HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Did Reimer blow his chance to make Team Canada?

Old
05-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
If Canada has to resort to having Reimer on the roster we are even worse than imagined re tending.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
YA BLEW IT REIMER!!!

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Ovechkins vodka

Reimer is nowhere near contention to be on the Olympic team IMO

Should be Lu, Price, Ward/Crawford/MAF

Ovechkins vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Win The Cup View Post
imo Reimer had a huge chance to be a top 2 goalie for team Canada in 2014 and beyond, where he could be a backup and then win the starting position ala Luongo & Brodeur in 2010. Reimer already has experience in the world championships, so clearly they see him as a great goalie internationally, but after game 7, have his chances been affected in any way? Discuss

Also ***Mod, please change the title to indicate team canada at the olympics rather than the world championships
Its too bad you should have specified the World Championships because he isnt anywhere close to the olympic team. He has never won anything and has no rebound control.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:33 PM
bert

Quote:
i think he has a greater chance than Fleury at this point. Reimer will be the first backup, book it
Fleury has won a playoff series oh yeah and a cup. This is ridiculous, once the pressure was on Reimer folded like a Canadian tire tent.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Fleury has won a playoff series oh yeah and a cup. This is ridiculous, once the pressure was on Reimer folded like a Canadian tire tent.
Considering he won 2 elimination games + was playing solid until the last 10 minutes when the pressure(mentally) was off your post is a joke

The anti leaf phenomenon is really strange. The team isn't good enough to do anything of note but the goalie isn't good enough to carry a team. If what everyone says is true how can we explain remiers +9.20 for 70% of his career (the other 30% was few months post concussion) and the teams success this season?

Reimer easily has a chance because Canada's goalies are terrible. I doubt he makes it, but if Price and Fleury continue to choke in big games and with Brodeur and Luo on the downswing there is a solid chance that some new goalies get the chance. I would also like a reason why Holtby is considered so much better when he choked harder in game 7 and was so much worse in the season?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Considering he won 2 elimination games + was playing solid until the last 10 minutes when the pressure(mentally) was off your post is a joke

The anti leaf phenomenon is really strange. The team isn't good enough to do anything of note but the goalie isn't good enough to carry a team. If what everyone says is true how can we explain remiers +9.20 for 70% of his career (the other 30% was few months post concussion) and the teams success this season?

Reimer easily has a chance because Canada's goalies are terrible. I doubt he makes it, but if Price and Fleury continue to choke in big games and with Brodeur and Luo on the downswing there is a solid chance that some new goalies get the chance. I would also like a reason why Holtby is considered so much better when he choked harder in game 7 and was so much worse in the season?
Agreed, if Reimer played for any other team then everyone would be considering Reimer for the team. Anti-leaf bias is sad sometime

That said, I say that Reimer makes it over MAF, he will probably be the backup & MAF will sit in the pressbox, if he makes it at all

Leafs Win The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Machinae

If Reimer isn't a Leaf he'd be one of the most hyped up Canadian goalies in the league.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

Quote:
Agreed, if Reimer played for any other team then everyone would be considering Reimer for the team. Anti-leaf bias is sad sometime

That said, I say that Reimer makes it over MAF, he will probably be the backup & MAF will sit in the pressbox, if he makes it at all
Reimer plays almost anywhere else and he doesn't get hype. Reimer as back-up? Rather have Holtby or Ward or Crawford or Smith. They've at least done something. Ward's success was awhile ago but has never lost a game 7. Holtby is looking really good. Helped steal a playoff series from the Bruins last year. Crawford just seems be improving and coming off a great year. Smith is just generally solid and did well in the World's. What has Reimer done to separate himself from the pack? Other then the media hype he gets from playing in Toronto I don't know why he's being considered.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Reimer never had a realistic chance to be one of the 3 goalies in Sochi for Team Canada.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Reimer never had a realistic chance to be one of the 3 goalies in Sochi for Team Canada.

And then I realized you were serious

Reimer has played amazing the past few seasons, besides the injury, he carried the leafs to the playoffs. He absolutely deserves mention

Old
05-16-2013, 07:33 PM
hersky77

Quote:

And then I realized you were serious

Reimer has played amazing the past few seasons, besides the injury, he carried the leafs to the playoffs. He absolutely deserves mention
He will be invited to the camp, but think of this realistically Price, Luongo, Ward, Fleury( Next year will be big for him) plus Smith and Holtby (both debatable) are ahead of Reimer on the depth chart

If the nhl sends players in 2018, then it will be more of a discussion, but right now its not.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:41 PM
umad

Leafs fans are overrating Reimer.

