HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Offseason Protein and Training

Old
05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 323
Offseason Protein and Training

So I've been reading a lot of workout programs that NHLers and pros do and I plan on mimicking those this summer. Jarome Iginla, for example, has some protein powder in his diet for breakfast and a drink before he goes to bed. I'm 17 and playing junior A next season and wondering if I should be adding protein into my diet as well. If so, what are some good brands to buy? I know the common ones of Whey and Muscle Milk but it is basically personal preference? As far as workouts, I'm curious to know what are some things you may suggest. I know the basics of sprints, deadliest and all that but wondering if there's maybe some others that are helpful. Thanks

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

vCash: 500
Protein should already be in your diet as you get it from lots of foods: meat, milk, peanut butter, etc.. I usually drink a shake right after working out, be that a workout program or hockey.

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Ozz

Protein is only part of a nutritional plan. As stated, it's in food. It's simply a (macro)nutrient.

Take the time and effort to learn about proper athletic nutrition instead of just "taking protein", or you'll end up looking (no offense, just sayin' the obvious) like any other goof out there who just "takes protein" and does nothing else for himself as far as a proper nutrition plan is concerned.

That's advice coming from someone who's been a hockey player-turned-bodybuilder-turned-hockey player. I've also put in some time as a sports nutritionist through the years though have moved on to bigger and better things. Case in point, learn your body and how to feed it. Supplements only supplement your nutritional intake.

edit: a better focus would be on what your goals are. Certainly protein will most always be useful, but if you're (for instance) expecting to add some serious size/weight based on a couple shakes per day or so, then that's where most people find their issues. They expect magic, as if such a case existed or it were as simple as that the gym wouldn't be full of people who never see progress. Anyway, what'cha looking to get out of it?

For a quick answer, the best thing you can do is just eat, clean healthy foods, and a lot of them at that. You'll get more out of that than just a protein supplement. And FWIW the "weight gainer" supplements are just calories (which you could otherwise get from food) crammed into a powdery mix to make it easier to consume. IF you ate the same amount of calories at a protein/carbs/fat ratio similar to what's found in those things, you'd see the same results. That said, I don't necessarily feel they're bad because of this; Only that they're not necessary at all. In a pinch, to get over a hurdle, to help with a killer schedule, etc. are all fine enough reasons to bring something like this into the mix. One thing I'll recommend though is that you'll do yourself far, far, far more benefit if you put some effort into eating high amounts of calories from solid, nutritious foods and "teaching" your body to be able to physically eat it. Drinking them is so simple, but actually eating those numbers of calories is another feat. Not only are whole foods better for you as a whole, but once you're off a weight/muscle gain kick it'll help a lot with satiety and not relying on drinks which leave you feeling hungry and so forth.

Last edited by Ozz: 05-16-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:43 PM
jordanking87

do a search...lots of info on this topic here

and here...
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/

jordanking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Are you skinny?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Are you skinny?
No. I have a pretty solid weight for a hockey player of my age

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you're a good weight I wouldn't change anything. You're already doing a good job balancing your nutrition with your body's needs. Don't worry about what other guys are doing.

Can you ask your coach about an offseason workout program? It's a lot more effective to work with someone directly than to get advice on the internet. I mean, I could give you a whole bunch of ideas but I have no idea if it would be right for you. Some guys need to get stronger and should lift weights, some guys need to get leaner and should do more cardio and interval training, some guys need to get more explosive and should do power lifts and sprints, etc.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
If you're active you should take a protein powder. Your diet should consist of lots of protein anyway, but whey protein powder gets to your muscles faster. It's always a good idea to have a shake after training or hockey. I'd recommend Myofusion Elite.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Get protein powder, you're going to want it both this offseason and if you do play Junior A. If I remember correctly in Junior you can get away with not being the biggest guy on the ice as most people aren't very big and usually sit around the 6'0 170-180 mark so as long as you are in that weight class (adjusting to whatever your height is) then I would focus on skills more than weight lifting.

Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
So I've been reading a lot of workout programs that NHLers and pros do and I plan on mimicking those this summer. Jarome Iginla, for example, has some protein powder in his diet for breakfast and a drink before he goes to bed. I'm 17 and playing junior A next season and wondering if I should be adding protein into my diet as well. If so, what are some good brands to buy? I know the common ones of Whey and Muscle Milk but it is basically personal preference? As far as workouts, I'm curious to know what are some things you may suggest. I know the basics of sprints, deadliest and all that but wondering if there's maybe some others that are helpful. Thanks

If you are serious about all this I believe I can help. I have done years of research, training and practice in training and nutrition. I continue to do so. Private MSG me for more details but here is a bit of what you should know...

NUTRITION
The most important aspect of every day living, improving and training. What you put into your body, you will get out. Over time you should try to get to know as much as possible about yourself. What vitamins and minerals your suffice in and what you need more of. You may even be allergic to certain foods and continue to eat with no direct issue. You know how many athletes are starting to realize that there allergic to gluten and never realized how much it impacted their performance!

