HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
Yes, you also need to understand that like every single player taken in the 1st round has a NFL contract or wasn't a top 10 talent. The #1 rated player before the combine went in the 3rd round becuase he probably got a signing bonus. Winnipeg expect Malumba to not stick with Green Bays defense and be playing here soon.

As for the QB situation. Most players who become #1 QB's here are discovered south of the border and are not CFL journeymen QB's. Max Hall has an incredible arm and if he doesn't work out its no big deal. Brink and Elliot had their chance and didn't show anything consistent.

Joe Mack is a great talent assessor. People bashed him for what we lost, but in every case the replacement ended up being an upgrade. He is the 1st GM since the 80's to hold onto 1st round draft picks. Winnipeg had by FAR the WORST Canadian content in the CFL when he took over 2 years ago. Brenden LaBatte left becuase Paul LaPolice wanted him to play centre which isnt his natural position.

If the team stinks who really cares? We have the newest 23,000+ venue in Canada since 1988 and the stadium is incredible looking. I was at the Bomber store yesterday and saw into the stands and field.
Lies. For one, how about the aforementioned Brendan Labatte. We replaced him with the horrendous Chris Greaves. That's the first easy one. What about OLB? It was a mess all season after the Kent cut. How about C? Sorenson was not good all season.

This team was horrendous building in a league that does not build. You can restock canadian talent easy enough by holding onto draft picks, that is not a hard thing to do in this league. What matters is wins and losses, and Joe Mack has failed MISERABLY in this regard.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:20 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes, you also need to understand that like every single player taken in the 1st round has a NFL contract or wasn't a top 10 talent. The #1 rated player before the combine went in the 3rd round becuase he probably got a signing bonus. Winnipeg expect Malumba to not stick with Green Bays defense and be playing here soon.

As for the QB situation. Most players who become #1 QB's here are discovered south of the border and are not CFL journeymen QB's. Max Hall has an incredible arm and if he doesn't work out its no big deal. Brink and Elliot had their chance and didn't show anything consistent.

Joe Mack is a great talent assessor. People bashed him for what we lost, but in every case the replacement ended up being an upgrade. He is the 1st GM since the 80's to hold onto 1st round draft picks. Winnipeg had by FAR the WORST Canadian content in the CFL when he took over 2 years ago. Brenden LaBatte left becuase Paul LaPolice wanted him to play centre which isnt his natural position.

If the team stinks who really cares? We have the newest 23,000+ venue in Canada since 1988 and the stadium is incredible looking. I was at the Bomber store yesterday and saw into the stands and field.
Labatte left because mack didnt give him a contract offer until just weeks before free agency opened.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
05-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Umm. Are we thinking of the same QB?

Max Hall (somehow) made it as a pro because he thinks the game pretty well and has a quick release. He does not have a strong arm.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Lies. For one, how about the aforementioned Brendan Labatte. We replaced him with the horrendous Chris Greaves. That's the first easy one. What about OLB? It was a mess all season after the Kent cut. How about C? Sorenson was not good all season.

This team was horrendous building in a league that does not build. You can restock canadian talent easy enough by holding onto draft picks, that is not a hard thing to do in this league. What matters is wins and losses, and Joe Mack has failed MISERABLY in this regard.
Losing LaBatte is LaPolice's fault and you can't replace a Canadian all-star if you have no one in the system. He was our centre in 2011 and that insistence that he stay there from the coach resulted in him leaving. If you want to be technically we replaced LaBatte the guard with Tyson Pencer which isn't even a fair comparison since he was injured and hasn't played for the team.

As for Clint Kent, he spent over 3 weeks on the injured list, started 3 games and played a lot on special teams. Says much when the player we lost starts 3 games.

