HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kosty vs Ryder

Old
09-29-2006, 08:36 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Kosty vs Ryder

How does Kosty compare to Ryder at the same age?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:38 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Skillwise, hard to say...

The thing is that Ryder was very lowprofile...as opposed to Kosty who was a highly touted 1rst rounder

Old
09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Duff88

I won't contribute to the thread simply because I don't have a good enough memory to bring insight. But I had to say that when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a "Why not keep Kostitsyn instead of Ryder thread". Let me just tell you that I was ready to .

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:32 PM
goalchenyuk

Ryder wasn't in the AHL yet . Nobody would have said that he would be a 30 goals scorer in the NHL at that time .

Ryder was a very hard worker

Kosty is more lazy , but has a lot more of skills .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:40 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Ryder wasn't in the AHL yet . Nobody would have said that he would be a 30 goals scorer in the NHL at that time .

Ryder was a very hard worker

Kosty is more lazy , but has a lot more of skills .
Yea they seem like pretty different players in terms of work ethic. I do think that Kost will make the NHL this year or next year but if he wants to stay as a top 6 then he will have to work on his "work ethic".

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:41 PM
neopreneur

At the same age

Kosty > Ryder

I think Ryder had confidence issues or something.
Anyways, we can all thank Claude Julien for helping him break out. He knew exactly how to use him in the AHL since he was his coach in the Q. And then Julien became the Habs head coach and we all know what happened after that...

I bet Kosty is pretty upset right now. But he showed us why we picked him 10th overall and I can't wait 'till he gets called up because he'll stick, no doubt.

neopreneur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:59 PM
GSK*

I'm perhaps to sold on Kosty but I think that he gonna play more then "a couple of game". If a top-6 foward is hurt this years, Kostsitsyn can be call up for the NHL and if he really want to stay in the league he gonna show us he can't be a true dangerous offensive foward.

Anyway, next years he gonna be a habs for sure, I think both of Grabovsky and Kositsyn going to play in the NHL full time next year. I doubt Bonk & Ribeiro to stay in MTL. If Latendresse play well as a power foward and show us he can be a 30-40 NHL goals scorer Ryder can be trade to make some space for guys like Grabovsky and Kostsitsyn. Thats not a knock-on Ryder, he can stay in MTL for a couple of year, but that is my feeling. Koivu, Samsonov, Kovalev, Perezhogin, Latendresse, Higgins, Begin, Murray, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Grabovsky and Johnson. The 13th foward will be Chipchura imo. If all of the youngster can improve therself, that will be a contender team.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
I won't contribute to the thread simply because I don't have a good enough memory to bring insight. But I had to say that when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a "Why not keep Kostitsyn instead of Ryder thread". Let me just tell you that I was ready to .

LOL, me too.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post

LOL. I came in here for the same reason. I even knew which smiley I was going to use to express my rage:

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 11:07 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
There is room for Kosty and Ryder and a number of players. We have to get over the top six fixation. There is nothing wrong with 4 good lines if you can pay them.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 11:41 PM
habsfan89

just to remind you he has played a whole year on top lines and higgins have played 26 games on top lines and have scored
16 goal if he can keep it like this 82 games he would score exactly 50 goal 20 more than ryder has done with a complete year

second ryder's goal are garbage goal or shot goal but kostitsyn has a much better shot and more playmaking skill more speed the only question is if he would be able to score as much garbage goal as ryder can kostitsyn can reach 30 goal playing on a top 2 line all year easily.

habsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 12:19 AM
goalchenyuk

a mike Bossy ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 02:15 AM
NewHabsEra*

I expect Kostitsyn to have a breakout season in the AHL this year.. With another season behind the cravat, some more muscle added, I think he will be quite ready to make the team next year... Its funny you are trying to compare him to Ryder cause I strongly think its Ryder's last chance to impress this year, he will have to keep it up with his linemates every time he touches the ice and contribute to make his line dominant... Last year he was clearly the weakest link on his line, wasnt involved enough in the play, floating around and way too inconsistent... I liked what I saw from him against Toronto but like I said, he will have to play that way every nights...

Kostitsyn is more naturally skilled than Ryder, better stickhandler, better passer, more creative with the puck and Im sure he would look good this year with Higgins and Koivu from what he did in the training camp but at the moment Ryder looks more mature physically, looks quicker than last year and a bit quicker than Kostitsyn right now...

I see Kostitsyn challenging Ryder strongly next training camp... We all know Ryder wasnt 100% last season and we all know the guy never stopped to improve over the years, so at the moment I wouldnt go as far as saying Kostitsyn will replace him next season but Ryder has everything to prove once again while Im convinced Kostitsyn will be a force in the AHL all the seaosn long...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:04 AM
mcphee

Last chance to impress ? I think whether or not you look pretty doing it, 25 then 30 goals impresses. Kostitsyn is farther ahead than Ryder at 20. He was obviously a more highly regarded prospect than Ryder, but in the end, it's getting there that counts, not how they get there. I think their games at their peak levels will be very similar. Both show their best from the inner arc of the circle to the net.

It is possible at one point that one could be moved, if they can be used to fill a need, but it won't have anything to do with Ryder's chance to impress, he already has.

I think kostitsyn will be a productive player, in fact I think he'll be a better NHL'er than AHL'er. The team's deeper at wing than C right now. Even if a C went down, I could see Kost. being the first callup while Begin or Murray moved to C and one of the other C's moved up.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 02:33 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Last chance to impress ? I think whether or not you look pretty doing it, 25 then 30 goals impresses. Kostitsyn is farther ahead than Ryder at 20. He was obviously a more highly regarded prospect than Ryder, but in the end, it's getting there that counts, not how they get there. I think their games at their peak levels will be very similar. Both show their best from the inner arc of the circle to the net.

It is possible at one point that one could be moved, if they can be used to fill a need, but it won't have anything to do with Ryder's chance to impress, he already has.

I think kostitsyn will be a productive player, in fact I think he'll be a better NHL'er than AHL'er. The team's deeper at wing than C right now. Even if a C went down, I could see Kost. being the first callup while Begin or Murray moved to C and one of the other C's moved up.
Im not the only one who have been desapointed by Ryder's game last season.. He was clearly the weak link of the line most night not being involved in the play enough..Is'nt this the truth?? I know he still scored 25-30 goals but in modern hockey you have to make your line dominate the opposition 5 on 5, you have to be involved in the play, not floating around... Still, Im encouraged by what I saw from Ryder against Toronto, but he will have to play that way every night!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 04:45 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Im not the only one who have been desapointed by Ryder's game last season.. He was clearly the weak link of the line most night not being involved in the play enough..Is'nt this the truth?? I know he still scored 25-30 goals but in modern hockey you have to make your line dominate the opposition 5 on 5, you have to be involved in the play, not floating around... Still, Im encouraged by what I saw from Ryder against Toronto, but he will have to play that way every night!

I agree. He was often th elead man entering the zone and he shouldn't be. Not being creative off the rush doesn't mean he floated though. He didn't do some things off the forecheck that he did as a rookie,plus he didn't shoot as well from the outside. Still, he scored 30 on a goal starved team. Sometimes players produce better than they look while doing it. I think he was involved in the play, I believe the issue was more what he did when involved.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 05:01 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan89 View Post
just to remind you he has played a whole year on top lines and higgins have played 26 games on top lines and have scored
16 goal if he can keep it like this 82 games he would score exactly 50 goal 20 more than ryder has done with a complete year

second ryder's goal are garbage goal or shot goal but kostitsyn has a much better shot and more playmaking skill more speed the only question is if he would be able to score as much garbage goal as ryder can kostitsyn can reach 30 goal playing on a top 2 line all year easily.
Just because Higgins was on fire for a short period of time last season, doesn't mean he will continue to score at that pace. Higgins is not a natural scorer; Ryder is. Ryder scored 30 goals injured, so healthy he potentially will score more. I do beleive Higgins can be an effective goalscorer but not as good as Ryder (Higgins is more complete though).

You make it sound like garbage goals are bad or something. Last I checked, they still count for the same thing. And I beleive one of the main problems with this team is the lack of garbage goal scorers. Kosty will not score those types of goals because he will not drive to the net or stand in front of the net banging in the rebounds. Ryan Smyth is a garbage goal scorer and I would take him over any winger on the team currently (he would have scored 40 goals easily had he not been injured).

Yes it's nice to see a player make a nice deke and shoot it top corner, but to me it's just as good as seeing Ryder bang in a rebound from in front of the net. I wonder if Lats will get the same criticisms for being a garbage goal scorer...I'd take those types over players like Samsonov anyday.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 05:04 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
This team's weakness is the lack of finish. We have too many guys who get involved with the play...Nobody seems to realize that there is only ONE puck. It's fun to see the dipsy doodle moves but just put the puck in the ****ing net already. Ryder understands this. Higgins understands this. That's basically it. Kovalev seems to understand it sometimes but he tends to forget.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Kosty will not score those types of goals because he will not drive to the net or stand in front of the net banging in the rebounds. Ryan Smyth is a garbage goal scorer and I would take him over any winger on the team currently (he would have scored 40 goals easily had he not been injured).
Is this some kind of prediction for the future? Do you want to put your vcash where your mouth is?

Going on past performances and me having seen him score several goals as a result of going to the net and standing there (against the coyotes, one of the OT goals he got in Hamilton last year being the first that come to mind) I'd say he will manage to score from the front of the net. Do you also want to tell us Kost is a bad passer and can't set up plays? Maybe he shys away completely from physical play? Any other insight into the way he plays the game cos you have my attention right now.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote