HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Possible role players for next season

Old
05-17-2013, 03:16 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
So, call me crazy, but what do you guys think of going after Komarov? He's a smaller guy, and not a fighter, but there's no denying an agitator who throws ~350 hits would help our team

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
They've basically said they aren't moving a d-man, and I don't think any team considering moving a center will do so for downgrades and wingers.
Yeah they aren't getting a 1C unless it's and older 1C like Thornton for those types of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm just using it for an example. I too would rather go short term and give him the money he wants. Give him a full season to prove he can be a regular in the lineup, and then we can talk about a longer deal
I really like Fistric, however our two best D prospects are also LD. Because of this I wouldn't want to overpay him and get stuck with him if he regresses. IMO $1.5-$1.75 million per for 3 years would be fine by me.

05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
So, call me crazy, but what do you guys think of going after Komarov? He's a smaller guy, and not a fighter, but there's no denying an agitator who throws ~350 hits would help our team
I wouldn't be opposed, not sure that Toronto gives up on him though. More than likely a cheap re-signing for them.

I was however a little shocked that the one article on TSN had Franson as a bottom pairing in Toronto next year. Was also a bit shocked Kostka isn't even in the top 6. Toronto has some pieces, which ones are available I don't know but we have to be looking at them.

This is what the Jonas Siegel article had.

Carl Gunnarsson-Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner-[defender]
Mark Fraser-Cody Franson

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:13 AM
joestevens29

Just cross over from the Klefbom thread talking about Whitney. Is a bought out Liles an option as a stop gap to play bottom pairing and help out on the PK?

Old
05-17-2013, 10:33 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed, not sure that Toronto gives up on him though. More than likely a cheap re-signing for them.

I was however a little shocked that the one article on TSN had Franson as a bottom pairing in Toronto next year. Was also a bit shocked Kostka isn't even in the top 6. Toronto has some pieces, which ones are available I don't know but we have to be looking at them.

Jake Gardiner-[defender]
Mark Fraser-Cody Franson
That defense isn't that bad depending on who "defender" is.

Mike Kostka is an absolute bum though. Just a glorified Corey Potter. He's got no right to be near that NHL squad next year if they intend to be better.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:48 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Justin Schultz also regressed in the latter half of the season from being over played. I think they need a top pair guy as well as a top 4 guy. Put J Schultz on the bottom pair with N Schultz to reduce his minutes but still use him on the PP.

If they can get two more D man there is no need in rushing Klefbom, sure if he brings it in camp he can force us to make a move later but to pencil him in and not make a move is a risk I do not like them taking. If Klefbom is not the player people think he is than our defence looks weak..
J. Schultz on the bottom pair is a waste of his talent. He can be a top pair guy with the right partner. Remember that Petry and Smid play a lot of minutes as our shut down pair too.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:05 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
J. Schultz on the bottom pair is a waste of his talent. He can be a top pair guy with the right partner. Remember that Petry and Smid play a lot of minutes as our shut down pair too.
Chris Pronger can't play hockey anymore.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:03 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Chris Pronger can't play hockey anymore.
Not really sure what this means, but if you recall, Pronger's past partners include MA Bergeron. Shultz had a great 40 ish games in the AHL and a solid 25 games in the NHL. That's as a first year pro coming out of the NCAA where they play a fraction of the games. I don't think seeing Schultz finish slowly when he was overplayed in the AHL and played with a bottom pair guy who didn't fit his role at all in his time in the NHL. It won`t take a Chris Pronger level player to make Justin Schultz into a top pairing d-man for 82 games, just a competent #1 or #2 d-man to play at his side and adjusting to the hectic NHL schedule.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Not really sure what this means, but if you recall, Pronger's past partners include MA Bergeron. Shultz had a great 40 ish games in the AHL and a solid 25 games in the NHL. That's as a first year pro coming out of the NCAA where they play a fraction of the games. I don't think seeing Schultz finish slowly when he was overplayed in the AHL and played with a bottom pair guy who didn't fit his role at all in his time in the NHL. It won`t take a Chris Pronger level player to make Justin Schultz into a top pairing d-man for 82 games, just a competent #1 or #2 d-man to play at his side and adjusting to the hectic NHL schedule.
There is no need to play Schultz on the top pairing.. We should keep him sheltered ES and give him prime PP time. Dont mind him on the 3rd pairing for another year. To me he is Fowler v2.0 .. No need to rush

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:13 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:

Jake Gardiner-[defender]
Mark Fraser-Cody Franson
He'd definitely cost us a bit. We just don't really have anyone in that mold.

Quote:
Just cross over from the Klefbom thread talking about Whitney. Is a bought out Liles an option as a stop gap to play bottom pairing and help out on the PK?
I always forget about him. He'd probably be pretty cheap on a short term deal too.