What about Chad Simpson? Chris Matthews? Jason Vega? they replaced an injured Chris Garrett, an unloyal Greg Carr and Odell Willis and his legal issues.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Labatte left because mack didnt give him a contract offer until just weeks before free agency opened.
That's not true. LaBatte stated that he was prepared to re-sign with Winnipeg, except Paul LaPolice wanted him to play at Centre.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/09/0...-still-unknown

Old
05-17-2013, 12:02 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
That's not true. LaBatte stated that he was prepared to re-sign with Winnipeg, except Paul LaPolice wanted him to play at Centre.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/09/0...-still-unknown
Yeah I know that

He was also stated that he looked Regina because he didnt know if the bombers wanted him because they sent him an offer so late in the game

Old
05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Umm. Are we thinking of the same QB?

Max Hall (somehow) made it as a pro because he thinks the game pretty well and has a quick release. He does not have a strong arm.
You're right. I thought I read soemthing about him having a very strong arm but I see thats not true.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Boreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

While I agree, losing Labatte was not good, as he was a rock, I think you are way off on Chris Greaves. Greaves is solid. He has a good initial punch, quick feet for a guard, and average or better technique. He can pull, has enough drive to get his man going backwards in the run game, and has proven to be more then reliable in pass protect. After January, he is in my opinion, our most valuable lineman. I have absolutely no idea how you could begin to consider him to horrendous.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
While I agree, losing Labatte was not good, as he was a rock, I think you are way off on Chris Greaves. Greaves is solid. He has a good initial punch, quick feet for a guard, and average or better technique. He can pull, has enough drive to get his man going backwards in the run game, and has proven to be more then reliable in pass protect. After January, he is in my opinion, our most valuable lineman. I have absolutely no idea how you could begin to consider him to horrendous.
Glenn January sucks. He misreads play constantly, can't deal with speed, does not get to second level, cannot move to the outside very quick. I'll give him he was mediocre last year, his best season ever, but as an import he needs to be 1000x better than mediocre.

Greaves was a complete mess for the first half of the year. Constant holding calls, gets beat very easily with double moves, has trouble understanding his role and picking up the right guys on stunts, does not get to the second level.

Both of these guys are why we had to run to the right side all season last year. The left side was a leaking bucket. Not that our right side was much better mind you, but it was somewhat, at least Morley was somewhat decent. Actually Boatman was brutal as well.

That line overall is just a mess. We should just get rid of them all, IMO, and rebuild the thing. It's been a problem since the day Mack took over and he has done absolutely nothing to resolve this issue.

Mack is a failure of a GM. You do not "build" in the CFL like in the NHL. The CFL is a league with lots of talent available year after year, you can build a team in an off-season. You can make more changes AND you can do it while collecting canadians. Not too mention for all the praise Mack has gotten for his "canadian" talent development, what have we seen with it? A below average MLB? A receiver who had a horrendous sophmore year? And we lose starting canadians at DT, S for no good reason. Yeah, great development.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:10 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
we got Max Hall? Guy was a stud at BYU really think he has a good chance at putting up big numbers in the CFL

Old
05-19-2013, 04:02 PM
jetsfan8

getting ready for a hilarious fun filled gong show year

i got my paper bags ready

Old
05-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Jetsfan79

I'm probably making something out of nothing here but I was checking out the Virtual tour for IG field on the bomber's site and every corner/cornerish upper bowl view I chose (like any row on section 236 or 235), the back corner of the closest end zone (from the seat's POV) is not entirely visible. I do know there were going to be some obstructed seats but I'm seeing this for entire sections in all 4 corners of the stadium and its not due to hand rails but just the way the stadium was designed. Pls tell me Im wrong here. Cause I want to be.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 05-25-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I work at IG and we get a 2-hour tour of the place on Tuesday. If we go to the upper bowls I'll take a look and maybe snap a picture if I can.

