Jets 2013 Draft Talk - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I'd be fine with pulock at thirteen. Watched him a couple times and i liked him. mind you i don't really have an eye for talent or anything but i thought he played smart and could move really well, good shot too.

I'd only have issues with taking him if there were some forwards around i liked better.
I agree about hoping there was a better forward on the board.

Instead of thinking about forward vs. defense though, I really like to think about the players in the tier type system (like Holden used).

In that scenario, and by looking at some other rankings out there, I do wonder if the consensus was that a guy like Pulock might be in a higher tier than the forwards at 13 (the Domi's, Lazar's, Horvat's, Gautiers, Mantha's, etc)?

Old
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
I agree HC, about Nurse.

If taken early, he might be a guy that a team has 'shaking their collective heads' in a few years wondering - what were we thinking.

I think the biggest hindrance for him is a lack of hockey sense. He seems to have gotten by at the Jr level on whatever physical attributes he has. That's why I don't think the Jets would take him at #13.

They seem to be very aware of hockey IQ, and ranked Scheifele higher than most because of it. And I'm very much ok with that.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:34 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I agree HC, about Nurse.

If taken early, he might be a guy that a team has 'shaking their collective heads' in a few years wondering - what were we thinking.

I think the biggest hindrance for him is a lack of hockey sense. He seems to have gotten by at the Jr level on whatever physical attributes he has. That's why I don't think the Jets would take him at #13.

They seem to be very aware of hockey IQ, and ranked Scheifele higher than most because of it. And I'm very much ok with that.
Also one of the things I like about Lowry and Trouba....both seem to be very smart hockey players.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Also one of the things I like about Lowry and Trouba....both seem to be very smart hockey players.
Absolutely, ps.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:49 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaJetsFan View Post
Saw Lipon play twice this past year here in Victoria and came away very impressed. Very shifty little player who works his ass off. Could adapt to any role....he has always been overlooked and always exceeded expectations. Be thrilled if he Jets grabbed him. He has special hands, could be quite a sleeper pick...
http://thehockeywriters.com/jc-lipon...spect-profile/

Just a follow up on Lipon....Where does he get drafted ? I think he is a sleeper pick as well ............ He worked his way onto WJC with hard work ......

Old
05-17-2013, 09:59 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Technically, not it's not. It's his 18 year old year yes, but not it's certainly not "technically" his post draft year. Also, same thing can be said for Seth Jones, Darnell Nurse, Hunter Shinkaruk, etc, etc. All late 94's.

Darnell Nurse is the guy I want absolutely nothing to do with at #13. Most overrated player in this draft, IMO. Has absolutely no hockey sense, and I will be pissed if we take him at #13.
Was going to say same thing.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
AriIQ

I feel like Mantha is the guy we are most likely to pick up. Would love if he was a Jet.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:57 PM
denniscasa
Blues Bandwagon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriIQ View Post
I feel like Mantha is the guy we are most likely to pick up. Would love if he was a Jet.
I watched some of his highlights, and most of the goals he scored are one-timers from the right circle. Kid looks like a real goalscorer to me. He could be a legit upgrade to our somewhat pitiful power play with those shots of his.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriIQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniscasa View Post
I watched some of his highlights, and most of the goals he scored are one-timers from the right circle. Kid looks like a real goalscorer to me. He could be a legit upgrade to our somewhat pitiful power play with those shots of his.
I've read a couple of scouting reports that noted that Mantha had a bit of a spotty work ethic. Also, he is an early birthday, so he's one of the oldest in this class (almost a full year older than Mackinnon and Barkov).

