HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 16 • Quarterfinal • Finland vs. Slovakia (stats in post #2)

View Poll Results: Who wins it?
Finland in regulation 19 52.78%
Finland in OT/shootout 7 19.44%
Slovakia in regulation 7 19.44%
Slovakia in OT/shootout 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 01:45 PM
  #276
QnebO
Wheel, snipe, celly
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Slovakia missed their 3 best players in Hossa, Gaborik, Chara... probably a few more good ones. Where's Halak?
Luckily Finland were obviousely with their best roster

Anyway, Congratulations for Slovakia! You played better and would've even deserved to win. I don't even feel very good after this, because I feel for you guys.

Edit:

And the only world class line team Finland had tonight... One more time, this pic needs to be at the last page of GDT



Last edited by QnebO: 05-16-2013 at 01:59 PM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:54 PM
  #277
bmxer
Registered User
 
bmxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Finland
Country: Canada
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Kaunis viimainen maali! Beauty last goal!

bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
  #278
Sleeptalker*
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Huskvarna
Country: Finland
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
NBCSN commentators are brutal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Yes, you could say that. There's no way Mikko would've tolerated the kind of attitude Kontiola's line has been playing with for most of the last two games and at times even before that. I don't think they would've even started playing with that attitude in the first place if he was here.

I was hoping Jalonen would recognize the situation and nip it to the bud, as it's obvious there's no individual on the team who can do that, but it doesn't look like it. He also couldn't stop the turtling although he had all the time in the world during the intermission. The kind of obnoxious floater attitude displayed by these guys is very un-Finnish and sickening to watch. We'll see what happens on Saturday but that attitude does not bode well. At all.

They haven't really had much external pressure even before this, because nobody expected anything from them. If they put pressure on themselves, then it's a different story, but nobody outside the team expected much even before this.
I only say, or rather sing, as Jimi Hendrix back in the day:

Excuse me while I kiss the sky!

And this Finland team will kiss the sky - if you only could shut up!

And give them a freakin' break. Because they aren't the favourites of the tournament directly. Both you and I know that.

Sleeptalker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:27 PM
  #279
Gaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeptalker View Post
I only say, or rather sing, as Jimi Hendrix back in the day:

Excuse me while I kiss the sky!

And this Finland team will kiss the sky - if you only could shut up!

And give them a freakin' break. Because they aren't the favourites of the tournament directly. Both you and I know that.
I'm well aware they're not the favorites. What I don't accept in any form are attitude issues, and it doesn't matter who's playing. If you give your best, work hard, act humble and still lose, it's fine by me. Sometimes you reach the limit of your skills. It happens. But obnoxious attitude and then totally wetting the bed? No way. I don't care what the names on their backs are, it's not acceptable.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
  #280
menjek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Damn, I'm biased, but we were better (2 periods). Stana was just too average.

menjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:54 PM
  #281
smi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by menjek View Post
Damn, I'm biased, but we were better (2 periods). Stana was just too average.
Raanta definitely made a big difference in Finland's favor, whereas Stana wasn't very convincing.

smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
  #282
llwyd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
Hmm, really overwhelming support from the fans here after a victorious quarter final match... There are some things we really could learn from the North Americans - one of them is: a win is a win is a win. Who bloody cares about the style points? Yeah, we could improve from this performance, but why not first celebrate a magnificent victory in front of the home audience? I know that as Finns our main occupation is to rain on parades, but isn't this getting bit ridiculous already...

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:12 PM
  #283
menjek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jokista View Post
Raanta definitely made a big difference in Finland's favor, whereas Stana wasn't very convincing.
I saw him only 2 matches, not a big sample, but i would say that guy is superstar calibre.

menjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:18 AM
  #284
roto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I'm well aware they're not the favorites. What I don't accept in any form are attitude issues, and it doesn't matter who's playing. If you give your best, work hard, act humble and still lose, it's fine by me. Sometimes you reach the limit of your skills. It happens. But obnoxious attitude and then totally wetting the bed? No way. I don't care what the names on their backs are, it's not acceptable.
I understand your point, but actually the line between playing hearts out and choking is very thin. Usually Finns work very hard and are very humble, but still fails to get the gold because they can't produce goals. At least we can say that they did their best + other nonsense bs.

Our first line has been excellent at best and subpar at worst. One reason for excellency may be that they don't squeeze the stick too much but they're relaxed and enjoy. I'm sure they learned something from last game and will be more consistent in next game. I wouldn't be more happy if they "work hard" but are not able to produce. We should be happy that we have a line which is able to make goals and not just "work hard".

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:44 AM
  #285
QnebO
Wheel, snipe, celly
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by menjek View Post
I saw him only 2 matches, not a big sample, but i would say that guy is superstar calibre.
Gotta learn better reboundcontroll imo for NHL star.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:53 AM
  #286
Dismas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
I'm happy for the Finns, my dream final Finland-Switzerland is still possible although the game against USA will be a very difficult for the Swiss.

And Finland faces Sweden, a very difficult task for the Finns too, especially because Sweden has a very good goalie.

But Finland reached the semifinal with only 1 respectively since the quarterfinal 2 players from the NHL. May be the presence of the NHL player is a little bit overrated, it seems that the KHL player can do it at least as well as NHLers. In every case the pessimism of the Finns didn't become true the team is much better than you predicted.

The problem is only that Finland depends too much on the first line with Kontiola, Aaltonen and Pesonen almost all goals of the Finns produced this line if for any reason this line doesn't work Finland is lost.

Dismas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.