HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you welcome a Mason/Heeter tandem next year?

View Poll Results: Yes or No
Yes Mason is the guy and Heeter would be fine as backup. 10 11.24%
NO! I want other options. 74 83.15%
I'm unsure. 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
  #51
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The talent gap between those leagues and the AHL isn't that far off. In fact it's probably better than most of them.
Which leagues? The European leagues? Because that's my point. The top European leagues are better than the AHL (by whatever margin), so if proving yourself in the AHL gets you to the NHL, why doesn't it playing in the SEL, a better league?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:25 AM
  #52
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Which leagues? The European leagues? Because that's my point. The top European leagues are better than the AHL (by whatever margin), so if proving yourself in the AHL gets you to the NHL, why doesn't it playing in the SEL, a better league?
Because while you could say those leagues may be "better" in their overall talent makeup, they play a vastly different game than that of the NHL and the ahl and to an extent the chl. European players are typically said to need to "prove" themselves in these leagues because it shows that they can hang in the much more physical and wearing North American game. There are plenty of European players both now and historically that have/had an abundance of talent that simply couldn't play in the NHL or ahl because of the characteristics that set them apart. The Na game is much more physical, it's played on smaller ice do your transition instincts have to be great because offense and defense is one entity and can switch in a fraction of a second. The game needs to be thought quicker and you have so many different variables coming at you at once.

Just because someone is has great natural talent for the game and has playes in a more talented league like the sel or the khl, doesn't necessarily mean they can hang in the ahl or NHL. It's a different world for the most part.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:41 AM
  #53
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Because while you could say those leagues may be "better" in their overall talent makeup, they play a vastly different game than that of the NHL and the ahl and to an extent the chl. European players are typically said to need to "prove" themselves in these leagues because it shows that they can hang in the much more physical and wearing North American game. There are plenty of European players both now and historically that have/had an abundance of talent that simply couldn't play in the NHL or ahl because of the characteristics that set them apart. The Na game is much more physical, it's played on smaller ice do your transition instincts have to be great because offense and defense is one entity and can switch in a fraction of a second. The game needs to be thought quicker and you have so many different variables coming at you at once.

Just because someone is has great natural talent for the game and has playes in a more talented league like the sel or the khl, doesn't necessarily mean they can hang in the ahl or NHL. It's a different world for the most part.
Yeah, and I agree with that argument to an extent. But it's a waste of many players' time to have to go through this. The same argument could then namely also be applied for AHLers, former NHLers etc. going over to Europe to play there. Their game also won't necessarily translate well to the bigger ice, but they're given a chance right away without having to "prove themselves" again. That, of course, in and of itself isn't an argument for the NHL doing it the same way, and I guess since it is the best league in the world right now they can do things a bit differently. I can definitely see why the NHL teams want to do this, but it's a very "big business" way of approaching things, i.e. we don't care about our employees, we just want what's good for us. It's also a good way to stifle some, though not all, good talent, and prevent the league from getting better.

I know that not all good European goalies would do well in the NHL, but I still think sending someone to the ECHL is a bit much. This has nothing to do with entitlement, and this, to me, is the equivalent of getting treated like dirt and having all previous accomplishments laughed at. I can't really blame any of the players that get fed up with such crap for not giving it their all.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:12 PM
  #54
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not so sure. Even when he was good he was inconsistent season to season. If it was a one year deal, I wouldn't be too upset though.
Thomas really had one inconsistent year and that was in 09. He had a couple years where the the Bruins were horrible like in 06-07. In 09 he also needed hip surgery, which can be the reason behind the average numbers. Even in that average year he put up .915% and 2.5 GGA. He still is a very viable option in net.

He regularly puts over .920% and usually will give you .930% per year. That is enough for me right there. He is athletic as they come as well. Very rarely does he give up that soft goal either.

I like him better than Bryz. One year deals would be the exact way I go at it. Even Tim Thomas poor year is better what Bryz does here. I understand different systems, but Thomas is clearly the better goalie.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:27 PM
  #55
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,051
vCash: 500
id be all over T.T for one year for sure...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:28 PM
  #56
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
When has Bryzgalov *****ed about anything other than the Philadelphia media?
In PHX, several teammates hated him for throwing the defense under the bus (see Derek Morris) and there was certainly conversation about needing to play more as a motivation for not playing, then moving Bob.

He was also clearly exacerbated by not starting in the Winter Classic last season as well.

Bryz wears his emotions on his sleeve and will tell you when he's upset. That can rub people the wrong way when that person doesn't also look in the mirror at their own flaws with the same scrutiny.

Quote:
Q: There is a mental strength that is missing there, right?

We're actually glad -- first of all, I'm glad he's gone because the guy we brought in has done a great job and fitted in real well, made our team even closer. There was some animosity there with Bryz sometimes. We don't have that with [Mike Smith] so we have a good group and we're winning games because of it.
http://chirb.it/1EgC0k

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:34 PM
  #57
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Honestly, I think that a Bryz pairing with Mason is a recipe for disaster. I predict Bryz struggles, Mason plays, Bryz *****es and becomes a distraction. Frankly, unless we're planning to ride Bryz again (60+ starts), it's better that he's gone now.

Heeter should not be the back-up. We would need to bring in a veteran to pair with Mason. Backstrom, Nabakov, etc. Someone that gets missed on the first round of free agency (a la Vokoun).
You can't win with Bryz.

He doesn't feel comfortable with someone pushing him so we trade Bob.

He gets to be the work-horse and instead of bracing the role, he tells everyone he's tired.

It's pathetic, even if you are tired you don't say it to the media and in front of your teammates.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
  #58
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
One thing that always bothered me with Bryz is his lack of accountability. He never will take the fault for a game IIRC. He even says ask the coach or I can't answer that. God damn Anton Khubodin took credit for losing a game in Boston this year. He has played 20 damn games in the NHL. I understand goalies are whacky, but that doesn't mean they can't have character. It's unreal how the guy thinks he isn't the reason the puck ends up in the back of the net

Also his displays of hand waiving and other actions in the net. They reported last year the leadership group had to sit hi down and ask him to be a better player. That explains a lot right there. Self centered is never a player welcomed in a locker room. At least not in any I want to be part of. Character over skill any day.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:51 PM
  #59
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Thomas really had one inconsistent year and that was in 09. He had a couple years where the the Bruins were horrible like in 06-07. In 09 he also needed hip surgery, which can be the reason behind the average numbers. Even in that average year he put up .915% and 2.5 GGA. He still is a very viable option in net.

He regularly puts over .920% and usually will give you .930% per year. That is enough for me right there. He is athletic as they come as well. Very rarely does he give up that soft goal either.

I like him better than Bryz. One year deals would be the exact way I go at it. Even Tim Thomas poor year is better what Bryz does here. I understand different systems, but Thomas is clearly the better goalie.
Yeah, the thing is though will the Flyers be willing to go with another who isn't afraid to speak his mind? Personally I don't believe in Thomas' beliefs but he's entitled to his opinion and has the right to voice it. I could just see an organization being a little cautious about especially this one.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  #60
orangecrush8
Registered User
 
orangecrush8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Would people be on board with a Mason/Emery tandem?

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:00 PM
  #61
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah, the thing is though will the Flyers be willing to go with another who isn't afraid to speak his mind? Personally I don't believe in Thomas' beliefs but he's entitled to his opinion and has the right to voice it. I could just see an organization being a little cautious about especially this one.
Most of the nonsense he spews though comes after the year. Even during the year he told reporters he would not discuss it and he wouldn't. Only difference though is the Philly Media would continue to ask him the stupid questions after he repeatedly tells them he won't answer it. Boston had more respect and actual journalists up there.

