HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Would you welcome a Mason/Heeter tandem next year?

View Poll Results: Yes or No
Yes Mason is the guy and Heeter would be fine as backup. 10 11.24%
NO! I want other options. 74 83.15%
I'm unsure. 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Buying out Bryz because of scuffles with the media would be sending the message to the media that they actually mean something. We need to avoid that at all costs. Their insignificance (especially panaccio) cannot be stressed enough.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:58 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
cuz mason is scary good. he looked like a 2009 steve mason. to call him good is an understatement, he is light years better than good. as this young team grows, he is the guy, that gives us the best chance of reaching the promised land. and now onto heeter. basically the exact opposite of mason, scary bad. i can see us going with mason,bryz, and a fairly well rested mason taking us on a long playoff run. bryz then would get amnestied next off season.
Maybe a bit premature on the Mason praise but I agree he looked good in his few games with us last year. Heeter is a decent option if a goalie goes down with injury but I'd definitely rather bring in a new guy or keep Bryz for one more year than roll with Mason/Heeter.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:35 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Heeter hasnt even shown he can play at the AHL level consistently

Chances are he won't amount to anymore than a minor league goalie
This.

Most of us have high hopes for Mason but Heeter is not NHL calibre right now.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:14 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

1) Keep Bryzgalov / Mason tandem.
2) Store amnesty buyout papers in a "In case of emergency, break glass" case above Bryzgalov's dressing room stall.
3) Replace Panaccio with Heeter.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:42 AM
dawkins121

I'm all for a platoon system moving forward but I think Bryz is a much better option than Heeter. Amnesty or not we are going to have to pay him either way, might as well make him play for it another year.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:02 AM
DeflatedFootball7

I thought about the European option myself but after the Hovinen fiasco, "proven" Euro goalies scare me. Heeter was light years better then Hovinen, so what happens if we sign Rantta or similar and the same thing happens? At least Cal has NA experience.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:07 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
When has Bryzgalov *****ed about anything other than the Philadelphia media?
Never, flyers fans in general just hate him. And I think hate is the proper word.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:14 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I thought about the European option myself but after the Hovinen fiasco, "proven" Euro goalies scare me. Heeter was light years better then Hovinen, so what happens if we sign Rantta or similar and the same thing happens? At least Cal has NA experience.
I wouldn't consider Hovinen proven and there's little doubt in my mind that is the better goalie then Heeter he just had a terrible attitude cause he was put in the ECHL. He was put there to get the most playing time to adjust to the NA game granted but from what I understand he wasn't working very hard and just wanted to leave

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If Bryz is bought out and so is Luongo, I really wouldn't mind a Mason/Luongo tandem.

What sort of contract are do we think, realistically, Luongo will get if he's bought out?
I would hope he would take 3 years, $12 million to play in Philly.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Never, flyers fans in general just hate him. And I think hate is the proper word.
That's what I'm saying, "oh Bryz will ***** when he doesn't get enough starts, he'll cry to the media." I don't recall ever hearing him do so. The only thing I can ever remember was the whole thermos thing he said after Bob got the winter classic start. That was pretty harmless.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:49 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I'm all for a platoon system moving forward but I think Bryz is a much better option than Heeter. Amnesty or not we are going to have to pay him either way, might as well make him play for it another year.
I think it is pretty clear he won't be finishing out the 9 year deal barring a drastic change in his play/personality. Sooner the better if you ask me.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

I am one of the rare ones on here that actually would buy out Bryz and go with Tim Thomas/Steve Mason tandem. Tim Thomas hopefully would sign at 3-.35 million to prove he can still go at it. We all seen how the guy can play, and before he went into his sabbatical, he was playing vezina level hockey.

Thomas
Mason

I would love that. I am not a fan of Bryz nor his contract. Just do the inevitable and get rid of him now.

Also not too long ago Thomas was rumored to want to play for us.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Jray42

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I am one of the rare ones on here that actually would buy out Bryz and go with Tim Thomas/Steve Mason tandem. Tim Thomas hopefully would sign at 3-.35 million to prove he can still go at it. We all seen how the guy can play, and before he went into his sabbatical, he was playing vezina level hockey.

Thomas
Mason

I would love that. I am not a fan of Bryz nor his contract. Just do the inevitable and get rid of him now.

