HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

WC: Oilers at the World Championships

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 05:59 PM
  #626
GreatKeith
Registered User
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,135
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Those guys all have decent playoff experience under their belt. Can you say the same about Hall?
Only Ladd has anything significant. The other two haven't been past the second round.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
  #627
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,028
vCash: 500
Too bad

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:08 PM
  #628
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,794
vCash: 500
Random thought, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing over Nicklas Danielsson as a depth dman on the Oilers (pending availability because of his KHL contract).

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
  #629
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Random thought, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing over Nicklas Danielsson as a depth dman on the Oilers (pending availability because of his KHL contract).
I think this is a great type of tournament for pro-scouting. He did look impressive as did Peterssen.


Last edited by Seedling: 05-17-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:30 AM
  #630
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Ruff really mismanaged Hall in a monumental way. I'm shocked at how little Hall got to play in this tournament. Hall gets benched while a puck hog, turnover machine like Duchene gets free reign.

A little off topic, but it was pretty gross watching the Swedish fans heckle Staal when he was writhing in agony on the ice. Follow that with how awful the Euro fans have been after the win towards Canada and our fans, I'm pretty disappointed with how many have carried themselves. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Dude, that's a really offensive thing to say. You obviously were not paying attention at all. I don't want to be the "pissed off poster" here but it's really difficult.

The booing had nothing to do with Staal. It was first a home crowd reaction against the penalty and secondly, it became louder, when Edler was brought out of the penalty box and out of the game.

Now, if you did pay attention you would have noticed that first of all the booing went down once people realized it was bad, secondly the crowed cheered him when he got helped off the ice.

I guess the problem might have been that the booing/cheering went up and down but I think it was pretty damn obvious that no one was booing an injured player.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:41 AM
  #631
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Random thought, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing over Nicklas Danielsson as a depth dman on the Oilers (pending availability because of his KHL contract).
He's forward with the ability to play defense (mainly on the PP). I don't think he'd be a good fit here.

Pettersson would be nice to have on a 4th line although I don't know if he can translate his game to NA (last time he tried it didn't work out). The problem is that he does not want to play in the AHL and he (allegedly) does not want play 3rd/4th line... So there's that.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:53 AM
  #632
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
At least this tourney waned me on wanting Ruff as head coach.
Never. He did not make past first round of play offs

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:56 AM
  #633
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Ruff really mismanaged Hall in a monumental way. I'm shocked at how little Hall got to play in this tournament. Hall gets benched while a puck hog, turnover machine like Duchene gets free reign.

A little off topic, but it was pretty gross watching the Swedish fans heckle Staal when he was writhing in agony on the ice. Follow that with how awful the Euro fans have been after the win towards Canada and our fans, I'm pretty disappointed with how many have carried themselves. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Don't generalize. They were Swedes.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:02 AM
  #634
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Dude, that's a really offensive thing to say. You obviously were not paying attention at all. I don't want to be the "pissed off poster" here but it's really difficult.

The booing had nothing to do with Staal. It was first a home crowd reaction against the penalty and secondly, it became louder, when Edler was brought out of the penalty box and out of the game.

Now, if you did pay attention you would have noticed that first of all the booing went down once people realized it was bad, secondly the crowed cheered him when he got helped off the ice.

I guess the problem might have been that the booing/cheering went up and down but I think it was pretty damn obvious that no one was booing an injured player.
You speak for 10000+ fans, he wasn't bashing your nationality. He was commenting on a negative reaction when clearly there was a severly injured player, I thought it was distasteful as well, although european crowds are generally fairly rowdy...which I typically don't have an issue with. But don't expect us to believe that you know the intention/mood of the fans in that game.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:06 AM
  #635
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Don't generalize. They were Swedes.
There were a lot of Finns chirping, as well as many whom you couldn't see their country. It wasn't all Swedes.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:13 AM
  #636
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,740
vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Dude, that's a really offensive thing to say. You obviously were not paying attention at all. I don't want to be the "pissed off poster" here but it's really difficult.

The booing had nothing to do with Staal. It was first a home crowd reaction against the penalty and secondly, it became louder, when Edler was brought out of the penalty box and out of the game.

