HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers And Drafting Defensemen

Old
05-16-2013, 03:58 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Since stu has taken over we have only drafted 3 defencemen with our 1st or 2nd round picks.

Oscar Klefbom
David Musil
Martin Marincin

I wouldn't call any of those guys bad picks. In fact, two of them are steals. It's not that we suck at drafting defencemen, it's that we haven't allocated our picks accordingly.
I like all the picks, a lot still believe Klefbom was a steal at #19. Klefbom can make the team next season.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:18 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 500
At this point we need to develop defense men rather than worry about focusing on drafting them. Neither Tubert or Plante are looking useful Peckham is also a suspect that never really developed. The AHL team next year looks to have a lot of young defense talent coming in.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:26 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
At this point we need to develop defense men rather than worry about focusing on drafting them. Neither Tubert or Plante are looking useful Peckham is also a suspect that never really developed. The AHL team next year looks to have a lot of young defense talent coming in.
If it's not one of Barkov, Monahan, Gauthier or Nichuskin I don't mind drafting a defenceman. The offensive core is mainly set for the rebuild and we all know defenceman take longer to develop.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:28 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
If it's not one of Barkov, Monahan, Gauthier or Nichuskin I don't mind drafting a defenceman. The offensive core is mainly set for the rebuild and we all know defenceman take longer to develop.
I would be willing to do that as well at 7 if we do not trade down. Al be it our top six is almost set we still lack current forward prospects that could fill roles.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Alzner is even more one dimensional than Gagner. He's not a true top pair guy, he's a top pair guy in the sense that Jason Smith was. Great shut down guy, but he`s really just a larger version of Smid. I'm not arguing that he wouldn't fit our needs better, I think he would (although Horcoff or Belanger at #2 center is scary), but Alzner and Gagner are actually not far off in value.
I don't know how you put him in the same league as Smith/Smid. There's a big difference here, that being Alzner had poise with the puck. He's not going to start the breakout like Green/Carlson, but he can make a first pass with some authority, although he's not one to skate up the ice to join the rush.

He's definitely a top pairing defenseman. Perfect compliment for Green/Carlson. He's a #2 IMO. Comparable to players like Willie Mitchell/Dan Hamhuis

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by New dawn View Post
I think that Alzner went before Gagner and Cowen before Paajarvi so what if we had first pick those years?
And Voracek went immediately after Gagner (though most scouting services had him ranked ahead); while Ellis went after Paajarvi.

I'd take Voracek all day long over Gagner; and though I like Ellis, I'd take Paajarvi, as he still has far more upside.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote