HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Training Camp

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 02:50 PM
  #726
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,754
vCash: 500
In other news....no sure if you saw this but ESPN announced that it will be the only home of the US Open tennis tourney in 2015.

This means the NFL schedule is freed up....

My prediction....

The NFL will go with a dual DHs on CBS and FOX in weeks 1 and 17 and then have another dual DH sometime in the season (likely November during the TV ratings period) either week 10 or 11 or week 16. The remaining 14 weeks one would be the DH network.

Djp is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 03:43 PM
  #727
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,055
vCash: 50
Good, maybe the Bills will be able to get on TV ever. I can't watch them without having to drive 30 minutes to Jimmy's, unless I want to go to a regular crappy sports bar and try to watch the game from across the room with no sound.

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 11:25 PM
  #728
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
In other news....no sure if you saw this but ESPN announced that it will be the only home of the US Open tennis tourney in 2015.

This means the NFL schedule is freed up....

My prediction....

The NFL will go with a dual DHs on CBS and FOX in weeks 1 and 17 and then have another dual DH sometime in the season (likely November during the TV ratings period) either week 10 or 11 or week 16. The remaining 14 weeks one would be the DH network.
Just make each station a DH already every week. The 4pm game is usually trash.

SFTC Addict is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:15 AM
  #729
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,406
vCash: 500
I was reading an article about EJ from an analyst (can't seem to find it now) where the analyst was a little "wary" of EJs accuracy. He stated his completion % could have been better and at 67% in college, rule of thumb is to subtract 10 points and that's what the QB will usually get in the pros their first few years.It seems a lot of other scouting reports mention Manuel's accuracy as a possible weakness.The funny thing is,since 1977 EJ Manuel actually has the 20th best Career completion % in NCAA history.I was mad at the pick at the time of the draft but he's warming up to me.I know rookie camps and mini camps are usually useless in judging a player, but he is saying the right thing and is showing a rocket arm and good leadership.I'm praying he is finally the franchise QB we have been looking for since Jim Kelly.


Last edited by Layne Staley: 05-17-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Layne Staley is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 05:55 AM
  #730
Mergus merganser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I was reading an article about EJ from an analyst (can't seem to find it now) where the analyst was a little "wary" of EJs accuracy. He stated his completion % could have been better and at 67% in college, rule of thumb is to subtract 10 points and that's what the QB will usually get in the pros their first few years.It seems a lot of other scouting reports mention Manuel's accuracy as a possible weakness.The funny thing is,since 1977 EJ Manuel actually has the 20th best Career completion % in NCAA history.I was mad at the pick at the time of the draft but he's warming up to me.I know rookie camps and mini camps are usually useless in judging a player, but he is saying the right thing and is showing a rocket arm and good leadership.I'm praying he is finally the franchise QB we have been looking for since Jim Kelly.

Andrew Luck Senior Season = 71.3%; First NFL season = 54.1%; dropped a total of 17.2%
RG3 Senior Season = 72.4%; First NFL season = 65.6%; dropped a total of 6.8%
Ryan Tannehill Senior Season = 61.6%; First NFL season = 58.3%; dropped a total of 4.1%
Russell Wilson Senior Season = 72.8%; First NFL season = 64.1%; dropped a total of 8.7%

So 3 out of 4 rookie QB's dropped their completion percentage less than 10%.

Seems like QB's in college who have a huge senior season that is no where close to their previous seasons are more likely to have a bigger drop. College stats mean so little because of the level of competition and the offensive scheme.

EJ was consistent at 65-69%. Russell Wilson went from 54% to 72.8% through his college career. Luck went form 56% to 71%. Tannehill went from 65% to 61%. RG3 went from 60% to 72%.

So the bottom line is that his % will drop, but 10% may be an exaggeration. If he can stick at around 62%, would it be that bad?

Tom Brady's completion percentage last season.... 63%. Matt Stafford, 59%. Eli 59%.