Now, if you did pay attention you would have noticed that first of all the booing went down once people realized it was bad, secondly the crowed cheered him when he got helped off the ice.

I guess the problem might have been that the booing/cheering went up and down but I think it was pretty damn obvious that no one was booing an injured player.
Seems like a lot of people are hearing what they want to hear. Those people were going bananas as soon as Staal hit the ice, and all throughout his agonizing gestures. You can't sit there and tell me that everyone in the stands knew there was a major penalty and a misconduct as soon as there was contact. I can't help it if you're offended, it is what it is.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:23 AM
  #637
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
You speak for 10000+ fans, he wasn't bashing your nationality. He was commenting on a negative reaction when clearly there was a severly injured player, I thought it was distasteful as well, although european crowds are generally fairly rowdy...which I typically don't have an issue with. But don't expect us to believe that you know the intention/mood of the fans in that game.
That's not the point though, what is important in this is that the crowd cheered when Staal was helped off the ice. That's the exact opposite of heckling a player. I am not pretending to know anything, I am just saying that if you claim that fans were heckling Staal, then you were not paying attention to what was actually going on because they did not heckle him.


I also had a "home team reaction" at first (booing the referees for changing the 2 min to 5 min GM), but then calmed down realizing it was the right call. I think that's kind of normal, and it has nothing to do with the other player, Staal in this case.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:32 AM
  #638
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Seems like a lot of people are hearing what they want to hear. Those people were going bananas as soon as Staal hit the ice, and all throughout his agonizing gestures. You can't sit there and tell me that everyone in the stands knew there was a major penalty and a misconduct as soon as there was contact. I can't help it if you're offended, it is what it is.
I am not offended anymore, I had my morning coffee so I am back to being zen. I don't think I said that (if I did it was not intentional).

It was obviously a good call but home crowd fans will boo the refs for calling any penalty in a WC quarter final on home ice. Especially against a team like Canada were we kind of expect you to score on each PP.


By the way, if you do think that they were heckling Staal, what were they cheering for from 1:12 to about 1:25 in the video below (some in the crowd giving standing ovations)? Was it a coincidence that that was the time when Staal was helped off the ice? And why would they go back to booing after that, when Staal was no longer present on the ice?



Last edited by LaGu: 05-17-2013 at 05:29 AM.
LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:49 AM
  #639
Ragan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Petterssons shootout reminded me of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGxP8v5_Fg&t=2m36s

Ragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:47 AM
  #640
Meanashell11
Registered User
 
Meanashell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: connecticut
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Those guys all have decent playoff experience under their belt. Can you say the same about Hall?
Don't remember seeing them in the top 10 scorers in the NHL. Must have missed them. Also, how many Memorial Cup MVP trophies do they have? It will always be something with Hall from is critics. Once he has 20 playoff games it will be "well how many Stanley Cups does he have?" Then when he has a Cup it will be, "but he's only won once."

Taylor Hall has won and performed at every level he has played and will win a Cup at the NHL level. Ruff has won jack **** his entire career and had one decent run as a coach a decade ago.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:07 AM
  #641
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,611
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Petterssons shootout reminded me of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGxP8v5_Fg&t=2m36s
It was an incredibly intelligent thing to do to a goalie using Benoit Allaire's technique (i.e. play everything deep in your crease and only push forward into the puck).

If Stamkos was smart enough to take notes he will start making goalies like Lundqvist and Smith look very bad in shootouts.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
  #642
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 50
Dirty Swedes!


Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:34 AM
  #643
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Only Ladd has anything significant. The other two haven't been past the second round.
So no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Don't remember seeing them in the top 10 scorers in the NHL. Must have missed them. Also, how many Memorial Cup MVP trophies do they have? It will always be something with Hall from is critics. Once he has 20 playoff games it will be "well how many Stanley Cups does he have?" Then when he has a Cup it will be, "but he's only won once."