05-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Jetsfan79

^^That would be appreciated. In the meantime I found this pic which seems to confirm the end zone corner is obstructed in certain sections:

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/i...NES_3_1661.jpg

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 05-25-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Jetsfan79

I did some more viewing on the virtual tour and from what I can tell, the back corner endzone pylon is not visible in any of these sections:

201-205
210-215
223-227
232-237
136 row 13 or higher
144 row 13 or higher
121 row 13 or higher
122 row 13 or higher
101 row 13 or higher
114 row 13 or higher
113 row 13 or higher

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 05-25-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Meh, I don't consider it that big a deal to be honest. It's one small part of the field where there's hardly any action, I'll take 3 or 4 obstructed plays a season to have the seating area much closer to the field.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:02 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

A least they did a handful of park and rides around town

One is close to me.... Well, closeish

Last edited by King Woodballs: 05-25-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
^^That would be appreciated. In the meantime I found this pic which seems to confirm the end zone corner is obstructed in certain sections:

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/i...NES_3_1661.jpg
I don't understand why some people are making a big deal of this. So you can't see 5-10ish feet in the end zone? Really? Who cares. How often do you look at that tiny triangular patch of "field" anyways. I would bet 0.000001% of the time. Nothing of importance happens there. If people want to gripe about this, then I think those are the people that will never be satisfied with anything.

Old
05-25-2013, 04:44 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
I'm probably making something out of nothing here but I was checking out the Virtual tour for IG field on the bomber's site and every corner/cornerish upper bowl view I chose (like any row on section 236 or 235), the back corner of the closest end zone (from the seat's POV) is not entirely visible. I do know there were going to be some obstructed seats but I'm seeing this for entire sections in all 4 corners of the stadium and its not due to hand rails but just the way the stadium was designed. Pls tell me Im wrong here. Cause I want to be.
It's true...but not that big a deal. It's a small corner of the field and the endzone at that. It's the price you pay for being closer to the action. Anyways, you can always look up at the giant scoreboards if a pass happens to be in that general area.

These types of obstructions seem to be common in new stadiums too. Yankee stadium, Marlins stadium and Giants stadium have obstructed seats worse than the Bombers. Marlins stadium being the worst - if you sit in the upper deck in left or right field corners you can't see any of the outfield below you.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:21 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It's true...but not that big a deal. It's a small corner of the field and the endzone at that. It's the price you pay for being closer to the action. Anyways, you can always look up at the giant scoreboards if a pass happens to be in that general area.

These types of obstructions seem to be common in new stadiums too. Yankee stadium, Marlins stadium and Giants stadium have obstructed seats worse than the Bombers. Marlins stadium being the worst - if you sit in the upper deck in left or right field corners you can't see any of the outfield below you.
How would anyone know about obstructed view in Miamis stadium

Old
05-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Scheifele55

Does it really matter that a few seats may obstruct a few feet of the endzone? Like seriously. We have the newest 30000+ seat venue in all of Canada since 1987 and you look for small things to complain about...

Are you going to complain that you had an unpopped piece of popcorn when the season starts?

If it bothers people that the Blue Bombers may have a bad season, maybe they should permanently jump off the bandwagon. While you are at it, jump off the Jets one too.

Old
05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Album with some okay pictures I took today.

http://imgur.com/a/7iPQS

Old
05-28-2013, 09:03 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post

Some good picks Hammer Slammer. Enjoyed seeing some of those pics of from the suite levels - had not seen anything from there up until now.

That room that the Bombers will eat in on the suite level, will that be a place for suite holders to chow down once the season begins?

I'd like to see some pics of the inside of the giant restaurant/lounge facing university crescent. Is it not finished yet?

Old
05-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post

Looks nice. I'm digging those big screens. Also the upper deck seats have an impressive view of everything. Thanks for posting those.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
That room that the Bombers will eat in on the suite level, will that be a place for suite holders to chow down once the season begins
I'd assume so. There's also that other lounge spot. Not sure if it's for suite holders or just certain fancy people.

Quote:
I'd like to see some pics of the inside of the giant restaurant/lounge facing university crescent. Is it not finished yet?
Nah they wouldn't let us go on the East side yet. They're apparently still doing a lot of finishing touches so there were quite a few workers over there. The West side is 99.5% done.

Also didn't get to see the dressing rooms/player's lounge since a lot of the players were hanging out there and you don't really want to have tour people poking their heads in everywhere down there.

Closed Thread