HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
They also signed Jonathan Cromptom QB - Tennessee. This is a very good signing in my opinion. I've watched this guy play a bit before his draft year. I hope he gets enough reps to have a chance because he could push Nicholls if you ask me.
They apparently have 5 QBs under contract, I think the #3 spot isn't Joseph's guaranteed.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Just curious from one fan to another and I know you've been frustrated and afairc considering whether you would continue to attend. What has got you turned around and prepared to continue on.

I'm saying that in friendly terms and from the perspective of an ardent longterm fan that after decades has lost faith in this product. Somehow, my interest in the team is evaporating. Not that I want it to. I just don't have any hope in where the team is at. \

I'll probably end up going but right now this offseason I can't recall a time when I had less interest in the Esks.

It really is long past show me time for what has become a pathetic franchise.
to tell the truth it's because of my friends.
as we all get older and have other commitments, going to a game together is one of the few evenings we can have a guys night out. (and one where the wives don't complain) So we renewed to be able to get together in the fresh air, people watch, and hang out together for a couple of drinks.
the football now comes after that. we've been to so many poorly played football games over the last 5 or 6 years that we expect nothing but crap from the team and are pleasantly surprised when the esks do play a solid game.
( pretty sad that the flagship of the league has sunk to that level)

I like football, like seeing it live (I've learned so much about the game by being able to watch where the ball isn't. tv games are so limiting.), doing so with friends, and am only committed to 10 nights a season. it helps that the product is still fairly affordable.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Typical Canadian Football League silliness.

Quote:
Jim Toth ‏@JimTothCJOB 11m
Just texted with Alex Brink, stunned the #Argos cut him 3 weeks after working him out & signing him. #CFL #Bombers

Old
05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Typical Canadian Football League silliness.
The only silliness is why Alex Brink would even be in anybodies radar. Absolutely hopeless QB.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:06 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Just curious from one fan to another and I know you've been frustrated and afairc considering whether you would continue to attend. What has got you turned around and prepared to continue on.

I'm saying that in friendly terms and from the perspective of an ardent longterm fan that after decades has lost faith in this product. Somehow, my interest in the team is evaporating. Not that I want it to. I just don't have any hope in where the team is at. \

I'll probably end up going but right now this offseason I can't recall a time when I had less interest in the Esks.

It really is long past show me time for what has become a pathetic franchise.
The Eskimos missed the playoffs in 1971- the first year I started regularly attending the games (as a 10 year old with my dad). They didn't miss again until 2006, racking up 10 Grey Cup championships along the way. Life events negatively affected my interest level for a few years during the 90's but the Eskimos never lost their status as the professional sports franchise I cared about the most. Also I kept going to the games, missing only 10 in the last 42 seasons. The team finally missing the playoffs in '06 was a blow to my happiness but not to my loyalty. I was a fan of neither Danny Maciocia or Eric Tillman but not following the green & gold was simply never an option for this die-hard.

My interest level going into the '13 season is extremely high. I really want to see the Hervey/Reed regime succeed even though I honestly have no idea if it will do so. Does this attitude qualify me as an incisive football analyst? No, but that's not what I was going for anyway.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
The Eskimos missed the playoffs in 1971- the first year I started regularly attending the games (as a 10 year old with my dad). They didn't miss again until 2006, racking up 10 Grey Cup championships along the way. Life events negatively affected my interest level for a few years during the 90's but the Eskimos never lost their status as the professional sports franchise I cared about the most. Also I kept going to the games, missing only 10 in the last 42 seasons. The team finally missing the playoffs in '06 was a blow to my happiness but not to my loyalty. I was a fan of neither Danny Maciocia or Eric Tillman but not following the green & gold was simply never an option for this die-hard.

My interest level going into the '13 season is extremely high. I really want to see the Hervey/Reed regime succeed even though I honestly have no idea if it will do so. Does this attitude qualify me as an incisive football analyst? No, but that's not what I was going for anyway.
My interest really only dropped when DM was on borrowed time and when they moved games to Wednesday or Thursday nights. As someone that was born roughly 10 years after your first game as a ten year old the Eskimos have always been more than just a game. It has been an event filled evening.

