05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
blackngold4877

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Crap.

Bruins are dropping like flies.

Yeti or Daugavins if Marchand can't go?

Also looks like it is going to be the three rookies on defense tonight-none of Redden, Seids or Ference skating today.
Hopefully Soderberg but I'd bet Claude puts Daugavins in.

Sucks Marchand was finally showing some life at the end of game 7.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:21 AM
TimmytheTank

Hoping Marchand just had a stinger or a cramp or something. I'd like to see Soderberg if he can't go.

I think with the 3 defensemen out, our more offensive defensemen are drawing in to the line-up. If we can't go full defensive lock-down might as well put every offensive talent we have in the line-up. Would prefer to not do anything half-***ed, and with our current line-up that's exactly what our defensive game would be. At this point our best defense will be a good offense.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:25 AM
duckchobbins

If Marchand is out I would imagine KD gets the spot on the 3rd line with Pev and Kelly. Seguin and Jagr will skate with Bergeron.

What I would love to see is the Yeti out there, but who am I kidding?

Old
05-16-2013, 11:43 AM
caz16

vCash: 73
This just on Twitter:

Naoko Funayama ‏@NaokoFunayama
Marchand will play tonight, per coach Julien. Doesn't look good for Seidenberg, Redden, Ference who did not skate this morning. #Bruins

Old
05-16-2013, 11:43 AM
igotmylunchbox

Matt Kalman ‏@TheBruinsBlog 1m

Julien on Marchand: "he'll be fine."

Old
05-16-2013, 11:47 AM
theswede2013

Did Arron Johnston fall off the face of the earth? Or is he just a complete waste?

Old
05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Julien says Marchand 'fine' after abrupt departure from workout
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...departure_from

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theswede2013 View Post
Did Arron Johnston fall off the face of the earth? Or is he just a complete waste?
It's really weird to me. I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I was actually impressed with him when he played. Nothing flashy, but he got the job done defensively. Seems like the perfect guy who could step in and give you 15 minutes with three of our more steady defensive presences going down.

It's such an unusual decision for Claude to pass over a veteran presence, not only once, but three times, especially on the back-end.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:26 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
It's really weird to me. I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I was actually impressed with him when he played. Nothing flashy, but he got the job done defensively. Seems like the perfect guy who could step in and give you 15 minutes with three of our more steady defensive presences going down.

It's such an unusual decision for Claude to pass over a veteran presence, not only once, but three times, especially on the back-end.
I don't think Claude has anything against Johnson. He only played in 12 games ALL season due to not playing during the lockout & the D being pretty healthy all season. You don't get much rustier than that.

I think I'd still give him a shot before a wildcard like Krug, but apparently Claude values the fact that Krug has played a lot this season, including an intense playoff series with Hershey very recently.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:51 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
I don't think Claude has anything against Johnson. He only played in 12 games ALL season due to not playing during the lockout & the D being pretty healthy all season. You don't get much rustier than that.

I think I'd still give him a shot before a wildcard like Krug, but apparently Claude values the fact that Krug has played a lot this season, including an intense playoff series with Hershey very recently.
It's a welcome change if you ask me. I was half expecting to read they resigned Hnidy in the last 48 hours.

The fact is Johnson doesn't really give you all that much more than Krug does, based on what we've seen. He might make a few less mistakes but you also don't get the reward you possibly could with Krug (more offensive pop for sure).

I like that he's slotting in the younger guys who are more in the teams plans moving forward, as opposed to some no risk/no reward journeyman who will likely be gone from the organization in the next 3 months.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Trap Jesus

Fair enough about him being rusty. I think him being a vet and looking fine before when he stepped in after not playing before negates most of that though.

BoyntBergie, don't you think we have enough of that high risk/high reward in Dougie and Bart? It's all about slotting in guys to fill out a need on the roster, and I think we may have too much of that high-risk/high-reward play in the two rookies that are in now. I mean, every penalty we take, we have a big question mark to step in on D on the second unit, especially considering I don't even trust McQuaid that much as a PKer either. If one of Chara or Boychuk take a penalty, we're at a massive disadvantage for that PK. I'm not saying Johnson is some PK hero, but he gives me a lot more faith than the rookies.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:11 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
BoyntBergie, don't you think we have enough of that high risk/high reward in Dougie and Bart? It's all about slotting in guys to fill out a need on the roster, and I think we may have too much of that high-risk/high-reward play in the two rookies that are in now. I mean, every penalty we take, we have a big question mark to step in on D on the second unit, especially considering I don't even trust McQuaid that much as a PKer either. If one of Chara or Boychuk take a penalty, we're at a massive disadvantage for that PK. I'm not saying Johnson is some PK hero, but he gives me a lot more faith than the rookies.
Could be, though I'm not even sure I consider Bartkowski high risk, in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. He seems pretty even-keeled out there, makes the right play more often than not.