Mergus merganser is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 07:52 AM
  #731
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Andrew Luck Senior Season = 71.3%; First NFL season = 54.1%; dropped a total of 17.2%
RG3 Senior Season = 72.4%; First NFL season = 65.6%; dropped a total of 6.8%
Ryan Tannehill Senior Season = 61.6%; First NFL season = 58.3%; dropped a total of 4.1%
Russell Wilson Senior Season = 72.8%; First NFL season = 64.1%; dropped a total of 8.7%

So 3 out of 4 rookie QB's dropped their completion percentage less than 10%.

Seems like QB's in college who have a huge senior season that is no where close to their previous seasons are more likely to have a bigger drop. College stats mean so little because of the level of competition and the offensive scheme.

EJ was consistent at 65-69%. Russell Wilson went from 54% to 72.8% through his college career. Luck went form 56% to 71%. Tannehill went from 65% to 61%. RG3 went from 60% to 72%.

So the bottom line is that his % will drop, but 10% may be an exaggeration. If he can stick at around 62%, would it be that bad?

Tom Brady's completion percentage last season.... 63%. Matt Stafford, 59%. Eli 59%.
Great post.

Tim Murray is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 08:28 AM
  #732
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,055
vCash: 50
If he and Kolb are about equal (and the things I've heard are correct), I'd prefer him to sit. Let Kolb run the show for a year and really hammer home the technical improvements. I'm actually quite excited for preseason and am even considering going to FedEx Field for the preseason game (ordinarily I'd jump at the chance, but I ****ing hate FedEx Field).

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:01 AM
  #733
whiplash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
If he and Kolb are about equal (and the things I've heard are correct), I'd prefer him to sit. Let Kolb run the show for a year and really hammer home the technical improvements. I'm actually quite excited for preseason and am even considering going to FedEx Field for the preseason game (ordinarily I'd jump at the chance, but I ****ing hate FedEx Field).
I'd be fine with this, holding off on EJ until he's fully prepped. Kolb should be more than capable of handing the ball off 40 times a game. Because that should probably be their gameplan with him under center.

Alternatively, if EJ really shines in camp and preseason, I wouldn't have a problem starting him this year

whiplash is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
  #734
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Andrew Luck Senior Season = 71.3%; First NFL season = 54.1%; dropped a total of 17.2%
RG3 Senior Season = 72.4%; First NFL season = 65.6%; dropped a total of 6.8%
Ryan Tannehill Senior Season = 61.6%; First NFL season = 58.3%; dropped a total of 4.1%
Russell Wilson Senior Season = 72.8%; First NFL season = 64.1%; dropped a total of 8.7%

So 3 out of 4 rookie QB's dropped their completion percentage less than 10%.

Seems like QB's in college who have a huge senior season that is no where close to their previous seasons are more likely to have a bigger drop. College stats mean so little because of the level of competition and the offensive scheme.

EJ was consistent at 65-69%. Russell Wilson went from 54% to 72.8% through his college career. Luck went form 56% to 71%. Tannehill went from 65% to 61%. RG3 went from 60% to 72%.

So the bottom line is that his % will drop, but 10% may be an exaggeration. If he can stick at around 62%, would it be that bad?

Tom Brady's completion percentage last season.... 63%. Matt Stafford, 59%. Eli 59%.
I totally agree.And I found the article, it was written by Gil Brandt

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rimed-to-shine

"Hackett acknowledged that Manuel needs to improve his footwork, but he thinks some tweaking should solve those issues. Manuel did have a less-than-optimal completion rate of 68 percent last season, which is a cause for concern. (The rule of thumb when it comes to projecting how that number will translate to the NFL is to drop it by 10 percent.) In an attempt to help him be more accurate, the Bills are having Manuel change how he holds the football."

I just think that saying the 20th best completion % in NCAA history since 1977 is less then optimal is pretty mystifying. That sports science with Manuel showed that he was the most accurate QB they had on the show in that one drill with the mid range passes.

