HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Toydarian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its up to you or anybody but one can learn to appreciate the solid aspects of the Winning game that the Kings are playing. One can admire the outright commitment of the entire team to a system of play that allows them to be better than the parts. Make no mistake either that the KIngs have excellent parts.

Theres a large core of players here that are exceptionally talented and that could play a less focused game, get away with it, and be the Washington Capitals, but are willing and committed to be that much better.

As fans the reason I think we watch playoffs is seeing excellence. With the Kings we truly are in every capacity and at every position.

Quite simply the LA Kings are playing immutable hockey right now and doing it well within the rules and without the holding, clutching, interference that was so allowed a decade or more ago.

This is just an excellent team playing hockey at its highest level.
I do appreciate the little things the Kings do (e.g. effortless breskouts, excellent puck support, controlling the front of the net, etc.). However, if all there is to appreciate is the little things, that means the primary substance is lacking. As I said, from a coaching and LAK fan standpoint, it's arguably perfectly executed hockey. But as an impartial observer, the product just seems to lack sizzle and excitement.

Like The Perfect Human said, maybe it's only exciting when their opponents are able to play a similar style with similar effectiveness. Who knows, maybe I should be directing my complaints towards the Sharks and their inability to make adjustments. Maybe it's because the Kings don't make the high risk/high reward plays which lead to goals and goals against. Maybe it's because individual skill isn't manifested in an obvious manner. All I know, is I get a little bored watching them play.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:31 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I do appreciate the little things the Kings do (e.g. effortless breskouts, excellent puck support, controlling the front of the net, etc.). However, if all there is to appreciate is the little things, that means the primary substance is lacking. As I said, from a coaching and LAK fan standpoint, it's arguably perfectly executed hockey. But as an impartial observer, the product just seems to lack sizzle and excitement.

Like The Perfect Human said, maybe it's only exciting when their opponents are able to play a similar style with similar effectiveness. Who knows, maybe I should be directing my complaints towards the Sharks and their inability to make adjustments. Maybe it's because the Kings don't make the high risk/high reward plays which lead to goals and goals against. Maybe it's because individual skill isn't manifested in an obvious manner. All I know, is I get a little bored watching them play.
It's no different than respected defensive fighters in boxing or MMA. Might be boring as hell, but if you truly see what they are doing it's a piece of magic.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post

Thanks for the response. I get more of where you are coming from. We'll see what level of hockey SJ is willing to go to. Of course the age old question of Thornton, Marleau, etc, is how much commitment are they prepared to make. Even with that said in fairness this Sharks team doesn't match up with the Kings.

Sharks will need a legendary effort here to beat the Kings. If they did somehow manage to do that they would go onto win the cup imo.

But my take is the Kings win this series.

Kings may have their stumble against the Hawks. If Kings go to the SC they're winning again.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:07 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Only one game tonight.

Pick your winner.

3-1 Detroit

Old
05-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Someone make a .gif of Mike Babcock callin Hossa out for the dive, lol

Old
05-15-2013, 08:38 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Someone make a .gif of Mike Babcock callin Hossa out for the dive, lol
I was like "Why is he doing the worm with his hand?"

Old
05-15-2013, 09:05 PM
harpoon
FOB

Completely ridiculous that Torres is going to get suspended for that hit. The only way to explain it is that Shanny has a special set of rules for guys who still remember that hockey includes punishing the opponent. For a guy who played a reasonably tough game I can't express how disappointed I am in the way Shanahan has conducted himself as the league disciplinarian.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Hey, remember when Torres took out Michalek in 2006 and it sort of turned the tide and the Oilers came back in that series and beat the Sharks? Maybe everything's coming full circle and now that Torres took out Stoll this time San Jose comes back and wins their series with L.A. and makes a run to the finals. Torres, a former Oiler, concussing Stoll, another former Oiler, on a team with three other former Oilers, one of which was also on the 2006 cup run (Greene).

Old
05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
I'm so confused with kane being a lady byng finalist.

Don't get me wrong I don't hold anything against Kane after his incident, but the guy plays in the West and hockey writers have grudges.

The world ending?

Old
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm so confused with kane being a lady byng finalist.