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is be as natural as possible. Doesnt mean you have to go 110% organic. But be careful. Look for foods with the least amount of ingredients. Know what your getting from each one and understand why the company put it in. Most of the time its due to costs. They rather use a certain ingredient to cut costs even if it means it has some health risks.

I will have no issue talking PVT more about this via MSG but real simple. Its about Protein, Carbs and Fats. We once thought high carbs meant more energy but its not quite like that anymore especially the type of carbs we use now. The more intense your workouts are, the more fats you need. There is a fine line between healthy fats and bad fats. Nuts, Fish, Olives all great fats needed for your productivity. Dont stray from a whole egg simply because you heard the inside had high cholesterol. For many people, including myself it meant HIGH GOOD CHOLEST. Dont stray away from whole milk because it has more fat. Whole milk also has a lot of nutrition and vitamins that are gone through processes to make it less fat and appeal to American markets to lose weight.

Be diverse in what you eat. Every food as its benefits and its issues. So be diverse. For protein, look into Osterich burgers and buffalo burgers and bison rather than always having chicken and steak. For carbs, understand how white potatoes are far less superior than sweet potatoes and how green leafs can give you a high amount of healthy carbs for long lasting energy. Understand that sliced bread has a ton of sugar added to it for the soft feel. We do not eat enough veggies. We eat a banana for potassium but dont realize Kale has even more potassium with half the sugar! Have a banana one day, have a kiwi another day. Dont drink OJ instead of eating an orange if you dont have too.

Dont take supplements if you dont need to. I understand some people need to take medicine or supplements. But try you best to stay away from them. Nothing is better than the original. And if you need to, then try to go for plant based. What does your body do when you digest something that is foreign inside. Do you honestly believe all multi vitamin pills are efficient. If you have an INTENSE training schedule. Its fine to add in some protein shakes. Be cautious on ingredients. 90% of that industry is BS. FDA cannot control the process of there products and you wouldnt believe what is inside some of the biggest names!

TRAINING
Be diverse as well. But understand what your limiting factors are and try to address them

The soviets during their reign and still today , believe that cross training is the best way to improve an athlete. Crossfit may have its issues in not always addressing a persons needs, a persons health, a persons form but the MAIN IDEA of Crossfit is great.

Execution is just bad on a small scale.

Crossfit is cross sectional training involving olympic weight lifting, gymnastics and plyometrics. EVERYTHING to improve ones overall athletics. Will it make you a better hockey player directly. NO. Will it improve your fitness. Yes. And thus can help in your sports. They focus on balance, and explosion and intensity. In hockey, thats the perfect work out.

I dont do Crossfit yet but i do steal a lot of their work outs. Basically everything Soviet athletes do especially their hockey players. Look at old Soviet work outs.

Focus on leg explosion, core work, balance and flexibility. Though hockey players didnt run 5 miles in a game, they believed a simple jog improved hockey performance. I believe it too. Do sprints one day, do jogs another

I CAN GO ON AND ON AND ON ON AND ON. I know how to even implement it all into your needs for your age and your specs. I have no issue talking more but cant do so on here... and no time too lol

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Protein is only part of a nutritional plan. As stated, it's in food. It's simply a (macro)nutrient.

Take the time and effort to learn about proper athletic nutrition instead of just "taking protein", or you'll end up looking (no offense, just sayin' the obvious) like any other goof out there who just "takes protein" and does nothing else for himself as far as a proper nutrition plan is concerned.

That's advice coming from someone who's been a hockey player-turned-bodybuilder-turned-hockey player. I've also put in some time as a sports nutritionist through the years though have moved on to bigger and better things. Case in point, learn your body and how to feed it. Supplements only supplement your nutritional intake.

edit: a better focus would be on what your goals are. Certainly protein will most always be useful, but if you're (for instance) expecting to add some serious size/weight based on a couple shakes per day or so, then that's where most people find their issues. They expect magic, as if such a case existed or it were as simple as that the gym wouldn't be full of people who never see progress. Anyway, what'cha looking to get out of it?

For a quick answer, the best thing you can do is just eat, clean healthy foods, and a lot of them at that. You'll get more out of that than just a protein supplement. And FWIW the "weight gainer" supplements are just calories (which you could otherwise get from food) crammed into a powdery mix to make it easier to consume. IF you ate the same amount of calories at a protein/carbs/fat ratio similar to what's found in those things, you'd see the same results. That said, I don't necessarily feel they're bad because of this; Only that they're not necessary at all. In a pinch, to get over a hurdle, to help with a killer schedule, etc. are all fine enough reasons to bring something like this into the mix. One thing I'll recommend though is that you'll do yourself far, far, far more benefit if you put some effort into eating high amounts of calories from solid, nutritious foods and "teaching" your body to be able to physically eat it. Drinking them is so simple, but actually eating those numbers of calories is another feat. Not only are whole foods better for you as a whole, but once you're off a weight/muscle gain kick it'll help a lot with satiety and not relying on drinks which leave you feeling hungry and so forth.
I was the hockey player turned bodybuilder and now a hybrid again these days

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
I was the hockey player turned bodybuilder and now a hybrid again these days
My legs still wonder WTF happened

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote