HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Well, as nobody expected, Poti isn't returning.

@SWhyno

I can't see who would pick him up.
He only just turned 36. If he's healthy, someone will take him for cheap. He'll have to prove himself (maybe a tryout deal) and be willing to take a cut rate contract.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:33 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
If you're going to single out those two...you have to mention the 3rd wheel. Mojo.

I mean...realistically he shouldn't be playing 1st line LW...but he was there...and didn't do much. He speed is a nice addition to the line, but his inability to keep control of the puck and win battles is just not going to cut it for that spot in the line.

Along with the top 4 LD thats need....top line LW is really the main offseason target.
Yes but Backstrom and Ovechkin are superstars. They should produce no matter what. Mojo is a good player, but the other 2 shouldn't have an excuse for having 5 combined points.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
My understanding if schultz's contract is too low for a compliance buy out. Minimum 3mil. Can anybody else confirm that? Do we simply regular buy out in that instance our hope to trade schultz?
There are no restrictions, high or low, on salary for players to be bought out with compliance buyouts.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:57 PM
MiSe

Quote:
There are no restrictions, high or low, on salary for players to be bought out with compliance buyouts.
Are you sure? I know its Espn but it says otherwise here...
http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?story...30&src=desktop

Old
05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
Are you sure? I know its Espn but it says otherwise here...
http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?story...30&src=desktop
The accelerated compliance buyouts were the only ones to have salary restrictions (not regular compliance buyouts). For those to be used, the player to be bought out must have been placed on waivers prior to Thursday, January 17, 2013, for the purposes of being bought out (and had to clear waivers as well). Accelerated compliance buyouts did not provide salary cap relief for the 2013 season, and provided the same cap relief as regular (non-compliance) buyouts for seasons after 2013.

The only compliance buyouts available now are the standard ones, which do not carry restrictions (other than how many each team can use).

Old
05-16-2013, 05:53 PM
MiSe

Quote:
The accelerated compliance buyouts were the only ones to have salary restrictions (not regular compliance buyouts). For those to be used, the player to be bought out must have been placed on waivers prior to Thursday, January 17, 2013, for the purposes of being bought out (and had to clear waivers as well). Accelerated compliance buyouts did not provide salary cap relief for the 2013 season, and provided the same cap relief as regular (non-compliance) buyouts for seasons after 2013.

The only compliance buyouts available now are the standard ones, which do not carry restrictions (other than how many each team can use).
Thank you. Was worried we'd not be able to do anything with him.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 View Post
I guess you didn't grasp as to what I was saying. I said if the caps shed some salary.

And 85 is way too soft to be a 2C no matter how well he played in the post season.
I never thought MP would be a top six player but he is progressing very nicely every year. He may be a legit top six guy a few years from now, he still has potential, despite what Caps fans think, not everyone hits their peak at 21 years old.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

If the Caps trade Backstrom they will regret it. They should deal Ovechkin for major pieces (and salary relief) to go out and build teams similar to the Hunter, Hatcher, Stevens, Gartner, Johansson teams of the 80s. I also think they should move Green.

The Caps should call up Florida (who is always willing to spend and try to make a splash) and offer them......

Ovechkin and Green

for

Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Howden, 2nd overall pick in 2013 and 2014 1st rounder

With the 2nd overall pick take Jonathan Drouin.

IN:

Bjugstad
Drouin
Howden
Gudbranson

.... That is a whole lot of youth, character and talent right there.

Backsrom, like most Swedes, has a very good work ethic, heart and all-around game. I think he would excel as the leader of an Ovechkin-less Caps team that is constructed around young, fast legs and character.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:35 PM
um

Gustafsson you are being sarcastic right?

Old
05-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
I never thought MP would be a top six player but he is progressing very nicely every year. He may be a legit top six guy a few years from now, he still has potential, despite what Caps fans think, not everyone hits their peak at 21 years old.
How about 25?

Old
05-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
Gustafsson you are being sarcastic right?
Not at all.

Those Panthers I've named are not "household" names but if you do some digging you'll see that they are all very good players with size, heart, grit and character. Bjugstad has been compared to a Jordan Staal/Eric Staal hybrid and will be a huge #2 centerman who can play in all situations. Jonatan Drouin has incredible hands and projects to be a 35-40 goal scorer in the NHL. Howden is a big, versatile winger who is great on the PK and plays similar to Laich. Gudbranson is a big, character defenseman who can log big minutes, hit and fight when needed.... he's like Jovanovski-light. The 1st rounder next year is also a top asset to either stash or trade.

The best players don't win, the best team does. I'm sorry, I don't ever see an Ovechkin-lead Caps team winning the Cup but I could see Backstrom leading a team there.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Not at all.

Those Panthers I've named are not "household" names but if you do some digging you'll see that they are all very good players with size, heart, grit and character. Bjugstad has been compared to a Jordan Staal/Eric Staal hybrid and will be a huge #2 centerman who can play in all situations. Jonatan Drouin has incredible hands and projects to be a 35-40 goal scorer in the NHL. Howden is a big, versatile winger who is great on the PK and plays similar to Laich. Gudbranson is a big, character defenseman who can log big minutes, hit and fight when needed.... he's like Jovanovski-light. The 1st rounder next year is also a top asset to either stash or trade.