Like I said, no matter what his beliefs are, he will give us a better chance to win now and in the future. Losing Bryz contract helps the Flyers in the long run, and Thomas is the better goalie(even at 39.) It's all about who gives us the best chance to win, and I think TT gives us that opportunity exponentially more than Bryz. TT will also be able to handle himself better with the media I think(not a knock on Bryz here.)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:11 PM
  #62
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Most of the nonsense he spews though comes after the year. Even during the year he told reporters he would not discuss it and he wouldn't. Only difference though is the Philly Media would continue to ask him the stupid questions after he repeatedly tells them he won't answer it. Boston had more respect and actual journalists up there.

Like I said, no matter what his beliefs are, he will give us a better chance to win now and in the future. Losing Bryz contract helps the Flyers in the long run, and Thomas is the better goalie(even at 39.) It's all about who gives us the best chance to win, and I think TT gives us that opportunity exponentially more than Bryz. TT will also be able to handle himself better with the media I think(not a knock on Bryz here.)
Yeah, I could cares how much of a nutjob he is along as he can stop the puck. I could just see it as a potential concern for the Flyers.

Anyway I'm hoping Luongo gets bought out and hits the market the most.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:15 PM
  #63
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Would people be on board with a Mason/Emery tandem?
yes.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:44 PM
  #64
daynus
Registered User
 
daynus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Good Ole Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
and i vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
yes.
another yes for this tandem.mason-emery.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
  #65
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
It depends on what the Flyers' goal is next year. If they are rebuilding/retooling Mason/Heeter is fine. If they plan on contending good luck with that.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
  #66
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Those European goalies do work their way up. Sending them to the ECHL is like them working their way up, getting kicked and trodden on, and then having them work their way up again, in contrast to NA goalies, who only have to go through the process once.
Which I'm sure is how Niko felt, but it was far from the case. I can safely assume that the Flyers wanted Hovinen to shine in the ECHL for a couple weeks, call him up and gift him the job in ADK, have him shine there, and then have Bryz's back-up for years to come. But Niko's attitude happened, then Wedgewood happened in Trenton, then Boucher/Leighton happened in ADK and knocked Heeter down to the ECHL and Niko out. If he played his tail off from the start, he could have potentially finished the year in Philly as a backup. He is a solid goalie.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
  #67
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,237
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Would people be on board with a Mason/Emery tandem?
That would be ideal.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:32 PM
  #68
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,640
vCash: 500
I don't think Emery would be a good fit on a sloppy defensive team like the Flyers are under Laviolette.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
  #69
wunderpanda
Sabretage
 
wunderpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I don't think Emery would be a good fit on a sloppy defensive team like the Flyers are under Laviolette.
Any interest in trading for Miller? He has years of experience on bad defensive teams in Buffalo and rarely had much scoring. Only a year left on his deal, plays 65-70 games a season while facing 40 shots a night.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  #70
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,051
vCash: 500
i have no interst in Miller or Emery..

sorry keep shopping.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:55 PM
  #71
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Any interest in trading for Miller? He has years of experience on bad defensive teams in Buffalo and rarely had much scoring. Only a year left on his deal, plays 65-70 games a season while facing 40 shots a night.
not for what he'd cost

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
  #72
wunderpanda
Sabretage
 
wunderpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
ok

was just curious

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
  #73
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter
 
PuqTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I don't think Emery would be a good fit on a sloppy defensive team like the Flyers are under Laviolette.
He would get lit up like a Christmas tree.

Source: I saw it happen to my team in the playoffs in 2011.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:48 PM
  #74
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,508
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Sure. I don't think it is the best option, but as long as Bryz is gone I'm cool with it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:14 PM
  #75
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,362
vCash: 500
Miller would be a fine option depending on the cost. I'd like to see him get a change of scenery and would give us to decent evaluation options with Mason.

That said, it all depends on cost. If there is some expectation of a top prospect or first round pick, not interested.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.