Either starting with some pops at the End Zone or on having a BBQ at a buddies or a super on a patio on whyte. It would then be 3 hours with watching football with a bunch of friends and running into more throughout the game. The night would then be topped off by going back to one of those 3 locations that we started at or somewhere else downtown or on whyte. Whether Eskimo football was good or bad, it's always been a night out with Friends/Family and to me nothing beats going to a game in July on a nice Friday night.

The great thing about going to an Eskimo game is you can go with anyone from someone that didn't know the football looked like Stewie Griffin's head, to a diehard who knows more about the players than the GM. The cost of the game just isn't something that is an obstacle when getting people out.

I'm more of a fan of the NHL, NFL, Boxing, MMA, but the atmosphere in Commonwealth Stadium is really an experience if you want it to be.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
to tell the truth it's because of my friends.
as we all get older and have other commitments, going to a game together is one of the few evenings we can have a guys night out. (and one where the wives don't complain) So we renewed to be able to get together in the fresh air, people watch, and hang out together for a couple of drinks.
the football now comes after that. we've been to so many poorly played football games over the last 5 or 6 years that we expect nothing but crap from the team and are pleasantly surprised when the esks do play a solid game.
( pretty sad that the flagship of the league has sunk to that level)

I like football, like seeing it live (I've learned so much about the game by being able to watch where the ball isn't. tv games are so limiting.), doing so with friends, and am only committed to 10 nights a season. it helps that the product is still fairly affordable.
Thanks, I'm just looking for reasons to kickstart my interest. Not sure why it is but last year was a real turn off for me. After all the unsuccessful years I was hoping to see the Eskimos play less conservative ball last year. I was greatly disappointed. Of course losing to the Argos of all clubs absolutely disgusted me. We could lose to the Stamps 5 times in a row and it wouldn't have the same impact. Like yourself, I suspect I'll go, but I'm not expecting much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post

I have a similar history with the club and I was an ardent Reed fan until last season. His performance, rants, one sided perspectives and bias were like seeing me standing on the sidelines kicking water coolers..

Its one thing to rant and lose some control on a messageboard. Completely another to do so in your field of employ and lose any objectivity re players.

Reeds handling of personnel last year was a disgrace. He would be all over some of the best players on the team while sending out dopes like Koch, the Center, on every down.

As for Hervey I'm not nearly as aware as a lot of you what the players are going to be like until they hit the turf here. I tend to never count chickens until I see what players looke like up here and how interested they are to be playing football up here. Years of attending training camps leads me to believe its not the player, its the attitude one comes with that makes the team.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:15 PM
joestevens29

Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 24s
BREAKING NEWS: #Esks sign non-import DB Shea Pierre and import RB Tracy Lampley and release import DL Shawn Lemon

http://www.esks.com/article/pierre-lampley-sign

Old
05-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks 24s
BREAKING NEWS: #Esks sign non-import DB Shea Pierre and import RB Tracy Lampley and release import DL Shawn Lemon

http://www.esks.com/article/pierre-lampley-sign
Wow, thought Lemon was quite good for us last year.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
joestevens29

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 7m
Eskimos signed a dude named Shea Pierre. Edmontonians of a certain vintage can't help but laugh over that one. Wouldn't you know, he's a DB

I missed that. Funny.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:50 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Eskimos signed a dude named Shea Pierre. Edmontonians of a certain vintage can't help but laugh over that one. Wouldn't you know, he's a DB

I missed that. Funny.
I noticed that. Chez Pierre still exists, I'm pretty sure.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Wow, thought Lemon was quite good for us last year.
Yep, its like a revolving door. No identification of talent, which players were helpful, which were not. This is like an expansion franchise going blind.

Quote:

I missed that. Funny.
lol

a DB as well haha

Old
05-22-2013, 03:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I noticed that. Chez Pierre still exists, I'm pretty sure.
Yes but the media has to play it off as if they had no idea it's still open. Can't tell the truth that they stop in everyday after work

Old
05-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Chooch

It still bothers me that we hired Kavis Reed of all coaches a few years back. Aside from his half time motivational speeches that people seem to love so much, why should he still be our head coach? I noticed our too many men penalties have been aggressively rising since he came

This season should be do or die for him.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

We'll see what he can do when he's not dealing with behind the scenes issues and having to be the de-facto general manager.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
We'll see what he can do when he's not dealing with behind the scenes issues and having to be the de-facto general manager.
This is claptrap stated after the fact for which there is zero substantiation. Likely just a rationalization propped up to explain his poor performance.

