The next 'Special K'? Torey Krug

Old
04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I was real impressed with his willingness to play a physical game. He might get out muscled by bigger guys but he will still throw his weight around. Loved a game last year when he lined up hartnell and became a target for the rest of the night. Looked like he liked it.
Thats a good character trait. Doesn't matter if he loses some battles as long as he doesn't shy away from it. If he really does have that type of character, I'm sure he'll do well in the NHL.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:03 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Thats a good character trait. Doesn't matter if he loses some battles as long as he doesn't shy away from it. If he really does have that type of character, I'm sure he'll do well in the NHL.
Absolutely. There didn't seem to be any hesitation in his game either, which was surprising considering he was making the jump straight from college to the NHL. Maybe it was all adrenaline but it was good none the less

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Kirk says, on twitter, that Krug will be ready to contribute next year. That's a very positive news. Not sure why the Bruins would trade Bartowski or Krug in a trade; especially if the Bruins want to change the makeup of the blueline. Time will tell, i guess
Because none of these guys are top-end players. Would it really hurt the team to lose a bottom pairing defenseman if it means getting a 1st line player of 1st pairing defenseman ?

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:10 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Because none of these guys are top-end players. Would it really hurt the team to lose a bottom pairing defenseman if it means getting a 1st line player of 1st pairing defenseman ?
I must have missed the list of 1st line 1st pairing players that were offered for Krug.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokedBisgoodforme View Post
you gotta love that this kid came from nowhere, too, and he quickly turned into one of the top providence players. Good scouting, there.
Didn't exactly come out of nowhere. Was one of the handful of top players in College hockey before the Bruins signed him.

Good to see him develop. i would like to see him try and develop as a defenseman before i look at him moving to wing.

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I thought Krug looked great in his brief appearance this year. I'd say he has a roster spot locked up next year but, will Claude want a defense with Bartkowski, Krug and Hamilton? That is a lot of youth.
I don't think the Bruins brass views Hamilton as a kid anymore despite his age/lack of experience. Specifically, I don't think they look at him and say "we can't have any more young kids because we already have Dougie in the lineup," or things along those lines. His being in the lineup won't effect other personal decisions based on youth in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbnh View Post
Put him in the lineup as a forward and have him QB the power play as a 4th forward who knows how to defend. That would seem tailor made for a Clode team.

And he could not possibly contribute less than some current forwards.
This almost never works with guys like Krug. It's working for Brent Burns this year because he's played a ton of games at F previously, and he's not a cerebral type creator. He's a big body that skates well, and can produce offense being the recipient of passes. Krug's whole strength as a player (imo) is derived from his ability to see the play from the backend. It's a whole different game perspective offensively from the backend, because you can see the entire play in front of you, and it allows a guy like Krug to control pace, allow for lanes to open up, and create the offense. Moving to forward makes him start to depend on someone else to find him. It's hard to explain, but certain guys like Coffey, Boyle, Rafalski, Niedermayer, etc. were/are prolific offensive producers because of their ability to see the entire play in front of them. The view of the game changes when you move to forward.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:46 AM
looner

I've never seen Krug play so i will defer to those who have, but with all that has been said the one NHLer that comes to mind is Marc-Andre Bergeron (Carolina right now), is that fair or does he have less defensive warts the MA Bergeron?

looner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Where did you end up sitting btw?

Krug is a gamer, I don't have any negative feelings for his ability to contribute up here
I think we were in 26, Gorski sat with my son and I. My son typically has some very interesting takes on the game, hope Chris enjoyed them

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by looner View Post
I've never seen Krug play so i will defer to those who have, but with all that has been said the one NHLer that comes to mind is Marc-Andre Bergeron (Carolina right now), is that fair or does he have less defensive warts the MA Bergeron?
He did not remind me of MAB at all. It's been awhile since I have seen this guy, but the first player that sprang to mind was J Girard.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Ratty

Looking forward to seeing Krug on the backline replacing Ference. This adds youth, offensive upside, and saves Peter some change on the cap.

The Bruins seem to be cornering the market on smallish, mobile, offensive D-men, what with Krug, Warsofsky and Grzelcyk. I really like Grzelcyk after seeing him a couple of times at B. U.

The OP made reference to the "Special Ks" we had in the pipeline a few years back. Krejci is the only one to rise to the star level. But this group of "K"s seems more likely to succeed, including Knight, Krug and Khokhlachev. There's a lot of talent there to be developed. Of the three, Krug is most likely to earn a spot on the ML roster soonest.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
He did not remind me of MAB at all. It's been awhile since I have seen this guy, but the first player that sprang to mind was J Girard.
IMO he is a poor mans Brian Rafalski. Not a bad thing by at all.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:16 AM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

Delete

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
thegodfather

Waiting to see what Dan has to say about this kid; I know he takes in a lot of Providence games.