Taylor Hall has won and performed at every level he has played and will win a Cup at the NHL level. Ruff has won jack **** his entire career and had one decent run as a coach a decade ago.
I agree that Ruff isn't the answer. I also think Taylor Hall is the best Oiler and one of the best forces in the Western Conference. However, top 10 in a shortened season isn't a big deal. Top 3... for sure. Memorial Cup? We are talking World Championships... you know, hockey that MEN play. Not boys. Big difference.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:52 AM
  #644
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
That's not the point though, what is important in this is that the crowd cheered when Staal was helped off the ice. That's the exact opposite of heckling a player. I am not pretending to know anything, I am just saying that if you claim that fans were heckling Staal, then you were not paying attention to what was actually going on because they did not heckle him.


I also had a "home team reaction" at first (booing the referees for changing the 2 min to 5 min GM), but then calmed down realizing it was the right call. I think that's kind of normal, and it has nothing to do with the other player, Staal in this case.

The behavior was deplorable.

I have no idea how a fan in attendence could not notice from the word go that a player on the ice was seriously injured. On this side of the pond its considered decency to have that be the central concern when a player is seriously hurt. Usually a hush and worried buzz fills the crowd when this happens. To be instead busy jeering the refs and jeering a Canadian player down smacks of DB's run amuck. Not a pretty sight and the fans in attendance should be ashamed.

Make no mistake, this reaction from the fans was because they were playing Canada. Because it was an irrelevant, loathsome, Canadian player down on the ice. Right?

Show concern for the player first and foremost, regardless of team, flag or country.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
  #645
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Don't remember seeing them in the top 10 scorers in the NHL. Must have missed them. Also, how many Memorial Cup MVP trophies do they have? It will always be something with Hall from is critics. Once he has 20 playoff games it will be "well how many Stanley Cups does he have?" Then when he has a Cup it will be, "but he's only won once."

Taylor Hall has won and performed at every level he has played and will win a Cup at the NHL level. Ruff has won jack **** his entire career and had one decent run as a coach a decade ago.
Been saying this throughout the thread. In response to a chorus of "Lindy Ruff, he the man, he teaching with benchings, thank gawd he bench Hall"

Ruff is just mailing it in. Has been for several years now. Not sure why people are so sold on his body of work. He's been flat out useless behind the bench for years.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:58 AM
  #646
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
So no.



I agree that Ruff isn't the answer. I also think Taylor Hall is the best Oiler and one of the best forces in the Western Conference. However, top 10 in a shortened season isn't a big deal. Top 3... for sure. Memorial Cup? We are talking World Championships... you know, hockey that MEN play. Not boys. Big difference.
The big difference is that in a World Junior tourney or Memorial cup its the best players playing.

This is a watered down tournament and one of the best players on the team, and a topten scorer in the best, most predominate league in the world, containing the lionshare of best players in the world, hardly got icetime.

Lets pose a question here. If Hall is a topten NHL scorer for the Swedes, US, Finns, Germany, Czechs, Swiss, France would he get mega icetime?

Sure he would.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
  #647
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The behavior was deplorable.

I have no idea how a fan in attendence could not notice from the word go that a player on the ice was seriously injured. On this side of the pond its considered decency to have that be the central concern when a player is seriously hurt. Usually a hush and worried buzz fills the crowd when this happens. To be instead busy jeering the refs and jeering a Canadian player down smacks of DB's run amuck. Not a pretty sight and the fans in attendance should be ashamed.

Make no mistake, this reaction from the fans was because they were playing Canada. Because it was an irrelevant, loathsome, Canadian player down on the ice. Right?

Show concern for the player first and foremost, regardless of team, flag or country.
If you want to call out the fans for not showing enough respect (I guess it can be called respect) for an injured player that's a different thing imo. I don't think it was that bad actually in that I believe most fans quieted down fairly quickly (after a short time you can actually start hearing individual shouts instead of the collective). That said it was certainly not appropriate so I am not going to go on about arguing otherwise.

However this is not the same as saying that the crowd are heckling the actual player on the ice. That is very different thing and much worse imo.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
  #648
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
If you want to call out the fans for not showing enough respect (I guess it can be called respect) for an injured player that's a different thing imo. I don't think it was that bad actually in that I believe most fans quieted down fairly quickly (after a short time you can actually start hearing individual shouts instead of the collective). That said it was certainly not appropriate so I am not going to go on about arguing otherwise.

