HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2013, 04:51 PM
  #501
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Flyers are pretty good at drafting gems from the QMJHL, though.
I'm not crazy about the whole idea of taking Morin at 11 but if we did that would mean it came with Simon Nolet's backing.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
  #502
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
No Ryan Hartman in the top 30 there. Hoping he falls to the second round.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
  #503
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not crazy about the whole idea of taking Morin at 11 but if we did that would mean it came with Simon Nolet's backing.
Hard to argue with Nolet to be honest.

Jtown is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 05:02 PM
  #504
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
No Ryan Hartman in the top 30 there. Hoping he falls to the second round.
I think it has to do with his injury. He had laceration in his wrist that required him to miss 6 weeks in the playoffs. His missed the entire London series in which his team lost.

I still think he goes in the 1st round but that would great if he fell to our 2nd pick. I don't really like comparing players but the Ryan Callahan comparison I've seen people throw around seems to be pretty accurate to me.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-15-2013 at 05:08 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 05:18 PM
  #505
Coffe
Registered User
 
Coffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Flyers are pretty good at drafting gems from the QMJHL, though.

It wasn't meant to be a jeer against Morin, I just picked a d-man from the bottom of the list to represent the fact that Homer can not be trusted to surely select the "right" player when Ristolainen and Pulock are on the board.

Coffe is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 05:40 PM
  #506
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
It wasn't meant to be a jeer against Morin, I just picked a d-man from the bottom of the list to represent the fact that Homer can not be trusted to surely select the "right" player when Ristolainen and Pulock are on the board.
In fairness, Holmgren is pretty astute at drafting in the first round. I don't think he'll reach for Morin. I think we'll know more come the draft combine who they'll be looking at drafting, but it won't surprise me if Ryan Pulock or Nikita Zadorov is their guy.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
  #507
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think the most interesting pick in this draft is number 5. I really wonder what Carolina will do. They are in position to take bpa, draft for d or F, trade the pick , or even trade up.
A lot of Canes fans seem to think/want the team to take Monahan at 5

Krishna is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:30 PM
  #508
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500


Highlights of Nichushkin. If he falls to 11, we should take him no matter what. His skating is extremely impressive for his size.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 07:47 PM
  #509
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post


Highlights of Nichushkin. If he falls to 11, we should take him no matter what. His skating is extremely impressive for his size.
Kids good. I can't see him falling outside of the top 10 though. I expect him to go 5-9. Dont care how many years he has in the KHL, I'd easily take him at 11 if he fell.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
  #510
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Kids good. I can't see him falling outside of the top 10 though. I expect him to go 5-9. Dont care how many years he has in the KHL, I'd easily take him at 11 if he fell.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip to be honest. We see it every year with players for no reason like Fowler and others. Teams always value players differently, and that KHL contract could have some negative value with some franchises. Also might not hurt that he said the Flyers and Rangers are his favorite teams

EDIT: Seems like Tampa Bay is very high on him though. We will see. The draft is getting here quickly, we probably won't even have the pick.


Last edited by Prongo: 05-15-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Prongo is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 08:30 PM
  #511
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip to be honest. We see it every year with players for no reason like Fowler and others. Teams always value players differently, and that KHL contract could have some negative value with some franchises. Also might not hurt that he said the Flyers and Rangers are his favorite teams

EDIT: Seems like Tampa Bay is very high on him though. We will see. The draft is getting here quickly, we probably won't even have the pick.
6 1/2 weeks. Is getting real close.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:22 AM
  #512
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
"The Philadelphia Flyers are happy to select, from Rimouski Oceanic in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Samuel Morin."