Also not too long ago Thomas was rumored to want to play for us.
Want no parts of Tim Thomas. Didn't want him after his beast year, certainly don't want him now.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Want no parts of Tim Thomas. Didn't want him after his beast year, certainly don't want him now.
What it is to me is who gives me the better chance to win/compared to salary? Tim Thomas any day of the week gives the Flyers a better chance to win IMO. If you can have him at a lower salary than Bryz I feel it's a no brainer. One year deals until he wants to retire or shows he can't play at that level anymore. Even at 39 right now, I would take him every day of the week over Bryz. He has shown late in his career he can shoulder a load and lead a team. He also has done what this team hasn't seen in quite some time, which is be that guy in the playoffs. He can lead a team all the way to the cup by himself.

Also, I don't care about his political views or what not, if he gives me a better chance to win the game and succeed in the playoffs, I am willing to ride him.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If Bryz is bought out and so is Luongo, I really wouldn't mind a Mason/Luongo tandem.

What sort of contract are do we think, realistically, Luongo will get if he's bought out?
I'd love that. The Canucks are my WC team so I keep up with them quite a bit. I don't think Lu would ask for anything outrageous, he was upset when they couldn't trade him and said he knows his contract sucks. But I also think Lu wants to be a starter, but Mason hasn't exactly proven himself as a starter yet either so I can see Lu getting more starts but both of them being close. I think that would be a good way to transition Mason into the starting role.

Flyers2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:38 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
What it is to me is who gives me the better chance to win/compared to salary? Tim Thomas any day of the week gives the Flyers a better chance to win IMO. If you can have him at a lower salary than Bryz I feel it's a no brainer. One year deals until he wants to retire or shows he can't play at that level anymore. Even at 39 right now, I would take him every day of the week over Bryz. He has shown late in his career he can shoulder a load and lead a team. He also has done what this team hasn't seen in quite some time, which is be that guy in the playoffs. He can lead a team all the way to the cup by himself.

Also, I don't care about his political views or what not, if he gives me a better chance to win the game and succeed in the playoffs, I am willing to ride him.
A 39 year old who sat out a full year of hockey. No thanks.

Is it even guaranteed that he'll be coming back to the NHL?

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
A 39 year old who sat out a full year of hockey. No thanks.

Is it even guaranteed that he'll be coming back to the NHL?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=tim+thomas

It seems like he does want to play. He wants to try and compete for the Olympics as well.

Honestly the whole year off thing is being blown out of proportion I think just a little. He didn't start playing in the NHL until later in his career also. His body hasn't taken all the rigors these younger goalies have taken playing at such a high level for so long. I would be willing to roll the dice with him over Bryz, especially at a lower/short deal.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:48 AM
JVR21
G

If there are no other goalie options out there, I'd welcome Mason/Heeter over Bryz/Anyone. **** Bryz.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Curufinwe

I'd take Thomas for a year if his contract included a clause agreeing to go to the White House in the event the Flyers won the Cup.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:51 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I wouldn't consider Hovinen proven and there's little doubt in my mind that is the better goalie then Heeter he just had a terrible attitude cause he was put in the ECHL. He was put there to get the most playing time to adjust to the NA game granted but from what I understand he wasn't working very hard and just wanted to leave
it baffles me how some people don't understand that they have to pay their dues and work their way up if they're a new employee (so to speak)

I see that with a lot of university/college students that expect to be at the top of their field the moment they graduate

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
it baffles me how some people don't understand that they have to pay their dues and work their way up if they're a new employee (so to speak)

I see that with a lot of university/college students that expect to be at the top of their field the moment they graduate
I couldn't agree more with this. The sense of entitlement is ridiculous

JDinklage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:07 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I'd take Thomas for a year if his contract included a clause agreeing to go to the White House in the event the Flyers won the Cup.
It's a stupid tradition anyway. I don't blame him for not wanting to hang out a bunch of dumb politicians.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Ryker

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I couldn't agree more with this. The sense of entitlement is ridiculous
Those European goalies do work their way up. Sending them to the ECHL is like them working their way up, getting kicked and trodden on, and then having them work their way up again, in contrast to NA goalies, who only have to go through the process once.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ght=tim+thomas

It seems like he does want to play. He wants to try and compete for the Olympics as well.

Honestly the whole year off thing is being blown out of proportion I think just a little. He didn't start playing in the NHL until later in his career also. His body hasn't taken all the rigors these younger goalies have taken playing at such a high level for so long. I would be willing to roll the dice with him over Bryz, especially at a lower/short deal.
I'm not so sure. Even when he was good he was inconsistent season to season. If it was a one year deal, I wouldn't be too upset though.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Delete.