I can only comment on what I've seen from his short stint in the NHL but I agree with Lou, he needs to put on some muscle.

The cap is coming down and the Bruins need to make changes.

What I'd like to see next year on defense.

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-Bart
McQuaid-Krug

Pick up a cheap 7th dman.

thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Scotto74
Back in Blue!

have to be honest when I read the thread title I thought dimitri kharitonov had a kid playing on the p Bruins.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:53 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

I remember the original Special K's, Klaus, Karsums, Krejci, Kessel.

I thought this thread was going to be about Koko as I believe he is the best of the next special K's, (Knight, Koko, Krug), but from what Krug has shown, I am very impressed.

I do not get to watch a lot of the AHL games but I always keep myself up to date by reading the box score.

I also like the thought of him being paired with McQuaid, an old school stay at home defenseman kind of how Stuart was a few years back.

Also back in the day I thought Dmitri Kvartalnov was going to be the next great Bruins Russian player, with 91 points in 112 games, that is almost a point a game, and then whooosh, he vanished.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
No disrespect meant for Knight or Koko, just interested in Krug right now as he's caught my eye.
he's been great I saw him Friday night and am going this Friday I think- he's pretty wide bodied though Colt; I feel bad he looked a bit off in the recall game; however, overall I think he can and should make it.

Knight needs games- he's 65 behind, and he has been physical, but he needs to catch up and then start using that shot of his. He plays like the Wild West gunfighter but he has an assassin's shot it is that great. Love to see him start playin 10-15 feet from the net a bit more instead of a foot away.

Koko is so lost defensively but he's loaded with skill- be patient with him but he needs the 100 AHL games imo- hope he sticks it out

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Colt.45Orr

*BUMMP**

Kid looked GREAT in his first playoff game -ssssssooooooo nice to have speed back there now with Krug and Bartowski.

Folks, we've seen the future (post Ference era) now and it doesn't suck

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:04 PM
CapeB

Quote:
*BUMMP**

Kid looked GREAT in his first playoff game -ssssssooooooo nice to have speed back there now with Krug and Bartowski.

Krug looked great

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
*BUMMP**

Yes!!! Hate the thought of not having #21, but hopefully he can stay here as a mentor. The Kids looked great!

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:08 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

I aint in Providence....I'm in Ohio.

The Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Ratty

If Krug and/or Bartkowski can show some development in the playoffs it could give the GM confidence in replacing Ference and Redden. And, with the progress Hamilton has made, the team should not have to feel a need to deal valuable assets to acquire that "offensive defenseman" it has lacked for several years.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Chris23JP

Not a Bruins fan per say (Wings fan), but I'a m a Torey Krug fan.

Watched him play college hockey at Michigan State University for 2 seasons and he was great.

I remember during a MSU/UofM game near the student section he got into a little tussle with a Michigan player. As the ref skated both of them to the box he looked at the student section and lifted his hands and yelled, "lets go!" The student section was already pretty loud, but got even louder after he acknowledged his fellow students.

Chris23JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Serpico4ever

Of all the small skilled American PMD's the B's have picked up lately, he's the one that is most impressive. Krug that is. Along with him Bartkowski is NHL calibre, as well as Kevin Miller who played at Vermont. Miller's basically unknown but very good. I think that Warsofsky is a maybe, but he lacks Krug's speed and attitude.

For forwards its Carter Camper, Jamie Tardiff and Craig Cunningham. Vets like Exelby and Mink were great signings, and say what you want about Bourque, he's an excellent AHL player and I still think in the right role on the right team could be an NHL contributor. He was obviously the fall guy for that third line and as we've seen it wasn't just him...... also there's Spooner, Caron and Knight who'll make the team ala Douggie, because of the hype over the last couple of years. Personally I think they should move both Caron and Spooner while their values at its peak. Spooners more Peverley than Savard.

In goal is Svedberg and Hutch. People have forgotten about Hutchinson, but he's been great this year. I don't think this team is filled with any superstars, but they'll have NHL players coming outta this lineup for not only the B's but other clubs as well over the coming years.

Last edited by Serpico4ever: 05-16-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Too long
Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:25 PM
westernhome

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:39 PM
tbone

Quote:
For those of you that were here circa 2004/5/6 you will remember the upcoming crop of rookies we had at that time that we dubbed the 'Special Ks' because, well, their names started with K?
I thought the original Special Ks were Kolarik, Kutlak and Kultanen - didn't Jarno have 3 assists in his 1st game?

Seriously, loved Krug's game tonight.

tbone is offline   Reply With Quote