HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
I think Carolina will take Monahan. Calgary takes Lindholm.

Oilers will take Nurse/Zadarov/Ristolainen or trade the pick.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:54 AM
voxel

If Nurse has "hockey IQ" issues according to scouting reports then I want nothing to do with him. i.e I like MPS and all, but you can't draft based on size + speed and ignore hockey sense.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
If Nurse has "hockey IQ" issues according to scouting reports then I want nothing to do with him. i.e I like MPS and all, but you can't draft based on size + speed and ignore hockey sense.
MPS isn't going to smash your face in for looking side ways at Nugent Hopkins though. Nurse will.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
MPS isn't going to smash your face in for looking side ways at Nugent Hopkins though. Nurse will.
Have you seen Nurse play lots? I'm wondering if he got more physical and aggressive as this season wore on, maybe understanding he can intimidate people physically.

6 fights in two years isn't a big number for a guy who is developing a calling card as a nasty, physical player. Perhaps that's a product of no one wanting to fight him?

Old
05-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Soundwave

He may not fight a ton, but I think he has a Pronger-esque mean streak (granted he's not as talented as Pronger obviously). He will stick up for a teammate IMO.

Being 6 foot 5 doesn't hurt either.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
I'm not sure how one could argue that MPS lacks hockey sense. He lacks some physicality and has had confidence issues adjusting to the NHL. And, he had to work on the defensive side of the game when he broke into the league, but he'll be on the good side of 40 points next season. MPS has been feeling his way around and it's taken him a while to find his groove, but he is finding it. This season MPS will drive to the net more consistently and become much more of a threat offensively. There was certainly no mention of his lack of "hockey sense" in any of the scouting reports that I've ever seen. In fact, Hockey's Future says, "Offensively, he is also blessed with above average hockey sense, nice technical skills and the ability to set up his teammates with passes."

Old
05-17-2013, 09:20 AM
BarDownBobo

Ok, so seeing as I have seen neither play, why do people feel Nurse>Zadorov?

Old
05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
It's progression. I didn't see Nurse last year but apparently he was nothing to write home about. Then this season he took a leap up. Watching him in early November and then in February and few times in late March he got better and better every time. So he keeps showing improvement which usually excites scouts.

The other thing about Nurse is that he has a lot of room to fill out so people are picturing what he might look like fully filled out and they probably salivate.

He is a great skater with good agility so that is a plus. I said in earlier posts that I haven't seen the offensive side that others talk about with Nurse but scouts do mention it so that is probably why he gets ranked ahead of Z.

Zadarov is already physically mature so he probably doesn't have as much room to grow. Also Z did struggle with faster forwards at times so that is another point In favor for Nurse.

I haven't watched London in the playoffs yet so it will be interesting to see Zs development at Mem Cup

Old
05-17-2013, 09:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Nurse was impressive at last year's U-18 tourney. He must have done something right to even make that team.

I like them both actually. I saw Zadorov in a playoff game earlier this season and he was impressive. Ive seen him in some regular season games this season as well. He is huge and he is physical. He plays on the pp as well. Skates pretty good for a big guy too.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:48 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
What scouting report questions his hockey IQ? I can see people thinking his offence not translating because he doesn't exactly have the hardest shot but he has done a great job this year in addressing his decision making. Hockey sense isn't an issue.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:51 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I'm a big fan of nurse but I would be happy with either defenceman. I think Nurse is more raw at this point and probably has a better all around game. Nurse also seems to bring more emotion and leadership to the team. Zadorov will probably be more defensive, lay out the body more and bring a big shot from the point. He's probably going to be that pillar of strength on the backend that a team can rely on to shutdown other teams top lines.

Last edited by DousedInOil: 05-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM
BarDownBobo

Ok cool thanks guys. I'm heading out to Saskatoon today, really excited to see Zadorov and the rest of the Knights squad.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
nando2392

I would take Ristolainen or Pulock over Zadorov and Nurse

Old
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
McNutty780

Donavan McNabbs Nephew! Hopefully he's just as tough (and mcnabb was pretty tough in his prime days)

Old
05-17-2013, 11:17 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post
Donavan McNabbs Nephew! Hopefully he's just as tough (and mcnabb was pretty tough in his prime days)
He's only related to McNabb by mariage.

05-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Mikey71

I have seen Nurse a lot here in the Soo and there are some important factors that need mentioned, all just my opinion of course.

First, don't worry too much about his point totals. For the last couple of years, The Soo's offense and specifically PP went thru Nick Cousins and more importantly Ryan Sproul. Sproul is the big one since the big shot opportunity from the point on the PP went thru him first and formost. Sproul's PP partner on defence was Colin Miller, who as his point totals and him also being an overage, is understandable. I really look for his numbers to make a big jump next season with both Miller and Sproul having graduated from the OHL. I kind of see a Justin Shultz style of shot selection from Nurse rather than a booming shot kind of deal. He also skates well and doesn't mind trying an end to end rush from time, with occasional success.

