HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jinx or Not, Let's Discuss the Competition

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 10:48 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Jinx or Not, Let's Discuss the Competition

Maybe this is the thread that the Wings' fans throw in my face a couple of weeks from now after they win this round.

...but i don't care, let's discuss our future playoff competition.

In the event we beat Detroit, we'll be facing one of LA or the Sharks. The Sharks don't worry me all that much - unfortunately, Raffi would be back (although, knowing him, he'll play a game and be gone again along w/ one of our own to a concussion)...and Thornton is also a cheapshot artist. That aside, I have trouble envisioning San Jose beating us 4 times in a 7 game series.

The other option is LA...this team I"m worried about...b/c while I definitely think we can beat them (and would pick us as the favourites)...I can also see them beating us. Quick has obviously proven his worth - not just in a general "skill" sense but in his ability to steal games when it's necessary (although he's not doing great tonight). LA is physical and grinding...but also is skilled. While it has weak spots...it doesn't massive holes. I'm a little concerned about us standing up to their physical style without taking a bunch of stupid penalties in the process.

Eastern Conference

If we were to get to the SCF...I think the Bruins would be the hardest team for us to beat. Honestly, if we make it that far, I would like to play them...even though they'd be tough.

The Pens have the most elite offense - but their D is laughable and their goalie situation seems pretty bad.

NYR - I have no problem believing Lundqvist could steal a series. Their D love to block shots, but can also get pushed around. Their offense hasn't lived up to its skill...but the skill is there. It's not out of question that they could win the cup even if they're not the top favourites.

Ottawa - maybe famous last words...but no, just no.

What are your own thoughts about the teams still in it and how they may interact w/ our own skill set? Obviously, we could lose this round...but there's no harm in paying attention to/discussing the other teams in a "competition" sense.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:51 PM
BronYrAur

The Pens are the best team in the East. Bruins are good but not consistent enough. Yes the Pens D are bad but their offense is amazing.

LAK are the best puck possession team in the NHL. That would be a brutal series for the Hawks and is, at best, a coin flip as to who wins.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:53 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Id rather play a tune. Gonna spin some Alice Cooper right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke62B7S9E3Y

edit: following it up with Chelsea Dagger

Old
05-16-2013, 10:58 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
The Pens are the best team in the East. Bruins are good but not consistent enough. Yes the Pens D are bad but their offense is amazing.

LAK are the best puck possession team in the NHL. That would be a brutal series for the Hawks and is, at best, a coin flip as to who wins.
it was entirely possible that the Isles stole that from them. Malkin, Crosby, and the window dressing have the ability to run over a team...but their goal and D are so bad it makes baby jesus cry.

going back to LAK...I'm trying to decide whether you're right or wrong about them being the best puck possession team...i want to see it's actually us...but then i can envision them mowing our offense down more than the other way round...so maybe you're right. but yeah, i think it's basically a coin flip. i think our offense is marginally better...but i'd also trust quick to make the proverbial 'big save' more than craw

Old
05-16-2013, 11:51 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

LA worries me more than any other team currently in the playoffs.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I want O6 Finals... but playing the Kings will be different than playing the Wild or Wings

Old
05-17-2013, 01:06 AM
KyleJRM

LA and Pittsburgh scare me. Anyone else would need a lot of puck luck to beat us.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I want O6 Finals... but playing the Kings will be different than playing the Wild or Wings
one main difference is that the kings might beat us down big time. but i'd be interested to hear what you think the potential difference will be.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:46 AM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

vCash: 275
There is no easy road from here on out. They'll play who they'll play if they advance.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:11 AM
zytz
lumberjack

I worry about LAK from the west and BOS in the east. Both are teams that can forecheck effectively and physically, and that's ultimately the largest weakness in our system, IMO.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
one main difference is that the kings might beat us down big time. but i'd be interested to hear what you think the potential difference will be.
They are better than the Wild and Wings, have more depth and the better D and the better goalie. I think it's obvious why the Kings would be a tougher opponent to play against

Old
05-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

LA is toughest team to play left in my opinion. Deep, tough, talented, experienced and an elite goalie. A team that any team will have to play at their best to beat.

Last edited by Sir Psycho T: 05-17-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old
05-17-2013, 07:13 AM
here come the

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post

This is true, but its not by a lot (assuming Fenwick Close). Once Quick started to play better after the deadline, their play dropped off dramatically (in terms of puck possession) and has not been good at all in the playoffs, minus one game. The Hawks after the deadline (and not coincidentally when Bolland missed time) were playing at a historic possession pace for the last month, and have carried that somewhat into the playoffs. There's a pretty solid argument to be made to be made the Hawks are now a superior possession team. However, Jonathan Quick exists, and that would pose a problem. Also Stoll's health is huge for the Kings

Old
05-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
There is no easy road from here on out. They'll play who they'll play if they advance.
Yup. Its the Western Conference Finals, no more easy games.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:26 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Let’s get past Wings first, but in order, imo, here are Hawks toughest ops:

1/ Pens – It was a toss-up between Pens and Kings as our toughest ops. With Pens, defense is shaky but they can play any style you throw at them. Goaltending isn’t great either but they have Crosby, Malkin and Iginla. It may be better for us that they are upset before getting to the final.
2/ LA – no weakness on this team that I can see and built for the PO’s. Again, I’d like to see them gone, but SJ are quickly down 2 – 0 in the series, so it isn’t likely. Our grit will need to be at an all-time high to beat this team.
3/ Rangers – a mystery team that has underachieved all season. We can take them, though Lunquist can steal games at ant time.
4/ Bruins – played a very physical 7 game series against Leafs and I imagine against Rangers, it will be the same. They should be pooped by the finals if they make it, and they are already slow afoot. They will try to bully us into submission, but we will be fresher.
5/ Ottawa, who knows but Anderson is playing great still.
6/ SJ – good size on this team but we should be able to beat ‘em.

Closed Thread