Don't get me wrong I don't hold anything against Kane after his incident, but the guy plays in the West and hockey writers have grudges.

The world ending?
There does certainly seem to be a... East centric quality to the awards this year.

Hart: Ovechkin, Crosby, Tavares (LOL)
Norris: Letang, Subban, Suter
Calder: Huberdeau, Gallagher, Saad
Vezina: Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, Niemi
Masterton: Crosby, McQuid, Harding
Ted Lindsay: Crosby, Ovechkin, St. Louis
Selke: Toews, Datsyuk, Bergeron
GM of the year: Bergervin, Shero, Murray

16 of 24 announced nominees coming from the East this year.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Toydarian

This season there were basically 2 leagues. With no western teams playing against eastern teams, the writers basically didn't watch much of the west. This explains the extremism this season. Pretty lame.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
There does certainly seem to be a... East centric quality to the awards this year.

Hart: Ovechkin, Crosby, Tavares (LOL)
Norris: Letang, Subban, Suter
Calder: Huberdeau, Gallagher, Saad
Vezina: Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, Niemi
Masterton: Crosby, McQuid, Harding
Ted Lindsay: Crosby, Ovechkin, St. Louis
Selke: Toews, Datsyuk, Bergeron
GM of the year: Bergervin, Shero, Murray

16 of 24 announced nominees coming from the East this year.
Detroit and Chicago may as well be Eastern teams too. They get tons of exposure in the United States.

Last edited by OilerTyler: 05-16-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 05:33 PM
timekeep

Torres get rest of series

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423358

Old
05-16-2013, 05:35 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I guess it's not a major concern for the Oilers, but it would seem to be a bit of a waste to sign a guy who continues to find ways of not playing in the playoffs one way or another.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Philly85
Moody'

What a stupid suspension for Torres. Shanahan is the definition of a joke. <insert Lindey Ruff face here>

Old
05-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
I guess it's not a major concern for the Oilers, but it would seem to be a bit of a waste to sign a guy who continues to find ways of not playing in the playoffs one way or another.
You mean by having the name "Torres" spelled out on the back of his jersey?

It was a joke call which is the consensus around the league unless you're a kings fan.

Shouldn't even have been a charging penalty, Stoll had the puck, how is a person supposed to know Stoll would throw the puck up ice with his hand instead of play it with his stick? The charging on this was a joke to begin with. Which set in motion the latest version of Raffigate.

Curious about the suspension as well. Its not fixed # of games but "rest of series" What kind of **** is that?

Old
05-16-2013, 08:56 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Shanahan's Wheel of Fortune lives on

Old
05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

How do the Kings keep getting away with these picks and little hooks?

Old
05-16-2013, 09:22 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

No Havlat and Torres will start to affect the Sharks. Nice shot but Niemi needs to save that.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
No Havlat and Torres will start to affect the Sharks. Nice shot but Niemi needs to save that.
Tonight is a good example that even the best goalies in the world give up bad goals. Lundqvist gave up a brutal goal off Chara and Rask let in a weak one tonight as well.

BTW... what the hell happened to Brad Richards? He's playing 4th line minutes right now on the Rangers. I wonder if he gets bought out... if he does, I can see whatever team that picks him up getting a very good player for the next couple of seasons.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I'm hoping to see double overtime in this Boston/New York game.

If it makes it to double overtime, I'll start hoping for triple overtime.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:50 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Nice jinx.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:00 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 227
San Jose can't buy a goal, very impressive hockey by the Kings.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Watching the Kings is like watching the Devils of the mid to late 90's all over again. Very frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Tonight is a good example that even the best goalies in the world give up bad goals. Lundqvist gave up a brutal goal off Chara and Rask let in a weak one tonight as well.

BTW... what the hell happened to Brad Richards? He's playing 4th line minutes right now on the Rangers. I wonder if he gets bought out... if he does, I can see whatever team that picks him up getting a very good player for the next couple of seasons.
I'll bet that the Flames try to scoop him up. They were desperate to sign him before but he turned them down.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:05 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

The worst part is that since the Kings won the Cup last year, all the teams in the West are going to try and imitate them.

Closed Thread