HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1 Thoughts

Old
05-16-2013, 08:55 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
Ericsson is easily our second best defenseman.
Which tells you everything you need to know about our chances in this series.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:56 PM
we like our team

yeah it would be best if ericsson was our #3 or 4

we like our team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Memo for Saturday:

1. The boys need to come to play
2. Babcock needs to read the situation and make adjustments, as he did after game 5 of the Ducks series.

This is NOT over!

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Which tells you everything you need to know about our chances in this series.
Honestly, for about 50-60% of the season I thought he was our best d-man. Then when he got paired up with Kronwall his play declined. But in the last few weeks of the season and the 1st round. They were a very good pairing. Last night they were pretty bad.

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:16 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Honestly, for about 50-60% of the season I thought he was our best d-man. Then when he got paired up with Kronwall his play declined. But in the last few weeks of the season and the 1st round. They were a very good pairing. Last night they were pretty bad.
When this team was a contender it was built around the premise of a strong D, for 10+ years the Wings tried to have Lidstrom + at least one other upper echelon D-man and right now we probably have *no* upper echelon D-man.

I think Ericsson has been better than many expected but also not very good, Kronwall has been worse than many expected and slipped out of the very good range. End result is a pretty meh D...and it's not like we suddenly got a hugely improved forward corps to make up the difference. Only an other worldly white hot Howard could do that

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:11 PM
RedWinger10

They just need to
1) forget about game 1
2) Let the D know that they need to play great to keep it even
3) the big guys need to be big
4) the kids need to outwork their kids
5) When \/THIS GUY\/ is playing awesome we can beat anyone

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:13 AM
14ari13

Special teams Battle lost again. The Hawks 1 for 3, the Wings 0 for 3.

Hawks gameplan was simple. Skate hard and the fatigue Wings after the 7 games series will not be able to keep up.

When the score was 2-1 Howard make a mistake not freezing the puck and they scored.

Howard/Wings have been pretty bad in the 3rd period in the playoffs.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:40 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
Pens fan coming in peace. Saw this on ******, just thought I'd share in case some of you haven't seen it:

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http://i.im...cnkbA&start=91

awesome, thanks for posting it. i don't think i've heard that in about 15 years.

i hope someone posted it in the photoshop thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsForPresident View Post
I realize it's 2013. He's still the worst. He's the worst most overpaid defenseman in the league. How does he get $3.25 million with a NTC? Horrible.
ericsson is not even close to the worst player on the team. he's also not even the most overpaid d-man on the team (quincey).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I thought the first period was pretty good, actually. I don't buy the "unprepared" argument because of that fact - they were right there toe to toe in the 1st and actually looked like they were controlling the play for a good portion of the period. They made too many turnovers, but otherwise they were holding up admirably.

It looked in that period like it could be possible that the Wings could push the Hawks around and make things much more difficult for them. It actually crossed my mind that the Hawks looked like those old 90s Wing teams that wanted to play tic tac toe so badly that they'd play themselves right out of series they had no business losing just by getting too cute.

Then the 2nd period happened. It's an absolute miracle they didn't give up 10 goals in that period. It looked like they were trying to give up 10 goals in that period. They lost the physical edge that got them through the 1st period and the turnovers went from occasional to constant.

The dam finally broke in the 3rd.

If they can play every period like the 1st, they will win a game or two in this series and could theoretically take things to the wire. If they play two periods a night like the 1st and one period a night like the 2nd or 3rd, they're not going to win a single game. It's going to take that 1st period effort every period, every shift, every second.

It's the only way to beat a team that's much, much better than you are - you beat them every second until the other team starts wondering if maybe you really are better than they are. Last year's Kings, the 06 Oilers, the 03 Ducks, etc. They all managed to do it. I don't think this bunch has it in them - maybe with Helm and DeKeyser, but not as currently constructed. But we'll find out for sure.
big difference between 1st and 2nd+3rd was chicago's level of play.

chicago was not very aggressive in 1st, and were generally sort of flat. similar to game 1 vs minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
agree

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Soft Rock Renegade

Ericsson gets at least 4.5 if he hits free agency now

Soft Rock Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Chicago is one of the few teams where the cliche' "we have to play 60 minutes" applies to.

Detroit could be up 3-0 after the first, and lose 6-3. They're not going to be able to get ahead, and meltdown in the third and get away with it this time around.

But that would require them to actually get a lead first

Kronwalled55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:32 AM
TKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Chicago is one of the few teams where the cliche' "we have to play 60 minutes" applies to.

Detroit could be up 3-0 after the first, and lose 6-3. They're not going to be able to get ahead, and meltdown in the third and get away with it this time around.

But that would require them to actually get a lead first
Agree 100% and would add, that the cliche usually comes with a "not 40 or 50 minutes".

In the Hawks case, that would be not 58 or 59 minutes. Over the last few years I have been to a number of games where the opponent does a text book, job of playing positionally sound D and keeping guys like Sharp and Kane on the outside, only to have it blow up in literally one shift.

I know thats hockey, but the Hawks manage to pull it off, better than anyone.

TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:52 AM
RedWingsForPresident

Chicago is a team you can't give help to, they don't need with how good they are.

Defensive turnovers killed us last game and Brendan Smith had about 15 of them it seemed like.

Detroit needs to keep winning draws and hope that all the kinks are out of our defense and if not, they are in for a very short series

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Yemack

after watching a game every two day in rd1, this feels like an eternity. Hopefully the rest works out well for Wings.
I dont think 3rd period of last game is an indication of what's going to happen in this series. Both teams were fairly even for about half the game trading chances. The final score was 4-1 but it was basically a 2-1 game if you take out the EN goal and the mishap goal behind the net. Given how much the game was tilted, I think Wings did some good job in our zone defending. Definitely could have won more battles though. I think ice began tilting when we started losing all the battle.

Hawks were quicker to the puck on many occasions. Wings looked a bit out of gas and lost composure as result of that. They made a lot of ill advised swings and most of them missed. I think Wings definitely could have done hell a lot better if they had their composure at least. In order to Wings to win this series, they can’t play that sloppy like last game. They have to win battles. period.

Anyway Hawks must be feeling pretty good about themselves right now so it’s safe to say they are going to come out with some swagger. I think keeping our composure and being prepared for little push at the start will be the key early.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote