HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toni Rajala

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2013, 01:50 AM
  #26
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
For a 21 year old with his draft position, I really don't think Roy's stats are that bad.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=106601
No one's doubting his hockey sense, skill, or point-producing ability. I'm sure we're all lauding his ability to produce at any level.

What's going to change when he comes up to the NHL is the speed, physicality, and overall competitiveness. People are doubting his ability to play a decent enough 2-way game to stay up. People are doubting that his offensive production will continue when the speed of the game is so much higher. And people are doubting whether the speed/quickness/skill he's used in the AHL to succeed despite his size will be enough with the big talented players in the NHL.

They're all fair doubts.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:54 AM
  #27
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Roy is going to play a two way game? I think this board rights off prospects way to early. Roy may not look great now and neither does Bunz but both are young goalies that have to find their way in the pros.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:56 AM
  #28
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Considering the dud that is Olivier Roy, Rajala is all we have left from that Brodziak trade.
Roy is having an amazing playoffs not sure what you`re talking about.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:02 AM
  #29
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,965
vCash: 50
Wow. Some of you guys are kind of jumping the gun here by pencilling Rajala on our lineup already. Some guys can dominate the AHL but be terrible in the NHL. I would like to see him in training camp though to see how he compares to our other players.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:34 AM
  #30
BackhandToeyJoey
Registered User
 
BackhandToeyJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Just finished watching Rudy, sooooooo.. Never count the little guy out lol. :p

BackhandToeyJoey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:55 AM
  #31
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,974
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Wow. Some of you guys are kind of jumping the gun here by pencilling Rajala on our lineup already. Some guys can dominate the AHL but be terrible in the NHL. I would like to see him in training camp though to see how he compares to our other players.
Keep in mind that Omark for example was 23/24 when he was producing like Rajala is at 21. I'm not saying he's a star, or that he should be penciled in (hell, I'd completely written him off), but its certainly not unreasonable to think he might be able to earn a spot next year. Especially with Nuge hurt

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:39 AM
  #32
Musashi
Registered User
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Considering the dud that is Olivier Roy, Rajala is all we have left from that Brodziak trade.
The trade ended up turning into Brodziak and Darcy Kuemper for Olivier Roy and Kyle Bigos


Last edited by Musashi: 05-17-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:24 AM
  #33
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,965
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Keep in mind that Omark for example was 23/24 when he was producing like Rajala is at 21. I'm not saying he's a star, or that he should be penciled in (hell, I'd completely written him off), but its certainly not unreasonable to think he might be able to earn a spot next year. Especially with Nuge hurt
I agree but I would like to see how he compares to our third and fourth liners first. Sadly, our bottom six is so bad that he would probably make the team easily lol

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
  #34
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
I just want to see what he brings to the table. The kid would learn a lot from training camp

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:02 AM
  #35
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Considering the dud that is Olivier Roy, Rajala is all we have left from that Brodziak trade.
Roy is playing for Stockton and projecting very nicely. He's played lights out in the playoffs and has carried his team on his back. I wouldn't call him a dud just yet. He's still a very interesting prospect imo.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
  #36
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Roy is playing for Stockton and projecting very nicely. He's played lights out in the playoffs and has carried his team on his back. I wouldn't call him a dud just yet. He's still a very interesting prospect imo.
He's still young. Roy has plenty of time to develop

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:05 PM
  #37
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Considering the dud that is Olivier Roy, Rajala is all we have left from that Brodziak trade.
It was Roy and Bigos picked with the Brodziak trade picks.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:15 PM
  #38
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I just want to see what he brings to the table. The kid would learn a lot from training camp
All players under contract generally attend training camp, so you don't have to worry about that. Rajala will be there.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:43 PM
  #39
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat
 
Nunymare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Listed as 5'10", 163LBS (which means he's 5'9", 158)



that would be no.



who cares. see LA vrs. SJ



looking forward to the Oilers organization realizing that they are in NHL not the SEL.

WAKE UP!!! NO MORE SMURFS!!!!!
Just because he is small doesn't mean he shouldn't be given a chance. Horrible attitude to possess. You see fans ***** and moan about how out later draft picks don't turn out, then you have fans that want to give up on and get rid of them...