05-18-2013, 02:17 AM
haterbehatin

JML is signed through the 2015-2016 season at 3.875 a season not exactly what I'd call a "short" term deal. I think he'd be a nice stop gap player but at that term and cap hit I'm not sure I'd take him for free.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:24 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
JML is signed through the 2015-2016 season at 3.875 a season not exactly what I'd call a "short" term deal. I think he'd be a nice stop gap player but at that term and cap hit I'm not sure I'd take him for free.
That's why op stated assuming he was bought out

Old
05-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Spawn

Quote:
J. Schultz on the bottom pairing at ES and top pairing on the PP is probably the ideal situation. He has tonnes of promise and some very real NHL ability right now. But he's not capable of playing against other teams top players. Now... if you had a Shea Weber to partner him with, then sure. Absolutely. But we don't have a player like that and it is extremely unlikely we will get one.

Nothing wrong with Schultz playing less ES minutes against lesser competition. His end to the season wasn't as good because he played too much and got over used. Makes sense to try and eliminate that problem next season.

I agree completely with the notion that the Oilers need a top pairing guy and another top 4 guy.

Smid-XXX
XXX-Petry
Schultz-Schultz

Problem is that those XXX players are going to be nearly impossible to find. Especially a legitimate top pairing guy.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Hemsky4PM

Toronto is a really good target for acquiring a Dman.

Franson and Gunnarsson in particular should hold the line at 4M and fire their agents if they don't get it from the Leafs.

Edmonton is in position to offersheet either of them. Toronto will likely sign Mark Fraser as the more unheralded guy at around 1.75-2.25M.

Gardiner will come in at 4M when his deal is up next year too. Phaneuf - is likely to stay in Toronto.

Liles is better than N. Schultz and Potter. I'd be willing to take him on as a bottom pairing guy to work the PP with J. Schultz. He's just not been the right fit in Toronto.

My ideal would be Gunnarsson though. Underrated and could be paired with Klefbom for a decade.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:21 AM
DousedInOil

The team 1260 had their guy from Toronto on yesterday and he said that Toronto is actually looking to improve their defence so that Phaneuf doesn't have to play as much. He also mentioned that they aren't going to move Gunnar.

It would be nice though.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:34 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I'd love to add Adam McQuaid from Boston, that guy is tough as nails and doesn't take any BS.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:37 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
I'm hoping that Pelss comes in. I think he can be that gritty guy.

I'd rather have him over Jones.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:39 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I'm hoping that Pelss comes in. I think he can be that gritty guy.

I'd rather have him over Jones.
He does indeed have grit, but maybe it'd be better to leave him in OKC for another year or even for his whole ELC to hone his craft?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:44 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He does indeed have grit, but maybe it'd be better to leave him in OKC for another year or even for his whole ELC to hone his craft?
Maybe you're right, but he's a player I'll be watching in TC and exhibition.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Toronto is a really good target for acquiring a Dman.

Franson and Gunnarsson in particular should hold the line at 4M and fire their agents if they don't get it from the Leafs.

Edmonton is in position to offersheet either of them. Toronto will likely sign Mark Fraser as the more unheralded guy at around 1.75-2.25M.

Gardiner will come in at 4M when his deal is up next year too. Phaneuf - is likely to stay in Toronto.

Liles is better than N. Schultz and Potter. I'd be willing to take him on as a bottom pairing guy to work the PP with J. Schultz. He's just not been the right fit in Toronto.

My ideal would be Gunnarsson though. Underrated and could be paired with Klefbom for a decade.
An OS against Toronto for one of these guys makes little sense. The Leafs will match any reasonable offer so for it to be succesful you need to way over pay. Franson and Gunnaarsson are not the guys to break the bank for.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:19 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423679

Heard rumors about this earlier, but now confirmed that he is talking with his old team Dynamo. Waiting to see what the Leafs offer first. Might want to stay away if this is the case.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
There is no need to play Schultz on the top pairing.. We should keep him sheltered ES and give him prime PP time. Dont mind him on the 3rd pairing for another year. To me he is Fowler v2.0 .. No need to rush
We literally have no one that can pass the puck to our top forwards or skate the puck out of the zone. Schultz is a necessity on the top pairing. Not playing our best passer,puck mover with the best forwards is a mistake.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:52 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423679

Heard rumors about this earlier, but now confirmed that he is talking with his old team Dynamo. Waiting to see what the Leafs offer first. Might want to stay away if this is the case.
I'll be stunned if he doesn't get a solid offer from TO. He's pretty much every Leaf fans favorite player now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We literally have no one that can pass the puck to our top forwards or skate the puck out of the zone. Schultz is a necessity on the top pairing. Not playing our best passer,puck mover with the best forwards is a mistake.
Petry can just fine, and he's a much better overall player. The problem is that Smid can't, so the other team just has to put extra pressure on Petry. I want a veteran puck mover to play with Petry on the top pairing. Schultz isn't ready to be the go to guy just yet at es