Next thing is his fighting. The OHL has rules in place now for fighting where after 10 fights in a season, you start getting suspended for each fight(I don't recall off hand what the formula is though). It gives a whole new meaning to having to pick your spots on when to fight. As for his ability to fight, I guess I would maybe put him in a light heavyweight division. If he were only a fighter then it may not be a big deal, but when he will also evolve into a guy out in the final minute of a game either ahead by a goal, tied, or down by a goal, that is pretty impressive. He is more valuable with his gloves on, but can take care of business with them off when needed.

As for his size, yeah he is lanky, but not awkward at all and almost freakishly strong, being a gym rat. He will bulk up but it has to be the right type of weight. It has to come naturally and with his bloodlines (dad and uncle), it will come. As much as he can physically dominate at times now, he really will be a handful even amongst NHL players older than him.

Do I hope we draft him? In order, I want to find a way to get Barkov if it were at all possible, I would be pretty happy for Monahan too, but would put Nurse in a fairly close 3rd. He has been groomed by his dad and uncle on how to be a pro and he gets it. He knows what it takes, carries himself well off ice, and looks in the mirror when everyone has to figure out how the team can get better. IMHO he will be a game changer. We have a few of them up front and Nurse, I think, will be a different type of one on the blueline.

Sorry for the novel.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey71 View Post
I have seen Nurse a lot here in the Soo and there are some important factors that need mentioned, all just my opinion of course.

First, don't worry too much about his point totals. For the last couple of years, The Soo's offense and specifically PP went thru Nick Cousins and more importantly Ryan Sproul. Sproul is the big one since the big shot opportunity from the point on the PP went thru him first and formost. Sproul's PP partner on defence was Colin Miller, who as his point totals and him also being an overage, is understandable. I really look for his numbers to make a big jump next season with both Miller and Sproul having graduated from the OHL. I kind of see a Justin Shultz style of shot selection from Nurse rather than a booming shot kind of deal. He also skates well and doesn't mind trying an end to end rush from time, with occasional success.

Next thing is his fighting. The OHL has rules in place now for fighting where after 10 fights in a season, you start getting suspended for each fight(I don't recall off hand what the formula is though). It gives a whole new meaning to having to pick your spots on when to fight. As for his ability to fight, I guess I would maybe put him in a light heavyweight division. If he were only a fighter then it may not be a big deal, but when he will also evolve into a guy out in the final minute of a game either ahead by a goal, tied, or down by a goal, that is pretty impressive. He is more valuable with his gloves on, but can take care of business with them off when needed.

As for his size, yeah he is lanky, but not awkward at all and almost freakishly strong, being a gym rat. He will bulk up but it has to be the right type of weight. It has to come naturally and with his bloodlines (dad and uncle), it will come. As much as he can physically dominate at times now, he really will be a handful even amongst NHL players older than him.

Do I hope we draft him? In order, I want to find a way to get Barkov if it were at all possible, I would be pretty happy for Monahan too, but would put Nurse in a fairly close 3rd. He has been groomed by his dad and uncle on how to be a pro and he gets it. He knows what it takes, carries himself well off ice, and looks in the mirror when everyone has to figure out how the team can get better. IMHO he will be a game changer. We have a few of them up front and Nurse, I think, will be a different type of one on the blueline.

Sorry for the novel.
Good write up!

He seems to have quite the tool box and exactly what we need, but I have barely ever seen him play so I look forward to posts like these

Old
05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey71 View Post

Sorry for the novel.
This is how I feel as well. Obviously most fans want that number two center (and we still have a chance of Nichuskin is taken in the top 6) but I would be happy with Nurse at 7.

Guy Flaming from the pipelineshow was asked the question, if we are left with Nichuskin, Nurse, Zadorov, etc who do we take? He answered Nurse without hesitation. So take that for whatever it's worth.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:42 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Older prospects won't get a lot of attention at the Memorial Cup, but there are quite a few that are worth watching. Some may be NHL property already, but a tournament like this can raise some eyebrows and trade proposals.

Keep an eye out for them.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

I'd honestly be content with picking Nichuskin if he's still available and Monahan isn't. He has waaaay too much talent to pass up. Waiting two years is worth it.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Interested to see how Zadarov and Horvat will boost their prospects at the Cup.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I would take Ristolainen or Pulock over Zadorov and Nurse
Seconded, although I don't know enough about Zadorov. If Pulock drops below 10 he's the steal of the draftIMO.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Seconded, although I don't know enough about Zadorov. If Pulock drops below 10 he's the steal of the draftIMO.
Did you watch Pulock play this year? I dont get how you come to that conclusion at all. As for Zadorov, you can see him on Sportsnet tonight at 6pm.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:41 PM
nando2392

How is Zadorovs skating?

Old
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
How is Zadorovs skating?
He can skate pretty well for a big guy. Sometimes he gets beat by really fast forwards but he seems to be able to "pull a Pronger" with those long legs and get back into position relatively easily. It's not as good as Nurses but it shouldn't be a problem going forward.

Closed Thread