But heres the deal. If he was nibbling on both jobs he **** the bed in both and did neither well.

A guy named Hugh Campbell did both roles at one point in time and to great success.

The on field disorganization occurred because Reed did not prepare the team well and did not manage games well. He threw wrinkles into schemes and lineups that caused more confusion than benefit. For example his use of particular personnel for different types of plays was not well communicated and often with different personnel coming on the field.

Not communicating who the placekicker/punter actually was in a given day and inferring that they would read his mind is classic Reed non communication.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
This is claptrap stated after the fact for which there is zero substantiation. Likely just a rationalization propped up to explain his poor performance.

But heres the deal. If he was nibbling on both jobs he **** the bed in both and did neither well.

A guy named Hugh Campbell did both roles at one point in time and to great success.

The on field disorganization occurred because Reed did not prepare the team well and did not manage games well. He threw wrinkles into schemes and lineups that caused more confusion than benefit. For example his use of particular personnel for different types of plays was not well communicated and often with different personnel coming on the field.

Not communicating who the placekicker/punter actually was in a given day and inferring that they would read his mind is classic Reed non communication.
Agreed. It's amazing that Reed suddenly became the 'victim' of Tillman when he was in fact Tillmans hand picked coach. Reed has to coach a LOT better than he did the last two years. He's still a weak link in my mind. I like most of what Hervey has done so far but his big test will come in what he does about Reed if the team does not do well this year.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Moneypuck

I don't think Reed makes it to Labour Day, if he doesn't have a +.500 record. Hervey's not going to have much patience if he sees the same crap going on again.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

Its been a long time since Hugh Campbell. The game has changed.

The NHL doesn't have a coach and GM in one person anymore.

How many CFL teams currently do?

Old
05-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

Jim Popp was the last one who was successful and even he decided that two jobs was too much after a while.

Old
05-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

And I wasn't necessarily attempting to make excuses for Reed's performance last year, I'm just curious to see how he performs under a more stable situation. There's no denying that the organization was a mess last year - we had a GM who didn't give two ***** about the team. A GM who seemed to be actively sabotaging the roster.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

I'm not sure how much I understand the point. Campbell was running a bigger org at the time that was the flagship team in the league, he was not only running the Esks, he was at times quite simply leading the league and overseeing financial hardships with other clubs and consulting in trying to keep teams, and the league, afloat.

The Esks sold more tickets, had more game day expenses and revenue, and did more promotions back then. The esks were also running more scouts, had longer TC's, and were much more visible in community events back then.

In what way is the job more complicated now? I can't think of anything.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Krut

Quote:
I'm not sure how much I understand the point. Campbell was running a bigger org at the time that was the flagship team in the league, he was not only running the Esks, he was at times quite simply leading the league and overseeing financial hardships with other clubs and consulting in trying to keep teams, and the league, afloat.

The Esks sold more tickets, had more game day expenses and revenue, and did more promotions back then. The esks were also running more scouts, had longer TC's, and were much more visible in community events back then.

In what way is the job more complicated now? I can't think of anything.
Keep in mind that you are talking about one of the sharpest football men the CFL has ever seen, if not the sharpest.

I doubt that the number of people able to do both jobs in the CFL is more than maybe 2-3.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Keep in mind that you are talking about one of the sharpest football men the CFL has ever seen, if not the sharpest.

I doubt that the number of people able to do both jobs in the CFL is more than maybe 2-3.
For sure, I'm just saying. The key point though is we don't know that Reed was doing part of both roles, this is hearsay coming from the org that reads to me like an excuse.

But like I said, even if he did have a hand in both roles he was poor in both.

This is the worst on field management since Macciocia.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Krut

Quote:
For sure, I'm just saying. The key point though is we don't know that Reed was doing part of both roles, this is hearsay coming from the org that reads to me like an excuse.

But like I said, even if he did have a hand in both roles he was poor in both.

This is the worst on field management since Macciocia.
Ya, I do agree that Reed was pretty bad last year. I wanted him gone at the end of last season, but over time I have become reluctantly OK with him for another year under (hopefully) competent management.

Closed Thread