HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Theoren Fleury NHL Record (s)

Old
05-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Sk8M8

vCash: 918
Theoren Fleury NHL Record (s)

Theo (5'6", 155 lbs soaking wet), WAS my favorite Flame of all time (when he played in Calgary). Even afterward when he had all his shenanigans going on in New York and Chicago I still held him in high esteem like none other . . . Then towards the end of his Chicago stint I had a hard time watching him play any more and kind of had enough of his extreme chippyness, quick temper and poor attitude.

I still think he should be in the Hall of Fame based soley on his numbers and contribution to the game on the ice - particularly as such a small superstar in Calgary.

I do believe he should have won the Hart trophy in '95/'96 when he scored 46 goals and 50 assists on a team made up largely of American leaguers and then towards the end a banged up Gary Roberts. For the most part, Fleury carried the team on his shoulders. There was nothing else to watch and cheer for in those dark days and he's the sole reason they made the playoffs that year. Regardless, Theo was up against a 169 point season by Mario Lemiuex (who ended up winning the award), with his all-star cast surrounding him. Again, we had the little man and nothing else.

Regardless, Theo owns a unique record in the record books:

Most shorthanded Goals in a Game: 3 (March 9, 1991)

That might be a record only shared in future years, an extremely tough one to break. As of yet it stands alone.

I read a few years back that he held another record - highest plus/minus in a game at +10. I see that he's not listed in the NHL records for that total, someone else is. So I don't know if my memory was wrong. Maybe it was a team record and +9. Can't find it in the team records so I'll have to believe it wasn't accurate.

Anyway, the 3 SHGs in a game is a cool record. Some props to good ol' Theo.

He retired after 1084 GP and scoring 1088 points (455 goals, 633 assists) making him more than a point/game player.

*Some pre-NHL stats of Theo's that are pretty impressive:

1. As a 15 yr. old, he played for the St. James Canadiens of the Manitoba Junior League scoring 33 Goals and 64 points in 22 games - a near 3 point/game average.

2. In 1987/88 he scored 68 goals and had 92 assists for 160 points, tieing him that year for the league lead with Joe Sakic. The total remains a Moose Jaw Warrior record to this day.

3. Theo is 10th all-time in WHL scoring - 201 goals, 271 assists, 472 points.

Sk8M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:17 AM
cynicism

vCash: 500
I think Fleury deserves to be in and I think he'll get in eventually, but he's going to have to wait a while. He burned a lot of bridges and people on the HHOF committee do hold grudges *cough* Serge Savard *cough*

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 1963
Isn't Serge Savard also the reason that Pat Burns is not in the HOF lol?

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Megahab

What is the issue between Savard and Fleury?

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Sk8M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
I think Fleury deserves to be in and I think he'll get in eventually, but he's going to have to wait a while. He burned a lot of bridges and people on the HHOF committee do hold grudges *cough* Serge Savard *cough*
Yeah I agree on everything you said . . .

I think Theo will get in, and it will be extremely emotional for him.

Like you said, a BUNCH of bridges burnt. If it wasn't bad enough the last 5 or 6 years, even the way he played while relatively clean in Calgary evoked a lot of hate from opposing GMs. Then the meltdown era out him over the top in many minds.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Isn't Serge Savard also the reason that Pat Burns is not in the HOF lol?
I'm not sure the issue with Savard and Fleury, if anything. Their careers never overlapped and the only time I can see their careers intertwining in hockey at all is when Fleury was a rookie in 1989 and his Flames beat Savard's Habs. Savard was the GM of Montreal at that time. As for Burns, with all due respect to the late man, he does have a line he has to get behind as far as coaches go in order to get into the HHOF.

Back to Fleury though. Yes, that 3 SHG in a game is a record I doubt we will ever see broken. Single game records can get broken because you have 60 minutes to do it and it doesn't matter what you do outside of that game. Sittler's 10 point game may not fall in our lifetime but I bet it would before Fleury's record. I am trying hard to even think of single teams who have scored 4 SHG in a game.

The record for a season is Lemieux with 13. Gretzky has 12. Mike Richards had 4 in 2012 just for comparison in the last full season. Fleury didn't even lead the NHL in shorthanded goals that year. He had 7. Dave Reid had 8. So it goes to show you just how much of a fluke that one game was. But what a record though. Someone needs 4 in a game to beat that, and it won't happen.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Sk8M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
What is the issue between Savard and Fleury?
Yeah, not sure about that one either . . .

There are few "hack" journalists (*cough* Eric Francis *cough*) who take the popular negative opinion and seem to sway the swing vote.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Sk8M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I'm not sure the issue with Savard and Fleury, if anything. Their careers never overlapped and the only time I can see their careers intertwining in hockey at all is when Fleury was a rookie in 1989 and his Flames beat Savard's Habs. Savard was the GM of Montreal at that time. As for Burns, with all due respect to the late man, he does have a line he has to get behind as far as coaches go in order to get into the HHOF.

Back to Fleury though. Yes, that 3 SHG in a game is a record I doubt we will ever see broken. Single game records can get broken because you have 60 minutes to do it and it doesn't matter what you do outside of that game. Sittler's 10 point game may not fall in our lifetime but I bet it would before Fleury's record. I am trying hard to even think of single teams who have scored 4 SHG in a game.

The record for a season is Lemieux with 13. Gretzky has 12. Mike Richards had 4 in 2012 just for comparison in the last full season. Fleury didn't even lead the NHL in shorthanded goals that year. He had 7. Dave Reid had 8. So it goes to show you just how much of a fluke that one game was. But what a record though. Someone needs 4 in a game to beat that, and it won't happen.
Great post with lots of good, relative stats - thanks!

And I agree btw, pretty sure the record won't be broken.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:58 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Actually, I could see this record being tied at some point. Any sport is so unpredictable. Take last night for example. How many people changed the channel with the Leafs up 4-1? Back to Fleury though, he set that record only years after coaches made it popular to play offensive players in short hand situations. It has been a popular trend since then. With the pp opportunities occurring in today's game, the right circumstances and a little luck it could happen.

Again take last night's game. Franson had 2 goals. If by chance they were both sh, he had close to 3 minutes to pot an empty netter. Its possible.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:25 AM
Sk8M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Actually, I could see this record being tied at some point. Any sport is so unpredictable. Take last night for example. How many people changed the channel with the Leafs up 4-1? Back to Fleury though, he set that record only years after coaches made it popular to play offensive players in short hand situations. It has been a popular trend since then. With the pp opportunities occurring in today's game, the right circumstances and a little luck it could happen.

Again take last night's game. Franson had 2 goals. If by chance they were both sh, he had close to 3 minutes to pot an empty netter. Its possible.
Yeah . . . It could be tied. I doubt ever broken. Still might not be even tied for a long, long time.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
tony d
Real Super Mario

Fluery was always a decent player, the type of guy every team would want. Think he'll make the Hall of Fame in a weak class and that his record of 3 SHG in a game may stand for a long time to come.

05-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Bob Kudelski

It's pretty amazing what he was able to do given his size, various addictions, and mental state. Almost incomprehensible really.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:20 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I wouldn't want him to make it. Point per game in a high scoring era isn't too impressive. Couple that with his cocaine and stripper problems and I don't think there's a spot for him.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
mobilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Blazers View Post
I wouldn't want him to make it. Point per game in a high scoring era isn't too impressive. Couple that with his cocaine and stripper problems and I don't think there's a spot for him.
Is it at all possible to have a stripper problem?

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
Is it at all possible to have a stripper problem?
Not having enough of them

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote