the same team and they have no playoff character?

I think you'll see that most around here find the Caps lacking in both talent and playoff character, however relative or abstract the concepts may be.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Liberati0n*

Good posts on talent vs. character, brs.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:14 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I mean, I really don't want to sound like I'm coming out against character guys or whatnot. Just that you have to be careful about how you manage your perceptions. Prime example (one of the few ones, actually) of a guy who noticeably steps it up in terms of production in the playoffs is Briere. Is he someone anyone would peg as a character guy?

Old
05-16-2013, 03:17 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

The focus shouldn't be "character".

It should be "intelligence/hockey smarts".

You can be all the "character" you want...but if don't have the marbles to go with it....well...you keep losing when it matters.

There's some clueless-ness on this team that needs to be addressed.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Prime example (one of the few ones, actually) of a guy who noticeably steps it up in terms of production in the playoffs is Briere. Is he someone anyone would peg as a character guy?
Absolutely.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I mean, the biggest issues to these eyes this series were the inability to pass the puck intelligently and accurately, and the inability to protect the puck. That killed their even strength play, prevented them from threatening Lundqvist for long stretches, and got them hemmed in the defensive zone.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:22 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

That could be composure as much as it is intelligence or talent, of course. Although I guess when you get down to it those are just components of talent as much as physical tools are.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Talent is more quantifiable than character, though. And VAN's current troubles are arguably related to overreacting to the Bruins and shedding talent for the sake of acquiring toughness (because that is no longer a team that plays like a talented team). Well, that and a truly hilarious goaltending rollercoaster.
I'd also point out that not everything in hockey can be boiled down to a quantifiable number. That's a mistake I've noticed creeping in amongst fans in recent years: That hockey play can be "solved" by formulas and metrics.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:56 PM
HockeyTS32

If Ribeiro leaves via FA

First of all I would like to apologize beforehand for all the "IFs" because there are a lot of them in this comment, but would like to get everyone's opinion.

If Ribeiro leaves and IF Briere is bought out (like numerous reports are saying), what do you think of the caps signing Briere to a 1-2 year deal for 4.5 (or so) per season? This is obviously only if the caps shed some salary as the caps still need to resign Alzner and Mojo, but just wondering what everyone thinks of bringing Briere in if he is bought out, if there is enough cap space, and if Ribeiro isn't resigned.

Briere has proven to step up his game in the playoffs no matter what team he is on. And the only reasoning behind bringing him in instead of resigning Ribeiro (if there was even enough cap space) would be because Briere would most likely be open to signing a short term deal, while Ribeiro has said numerous times he wants 4 years minimum.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Forget Briere. Caps need to save a little money to resign some more pressing needs like Alzner.

Let 85 be the 2C.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
HockeyTS32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Forget Briere. Caps need to save a little money to resign some more pressing needs like Alzner.

Let 85 be the 2C.
I guess you didn't grasp as to what I was saying. I said if the caps shed some salary.

And 85 is way too soft to be a 2C no matter how well he played in the post season.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Last edited by ChibiPooky: 05-16-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Fixed YT
Old
05-16-2013, 04:11 PM
HockeyTS32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
What is the video suppose to be of? Didn't work.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:11 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Let 85 be the 2C.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 View Post
I guess you didn't grasp as to what I was saying. I said if the caps shed some salary.

And 85 is way too soft to be a 2C no matter how well he played in the post season.
How does someone go about grasping "as to" what another is saying?

Old
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 View Post
First of all I would like to apologize beforehand for all the "IFs" because there are a lot of them in this comment, but would like to get everyone's opinion.

If Ribeiro leaves and IF Briere is bought out (like numerous reports are saying), what do you think of the caps signing Briere to a 1-2 year deal for 4.5 (or so) per season? This is obviously only if the caps shed some salary as the caps still need to resign Alzner and Mojo, but just wondering what everyone thinks of bringing Briere in if he is bought out, if there is enough cap space, and if Ribeiro isn't resigned.

Briere has proven to step up his game in the playoffs no matter what team he is on. And the only reasoning behind bringing him in instead of resigning Ribeiro (if there was even enough cap space) would be because Briere would most likely be open to signing a short term deal, while Ribeiro has said numerous times he wants 4 years minimum.
In addition to Ribeiro leaving AND buying out Jeff Schultz, they'd have to shed the entirety of Briere's theoretical contract in salary.

1) What team is going to take salary dumps in a year the salary cap drops?

2) What $4.5M worth of player(s) is going to go to fit Briere in?

Those are two important questions you need to ask before you go any further with this line of thought.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Old
05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Well, as nobody expected, Poti isn't returning.

@SWhyno
Quote:
"It's time to move on." Impending UFA D Tom Poti says he won't return to #Caps. Wants to continue NHL career.
I can't see who would pick him up.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
I'd also point out that not everything in hockey can be boiled down to a quantifiable number. That's a mistake I've noticed creeping in amongst fans in recent years: That hockey play can be "solved" by formulas and metrics.
You can't measure heart and desire, but you know it when you see it, and certainly when its missing.

Its been missing from this core since day 1.

Last edited by kicksavedave: 05-16-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
You can't measure heart and desire, but you know it when you see it, and certainly when its missing.

Its been missing from this core since day 1.
Exactly!

Old
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
MiSe

Quote:
Exactly!
My understanding if schultz's contract is too low for a compliance buy out. Minimum 3mil. Can anybody else confirm that? Do we simply regular buy out in that instance our hope to trade schultz?

Closed Thread