You joke. But this kid is moving up in a lot of scout's eyes! I like him. The only issue I have with Sam is that he is a least two years away. But his potenial is endless and off the charts.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
  #513
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Kids good. I can't see him falling outside of the top 10 though. I expect him to go 5-9. Dont care how many years he has in the KHL, I'd easily take him at 11 if he fell.
I agree. If he is there at 11 they have to jump.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
  #514
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Robert Hagg looks like he is falling out of the 1st round. Getting him in the 2nd and pairing him with either Ristolainen or Pulock in the 1st would give the Flyers a potential lefty-righty top pair for years to come. They could learn to play together in the AHL 2 years from now before they come up to the Flyers like Carlson and Alzner did for Washington.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
  #515
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Buttons new list will be out today. Not sure at what time but looking forward to it.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
  #516
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
In fairness, Holmgren is pretty astute at drafting in the first round. I don't think he'll reach for Morin. I think we'll know more come the draft combine who they'll be looking at drafting, but it won't surprise me if Ryan Pulock or Nikita Zadorov is their guy.
How much of the success is attributed to Holmgren though....I know he was a scout himself but really how much input and sway does he have? I will credit him for his staffing choices as soon as he became GM ..mainly Chris Pryor and to some extent Don Luce as head of player development.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
  #517
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Paul Holmgren regularly goes and checks out prospects throughout the year. He is also the final word on who they take. Much of their drafting has to do with his ability to find talent. That is not to take away the group of scouts he has surrounded himself with though. We just need a little better luck in the later rounds.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 01:20 PM
  #518
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Paul Holmgren regularly goes and checks out prospects throughout the year. He is also the final word on who they take. Much of their drafting has to do with his ability to find talent. That is not to take away the group of scouts he has surrounded himself with though. We just need a little better luck in the later rounds.
It's too early to tell but on the surface it's looked like we've drafted some pretty good players in the later rounds the last two drafts.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
05-16-2013, 02:02 PM
  #519
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It's too early to tell but on the surface it's look like we've drafted some pretty good players in the later rounds the last two drafts.
agreed. Add that to some nice NCAA signings and at least it has re-stocked some of the depth. Man wouldn't it be nice to have a late pick or 2 turn into GREAT players like what happened to Detroit. Maybe someday it will be our turn. Hell, Kimmo was a 10 round pick!! Whay can't we get that lucky! Ironically, Timonen wasn't the latest pick that year to play in the NHL. German Titov played for 10 years and 624 games...picked at 252.

Not hard to tell I am bored at work!

Tripod is offline  
Old
05-16-2013, 07:12 PM
  #520
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Paul Holmgren regularly goes and checks out prospects throughout the year. He is also the final word on who they take. Much of their drafting has to do with his ability to find talent. That is not to take away the group of scouts he has surrounded himself with though. We just need a little better luck in the later rounds.
Lauridsen, Rinaldo, Mcginn, and Wellwood have been late round picks that have contributed. I'd assume that's at least average compared to most NHL teams when comparing late round success lately.

Stizzle is online now  
Old
05-16-2013, 09:00 PM
  #521
ahthorne
Registered User
 
ahthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
If Bo Horvat is available, I think we take him. Very similar to the Couturier/Laughton situations where we could have easily gone with defensemen but they opt for the excellent-at-all-things player. Horvat is another player who's stock is rising considerably and will probably continue to do so. Would not be surprised to see many of the defenders many of the fans want available to the Flyers with the amount of quality forwards in the draft. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Domi, etc. could all push Nurse, Ristolainen and Zadorov out of the top-10.

ahthorne is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 03:05 AM
  #522
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,270
vCash: 500
Wouldn't mind picking up Cammarata from Waterloo of the USHL in the 2nd or 3rd. Only 5'7 but lit it up this season. Looks a lot like Gaudreau out there.

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:18 AM
  #523
Flyers2point0
Registered User
 
Flyers2point0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Robert Hagg looks like he is falling out of the 1st round. Getting him in the 2nd and pairing him with either Ristolainen or Pulock in the 1st would give the Flyers a potential lefty-righty top pair for years to come. They could learn to play together in the AHL 2 years from now before they come up to the Flyers like Carlson and Alzner did for Washington.
While I'm hoping for Zadorov in the first round if they could get Hagg in the second round that would be an absolute steal. If he's on the board when the 2nd round begins I hope they trade up because he certainly won't be there for long.

Flyers2point0 is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
  #524
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,169
vCash: 500
Button pushed his next listing back until June 4? Makes sense because of the Memorial cup

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  #525
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2point0 View Post
While I'm hoping for Zadorov in the first round if they could get Hagg in the second round that would be an absolute steal. If he's on the board when the 2nd round begins I hope they trade up because he certainly won't be there for long.
I will be happy with whomever they pick in round one(I hope). In round 2, I was hoping that Dillon Heatherington D would be there but it looks like he is moving up the board. Other round 2 picks could be Emile Poirier LW, Conner Hurley LW, Nick Sorensen RW, Brett Pesce D and Zack Sanford LW. I had Steve Santini D there also but he is another kid moving up. Rounds 3 and 4. (where do we pick in round 4?) I like the select any two from this group.John Hayden RW, Mason Geertsen D,Matt Buckles C,Gustav Glofsson D, Adan Tambellini C, Ben Betker D,and Jared Hauf D. Ever since the late 60's I have been a draft nut(both hockey and football) and spend far to much time now with the availability of the internet.

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.