You're right about penalties though. Chara HAS to stay out of the box this series. Absolutely vital.

I have no problem with Claude giving Krug a taste in game 1, and then subbing Johnson in for him if it doesn't work out. I guess I've never been so impressed with Johnson/not impressed with Krug that I'd automatically give Johnson the game over Krug. Could go either way, and usually Claude would have opted for AJ. Glad to see him step out of his comfort zone a bit and I'm excited to see what Krug can do at the NHL level. The B's haven't really had a guy like him since Girard unless I'm missing someone (Hunwick doesn't count though he looked great early on too).

Old
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post
This just on Twitter:

Naoko Funayama ‏@NaokoFunayama
Marchand will play tonight, per coach Julien. Doesn't look good for Seidenberg, Redden, Ference who did not skate this morning. #Bruins
Oh man, brutal. Thank god the first two games are at home for match up reasons and the first road game is 5 days away.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:00 PM
NSBruinFan

Quote:

I thought Johnson looked fine in the games he played. Looked pretty steady. I can not imagine what it is like to sit all season like he did. At every level of hockey players want to play!

Old
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Mione134
Queen in the North

Released the Krugken!

Old
05-16-2013, 06:05 PM
GloveSave1
Boston Bruins

Krug over Johnson. Wtf?! Sometimes Coach surprises. The risky, small, rookie over the steady vet. Doesn't sound like Clode.

If Johnson isn't going to play in this emergency situation what are we paying him for?!

To those saying, oh well, Krug might only make a few mistakes. One stupid rookie mistake might be plenty with Lundy. Its not like we're not playing enough rookies already...

Geesh. I don't care if he hasn't played much. Go with the vet who's looked good for us when he's played. Practice'em hard. Get'em in.

Old
05-16-2013, 06:32 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Krug over Johnson. Wtf?! Sometimes Coach surprises. The risky, small, rookie over the steady vet. Doesn't sound like Clode.

If Johnson isn't going to play in this emergency situation what are we paying him for?!

To those saying, oh well, Krug might only make a few mistakes. One stupid rookie mistake might be plenty with Lundy. Its not like we're not playing enough rookies already...

Geesh. I don't care if he hasn't played much. Go with the vet who's looked good for us when he's played. Practice'em hard. Get'em in.
I don't mind it. I believe Johnson has a grand total of 0 NHL playoff games under his belt, and his skill level is about what you would expect from a number 7, journeyman-type D-man...at least Krug has some skill and can bring a different element to the game. The kid has speed and can skate, and he's going to have to use that to his advantage. I'm nervous about him too, but at least he has been playing at a high level in the AHL playoffs. Not the same as the NHL obviously, but Johnson hasn't played since 'Nam.

Old
05-16-2013, 06:44 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post

Who the hell is saying 'oh well if Krug only makes a couple of mistakes'....?

I thought krug was better than Bart in the few reg season games he's played... Hamilton has made a ton of defensive mistakes... and Bart will as well.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:07 PM
TCL40

And honestly if our D are dropping like flies and there are some almost NHL ready young guys I would rather put them in to play and give them the experience.

Old
05-16-2013, 07:43 PM
GloveSave1
Boston Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
Who the hell is saying 'oh well if Krug only makes a couple of mistakes'....?

I thought krug was better than Bart in the few reg season games he's played... Hamilton has made a ton of defensive mistakes... and Bart will as well.
Read the last 20 or so posts in this thread and you'll find it. Or...you could just take my word for it. Haha

Hope you guys are right about Krug. It takes me a while to buy into Jonathan Girard types...just too dangerous for my tastes...

Old
05-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Take your time, boys...

In all seriousness the rookies played great.

It's gonna be a great problem to have when one can come back, who do you bench?

Old
05-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Trap Jesus

Well Krug was pretty fantastic lol

Old
05-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

98.5 just said no boot for Ference today could he be on his way back 90 hours before next game.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Danton Heineken
Unlimited Pasta Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
98.5 just said no boot for Ference today could he be on his way back 90 hours before next game.
Problem is, Krug comes out of the lineup and the power play leaves with him.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:33 AM
TCL40

Honestly until the kids start screwing up I would leave them in until the injured are 100%.

Seids is the only guy I desperately want back right now.

Krug and Hamilton looked very good on the PP and having a PP that can score against the Rangers (whose PP looks worse than ours) is a huge benefit against a team with an excellent goalie.

Closed Thread