Old
05-19-2013, 03:38 AM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I've read a couple of scouting reports that noted that Mantha had a bit of a spotty work ethic. Also, he is an early birthday, so he's one of the oldest in this class (almost a full year older than Mackinnon and Barkov).
From the Q I'd prefer Zykov to Mantha.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:00 AM
AriIQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I've read that too, but the dude scored 50 goals, so I don't know how much time off he could really take.
I'd prefer Zykov, but i don't think he will be there.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:39 AM
lanky

I'd be very happy with Zykov. I can't imagine he'll be off the board before we pick. I don't think I've seen any mocks with him gone before 13.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:17 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I'd be very happy with Zykov. I can't imagine he'll be off the board before we pick. I don't think I've seen any mocks with him gone before 13.
He's a riser for sure. Ive only seen him play a few times but what I saw confirmed the scouting reports. Big power winger with a goal scoring touch. I could see him going as high as 9 if a teams really sold on him.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
He's a riser for sure. Ive only seen him play a few times but what I saw confirmed the scouting reports. Big power winger with a goal scoring touch. I could see him going as high as 9 if a teams really sold on him.
Zykov vs Erne:

I'd take Erne first. He may be a little small to be a power forward, but I love his speed and skating.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:58 PM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Zykov vs Erne:

I'd take Erne first. He may be a little small to be a power forward, but I love his speed and skating.
plus dude busts his hump in the off-seasons trying to improve

Old
05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
lanky

I hope we end up with one of these two guys or Lazar. Someone to fill our void on the right side in the long term. They all play with the energy and physicality that Chevy looks for.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Zykov vs Erne:

I'm pretty confident in predicting Zykov will go before Erne in the draft. Haven't really seen Erne play so I can't judge though.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:18 PM
jetsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'm pretty confident in predicting Zykov will go before Erne in the draft. Haven't really seen Erne play so I can't judge though.
While I agree that Zykov is the better prospect, and is probably more highly regarded around the league, I would be shocked if Chevy picked him over Erne. Chevy's got a North American bias, that's for sure, especially guys with gritty, two-way games like Erne. He's my odds-on favourite to be our pick at #13.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:29 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan101 View Post
While I agree that Zykov is the better prospect, and is probably more highly regarded around the league, I would be shocked if Chevy picked him over Erne. Chevy's got a North American bias, that's for sure, especially guys with gritty, two-way games like Erne. He's my odds-on favourite to be our pick at #13.
Erne would be fine in a crappy draft, but their will players much better than him left at 13.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:53 PM
jetsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Erne would be fine in a crappy draft, but their will players much better than him left at 13.
Off the top of my head, I'd probably have Erne in the mid-1st, so as long as no one in my top 7 falls, I'd have no problem with Erne. After Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Nichuskin and Monahan (in that order), I've got the next tier of prospects to be about 8-10 guys deep. Any of them would be fine, but Domi, Pulock, Zykov, Erne and Zadorov would be my favourites.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

Domi, Horvat, and Zadorov all playing well tonight

although I did miss first 8 min of 2nd period due to the slowest sandwich artist ever

Old
05-20-2013, 09:09 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Horvat has really impressed me tonight. If Domi is still available he's a must take.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:13 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Horvat has really impressed me tonight. If Domi is still available he's a must take.
Both Domi and Horvat looked great but Portland shows allot of chin due to their fire wagon style so the checking was a tad loose.

Pouliot can really dangle.....very slick offesive defensman that should do well in Pittsburgh one day.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:36 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
http://thehockeywriters.com/jc-lipon...spect-profile/

Just a follow up on Lipon....Where does he get drafted ? I think he is a sleeper pick as well ............ He worked his way onto WJC with hard work ......
I have seen draft rankings of him in the third round...jets have extra picks there..

Old
05-20-2013, 10:40 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Speaking of Pulock, it seems weird that we havn't spoken too much about him, considering of all the prospects you would think some people on here would know more about him than others (being how he played for the Wheaties).

I know that RHD is not a need (as is LW), but top talent is top talent. Some places have this guy really high:

#7 http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/...yer-profile-7/

Thoughts on Pulock at #13?
Saw him play here in Victoria last year. He could be a really special defenseman. Showed flashes of real high end ability in every facet of the game. Made some great passes, smart in his own zone, big and probably growing..strong skater and a booming booming shot. Would be great for the Jets..

Closed Thread