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
  #40
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Someone suggested this somewhere else, but of Hopkins isn't ready for the start of the season I could see the top 6 being:

Rajala-Hall-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Small, yes I know, but that would be fun to watch.
Fun how? Fun like a midget toss?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  #41
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
For a 21 year old with his draft position, I really don't think Roy's stats are that bad.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=106601
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
No one's doubting his hockey sense, skill, or point-producing ability. I'm sure we're all lauding his ability to produce at any level.

What's going to change when he comes up to the NHL is the speed, physicality, and overall competitiveness. People are doubting his ability to play a decent enough 2-way game to stay up. People are doubting that his offensive production will continue when the speed of the game is so much higher. And people are doubting whether the speed/quickness/skill he's used in the AHL to succeed despite his size will be enough with the big talented players in the NHL.

They're all fair doubts.
Did you even click on the link? FYI, Roy is a goalie, but I am sure, as you pointed out, we will need to see better two way games from him and he does have decent offensive production. His speed and skill are great assets too.

Fair doubts indeed.

Or did you reply to a post on Roy, completely ignoring what it was about, and then proceed to continue beating the Rajala drum?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:35 PM
  #42
Panda Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Did you even click on the link? FYI, Roy is a goalie, but I am sure, as you pointed out, we will need to see better two way games from him and he does have decent offensive production. His speed and skill are great assets too.

Fair doubts indeed.

Or did you reply to a post on Roy, completely ignoring what it was about, and then proceed to continue beating the Rajala drum?
Hey now! We're in a thread about Rajala. He probably saw the 'R' while skimming and thought I wrote 'Rajala' instead of 'Roy'. I even said his stats are good for his draft position, which can be applied to both Rajala and Roy.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:43 PM
  #43
Hagged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
The worst case scenario is Rajala to have a great career in ECHL. The next best scenario is where he is able to maintain the top six production in the AHL. There is little chance he will ever be an NHL player, but even more weird things have happened. If he can continue what he has been doing this season at least he could get some call ups to see whether there is any hope of an NHL player in there.

Hagged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  #44
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak
 
Kayen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seoul
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Considering the dud that is Olivier Roy, Rajala is all we have left from that Brodziak trade.
Goalies take time. He's been destroying the ECHL.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:25 PM
  #45
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Hey now! We're in a thread about Rajala. He probably saw the 'R' while skimming and thought I wrote 'Rajala' instead of 'Roy'. I even said his stats are good for his draft position, which can be applied to both Rajala and Roy.
Yeah but you cited Roy. Anyway, gonna be a long ott season. edit (Freudian slip there)

It is nice to see Rajala and Roy doing decently but I have to think their value is in a trade or as AHLers. Rajala is just too small. Omark already cannot crack the team. Different guys with similar size and skills. Nothing against them. We just need to get bigger than I was in grade 9.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
  #46
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Yeah but you cited Roy. Anyway, gonna be a long ott season. edit (Freudian slip there)

It is nice to see Rajala and Roy doing decently but I have to think their value is in a trade or as AHLers. Rajala is just too small. Omark already cannot crack the team. Different guys with similar size and skills. Nothing against them. We just need to get bigger than I was in grade 9.
your contradicting yourself. similar size and skill, yes, but that's where the comparison should end. likely completely different attitudes. Rajala likely has a much better work ethic than Omark.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:08 PM
  #47
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
He could develop into a soli player in 2 years or 3, maybe he will have some value next year.

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:10 PM
  #48
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,600
vCash: 500
I don't like the Omark example. His size isn't the reason he didn't make it. His attitude was his own down fall. He refused to pay his dues in the minors and improve the aspects of his game that made him, for lack of a better term, not good enough.

Omark wasn't really a small player either. He may be short, but he's sticky and fairly good with his body. His issue was also the fact he was a terrible skater and was awful defensively. If he had refined those skills in OKC and stuck with it, he may be on the Oilers now.

Rajala, from what I've interpreted, is a much better skater and is average defensively. He also has a better work ethic apparently, which leads me to believe he has a better chance to make it one day than Omark.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:41 PM
  #49
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down
 
oilers2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,390
vCash: 203
I don't know why everyone here is so surprised by Rajala's recent play, did none of you watch him at the Memorial Cup with the Wheat Kings? I thought he was their best player.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:42 PM
  #50
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Someone suggested this somewhere else, but of Hopkins isn't ready for the start of the season I could see the top 6 being:

Rajala-Hall-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Small, yes I know, but that would be fun to watch.
no, no it would not

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.