However this is not the same as saying that the crowd are heckling the actual player on the ice. That is very different thing and much worse imo.
Canadian National clubs for whatever reason are generally regarded with contempt in Sweden. I am stating that is part of the dynamic which contributed to the woeful disregard for an obviously seriously injured Canadian player writhing on the ice. That he is a Canadian player, playing in a game against Sweden, in Sweden, is part of that dynamic, it shouldn't be.

Again in NA when a man goes down seriously hurt that is always the primary focus of the crowd. Not jeering.

Of course this being a Canadian player down on the ice in serious pain meant the crowd didn't have to (in their minds) show immediate concern or compassion. Because thats the last thought that would be held out for a Canadian player in Sweden.


The conduct of the crowd revealed contempt.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:30 AM
  #649
Meanashell11
Registered User
 
Meanashell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: connecticut
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
So no.



I agree that Ruff isn't the answer. I also think Taylor Hall is the best Oiler and one of the best forces in the Western Conference. However, top 10 in a shortened season isn't a big deal. Top 3... for sure. Memorial Cup? We are talking World Championships... you know, hockey that MEN play. Not boys. Big difference.
My point is he has been a winner and a leader at every level. Ruff had a good 6 weeks nearly ten years ago. That's it. Ruff is not the answer no matter what the question is other than "who coached the Sabres to a Stanley Cup final ten years ago?" And by the way, the Memorial Cup is a lot tougher to win than this diluted **** show they call the World Hockey Championships. Someone said it above, WHC is slightly higher level than the All Star Game.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:36 AM
  #650
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The behavior was deplorable.

I have no idea how a fan in attendence could not notice from the word go that a player on the ice was seriously injured. On this side of the pond its considered decency to have that be the central concern when a player is seriously hurt. Usually a hush and worried buzz fills the crowd when this happens. To be instead busy jeering the refs and jeering a Canadian player down smacks of DB's run amuck. Not a pretty sight and the fans in attendance should be ashamed.

Make no mistake, this reaction from the fans was because they were playing Canada. Because it was an irrelevant, loathsome, Canadian player down on the ice. Right?

Show concern for the player first and foremost, regardless of team, flag or country.

Oh come on. It's just a difference in culture, european crowds are more emotional and rowdy. Has nothing to do with a lack of respect or people wanting guys to get hurt. And it has nothing with sweden playing canada.
If you watch the SEL playoffs you'll see similar reactions all the time, the crowd always booing the ref or calls the ref makes no matter how bad the hit. And then applauding the guy getting stretched off. It's just more emotion and much less conduct and unwritten rules in european sports than across the pond.

I think it's this difference that's also causing all the ridiculous commotion after Yakupovs celebrations. I also recall there was a lot of talk about Anisimov "shooting" Garon after scoring a few years ago, over here there might have been some reaction on the ice just from guys getting angry over getting scored on but most likely noone would have been bothered. It's sort of ok to rub it in after you've scored over here.

I've also been to NHL games when the loudest chants from the crowd was "hit him in the head" when Sidney Crosby was on the ice ofc referring to his many concussions so, you know, that conduct only go so far.

To bring this back on topic. I don't disagree that Ruffs coaching wasn't up to par and hasn't been for years. Considering the roster he had losing to a swedish team that basically was the Sedins+Louie, Enroth, an underwhelming Landeskog and some scrubs is a massive failure.
Having said that I think the defending of Halls performance is a bit out of hand, he didn't look too good out there, a bit sloppy, his positioning was not good. Yeah he put up points this past season and is starting to break out as a star in the NHL but you're only as good as your last shift and his shifts this tournament was so so from what I saw.
I liked Hall's season, he didn't just put up points, he took this team by the balls and brought them to wins on several occasions. However he still has loads to learn before he's an absolute top player in this league and he's still inconsistent. I hope and think he will get there, the success of this Oiler team depends on it, but he'll need to put down the work to get there, getting benched in the WC might actually help him in that regard. The idea of earning minutes is kind of a new concept for him considering how bad this Oiler team has been since he arrived.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.