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:39 PM
  #735
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT
 
Fire Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Old Dominion State
Country: United States
Posts: 5,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Good, maybe the Bills will be able to get on TV ever. I can't watch them without having to drive 30 minutes to Jimmy's, unless I want to go to a regular crappy sports bar and try to watch the game from across the room with no sound.

JOTT is worth the drive!!!

Fire Me is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:58 PM
  #736
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me View Post
JOTT is worth the drive!!!
It's true, though I do live quite close to Grevey's, which I haven't tried recently and will be giving a shot (thanks to djp for the tip )

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  #737
whiplash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I totally agree.And I found the article, it was written by Gil Brandt

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rimed-to-shine

"Hackett acknowledged that Manuel needs to improve his footwork, but he thinks some tweaking should solve those issues. Manuel did have a less-than-optimal completion rate of 68 percent last season, which is a cause for concern. (The rule of thumb when it comes to projecting how that number will translate to the NFL is to drop it by 10 percent.) In an attempt to help him be more accurate, the Bills are having Manuel change how he holds the football."

I just think that saying the 20th best completion % in NCAA history since 1977 is less then optimal is pretty mystifying. That sports science with Manuel showed that he was the most accurate QB they had on the show in that one drill with the mid range passes.
So tied for 8th best in the NCAA and having the 2nd highest % amongst top valued QBs is sub-optimal. The rest of the article was fairly level headed but I'm not sure what he was thinking when he wrote that...

whiplash is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 08:24 PM
  #738
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...-november.html

Quote:
Report: Mario Williams texted about suicide, narcotics use in November
May 17, 2013 - 8:48 PM
By Tim Graham

Buffalo Bills pass-rusher Mario Williams mentioned committing suicide and taking narcotics -- and his ex-fiancee found the threat credible enough to plan an intervention -- the Houston Chronicle has reported.

sba is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 08:40 PM
  #739
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,753
vCash: 600
The day was the last game against the Patriots. He said he took 3 Hydrocodones in the morning and was planning on taking 2 more on plane trip and "dosing" off. He was obviously depressed about the break up and sent her these messages. We've all said and done stupid things after a girl breaks up with us (not as stupid as this)... I don't think it's as big of a deal as it seems.

dma0034 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:17 AM
  #740
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,388
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
The day was the last game against the Patriots. He said he took 3 Hydrocodones in the morning and was planning on taking 2 more on plane trip and "dosing" off. He was obviously depressed about the break up and sent her these messages. We've all said and done stupid things after a girl breaks up with us (not as stupid as this)... I don't think it's as big of a deal as it seems.
Someone should tell him that he's getting like 1500 mg of liver-killing tylenol if he's taking 3 at a time (assuming the hydrocodone is paired with tylenol as it usually is).

Anyhow, you can expect a lot of nonsense like this to come out from her defense team. Mario Williams sent "depressed" texts post-breakup while under the influence. Golly gee. I suppose this in their mind somehow affects whether or not she should return the ridiculously expensive engagement ring?

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:22 AM
  #741
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Someone should tell him that he's getting like 1500 mg of liver-killing tylenol if he's taking 3 at a time (assuming the hydrocodone is paired with tylenol as it usually is).

Anyhow, you can expect a lot of nonsense like this to come out from her defense team. Mario Williams sent "depressed" texts post-breakup while under the influence. Golly gee. I suppose this in their mind somehow affects whether or not she should return the ridiculously expensive engagement ring?
1500 mg of acetaminophen ain't ****. The daily limit is like 3,000-4,000 and I have taken much more. And hydrocodone is always paired with acetaminophen, unless it was from a compound pharmacy and it is just pure hydrocodone (not likely and it would make it schedule II). Also, they could be norcos which come with 325 mg of acetaminophen. This whole thing is stupid, Mario took 3 tabs? Better send him to rehab Tabs are the second weakest opiate commonly prescribed after codeine. Now, if we was addicted to Oxymorphone or something like that, then you worry. Not tabs though, which literally almost every player takes (and is prescribed by the team doctor)