The best players don't win, the best team does. I'm sorry, I don't ever see an Ovechkin-lead Caps team winning the Cup but I could see Backstrom leading a team there.
I take it you haven't watched their respective playoff careers?

Old
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Brian23

Quote:
Not at all.

Backstrom hasn't really don't **** the last few years, let alone enough to be looked at as a guy to carry a team.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
Backstrom hasn't really don't **** the last few years, let alone enough to be looked at as a guy to carry a team.
There were stretches where Backstrom was the Caps MVP in recent years. Backstrom has also been very good in International play. I've said this for a few years now but I think Backstrom could be just as good if not better without Ovechkin.... I think he feels obligated to make the plays Ovie wants. I also think Backstrom's personality is better suited for a locker room with a bunch of hard-working, character guys and not a team with a few elite superstars and filler. Just my opinion.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:07 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

I enjoyed Poti spelling out his druthers for his next team. Contender, check. Western Conference, check. Okay then. Move over, Duncan Keith. Make way for Poti.

I also like his discussion of Stanley Cup as the thing which is missing from his career. You'd think he was Ray Bourque or Jarome Iginla, just trying to add that final exclamation point on HHOF career.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:26 AM
MW6

Is it safe to say that Ovechkin's trade value is back to normal after his rocket/hart year? Maybe it is time to try and sell high for once? Same goes for Mike "on pace for 28g" Green? Give Oates a chance to acquire players to fit his system, a retool if you like..

Old
05-17-2013, 07:14 AM
fsnoles98

I see where Gustafsson is going. I not sold on Fla, but do not oppose the idea. Green and Ovi have high trade values right now. WE HAVE NOT WON ANYTHING WITH THEM, so if you get the right GMGM and owner who is willing to rebuild and can get a boat load for those 2, I not opposed to it. It can't hurt anymore then the way I'm feeling now.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I had a dream that Perreault @ 3C will be more productive (relative) than @ 2C.

That way we will have a dangerous 3rd line again. Is it worth to mess with it?

Old
05-17-2013, 07:23 AM
fsnoles98

Well 85 is definitely not a #2 at this time. To weak on the puck at this time in his career. This is not the AHL.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Also... Ribeiro sounds like McPhee's negotiating got him. I think he understands that he has to take paycut to stay here. And I feel he wants to.

IMHO.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Also... Ribeiro sounds like McPhee's negotiating got him. I think he understands that he has to take paycut to stay here. And I feel he wants to.

IMHO.
Why? He was here for a year, did well on a contract year in the regular season and got exactly 1 important point in the playoffs. He knows he can squeeze his annual salary or maybe a little more out of a more desperate team.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
txpd

Quote:
There were stretches where Backstrom was the Caps MVP in recent years. Backstrom has also been very good in International play. I've said this for a few years now but I think Backstrom could be just as good if not better without Ovechkin.... I think he feels obligated to make the plays Ovie wants. I also think Backstrom's personality is better suited for a locker room with a bunch of hard-working, character guys and not a team with a few elite superstars and filler. Just my opinion.
so...you visualize backstrom as the second coming of bengt gustafsson?

those 80s teams. they were the blue collar version of the ovechkin capitals. an elite regular season team that consistantly failed to finish early round playoff series where they held an advantage. thats the only difference.

bengt was a great hockey player. far better than his stats ever showed that he was. how many times is his name on the stanley cup?

Old
05-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Roughing

IMO,
Ribs comes back; Alzner, too
Hendricks doesn't
Schultz finally goes away
Neuvy should be traded with that contract
Kundratek will not return
Backstrom (much as I love him) should be traded for a top Dman
Kuz & Schmidt will be legit help in two years
Oates will improve in year 2

This isn't much of a change but hopefully the D is better and they're more effective in the playoffs. Looks to me like people are in better roles and/or we don't fix what isn't broken. I've seen Nicky fail in the spring time more than I ever wanted to...

Erat Ribeiro Ovechkin
Laich Johansson Brouwer
Fehr Perreault Ward
Chimera Beagle Wilson
(Volpatti)

[NB Trade] Green
Alzner Carlson
Erskine Orlov
(Oleksy, Hillen)

Holby
Vet

Old
05-17-2013, 08:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
I see where Gustafsson is going. I not sold on Fla, but do not oppose the idea. Green and Ovi have high trade values right now. WE HAVE NOT WON ANYTHING WITH THEM, so if you get the right GMGM and owner who is willing to rebuild and can get a boat load for those 2, I not opposed to it. It can't hurt anymore then the way I'm feeling now.
if....LOL

who's going to fire the owner for you? leonsis is not going to sell the team.
mcphee might be fired, probably not. what new gm is going to come in and first thing pack off the biggest star the capitals have ever had after an mvp finalist season?

lastly....ovechkin and green are $15m in salary cap. how do you trade that without taking junk in return? boat load of valuable assets isnt very likely.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:57 AM
HockeyTS32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
I had a dream that Perreault @ 3C will be more productive (relative) than @ 2C.

That way we will have a dangerous 3rd line again. Is it worth to mess with it?
No, don't mess with it. I'd keep him at 3C. That role is better than him than 2c. IMO, he plays too soft to be the 2c.

Closed Thread