You really think he's better than seasoned veterans in Luongo and Ward? Better than one of the youngest top 10 starters in Carey Price? Then he still needs to compete with Crawford, Holtby, and Smith whom have all won multiple playoff series'. The closest he would get near the Sochi team would be a questionable whisper.

umad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by umad View Post

You really think he's better than seasoned veterans in Luongo and Ward? Better than one of the youngest top 10 starters in Carey Price? Then he still needs to compete with Crawford, Holtby, and Smith whom have all won multiple playoff series'. The closest he would get near the Sochi team would be a questionable whisper.
Holtby had 1 good playoff run, wasn't even good in the regular season. Smith plays for pheonix, who can make any goalie look good, he wont make it. Maybe crawford gets invited, not over Reimer though

Old
05-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

Quote:
Holtby had 1 good playoff run, wasn't even good in the regular season. Smith plays for pheonix, who can make any goalie look good, he wont make it. Maybe crawford gets invited, not over Reimer though
Smith did decently in the World's this year as well. I still don't see what Reimer brings to the table that Smith, Crawford, and Holtby don't. I've watched Reimer all year long and there's nothing about him thats impressive. He had some good games in the playoffs for sure. However he does nothing that separates himself for the aforementioned goalies.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:30 AM
ukrleaf

As a fan of team Sweden I'd love that to happen. All those juicy rebounds and glove side goals... Please make it happen, Canada

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
If Reimer isn't a Leaf he'd be one of the most hyped up Canadian goalies in the league.
Seriously?

No team in the league have the players overrated like the Leafs do.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Canada4Gold

realistically Lu, and Price are pretty much locks.

After that Ward and Brodeur are probably ahead of Hockey Canada's list.

Then you have Reimer, Holtby, Dubnyk, Smith on the same level. They're long shots to make it, would have to have a fantastic camp and start to next year probably combined with Ward not playing well after his injury this year.

His odds to make it weren't great to start with but they weren't 0. And whatever odds he had weren't destroyed because of a game 7 loss that mostly wasn't his fault. None of those goals were bad goals.

He probably won't make it but those listing Holtby, Crawford and Smith ahead aren't right either. They're about on the same level. Yes they have better playoffs results but look at their teams. Prior to this year the Leafs have been pretty terrible. Put Reimer on Chicago, or Washington and they do just as good.

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Reign Nateo

His chanes went from >5% to >1% or so, so I guess yes. He did technically hurt his chances.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbrow View Post
I could see the third goaltender coming down to either Holtby, Ward, or Reimer. Price and Loungo are the favourites for the top two in my mind though.
Agreed. Price and Luongo have the recent track record to prove they should be the starters. Both are still star goalies, regardless of what their respective fan bases or critics say. The top 2 spots are theirs to lose IMO, and they would have to do a lot to lose them. I'm thinking absolutely catostrophic summer camp and season or a major injury that prevents them from playing.

The third spot will be the one that Reimer could get. Ward really hasn't done enough in recent years to be considered a lock, and really is just riding off of his Cup win. Holtby and Reimer are both relatively young and while they have had their struggles, both have potential. I would think it comes down to a last minute decision between the two of them for spot 3.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
His chanes went from >5% to >1% or so, so I guess yes. He did technically hurt his chances.
6 > 5, 10 > 1

So maybe his chances went from 6% to 10% based on what you said

maybe you meant >5% to <1% and I would disagree.

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Goon42

zero chance that would ever happen lol

Goon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:24 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by umad View Post

Reimer is the clumsiest goalie to make a playoff splash since Steve Penny. Both were horribly overrated and both have, and had, a complete inability to catch a puck. I see midget AAA goalies who have a better glove hands than Reimer. This fatal flaw was fully exposed in game 7 against the Bruins. If Reimer had only an average NHL level catching ability, the Leafs would be playing the Rangers now. I truly believe that as a result of his obvious limitations, within two years, Reimer will be relegated to a fringe NHL goaltender.

While I have little confidence in Hockey Canada's ability to assess what is needed to win on the big ice at Sochi, even they aren't dumb enough to consider Reimer for Team Canada. As one poster ruefully noted, if Reimer is one of Canada's goalies, we are truly doomed.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 02:39 AM
Leafs Win The Cup

he's lights out this year. Anyone else think he'll be the #1/#2 on team canada?

Old
11-27-2013, 07:20 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
he's lights out this year. Anyone else think he'll be the #1/#2 on team canada?
I'm not sure about it. Luongo and Price should be locks, then there are Smith, Crawford and ..Bernier and Reimer. But also Harding, Fleury and Holtby. Tough to choose only one. I think we really have good goalies. Doesn't matter that much who will play there. Let alone in front of that defense.

True Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote