HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 16 • Quarterfinal • Russia vs. United States (stats in post #2)

View Poll Results: Who wins it?
Russia in regulation 17 47.22%
Russia in OT/shootout 5 13.89%
U.S. in regulation 9 25.00%
U.S. in OT/shootout 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-16-2013, 03:08 PM
wadesworld

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
The Russians were missing some cogs on the blueline though, namely Gonchar, Voynov and Emelin.
That's nice and all, but before the game, the US was given basically zero chance to win.

Strange how a woodshed-beating turns predictions of easy victory into "yeah, but we didn't have all our players."

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
US is giving some you guys some experience mixed in with a few vets.

No Parise, Suter, Miller, Schneider, Fowler, Ryan, Johnson, etc.
Fowler has a shoulder injury, so he may not have been available to play, even if the US had a spot.

05-16-2013, 03:20 PM
NuxFan09

What the hell happened here?? Looking at the Americans' roster, they're pretty much a group of grinders! How the hell did the Russians allow them to score 8?

Oh well, Russia has had their glory at this tourney in recent years.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:38 PM
CoolForumNamePending

With Switzerland also winning it means either a country will be playing in its first WC final ever or the its first one in 50+ years (obviously the US is well accomplished outside of the WC) so it will be nice to see something a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
and to further the development of American hockey, though we lack that truly highend talent outside of say 4-5 players offensively...I looked on NHL.com and for a 48 game season 232 American players suited up at least 1 game in the NHL this year...that is insane!!

I dont think we hit that number with a 82 game season...and if we did this year couldnt have been far off in numbers in almost half of the games.
Actually it looks like it was slightly better than 232... Including goalies (and not worrying about how some of the dual citizens are listed) it looks like it was 235 this year... But who's counting .

The percentage of Americans in the NHL has actually sort of stagnated over the past 5 years or so. The years immediatly following the lockout (the big one, not this past year's minor labour blip) is where most of the gains were made. In both raw numbers and percentage 2010-11 is to this point the peak year.

If you are interested...

Year -- USA - Total - %
12-13 - 235 - 979 - 0.240040858
11-12 - 252 - 1058 - 0.238185255
10-11 - 255 - 1058 - 0.241020794
09-10 - 232 - 1048 - 0.221374046
08-09 - 242 - 1052 - 0.230038023
07-08 - 218 - 1008 - 0.216269841
06-07 - 205 - 1038 - 0.197495183
05-06 - 207 - 1067 - 0.194001874
03-04 - 186 - 1125 - 0.165333333

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Emelin is a huge question mark for Sochi.

I'm not sweating it. He is massively overrated by some people. If healthy, he would be on the roster yes.

I like him, but don't view him as a savior like some.
I think Emelin is pretty good #5 D maybe #4 with more polish/experience but no way should be a savior.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
NAI77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
I think we Canadians should launch an investigation to find out what the US is doing to produce elite goalies at the rate they are.
It involves aliens, cloning and area 51. I can't really divulge too much, it's all classified, but you can connect the dots!

I'll tell you this though; John Gibson is coated with a special material that repels pucks; it's a from a rare-earth mineral called "Hasekium" that is found only in the steppes of Afghanistan. Controlling the global supply of "Hasekium" is why the US invaded Afghanistan, as well as why the USSR invaded in the 80's. After the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan they lost their source of "Hasekium" and they haven't produced any good goalies since!

NAI77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAI77 View Post
It involves aliens, cloning and area 51. I can't really divulge too much, it's all classified, but you can connect the dots!

I'll tell you this though; John Gibson is coated with a special material that repels pucks; it's a from a rare-earth mineral called "Hasekium" that is found only in the steppes of Afghanistan. Controlling the global supply of "Hasekium" is why the US invaded Afghanistan, as well as why the USSR invaded in the 80's. After the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan they lost their source of "Hasekium" and they haven't produced any good goalies since!
You mean aside from that Bobrovsky guy who should win the Vezina this year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

USA hockey is awesome. Everyone counts us out and then we win by 5 goals. Just like the world juniors.

05-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Paxton Fettel

every one counts you out because you usuall suck at the worlds, and also at the olympics played outside NA

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
This amusing altercation between Yaku72 and Fantova is more entertaining then the actual game. What a twist ending there at the end Ochen' smeshno bobrov!

Emelin seeing him here in Montreal daily brings a different element no other dman on the Russian squad has with his physical play and stay at home defensive capabilities. With his physical strength he can handle oncoming forecheckers with less difficulty then any of those other dmen on the roster that either turn the puck over or are just pushed off the puck. That makes a difference especially leading to the Russian transition play where they generate a lot of their opportunities. I would hope he's healed for Sochi he's a player who can make a difference for you guys. He's not a top pairing dman but solid depth guy who can handle the big and aggressive bodies from the NHL.
We are on the same page on the subject of Emelin. He made a huge difference last year in the Russians' WC run. Take the Sweden game for example. He was a complete agitator with the physical game to back it up. He used agitation, heavy hits, and even a few timely dives to turn what seemed to be a sure loss into a 7-3 win. There is no one in the Russian d-group you saw today that could even begin to play that role for the team. More importantly, if someone wanted to bump bodies in the crease to take the goalie out of the game, Emelin would be happy to oblige. Did you see anyone out there today wearing Red who could fulfill those roles.

I think Voynov is an outstanding young defenseman. In addition to his obvious talents, there are Kings fans who are saying he is dominating in the defensive zone. If so, that's a tremendous addition to his repertoire, and I will look forward to seeing him display his stay-home skills next year. But I know there is no one in the NHL who fears him, or who would hesitate to try to push him out of the slot to get good position. He is not a physical player that you would steer clear of because of the punishment that he dishes out! Sorry, but that's not Voynov, and that is exactly what the Russian defense is sorely lacking and desperately needs.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Botta

[QUOTE=Yakushev72;66159733]We are on the same page on the subject of Emelin. He made a huge difference last year in the Russians' WC run. Take the Sweden game for example. He was a complete agitator with the physical game to back it up. He used agitation, heavy hits, and even a few timely dives to turn what seemed to be a sure loss into a 7-3 win. There is no one in the Russian d-group you saw today that could even begin to play that role for the team. More importantly, if someone wanted to bump bodies in the crease to take the goalie out of the game, Emelin would be happy to oblige. Did you see anyone out there today wearing Red who could fulfill those roles.

I think Voynov is an outstanding young defenseman. In addition to his obvious talents, there are Kings fans who are saying he is dominating in the defensive zone. If so, that's a tremendous addition to his repertoire, and I will look forward to seeing him display his stay-home skills next year. But I know there is no one in the NHL who fears him, or who would hesitate to try to push him out of the slot to get good position. He is not a physical player that you would steer clear of because of the punishment that he dishes out! Sorry, but that's not Voynov, and that is exactly what the Russian defense is sorely lacking and desperately needs.[/QUOT

All european teams lack punishing players.Not a problem to find such players in NA, but not many of them in Europe.They must be on every team to keep the intensity up and the team going.So I belive your analysis is right.

Botta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
every one counts you out because you usuall suck at the worlds, and also at the olympics played outside NA
Goaltending has shifted a lot for American teams over the last decade. We're no longer sending minor league goalies to represent the country as our starters. We probably would have lost with Bishop in net to be honest. Gibson gave a lot of momentum to our team with good saves. In the WJC he was great as well. Miller? Carried our Olympic team.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Goaltending has shifted a lot for American teams over the last decade. We're no longer sending minor league goalies to represent the country as our starters. We probably would have lost with Bishop in net to be honest. Gibson gave a lot of momentum to our team with good saves. In the WJC he was great as well. Miller? Carried our Olympic team.
Come on, you don't find that a little funny? Gibson hasn't even made the minor leagues yet because he's still 19.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Frank Booth

One other nice thing about beating Russia is that Perezhogin is on that team. Glad to send him home with nothing, even if he did get a goal. For those who forgot, he tried to kill Garrett Stafford with his stick during an AHL playoff game in 2004. To avoid his suspension, he went back to Russia to play. The incident happened in Hamilton, lucky for him since the Canadian justice system is a joke, protect the criminal and blame the victim. If that would have happened in Cleveland, the crazy Cuyahoga County prosecutor would have charged him with felony assault and Alexander might be playing hide the soap in an Ohio prison instead of playing professional hockey.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:51 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
One other nice thing about beating Russia is that Perezhogin is on that team. Glad to send him home with nothing, even if he did get a goal. For those who forgot, he tried to kill Garrett Stafford with his stick during an AHL playoff game in 2004. To avoid his suspension, he went back to Russia to play. The incident happened in Hamilton, lucky for him since the Canadian justice system is a joke, protect the criminal and blame the victim. If that would have happened in Cleveland, the crazy Cuyahoga County prosecutor would have charged him with felony assault and Alexander might be playing hide the soap in an Ohio prison instead of playing professional hockey.
oh the lolz.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:54 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Not to sure about that, most of the players who have run into legal trouble have done so in Canada.

Ciccarelli
Bertuzzi
McSorley

all charged in Canada for their rather famous on ice incidents.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Come on, you don't find that a little funny? Gibson hasn't even made the minor leagues yet because he's still 19.
Have always thought he was an exceptional talent, you have to think this is doing wonders for his confidence though. Really good thing for all you Ducks fans, kid has been a joy to watch the last couple of years, the bigger the stage the bigger he seems to play too.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Zine

Quote:
Cmon now. Stafford took a wind-up swing at Perezhogin first.

If you're willing to use your stick as a weapon against somebody, don't complain if you get the same treatment in return.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:15 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Stafford tried to kill him first, he got a very long suspension too. Perezhogin deserved his suspension but not sure how much I can blame a guy for snapping after that Stafford swing attempt.

BobDobolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:23 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Have always thought he was an exceptional talent, you have to think this is doing wonders for his confidence though. Really good thing for all you Ducks fans, kid has been a joy to watch the last couple of years, the bigger the stage the bigger he seems to play too.
I mentioned this to some Anaheim fans, but what I like most about Gibson is that he isn't being handed these opportunities. He's earning them. I'm always skeptical of young goaltenders because, let's face it, they can be volatile, but I am really excited about this kid.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Bullwhip Reds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
My best regards to Alex "never gonna win the Stanley Cup & Nhl wanted us to lose & I played with a fractured foot but came to Finland to play" Ovechin. My bet is that russia is not gonna suck in sochi because of biased ****edupconditions that were very obvious during last winters pregames in every sport. 1980 Moscow o-games, welcome back...I was there and never again with that ****.

Bullwhip Reds* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
He's the ******* who ended Primeau's career with an elbow to the chin.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:57 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:

hahaha. Gold.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:
Haha Awesome! Atleast Swedes and Finns still have supply of hasekium. Wonder how they get it?

Last edited by Helistin: 05-17-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Helistin is online now   Reply With Quote