HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WC: Oilers at the World Championships

Old
05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
glad they lost due to Ruff's inability to use Hall

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:18 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I never realized Duchene was such a massive pug hog until watching these games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
I found Duchene really frustrating to watch all tournament.

Unreal skill and speed but a complete one man show.

People ***** about Hall turning pucks over, well Duchene does just as much. It's just worse when Hall does it because he's an Oiler.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:18 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Seems like Duchene has really bad tunnel vision.

Can't point the finger at any one player tough, a ton of guys played way under their level. What a disappointing tournament, I'm pretty rattled right now.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Broilers

Oilers draft pick shot down Canada in the Worlds

Fredrik Pettersson scored the winning goal in a shootout and Sweden defeated Canada.

I saw the game and some other Canada's games too. When Hall and Eberle were on the ice the game went to wrong direction especially this game when the competition level was high. At this point they would not be scoring machines in the top European leagues like KHL. Which means they are second liners in the SC contending team at best.

To make even playoffs next season means we need in our scoring lines and we need to get rid of our role players who should be minor leaguers: Horcoff, Smyth, Belanger, Smithson, Petrell, Eager Hordi, Jones, Whitney, Potter, Schultz, Khabibulin. None of these would not have made the national team like Switzerland and Finland who have built up their teams around European players(read it NHL third liners at best )

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

At least this tourney waned me on wanting Ruff as head coach.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Senor Catface

I'm surprised Dragan Umicevic and Jonas Almtorp didn't put up assists on the play.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
glad they lost due to Ruff's inability to use Hall
How selfish is that? Grow up. They lost because they played much, much worse. No single coaching fault here. SWE wont go far in the tourni and Canada played to their level.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Senor Catface

How Duchene played is actually what I've seen Avalanche fans complain about before. Not always one for puck distribution.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:25 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

I think Ruff needs a year off to look at the game from the outside like Hitchcock got and then to come back. This line up did not have defined roles for any players besides Giroux and Stamkos. They did not really have an energy line or a checking line. This has to be put on the coach at the WHC.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
there is almost no chance Hall makes Sochi. Yzerman is sitting in the stands and must have thought that Hall wasn't good enough to be a difference maker.

Thanks Lindy
Ruff really mismanaged Hall in a monumental way. I'm shocked at how little Hall got to play in this tournament. Hall gets benched while a puck hog, turnover machine like Duchene gets free reign.

A little off topic, but it was pretty gross watching the Swedish fans heckle Staal when he was writhing in agony on the ice. Follow that with how awful the Euro fans have been after the win towards Canada and our fans, I'm pretty disappointed with how many have carried themselves. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:28 PM
M Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
I was going to say, he would look great in our bottom six. I know he had a training camp tryout with Atlanta a couple years ago, but is he looking at coming back to NA now?
I have no idea. He is in KHL right now working his ass off. He has always had the will and spirit to be a great player, but it is the last 2-3 years he has begun to get it all together.

In Atlanta he played a couple of games with the Wolves but got tired of it and split for KHL. I think he would need a one-way deal and a almost granted place in the NHL to come back to NA.

M Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Ruff really mismanaged Hall in a monumental way. I'm shocked at how little Hall got to play in this tournament. Hall gets benched while a puck hog, turnover machine like Duchene gets free reign.

A little off topic, but it was pretty gross watching the Swedish fans heckle Staal when he was writhing in agony on the ice. Follow that with how awful the Euro fans have been after the win towards Canada and our fans, I'm pretty disappointed with how many have carried themselves. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
The celebrations after shootout wins in elimination scenarios always rub me the wrong way as well. We've benefited from it in the past (Eberle at the World Juniors) but that doesn't make it any better. Shootouts have no place in elimination games. Leave that **** in soccer.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:37 PM
waffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post

fear not.. we will take care of them for ya..

sincerely,

The United States of America

waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
How selfish is that? Grow up. They lost because they played much, much worse. No single coaching fault here. SWE wont go far in the tourni and Canada played to their level.
I'm sure there were better options than Ladd, Read, Simmonds on both Top 6 and PP...

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I've never seen fewer scoring chances from 70 shots on net.. it's like international sized ice turns everybody into Smyth or Paajarvi; guys just shoot from the wing because it's too hard to get to the middle of the ice when it's that size.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
I've never seen fewer scoring chances from 70 shots on net.. it's like international sized ice turns everybody into Smyth or Paajarvi; guys just shoot from the wing because it's too hard to get to the middle of the ice when it's that size.
Yeah, the World Championships are bizarro hockey in a lot of ways. Guys like Patrick O'Sullivan routinely rip it up.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:21 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

All I have to say is Canada is in big trouble for 2014. They will not do well on international ice with no goaltending.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
doubledown99

I complained about Duchene earlier in the thread. I said at the time tht he has unreal speed and skill but horrible vision and IQ. He doesn't utilize his line mates very well and has tunnel vision

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:28 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
All I have to say is Canada is in big trouble for 2014. They will not do well on international ice with no goaltending.
I'd be pretty comfortable with Luongo in net

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'd be pretty comfortable with Luongo in net
At this point so would I.

The international ice will still be a problem though. It's odd how people go on about the skill and speed of it all, yet we see some of the most skilled and fastest players in the world continue to get shut down by Switzerland on big ice.

A lack of experience on a different sized rink continues to seem like a fairly healthy handicap and just wears away at any interest I might have had.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I'm sure there were better options than Ladd, Read, Simmonds on both Top 6 and PP...
Those guys all have decent playoff experience under their belt. Can you say the same about Hall?

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Here's an article illustrating how poorly Hall was utilized in this tournament.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6098

Quote:
Those guys all have decent playoff experience under their belt. Can you say the same about Hall?
That doesn't mean **** in a tournament like this.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ace View Post
We still beat you and a NHL reject in Fredrik Pettersson hit the final nail in the coffin on a overrated Mike Smith!
It was a gutsy shot by Pettersson but I still hate that it ended like that.

Losing in sudden death overtime is tough but it's team-based. Getting eliminated abruptly like that when it comes down to the goalie and an individual shooter sucks. The shootout has no place in medal rounds or playoff scenarios. It's an abomination.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Brewster

Man, what an amazing experience our young guys had playing on such a wonderfully cohesive and successful team!

Seriously, what a horrible performance.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:

Although I would say neither the CHL or NHL have any relevance to an IIHF tournament.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote