HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
on the issue of Miggy holding up, this year the guy looks the fittest I've ever seen him. He deserves a ton of credit for apparently shedding the extra weight.

05-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
on the issue of Miggy holding up, this year the guy looks the fittest I've ever seen him. He deserves a ton of credit for apparently shedding the extra weight.

He definitely looks like he's lost weight.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Agreed, he looks much better. Also is looking pretty good defensively.

Prince shed some weight as well.

Now if we could just replace Peralta with a Shortstop that has tons of range and can hit decent.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks433 View Post
Agreed, he looks much better. Also is looking pretty good defensively.

Prince shed some weight as well.

Now if we could just replace Peralta with a Shortstop that has tons of range and can hit decent.
I think every team is looking for a shortstop like that. They are few and far between.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I think every team is looking for a shortstop like that. They are few and far between.
yeah, it definitely seems to be pick your poison at short - either a guy who hits decently or a guy who fields. Getting a guy who does both is a bit of the holy grail in baseball right now.

and with Martinez, Avila, and Dirks off to slow starts, we need Peralta's bat in the bottom half of the order.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:33 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Weight is only half the battle for Miggy in terms of "holding up", though...

Old
05-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Reality Check

Outside another arm in the bullpen and a bench bat, I feel this team is set.

The start Martinez has had is to be expected and it's possible he will be a shell of his former self. Good news is that it's still an improvement over Delmon Young.

Both Kelly and Tuiasopo are fringe 25-man guys and they should look for an improvement at the deadline.

Of course, this is all provided that they win the division and I think they will

Old
05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
The Tigers look discombobulated tonight.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Garcia's got a chance to be a special player.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Why the hell would Leyland pull Al after two batters to bring in Coke to face a righty? He just lost us the game with that bonehead decision.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Why the hell would Leyland pull Al after two batters to bring in Coke to face a righty? He just lost us the game with that bonehead decision.
Al Al has a 1.79 WHIP, gave up a leadoff walk. Lefty up, you go with the LOOGY. Coke is supposed to shut down lefties. At this point, you can only blame the crappy player for playing like crap. Coke is gonna get dropped at this rate and they'll bring in Putkonen.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:58 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

And now he brings in Kelly to pinch hit for Tuiasosopo who was 3-3 on the day. Thanks Jim.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:59 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Al Al has a 1.79 WHIP, gave up a leadoff walk. Lefty up, you go with the LOOGY. Coke is supposed to shut down lefties. At this point, you can only blame the crappy player for playing like crap. Coke is gonna get dropped at this rate and they'll bring in Putkonen.
A righty was up. Not a lefty.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:02 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
A righty was up. Not a lefty.
I thought Dan said "they'll bring Coke in to face the lefty."

Old
05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I thought Dan said "they'll bring Coke in to face the lefty."
Maybe they did a pinch hit and I missed it? I was watching it on Tv and Rod was explaining why JL brought in Coke to face a righty.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Maybe they did a pinch hit and I missed it? I was watching it on Tv and Rod was explaining why JL brought in Coke to face a righty.
They were switch hitters, and Leyland's confidence in AlAl is understandably shaky right now. I think he should have just left Smiley in, though. Dude can go multiple innings and has pitched well, so let him pitch.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:33 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
They were switch hitters, and Leyland's confidence in AlAl is understandably shaky right now. I think he should have just left Smiley in, though. Dude can go multiple innings and has pitched well, so let him pitch.
If they're going to win with this ********* bullpen, they're going to have to go old-school and let Smyly throw 2-3 innings if need be whenever they have a late lead. Dude can put up 150 good innings that way and could be a hell of a lot more effective than three 50 inning guys with 6.00 ERAs.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Is it time to worry about Verlander?

Old
05-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
I havent seen his starts but isnt it really only 2 bad starts, the others werent unreasonable he just hasnt gotten run support. I have a hard time not seeing Verlander turn it around, he's just too good with too good of a track record.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
The only problem I have with JV is that he seems mentally weak. When he gives up a hit or two or a couple runs it usually ends up snowballing.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Winger98
powers combined

It's only two starts, but I don't remember the last time Verlander has had two starts in a row like this. I know his velocity has been down a bit this year, but I don't know what any of his numbers were from the past two starts. Have to assume he'll work out of it unless he's hurt.

On a somewhat related note, Crosby is now on the DL after a poor start in Toledo. so, we're lacking some starting depth from the minors right now, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If they're going to win with this ********* bullpen, they're going to have to go old-school and let Smyly throw 2-3 innings if need be whenever they have a late lead. Dude can put up 150 good innings that way and could be a hell of a lot more effective than three 50 inning guys with 6.00 ERAs.
Their use of Smiley has been odd this year. The guy's been effective, but he's not being used in a lot of high leverage situations. Maybe Leyland is just breaking him into a relief role, but I don't know why we don't ride him a bit out of the pen.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
It's only two starts, but I don't remember the last time Verlander has had two starts in a row like this. I know his velocity has been down a bit this year, but I don't know what any of his numbers were from the past two starts. Have to assume he'll work out of it unless he's hurt.

On a somewhat related note, Crosby is now on the DL after a poor start in Toledo. so, we're lacking some starting depth from the minors right now, too.

Their use of Smiley has been odd this year. The guy's been effective, but he's not being used in a lot of high leverage situations. Maybe Leyland is just breaking him into a relief role, but I don't know why we don't ride him a bit out of the pen.
As far as JV is concerned, Leyland said he hit 99 on the gun last night so at least people will stop asking if he's hurt. I know he's had blister issues, so maybe that's messing with his feel for the ball.

On Smyly, they're going to have to put him out there in high leverage situations pretty soon here. Can't have Coke, Reed, or any of these other clowns ruin every game without at least trying Smyly there. See if he can be your soft-tossing crafty lefthanded version of Zumaya.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:22 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Short Answer: No; Long Answer: Very No

Old
05-19-2013, 02:00 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
I'm going on a road trip in a couple weeks to check out a few stadiums and my first stop is Comerica Park.. I'm pretty pumped cause I've been wanting to go there since it opened looks fantastic and as long as my math is right/no schedule changes Verlander could be going. Just had a couple questions...

Probably going to get to the city pretty early any places near the stadium that are great to go to eat/drink?
How's the crowds like there am I able to just get a few tickets from the box office or would it just be easier to use stubhub? Which is probably cheaper?
Only going to be in Detroit for one day then off to Cincinnati anything cool to do if you only had a couple hours?

Was going to post in visting detroit thread but since this is about baseball i just put it here.. thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bunk Moreland: 05-19-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old
05-19-2013, 12:22 PM
19 for president

Both Cheli's Chilli and Hockeytown Cafe are across the parking lot from Comerica. Bucharest Grill and Town Pump are only another block or so away. As for tickets it probably depends on who they are playing and if it is a weekend game. If its a weekend game I recommend buying in advance because they often sell out (this is probably the nicest weather we'll get all year). In terms of stuff to do both the DIA (art museum) and history museum are nice and close by.

Closed Thread