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 10:05 AM
  #742
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,388
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
1500 mg of acetaminophen ain't ****. The daily limit is like 3,000-4,000 and I have taken much more. And hydrocodone is always paired with acetaminophen, unless it was from a compound pharmacy and it is just pure hydrocodone (not likely and it would make it schedule II). Also, they could be norcos which come with 325 mg of acetaminophen. This whole thing is stupid, Mario took 3 tabs? Better send him to rehab Tabs are the second weakest opiate commonly prescribed after codeine. Now, if we was addicted to Oxymorphone or something like that, then you worry. Not tabs though, which literally almost every player takes (and is prescribed by the team doctor)
I'm aware of all of this, the point is if he's taking 3 at a time and taking it x times a day then he could easily cause liver damage. The "daily limit" is a meaningless number, a guideline. Toxicity limit (e.g. overdose) isn't required to create liver damage. Not to derail this further but it's nonsense that they combine the drugs, as they could easily be prescribed separately. The whole reason is so that drug 'abusers' have to take a dangerous level of acetaminophen to get a comparable high from stronger opiods, with the actual effect being that the drug use becomes much more dangerous to a person's health. It's a ridiculous, misguided policy.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 12:56 PM
  #743
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'm aware of all of this, the point is if he's taking 3 at a time and taking it x times a day then he could easily cause liver damage. The "daily limit" is a meaningless number, a guideline. Toxicity limit (e.g. overdose) isn't required to create liver damage. Not to derail this further but it's nonsense that they combine the drugs, as they could easily be prescribed separately. The whole reason is so that drug 'abusers' have to take a dangerous level of acetaminophen to get a comparable high from stronger opiods, with the actual effect being that the drug use becomes much more dangerous to a person's health. It's a ridiculous, misguided policy.
That's the war on drugs for ya.And your totally right, they don't care if the side effects are very harmful/kill you, as long as it's harder for you to get high then the govt is happy

I really hate this lady for dragging Mario down this.Now it's all over ESPN and people think he really is suicidal.The girls a gold digging *****, give back the ring to Mario you succubus.She's not even that good looking!Those texts Mario sent he probably wasn't even serious, just wanting some attention.I also find it comical that he thinks 50 mg of Hydrocodone would make a 6'4, 270 pound athlete "fade away"

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:46 PM
  #744
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Hopefully this explains why Stupid Mario for the most part was dreadful last season.

As for Manuel interesting post but theres a lot to factor into NCAA. A lot of which if you watch I don't need to explain. ACC isnt a tough conference either. Would love to see who the 19 other QBs were though.

Anything above 50% is good. So if you throw 2 passes...one will be caught.

SFTC Addict is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 02:59 PM
  #745
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar
 
Taro Tsujimoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clarence Center, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,665
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Manuel's finding the Bills' offense easier to learn than FSU's: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...-state-offense


Last edited by Taro Tsujimoto: 05-19-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Taro Tsujimoto is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  #746
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar
 
Taro Tsujimoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clarence Center, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,665
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Woods signed: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...four-year-pact

Only draft pick left to sign now is Manuel.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 10:14 PM
  #747
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Manuel's finding the Bills' offense easier to learn than FSU's: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...-state-offense
It should be harder to be honest. this Marrone offense sounds complex....compared to Gailey and Jauron.

SFTC Addict is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 10:43 AM
  #748
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,198
vCash: 500
Colin Brown now getting starting reps at LG according to Joe B. I think that's what most people expected.

As for Manuel, I would be careful evaluating his comp.%. A lot of times at FSU, the wideouts slowed down or stopped to receive his throws. That might lend to good comp.% in college, but those aren't completions in the NFL. You'll see this on practically all of his game tape.

Takeo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
  #749
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
Woods interview on Murph's show was pretty good. Sounds like the kids exceptionally mature on the field for his age.

Imlach a cup is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 02:18 AM
  #750
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,753
vCash: 600
Good article. A bit of an over-exaggeration.

Why E.J Manuel Was The Best Pick In The 2013 NFL Draft
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...2013-nfl-draft

dma0034 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.